Chapter 4

Said You Love Me But You Lied

           A 10-year old girl sat on the corner of the studio, her eyes teary. It had been two hours already after her dance classes, but she still remained there, just like she does every single day after practice. It was in order to improve her skills in dancing, and during the past few days, she was enthusiastic about it, keeping in mind that everyday, she'll change little by little. She was filled with hope. 


    But today, it was different.
             The hope in her eyes was lost. There was nothing more to hope for. She now accepted that no matter how much she desires to acquire the skill in dancing, she'd never be able to do it. She just wasn't born to be a dancer. Just like philosophers say, "Great people are born, not made." And she was born without this talent.


             What is wrong with you? Come on, if you always get the steps wrong, you'll make the group go down! How stupid can you get? We learned this last week and you still don't get it? All of us here are ready to perform, and you aren't, so how could we perform perfectly with you ruining everything?!


    The voices echoed in her mind. Weeks before right now, she had joined the class, and paid for it. She entered the Dancing Classes without knowing a thing about it--not even how to dance. Whenever they were assigned to groups, she was always a curse to her group. She was destruction to them. No one wanted her. She couldn't master the choreographies fast unlike them. She was the slowest, the dorkiest dancer among them, and everyone looked down on her. But it didn't matter to her. 

 

    Someday, I'll get better in dancing.
    Someday, I'll be able to dance like them.
    Someday, they will say sorry for underestimating me.
    Someday, I'll be a star. And they'll look up to me.

 

But someday never comes. 


           Why do you even dance? You know you can't dance. You don't even have a talent for dancing. You're simply not good at it, so why do you keep on dancing? I think it's so much better if you just quit. You just have the passion for dancing, but not the talent. Without the talent, your passion is useless like a pen without ink.


           That was what one of her groupmates had told her one time, after she made them the last placer in a certain performance because she forgot the moves, danced a beat delayed, and even tripped while dancing. She had made the group a laughing stock.
           She didn't mind it before. All the words of dicouragement were nothing to her. She didn't let them bring her self-esteem down. She kept dancing, practicing even if the class was over. She never gave up. 


    Until now.
          Today, she stayed after the classes not to practice, but to take a last sight at the place. She's gonna miss the studio, the place where she should've learned how to dance. She tried to reminisce happy moments which happened in the studio, but all she could remember were her classmates' scowls and hurtful words. In barely an hour, she couldn't help but cry.
          She had already told the Dance Instructor that she'll quit dancing. The DI merely nodded and whispered "Don't worry darling, even if you can't dance, maybe you'll find your talent in singing or maybe in sports." The words pierced her heart. Even the DI thought she didn't have the gift of dancing.
          She stood up and faced the mirror. She forced a smile at her worn out figure. Maybe she really wasn't meant for this. She pulled out her handkerchief and wiped her tears, but her eyes remained red and puffy.


    "I thought maybe...
    Maybe someday, I would achieve this talent,
    That someday, they'll beg for forgiveness for the mean words they told me,
    I believed that I'd be able to outshine them someday...
    Someday..."


        She said, starting to look crazy because she was talking to herself. She stared at her own self in the mirror, and then removed her cap which had the word "Dance" imprinted on it. She removed her ponytail and her hair fell straight on her back. Students with caps and ponytails were the symbol that they were dancers in their school. Now, she didn't look like one anymore.


    "But someday never comes."
         She finished her statement with a smile. She moved away, grabbed her bag and once more wiped the tears which were uncontrollably falling from her eyes. She was about to leave the studio when she realized she wasn't alone. There, just at the door frame was someone--a boy, who leaned on the door was waiting. She stopped in shock, and wondered if he'd been there all the time and watching and listening, and if she was too broken to notice his presence. He wore a cap, and jazz pants, signifying that he's a dancer.
         She recovered from the surprise and just went on. It didn't matter now.


         But just when she was about to pass by the doorway and just get out and never come back, the boy spoke. "I think that 'someday' will come." He said, looking at her in the eyes. His cap had shadowed his eyes, but she could make them out--deep, dark, and mysterious. 
       "You'll be able to dance someday. And I believe you'll outshine them." he said, removing his cap to reveal his face. She recognized him immediately. He was about her age, and he's also a dancer. Kim Jong In. He's famous in their school for being an outstanding pupil despite his age. She blinked. Right away, she was bitter.


        "Thanks, but I don't think you should be saying that. How could you, when you've never even failed. The 'someday' that I'm talking about seems to be everyday to you. Saying that 'someday' will come seems more like an insult." she said, trying to get past the door, but he just blocked her way. For a moment, there was silence, and then the boy started to move inside the studio, taking a seat on the floor. "I've failed many times before." he said, looking up at her.


         "Really. Well, I've never been successful before." she said, her voice cold. The boy smiled gently. "I don't think you're the type who'd easily give up." He told her. Her stomach churned. She didn't know why. "How could you say that... when you don't even know me." she answered back, almost snapping at him.


       "You're right. I don't know you. I may not know you, and I'm sorry for not minding my own business." he answered her softly. It made her guilty. He was just trying to encourage her once again, but she was so bitter and cold to the point that she just threw mean words at him. She just stood there, unable to speak, frozen in place, not knowing what to do.
        He stood up, put up his cap once again. He walked towards her and met her eyes. "I believe that you have the passion for dancing. It's true that without talent, passion would be useless, and vise versa. The thing is, I believe passion can build up talent." He said with one last smile and reached for his cap. It was just like her dancing cap which she had removed earlier. All dancing students had the same cap, only that their names were imprinted on them.
        He put it on her head, and reached for her cap which she was holding. "Now, let's just say I'm taking your cap of misery and replacing it with a new one. Don't give up."

And he walked away.