Chapter 8:

Time Machine

“Hakyeon hyung got hit by a car! Come to the hospital quick!” Hyuk’s frantic voice shouted over the phone.

     “I’m on my way.” I said back, trying to remain calm, but I could tell my voice was shaky. Everyone in the café looked at me, worriedly.

     “I have to go. Jessica, can you take my spot and if you need help, ask Jihyun or Hyunsik. Bye!” I ran out of the store, forgetting to grab my jacket and everything else I had brought that morning. The hospital wasn’t too far but I doubted I would get there quickly just by running. I hailed a cab and got to the hospital in less than five minutes.

     The lady at the desk told me Hakyeon was in room number 305 and I rode the elevator up to the third floor. There were a lot of people running around on this floor, but I navigated my way around, trying not to get lost in the crowd. 305 wasn’t too far down the hall, as expected, and I pushed my way into the white room. Hyuk was sitting on a chair next to the bed. He looked up when I walked in.

     “Hongbin-hyung, you’re here!” he said, but I ignored his greeting and ran over to the bed where Hakyeon lay. His eyes were closed shut and he looked like he was sleeping, though I knew he wasn’t.

     “What happened? Is he okay?” I started asking questions.

     “He was walking across the street and a car came speeding by and hit him. The driver didn’t stop though, and we couldn’t get the license. He got knocked out cold and his leg is broken but the doctors said he’s fine.” Hyuk explained. I breathed a sigh of relief. If they had said he was going to die, I wouldn’t have known what to do. I sunk down in the other chair in the room.

     “You were there, right?”

     “Yeah, we were hanging out. Thank God too, since if I wasn’t he probably would’ve been a lot worse. He was bleeding all over the place, since he hit his head when he fell, but that injury isn’t as bad as his leg is.” Hyuk told me. I looked at Hakyeon’s unconscious figure. The beeping sound in the room seemed to get louder and I felt sick myself. I had hated hospitals ever since I was little and the fact that one of my best friend’s was in this horrid place now made it even worse.

     I was just about to say something else, when Ravi burst through the door, making both Hyuk and I jump. He ran over to the bed without a word to either of us. He spun around and looked at Hyuk, seeming to ignore my presence.

     “Is he okay?” he asked hurriedly.

     “Yeah, fine. Just unconscious, but fine.” Hyuk smiled. Ravi nodded, looking a bit more relived. He stood in the room, silently, causing an awkward air. We all just stayed there, not saying a word to anyone. A nurse would sometimes come in and ask if anything happened, but other than that, it was silent except the mechanical beeping. Eventually, Ravi had to leave and so did Hyuk, but I stayed behind, not wanting to leave Hakyeon alone. The nurse once again walked in, but seeing I was the only one waiting, she began talking to me.

     “Anything?”

     “Nope.” I shook my head.

     “He’s going to be okay. You don’t have to stay if you don’t want to.” she explained, setting down a glass of water by Hakyeon’s bed.

     “I want to,” I told her.

     “Do you want anything to eat?”

     “Not at the moment.”

     “Call me if you do.” she nodded then walked out. I sighed and eventually fell asleep on the chair.

---

     When I woke up, I saw that so had Hakyeon. He was sitting up, smiling at me. I rubbed my eyes and stretched my neck as it hurt from the position I was sleeping in.

     “Morning, Hongbin.” Hakyeon said softly. His voice seemed a bit tired and hoarse. I wondered why. I stood up quickly and walked over to the bed.

     “Are you feeling okay?” I examined his smiling face. His head had a big bruise and cut on it but otherwise he looked okay.

     “I’m great!” I sighed in relief.

     “Should I call Hyuk or Ravi…?” I started but he shook his head.

     “Later,” I pulled the chair up and sat by the bed. I wanted to stay but I knew I shouldn’t since I probably already exceeded my time limit. Not to mention, I should get back to work.

