Chapter 3:

Time Machine

I woke up the next morning on the couch. I didn’t remember too much of what happened that night but what Hyuk had said earlier was stamped into my memory. I slowly got up off the couch, wondering how I got there and what was going on. I walked to the bathroom and started a shower, since I felt like that would be the only thing to really wake me up. I got undressed, took a shower for twenty some minutes, before getting out and wrapping a towel around my waist. When I exited the bathroom, I found my phone had two messages left on it. One of them was from Hyuk and the other from Hyunsik.


    Hyunsik’s message was about some girl who had some interest in me, but I ignored that, since I obviously had no interest in her. He was also complaining about all the work he had to do in the entertainment company and how he’d rather just dig a hole and live there. I send a text back saying I’ll help him dig that hole, which I knew would get him hyped up.


    Hyuk messaged me asking if I wanted to do something today. It finally seemed like everything was going back to the way it was before, which made me more than happy. Just as I was going to send a text back, saying I would love to, Hakyeon called me. I picked up and answered quickly.


    “What’s up, hyung?” I asked.


    “Let’s go somewhere today.” he said plainly.


    “I’m going somewhere with Hyuk…” I started to say.


    “No, you’re not, you’re coming with me. I’ll be there in five minutes.” he said, not taking no for an answer and hanging up quickly. I stood there for a bit, becoming confused, then realizing I needed to text Hyuk to tell him I couldn’t make it, a bit upset with Hakyeon for not even letting me say anything, but I was used to that, so I wasn’t so much surprised by it, just angry. I sent Hyuk a big message saying that I was “forced” to go out somewhere with Hakyeon and that’s why I couldn’t make it. Hyunsik also sent a message back, yelling at me for wanting him to disappear, but I quickly saved myself by saying I was only trying to help. Next thing I knew, Hakyeon was knocking on my door and I hadn’t even gotten dressed or dried my hair. I answered the door and Hakyeon grabbed my arm and started to pull me out of my apartment. He looked me up and down and shook his head.


    “Why aren’t you dressed? Are you trying to show off by walking around without your shirt? You can do that later, put some clothes on now.” Hakyeon said loudly. I hoped no one else could hear him. I quickly went in and changed into some clothes then was once again pulled from my apartment by Hakyeon.


    “Where are we going?” I asked him as we left my apartment building. 


    “You’ll see.” He said, smiling and dragged me halfway across the town to an amusement park. It looked familiar but I hadn’t gone to an amusement park in years, so I couldn’t recognize the place. “Remember this?” he asked, pointing toward the park. I shook my head. I really couldn’t. He squinted at me. “How could you not?”


    “I haven’t gone to any amusement park in years, why should I remember it?” I asked, still curious why Hakyeon dragged me here in the first place.


    “You know that one time, years ago when I was upset about how Leo left me?” I nodded. “And you took me here to cheer me up?” I nodded again. Now it all made sense. “Well, ever since Hyuk came back, you’ve seemed down, so I wanted to cheer you up the way you did for me!” he beamed. I chuckled. This hyung was sweet, but he had the wrong idea.


    “I’m not upset. I’m actually quite happy now that Hyuk came back.” I explained. Hakyeon seemed a bit upset now that his plan wasn’t as full-proof as he expected. I patted his shoulder. “I’ll ride the rides with you, though if you really want me to.” I smiled at him and his face lit up immediately. He bought tickets and we both entered the large amusement park. I was shocked when he brought me to a giant rollercoaster since I knew how scared he was of those things, but I quickly realized his plan—he wasn’t going to ride it, just I was. I almost hit him but decided just to do it for him, but after it was over, I regretted everything. Hakyeon seemed to find it funny as I walked off the rollercoaster, my hair in a mess and my face blank and shocked.


    When I returned to reality, I ended up hitting my hyung for making me do that and I decided I was never going to ride a rollercoaster again. Hakyeon, on the other hand, didn’t want to hear it. He pulled me to different rides and tried to make me get on them, but I fought him and eventually, we just agreed on the merry-go-round. 


     We both sat silently on the horses we chose, with little kids all around us, waving to their parents and laughing. I felt like one of them once again and everything seemed so perfect in that moment; Hyuk was back, my friends had come back together and nothing appeared at all like it was going to go bad. I honestly couldn’t have asked for more. 


     After we finished riding all the rides we wanted to, we ate lunch at the small food court inside the amusement park. We both got a burger and talked about different things. I asked about Leo but Hakyeon danced around the topic, which made me suspect something happened. Then I asked what went on last night and why I couldn’t remember anything. Hakyeon shrugged, telling me I went off with Hyuk and he didn’t see us for the rest of the day. I put my head in my hands and thought. How could I not remember what happened? It all seemed pretty suspicious.


     By the end of the lunch, we started walking back, Hakyeon saying he’d walk me home. There was a weird silence that followed us to my apartment. I usually was used to Hakyeon talking nonstop but now it looked as if he didn’t even want to talk. I wondered what I had said to cause this; it was probably about the Leo thing. It’s funny how much trouble a guy who hardly says anything has been able to cause.


    “I’ll see you later, hyung.” I waved goodbye to Hakyeon as I entered my apartment building. Just as I was about to get onto the elevator, Hakyeon came running to me and hugged me tightly, catching me totally off guard. I hugged him back, awkwardly, unsure what the reason of this sudden skinship was.  He continued hugging me for a bit, then ran off, leaving me standing in my apartment lobby, wondering what just happened.