Chapter 4: Chained

Running Man Horror: The Lost Episode

Sujeong took the next mission card and read it next to her new partner Kook.

“While using the paper chain bracelet with your partner, head to the pool.”

Jae Suk read his next to Ji Hyo.

“While using the paper chain bracelet with your partner, head to the gym.”

Haha and Gary also received the same card as Jae Suk and Ji Hyo. Last but not least, the Easy Brothers Kwang Soo and Suk Jin.

“While using the paper chain bracelet with your partner, head to the basketball court.”

After all the instructions were read, the PD and Dong Wan placed the paper bracelets on each partner before instructing them to leave. Sujeong’s right wrist was bound to Kook’s left wrist, and he unconsciously put his arm around hers. She giggled when the others cat called and whistled while laughing.

“Beware of another love line!” Jae Suk shouted before Ji Hyo dragged him away.

Everyone split to their next destinations, leaving each other in the dark once again, but at least not alone this time. Sujeong felt less nervous with Kook as they walked normally down the hall.

“What were you worried about earlier?” Kook asked. “It’s just a game. You know the PD was just trying to scare us by pretending he didn’t know anything.”

“I guess I was wrapped up in the moment,” she sighed. “Whatever it was, sure was scary and impressive.”

“You’ll be fine with me,” Kook accidently blurted.

It was too dark for Sujeong to notice his blush, but she grinned in response.

“Kamsahamnida,” she whispered.

They entered the room and found themselves standing at the pool. Sujeong shuddered, remembering the drowning students from the article. The PD’s assistant handed Kook the next mission card.

“Cross the beam over the pool from one end to the other while bound by the paper chain bracelet. You will fail if you break the chain and fall in. Succeed to receive 10 points.”

“Sounds easy enough,” Sujeong muttered and looked up at Kook.

“Just do as I do,” he smiled and walked her over to the beam.

Of course it’s closer towards the deep end of the pool, Sujeong thought. Why does it look so dark down there? Kook took a step onto the beam first before helping her onto it. Her legs locked and she gulped, not able to keep her eyes off the mysterious dark water. She kept a death grip on Kook.

“I-I can’t move,” she stammered.

“Here. Climb on my back and I’ll carry you to the end. Just don’t break the chain,” Kook crouched down and Sujeong carefully climbed onto his back.

He hoisted her a little higher with one arm while the other bent back to keep the chains close together. With one step at a time he slowly crossed the beam. Her heartbeat pounded against Kook’s back, and her hot breath on the back of his neck. He wobbled for a split second, but maintained his balance and finally reached the end.

“Success,” the assistant announced. “Kook and Sujeong receive 10 points.”

“Yes!” Sujeong climbed off his back as he crouched down.

Something grabbed her from behind and pulled her into the water. No one saw what it was, but they turned just as they saw her fall in. She had no time to cry out for help as she was pulled in deeper. Black ooze-like tentacles wrapped around her as she struggled to reach the surface.

“Sujeong!” Kook shouted as he saw the bubbles fade.

He kicked off his shoes and dove in. The tentacles receded as he found her half-unconscious body. Taking her in one arm he propelled to the surface. The assistant pulled her up as Kook leapt out to check on her. She coughed up water and turned to slap her hand on the tile. The assistant gave Kook towels to wrap around her as she sat up to lean into him, shivering in both cold and fear.

Something is here… she thought. And it’s trying to get me…


Ji Hyo and Jae Suk/ Haha and Gary:

The two groups entered the gym, noticing a trampoline on one side and a balancing beam on the other. The PD gave Ji Hyo the mission card first, and then one to Haha.

“Knowledge test: Answer 5 questions consecutively without fail while balancing on the balance beam with your partner without breaking the paper chain bracelet. Succeed to receive 10 points.”

Ji Hyo and Jae Suk headed towards the beam as Haha read his card.

“With your partner, achieve 10 consecutive jumps on the trampoline without breaking the paper chain bracelet. Succeed to receive 10 points.”

Haha and Gary grinned at each other before they ran towards the trampoline. Ji Hyo climbed onto the beam first before helping Jae Suk up. They reached the middle and already had trouble balancing, but they managed as the PD stood before them with questions in his hands. Before he could even read the first question, Ji Hyo wobbled and fell off, breaking the paper chain bracelet in the process and leaving Jae Suk wobbling to keep his balance.

“Ji Hyo and Jae Suk failed. No points awarded,” the PD announced before moving towards Haha and Gary.

They climbed onto the trampoline and lightly bounced their way towards the center. The PD blew his whistle and Gary and Haha tightly held hands before starting to jump.

“Hana, dul, set, net, da-sul, yuh-seot, il-gop, yuh-deol, ah-hop, yeol!” the PD concluded. “Success! Haha and Gary receive 10 points!”

“Yeah!” Haha cheered and lifted his hands above his head, breaking the chain bracelet.

Gary bounced off the trampoline as Haha jumped higher and faster.


The Easy Brothers:

Kwang Soo and Suk Jin reached the basketball court, where another assistant handed them their mission card.

“Shoot 4 basketballs and score without breaking the paper chain bracelet. Succeed to receive 10 points.”

The assistant instructed them to stand on the three pointer line and handed them a basketball.

“Start!” the assistant blew the whistle.

As soon as Kwang Soo raised his arm to shoot, the bracelet broke. He looked down at Suk Jin in disbelief, who raised his arm as high as he could, but he was just too short for the tall Kwang Soo.

“Wae…” Kwang Soo moaned.

Suk Jin just shook his head and laughed.

“Pil! Chok! Cross!” They posed before laughing it off.


Everyone returned to HQ, curiously wondering why Kook and Sujeong were wet and wrapped in towels.

“Did you two go out on a date and swim in the swimming pool together?” Gary asked with a grin.

“She fell in,” Kook answered.

“Something dragged me in and I nearly drowned,” Sujeong managed through her shivers. “It’s so cold, and I don’t have a change of clothes.”

Kook insisted his VJ take off his jacket and gives it to Sujeong. He wrapped it around her shoulders and rubbed her shoulders to keep her warm.

“Are you okay?” Kwang Soo asked.

She shook her head. “Not really. Let’s just finish the rest of the missions and get out of here.”

She looked over at the PD who shrugged in response. He gave Jae Suk the next mission card.

“Head to the study hall for your next mission.”


Sujeong felt warmer in the VJ’s jacket, as well as having Kook keep her warm with his body heat. He kept close to her as they and the rest of the members walked down the hallway to their next destination. She was mostly dry now, and her lips were no longer blue. She felt really bad, since it didn’t seem like anyone was having fun anymore. Everyone quietly shuffled along, keeping to themselves. She decided to push her fears aside and burst out of Kook’s arms.

“What do you think the next mission is?” she asked everyone, and they didn’t respond. “Don’t worry about me. I’m fine now. Let’s enjoy the rest of the time here and win points!”

Everyone gradually warmed up to her, and was loud and laughing by the time they reached study hall. As they opened the doors, they saw the huge empty room with only four VJs; two of them holding a white ball. The PD approached them with another mission card.

“Protect Sujeong from the VJs in dodge ball. If she’s out no one will receive points. Survive for 20 minutes to receive 20 points each.”

Game on…