The First Days

Cheer Up, Dude

"Hey honey.. You ready for your first day at your new high school?" Jekyung's mom asked her while Jekyung ate breakfast. "I guess you could say that.." she said looking at her breakfast in front of her. 

"Well, I think it'll go great.. Where's your father?"

"You mean your new husband?"

"He's also your father.."

"No.. He's not.." Jekyung snapped. Her mom looked at her in concern as Jekyung ate the rest of her breakfast.. Soon, her wrist watch started to beep and she sat up. "I'm gunna be late for the bus. See ya mom" she smiled and gave her mom a small peck on the cheek. And like that, Jekyung was on her way to school.

----

Jekyung looked at her schedule again as she wandered around the school. "Looks bigger than the last one" she thought. Finally she made it to her first class of the day and walked in. "Annyeonghaseyo, Han Jekyung inmida!" Jekyung smiled and gave the class a bow. "Han Jekyung" the teacher said as she look down at the clipboard in her hands. "Welcome. Have a seat anywhere"

Jekyung smiled and spotted a desk next to one boy in the back. "The back is always the best spot" she thought and walked to her new seat.

When she sat down, she looked over at the boy she was sitting next to, who was dozing off. Jekyung decided not to interfere and started working. After ten minutes, the boy had his head on his desk, sleeping soundly.

"YAH! SHIN SOOHYUN!" the teacher yelled. The boy sitting next to Jekyung sprung up and rubbed his eyes. "Joehsonghapnida, seonsaengnim!" he spurted and looked down at his notes.

Jekyung let out a small giggle, which the boy caught. "It's not funny" he pouted. "This teacher must be a strict one. Back at my old school, the teachers weren't so about sleeping in class" Jekyung whispered. "Really? Then I'd love to go there" the boy rolled his eyes. "I'm Jekyung.. Nice to meet you" she smiled and offered a hand to shake. 

"Soohyun. Nice to meet you too" he finally smiled and took her hand to shake it.

----

After class, Jekyung was wandering aimlessly around the halls during lunch time when she came across Soohyun again with what seemed like a friend of his, but this time, he and his friend were being teased by other students. "Not today" she thought and walked over to them. 

"Hey! Hey! Leave them alone" Jekyung walked in on the scene. Nobody was prepared when one of the female students slapped Jekyung right across the face. Soohyun cringed and the boy sitting next to him took this oppurtunity to leave. "Beat it, new girl" the female student said. Jekyung couldn't believe what had just happened and gasped. "NO!" her voice cracked. 

The bullies just shrugged and walked away.

"Jesus! Are you okay?" Soohyun got up and looked down at Jekyung. 

Jekyung, who had never been slapped before, was shocked and unable to speak. She breathed in and out, holding her cheek. "I don't know.. How dare she?" she said distraught.. "Wanna put some ice on your cheek. It's really red. I can bring you to the nurse" Soohyun offered. "No it's fine. I'll be alright"

"Okay good" he said. Soohyun and Jekyung both took a moment to catch their breaths

"Hey, what about your friend, is he okay?"

"My friend?"

"Yeah.. The kid you were sitting next to.."

"Oh about that. That was just a guy who goes here.. He doesn't talk to anyone and he's really lonely. Apparently he gets bullied a lot, so I decided to try and approach him.. I guess I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time..."

"So.. He's not your friend.."

"No"

Jekyung sighed. "I hope he'll be okay" she said looking off to the direction he ran off. 

----

When school was over, Jekyung walked home to enjoy the nice breeze. And besides, it would be the only nice thing about her day anyway. When she walked into her house, she found her mom and step father on the couch cuddling, which made her gag. 

"Oh. Hey, how was your first day?" Jekyung's mom asked.

"Hi, mom. Hi... Mr. Kim" Jekyung addressed her mother and step father. 

"How was your day?" her step father asked.

"Well, it wasn't the best day of my life." Jekyung rolled her eyes and walked into the kitchen for a snack. While she chewed on a banana, Jekyung's mother walked in and sat at the table with her daughter. "Come on, tell me" she said. 