     “Hyung, I should probably get going…” I began again, but he cut me off.

     “No, stay, please.” he looked at me with pleading eyes and I couldn’t say no to him. I sat down again and Hakyeon started telling me what happened when he got hit with the car. I listened to him, but I had already heard the story, so it was hard for me to follow along the whole time. Every now and then I would stare off at the wall, then Hakyeon would shout and I’d be brought back to reality.

     His story was cut off by my phone, which I hadn’t noticed had four missed calls on it and even more unread messages. I answered it and was met with a frantic Ken.

     “I heard about Hakyeon! What happened?” he asked.

     “He just got hit and broke his leg. He’s fine, though. Don’t worry.” I explained to Ken. Hakyeon poked my shoulder and asked who it was. When I told him, he asked to speak to Ken. I handed the phone over and they began talking. After a bit, the conversation turned less serious and the two were laughing pretty hard over something I had no interest in. Sure, I was worried about Hakyeon, but at the same time, there were other places I’d rather be in a hospital. I knew I couldn’t leave Hakyeon alone in this place unless one of the other guys came. Eventually, Hakyeon hung up and his smile was even wider.

     “When I woke up this morning, they told me I could leave later today.” Hakyeon told me. “My leg’s just broken. There are no big injuries to the head either.” he nodded. I smiled back at him, thankful he was alright.

     “When are they letting you out?”

     “When the doctor says so,”

     “Are you hungry?” I stood up again, about to go get the nurse if needed. He shook his head.

     “No, just stay with me.” he said sweetly. I sat back down, wondering when the doctors were planning to let him out.

---

     The doctors eventually came in around lunch and gave Hakyeon the go to leave. We all helped him out and that was the first time I saw the cast around his leg. I suddenly remembered his job as a dance teacher and questioned what he was going to do now. He got some crutches and I walked him to the main desk where he was going to sign out and what not.

     I watched all the other patients go by while Hakyeon was clearing things up. Once he was done we left the hospital. He didn’t seem to want to go home for some reason, but I made him, since I didn’t want him to get any more injuries.

     “Let’s order lunch,” he suggested when we got back to his apartment.

     “From where?” I asked, while looking through the menus he had pulled out. There were tons of different take-out places around; it was hard to choose just one. Nonetheless, Hakyeon picked out a chicken place down the street and we ordered a bit too much food for two people.

     “Maybe we should just invite all the others over to eat with us considering the amount of food we just ordered.” I joked. Hakyeon didn’t seem to find it funny, which surprised me.

     “Nah, we’re good,” he said seriously. I pouted a bit but went over and sat on the chair next to the couch he was laying on. He the TV and changed the channel until it came to Music Bank. A-Pink was dancing to their new release, “Mr. Chu.” Hakyeon clapped, shouting that he loved them. I couldn’t hold back my laughter.

     “Don’t you like them?” he asked.

     “They’re okay.” I shrugged. I wasn’t into the big K-Pop scene, like my hyung was. He was really into it because of the dances, though. He was always teaching his students new dances from the idols.

     “Okay? Psh, your loss.” He commented and turned back to the screen. I laughed again and I noticed that Hakyeon seemed proud of himself for making me laugh. That confused me since I was always laughing at his jokes.

     Soon after, the food delivery arrived and we both ate quickly. Surprisingly, we ate the whole meal, since we were a bit hungry after eating so little in the hospital. After we were done, I was cleaning out the dishes. I suddenly felt Hakyeon’s arms wrap around my waist. I stood there frozen, wondering why he was hugging me.

     “Hyung, what are you doing? You should be resting.” I mumbled. He smiled a bit.

     “I dropped my crutches.” I looked down and saw the crutches lying on the ground. I rolled my eyes. This hyung was trying to be funny. I reached down to get them but he told me he didn’t need them now. I shrugged, not thinking anything of it and continued cleaning the dishes, all the while, Hakyeon clinging tightly to me.