Chapter 9:

Time Machine

Ravi came over to check up on Hakyeon an hour or so later. I once again tried to leave because I knew it would get awkward between Ravi and me, but Hakyeon wouldn’t have it. He complained that I didn’t like him enough, which seemed a bit baby-ish to me, but still had an effect—I didn’t leave. Surprisingly enough, Ravi talked to me. I didn’t expect this at all, so when he addressed me, I was caught off guard.

     By then Hakyeon had limped into his room to get something, leaving Ravi and me alone. Ravi was sitting on the couch and I decided to pour myself a glass of water. I heard Ravi clear his throat behind me.

    “Hey, Hongbin,” he started. I turned around, “Yeah?” He took a bit to finish what he started. “You know, I’m sorry about whatever happened that made you so mad at me to being with. This apology is probably years overdue, but I really do mean it.” he gave me a weak smile. I stood in my spot silently for a few seconds.

     “I… I’ll forgive you.” I responded at last. Ravi stood up and walked over to me, hugging me tightly. Just then, Hakyeon walked out of the room and spotted us. I looked at my older friend, who was holding something tight in his hands. I caught a hint of sadness in his eyes and pulled away from the embrace with Ravi, becoming confused. Then I remembered that time Hakyeon told me to forget about Hyuk and how I knew it was coming from Ravi. I pushed Ravi away harshly.

     “You know what? I don’t forgive you!” I shouted. “You’ve been a little to me this whole entire time. I don’t want to be your friend anymore.” I grabbed my jacket off the jacket holder and stormed out of the apartment. I heard Hakyeon calling me, but I kept walking, feeling worse than I had in ages.

---

     “Hongbin? Hongbin? Please pick up.” Hakyeon’s voice was shaky over the answer machine on my phone. “I’m really worried… please.” I shook my head as if he could see me. I was lying on my bed. I didn’t even know what time it was, but honestly I didn’t care. I didn’t want to have anything to do with Ravi and if that meant cutting Hakyeon off, so be it. Another call came through right as Hakyeon hung up. I let it go to the answering machine, thinking it was Hakyeon again.

     “Hongbin, it’s me, Hyuk. Can you meet me at my place in an hour? I really need to talk to you.” His voice hinted a bit of nervousness, but not anything like Hakyeon’s. I sat up in my bed and sighed. Would it hurt to go see Hyuk? Probably not, but I couldn’t help but worry that Ravi was there.

     I had no clue why I was being so scared about this, but something inside of me exploded when I was at Hakyeon’s house earlier. Maybe it was the fact that Ravi had done nothing nice to me in the past few years and I couldn’t stand that anymore. Or maybe it was that look Hakyeon gave me when he caught Ravi hugging me. Either way I was being totally irrational.

     I decided I would go to Hyuk’s house. He and Ravi weren’t close enough to be conspiracing against me anyway. I waited until I only had a little while left before heading out to Hyuk’s residence.

---

     He answered the door with a smile on his face. I tried to give him one back, but it was obvious that it was forced. Nevertheless, he invited me in and I sat down on his blue, not too comfortable couch. He offered me something to eat but I refused. His apartment wasn’t much bigger than mine and had the same general layout; a bedroom, washroom and a combined kitchen/living room. His seemed more comfortable though, if you don’t include the couch that is.

     “Why’d you call me over?” I asked, getting ready for some bad news.

     “I’ve been thinking a lot… about us, you know? We’ve been good friends for a while and of course, before I left for Japan, we were a bit more,” he was fidgeting with his hands. As far as I could tell, this was going to take a bad turn. “I really miss that and I know this is probably coming out of nowhere, but Hongbin-hyung, will you… be my boyfriend?”

 

---

I want to apologize for being so late with the update and everything and thank all the loyal subscribers who've stayed with me. Honestly, it's just totally slipped my mind to update and now that school's out (since I would usually write this at school), the updates will either get slower or faster. Either way, hope you enjoy the double update!!