Prologue

Said You Love Me But You Lied

             We kept our silence and watched the moon that was pinned to the night sky shine brightly. It hovered over the empty black space dimpled with the twinkling stars as if it owned the night, and it really did, but the moment was for Kai and me. 


            "Kai?" I pronounced his name without taking away my glance at the flat round of light that remained hanging on the sky. He moved and looked at my direction, but I didn't dare meet his eyes or I'll melt to nothing. 


            "Nothing. It's just... " I blinked a few times and realized how romantic the scene was. Kim Jong In, whom I had always liked since middle school, the one whom I thought I would never have, was now with me, lying on this patch of grass with no one else but me, and we're watching the night sky like it would fade away from our grasp when the sun shines again. 
           

            "The moon is flawless." I told him but it sounded more like a whisper. He looked at the moon and nodded in approval. "It sure is." He said. The cold night air blew past us and we both hugged ourselves as a reaction. 


            "Jong In," I just love saying his name. I'd never ever get tired of doing so. I looked at him, and in no time, we were both looking at each other's eyes. I wanted to freeze time and wish that it would be stuck in this moment, so I won't ever wish to look at his deep eyes again because I'm already doing so. He smiled at me, and I swear my knees felt like jelly and my  heart ached at the thought that one day, I'm gonna miss this smile of his.


             "You know, I'm like the moon. We are all like the moon." My voice trailed off as I registered in my mind that we were still looking into each other's eyes. "Why?" He asked. I know that all he says are too plainly stated, but they were just the words I wanted him to say. "We all have our dark sides." I said as my eyes blinked in a daze and my lips formed a smile that I did not know of. "And we are cratered by imperfections." I ended the thought that came to my mind as he smiled again, showing his perfect white teeth. My heart began to pound loud against my chest, too loud that I think he can even hear it.


              "Yoona, you know, I've always loved your words." He complemented, and they were more than the words I wanted him to say. His smile did not disappear, instead, it even grew wider, and I knew that look. It was the smile he does whenever an idea comes to his mind. My heartbeats became louder, and my chest tightened. "But I love you more." he finally said. My heart lightened and I didn't notice the tiny smile on my face. I didn't what to say or how to even speak. Then my lips moved and said the words I've always wanted to say to him, but never had the chance to.


               "I love you too, Kim Jong In." And the words that I've never spoken has left my mouth, in a way I could never take back, and all I wanted was to keep the memory forever and never throw it away.


               I didn't realize that they were the words I'd regret I've said to him. It left me stuck in the past, unable to turn a new page of the book and start anew.  But I admit, it made me more than stronger.