"Well, I got lost a little for the first part. I did meet this guy I sit next to in first hour, he's pretty nice. But then I saw that he was getting bullied, so I tried to stand up for him and I got a slap in the face" Jekyung described her day

"Well, why don't you go upstairs and do your homework?" her mom suggested. Jekyung nodded and walked upstairs

----

The next day, Jekyung and her biology class went on a field trip to the museum of marine biology. 

"Okay! Everyone. I'm gunna need you to pick a partner that you'll need to stay with for the entire day" the teacher said in the bus. Since Soohyun was the only person Jekyung knew, she looked for him in the bus and saw him sitting next to nobody, so she inched over to sit next to him. When he saw her sit next to him, he was surprised.

"You wanna be my partner?" Soohyun asked. "You're the only person I know" Jekyung shrugged.

After the kids flooded out of the bus, they all got with their partners and went on their tour. All the partners had to lock arms so they couldn't separate.

Jekyung was looking at jellyfish by herself when she felt a weight on her shoulder. Soohyun fell asleep and rested his head on her shoulder. "Uuuhh, no thanks" she thought and shrugged her shoudler. Soohyun popped up and yawned. "Sorry"

"Is there a time when you're NOT tired or sleeping.." 

"Sure there is. You're just never around to see it" Soohyun teased. 

They continued to walk when Jekyung felt like she had to go to the bathroom. "Soohyun-ah. I need to use the bathroom. Let go for a minute" Jekyung said. Soohyun unlocked arms with Jekyung

"Okay. Don't get lost" he said before she started wandering off for the bathroom. The boys' and girls' bathroom were side by side down their own separate halls.

When Jekyung was done in the bathroom, she walked past a fish tank with beautiful fish inside. One the other side of the tank was the hall to the boys' restroom. Jekyung smiled as she examined the scales of the fish and the colors. She looked through a hole in the coral and saw..

An eye..

A human eye..

Jekyung jumped back in surprise. Then she understood there was a boy looking into the fish tank on the other side. She approached the fish tank again and saw the boy on the other side looking at her through the tank. Jekyung saw him and couldn't help but smile. "He's cute" she thought

Jekyung smiled and waved. But the boy didn't do anything but stare at her in wonder, like he had never seen a girl before. Jekyung looked back at him and put her hand against the glass of the tank.. Soon, the boy put his hand on the same spot on the other side. Jekyung thought this was cute and blushed. She started to move her hand in circles and the boy mirrored her movements. 

After a while, the boy finally smiled.

He looked into her eyes. And she looked into his eyes.

Jekyung couldn't stop smiling and continued to make shapes with her hands on the tank, which the boy did the same way.

"Who is he?"

"Does he go to my school?"

"Is he on this fieldtrip?"

"Does he have a partner?"

"What's his name?" Jekyung's head exploded with questions. "What's your name?" Jekyung mouthed, knowing he wouldn't be able to hear her. The boys' smile dropped and he looked down. Jekyung rushed to the other side of the hall to meet up with him. The boy tried to run, but he wasn't fast enough and Jekyung made it to him before he could escape. 

Jekyung looked at the boy while he stared back at her. "What's your name? My name is Han Jekyung.." she smiled and held out her hand. The boy looked at her with empty, yet curious eyes.

"Everyone, it's time to make it back to the buses" Jekyung and the boy could hear their teacher announce. While Jekyung wasn't looking, the boy ran the other way.

Jekyung looked down at the ground and sighed.

While the boy watched her from behind the wall, he scolded himself for being so shy. He watched as Jekyung turned around and met back up with Soohyun. 

----

"Why did you take so long in the bathroom? Jeez" Soohyun rolled his eyes when Jekyung locked arms with him again. "Sorry about that. I had to poop" she laughed

"Ewww, what the heck??" Soohyun wrinkled his nose

"Well you wanted to know!" she laughed louder

"Well give me a warning next time.." he hissed

After the fieldtrip and school, Soohyun and Jekyung went out for ice cream.. But Jekyung could not stop thinking about the boy she saw at the museum

----

AND THE FIRST CHAPTER IS DONE. IT'S A TAD SHORT. DON'T BE TOO HARSH