Chapter 4:

Time Machine

Tuesday came a lot faster than I expected and I found myself at work again with Ilhoon and Jessica. For once, Jessica hadn’t come in late and she was actually quite in a good mood, which was unusually rare.


    “Why are you so happy today?” I heard Ilhoon ask her while they were waiting for some costumers to come in. It was one of the slowest days in a while and I was sitting at one of the tables, organizing some papers and figuring out which people to hire.


    “Why do you care?” she snapped back.


    “Because you’re usually never smiling nonstop.” Ilhoon commented, leaning back on the counter. Jessica scoffed and rolled her eyes.


    “I don’t have to tell you!” she said harshly and the two started bickering. They were both in their early twenties and apparently, they were not at all anything alike other than that. I stood up and walked over to them, trying to hide my laughter behind my serious expression. 


    “Guys,” I said loudly, trying to direct their attention to me. Ilhoon looked up quickly, but Jessica was still glaring holes into Ilhoon’s head. “I’ve had most of my interviews so far and I’m pretty sure who I’ve chosen to hire, so expect some new co-workers in here soon. Treat them nice, please.” I smiled widely. Jessica shook her head.


    “I’ve always treated people nice, it’s that Ilhoon who is rude!” she crossed her arms across her chest. They started fighting again. I hoped that once the new people came I could schedule those two on different days, so they wouldn’t cause trouble. Suddenly, someone jumped on top of me, making me trip. I spun around and saw Hyunsik with a wide smile on his face. 


    “What are you doing? You could’ve broken my back!” I raised my voice teasingly at my friend. Hyunsik threw his arm around my shoulder and walked closer to the counter; I had no choice but to follow him.

    “Jessica, Ilhoon! What’s up, guys?” Hyunsik greeted them. He knew them well enough since he was always coming in there to bother me. Jessica had quite the liking toward him and whenever he came in, she was overly nice to him. She hated the fact that he talked to Ilhoon more, but that was only because they got along better.  He didn’t wait for them to respond and casually sat on the counter. “You should hire me here. I’d be great.” he started fixing his hair and looking around the café. 


    “Yes! Yes! Hongbin-sunbae, you should definitely hire him!” Jessica nodded quickly, clapping her hands. Hyunsik smiled smugly.


    “The pretty lady wants me here.” I rolled my eyes at the comment.


    “You didn’t apply, so I’m sorry, I can’t help you.” I said and walked behind the counter.


    “Then get me a latte, I’m thirsty.” Hyunsik said, jumping off the counter and paying for the drink. He looked a bit defeated, but he wasn’t about to let that destroy his ego. Jessica quickly ran to go make the drink for him before anyone else could. Hyunsik watched her and shook her head. I knew exactly what he was thinking: she was desperate. He hated girls like that, even if that appeared a little off, since you’d think it would only boost his already super high self-esteem. 


    I heard the door open and a familiar voice was lifted though the store.


    “Is there a party in here, Hongbin?” it was Ken and Hyuk. They both had big jackets on and looked as if they’d been running for ten miles; sweat was dripping down their faces. I wasn’t surprised, since it was 80 degrees out and only idiots would wear winter jackets out that day.


    “I only wish.” I responded with a light chuckle. Hyunsik walked up beside me and looked at the two.


    “Who are they?” he said with a skeptical look in his eyes.


    “Hyunsik, I’ve told you about Hyuk, right? Well, that’s him, and that’s Ken.” I introduced the two to my other friend. They greeted him nicely but he still looked a bit suspicious of them for reasons unknown to me. 


    “Why are you wearing those jackets?” Hyunsik commented on the thing that had been bothering me. Ken and Hyuk looked at each other and shrugged back to us, looking as if they were unaware of it the whole time. They soon took the jackets off and I was thankful, since I was feeling hot just looking at them.


    “Hey, Hongbin,” Hyuk started. “Did you decide who you’re going to hire?” he asked, cutely. I raised my eyebrow at him, knowing exactly what he was doing.


    “It’s a surprise.” I said and he pouted. 


     Soon, everyone, including Hyunsik, Jessica and Ilhoon, were sitting at a table and talking, totally forgetting that there was “work” to be done. Hyunsik and Ken actually got along pretty well. I was pretty relieved because knowing Hyunsik, he can get a bit greedy with his friends. Jessica, once again, seemed upset that Hyunsik wasn’t paying attention to her and Hyuk, Ilhoon, and I were just casually talking. 


    Jessica soon had enough and pushed Ken aside to talk to Hyunsik, but it only just caught Ken’s attention, since he was always quite interested in the ladies, much like Ravi used to be. Jessica didn’t seem to be the least bit interested in Ken and when Hyunsik realized Ken was trying to get Jessica to talk to him, Hyunsik got jealous. The whole situation looked pretty dumb to anyone watching which is why Hyuk, Ilhoon and I started laughing uncontrollably when it occurred. 


     Eventually, Ken had to go, but he arranged that everyone get together again, because “it was really fun meeting you all”. Hyuk and Hyunsik stayed behind with us and kept us company while we waited for the long, slow day at work to be over.

---

    Hyunsik and Hyuk accompanied me home. I spent most of my time talking with Hyuk and it was obvious Hyunsik was already jealous of all the attention Hyuk was getting. It was probably really killing his self-image. When we got to my apartment building, I said goodbye to Hyuk but Hyunsik invited himself in. I was kind of surprised and was wondering what was going through his mind, but I was soon even more shocked when Ravi came running up to us from down the street. 

    He grabbed my hand and started pulling me in the direction he came in. Hyunsik started calling my name loudly, trying to get me to come back, but it was obvious that Ravi wasn’t about to turn around, even if I fought against him. I rolled my eyes. This day was getting weird each minute.

---

Sorry my update is so late. I've had terrible writer's block and I can't even come up with anything new lately. Please enjoy the chapter though. Thanks.