EIGHT

EXOPLANET
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was a sight grand to behold. Massive crystal chandeliers hung from the high embossed ceilings, giving the room a regal and refined glow. The Roman style columns lining the edges of the room radiated a soft golden glow which contrasted with the dark, intricately designed tiled floor.

A civilised burble of talk and chinks of champagne flutes rose from the crowd, accentuating the rich aural vibe of the orchestra. Swathes of fabrics and splashes of colour flashed among the dark suited men, the women's hair elegantly swaying with the music.

With the Shin family acting as hosts, this was surely the definition of a ball.

 

"Welcome Agasshi." The doorkeeper smiled and bowed low before Suji as he waved the two servers to bow as well, "It's such a pleasure to have you join us." He ushered her in, followed by her father with her mother on his elbow.

Eyes turned to them as they entered, announced aloud by the doorkeeper.

"Suji ya." Minhyun appeared beside her, flush faced from having run over as soon as her name was announced. He immediately offered her his elbow, standing tall and proud beside her, "I'm so glad you could come."

 

She looked him up and down appreciatively. He looked sharp and smart in his tuxedo, every detail pristine from his slicked back hair to his shining dress shoes. She could feel his eyes on her and smirked, deliberately swirling her salmon pink dress around herself, aware of her effect on him as she lightly placed her hand on his elbow.

"You look gorgeous." Minhyun whispered in her ear as he drew her into the crowd, casually nodding at the compliments and exclamations flooding their way, "Remind me to have our picture taken later on. I want to remember this moment forever."

"You look pretty dashing yourself." She grinned up at him, "Not bad, Chief Operating Officer Shin. Congratulations."

 

His eyes brightened and he laughed shyly, looking away with a last bashful glance at her. Suji was rather surprised at his behaviour, having rarely seen his shyer, more introverted self directed at her. They have always been open with everything, allowing the other to know their every innermost secret.

It was only when Suho turned up that Suji had drawn away from him, becoming more quiet and withdrawn. She wondered if he had noticed.

"Thank you." He mumbled, "Kim Suji Agasshi."

 

"Minhyun ah! You ought to be ashamed, keeping Suji all to yourself!"

Minhyun glanced up and beamed brightly, calling out with excitement, "Hyung!"

Suji started and turned, smiling and waving at her boyfriend's older brother, the new CEO to Shin Corporation. Shin Minho waved the two over, his entourage of middle aged men trailing after him with the exception of one, a younger looking man. The two of them towered over the rest of the men, truly roses among weeds.

Suji bowed to Minho and shook his hand carefully, "It's nice to see you again CEO Shin."

"CEO Shin?" Minho laughed shortly, "Don't call me that! Just address me as you usually do. Why are you being so formal? I've had enough of it from these guys." He added quietly, with a derisive look at the older men around him.

"Sorry Minho Oppa. I'm glad nothing's changed between us." Suji grinned.

"Of course not! Please keep taking good care of Minhyun here. I know he's such a bother."

"What? Hyung! Don't say things like that!"

 

The night flew by as though on wings, an endless litany of introductions, toasts, compliments and dances. Suji was truly exhausted by the end of the night. She decided to retire to the balcony while Minhyun was being accosted by his Great Aunt Shin, hiding from view behind a pillar.

The night's air was cool and slightly windy, shifting her hair with each passing breeze. She leaned against the rock balustrade, looking out at the Seoul night lights.

Tonight was truly a night of wonders; the beginning of Minhyun's future as brother to the CEO of one of the largest conglomerates in the world. And the end of Suji's world as she had known it.

 

The hand grabbed her wrist roughly and dragged her away so suddenly that she wasn't able to react. The other closed over , fingers pressing against her lips so tightly she could feel its pressure against her teeth. She struggled, her eyes screwed shut in pain, writhing furiously.

She will not be taken so easily. How she had been gotten hold of so easily, with all the security present at the event, was astounding.

Suji could feel a rush of air in her ears as she was hitched, kicking and screaming into the hand, over a shoulder. Her feet were soon set roughly on the ground, the hand removed from her face, and she in a much needed breath of air. They were on the rooftop, the sounds of the ball still prevalent in the otherwise silent night.

The wind blew fiercer up there and Suji glanced around, searching for a way out. There were none.

How they had gotten there, she had no idea. Her attacker stood before her and she was sure that her surprise was apparent on her face. He was one of the last people she had expected her kidnapper to be. Shin Minho's right hand man.

The charismatic, young man he had introduced as his assistant, Wu Kris.

 

His handsome face shone in the dramatic lighting of the Seoul night nights behind him as he menacingly approached Suji, one step at a time. His slightly spiked blonde hair, previously noted by her to be particularly edgy amongst the primly dressed men at the ball, now appeared wilder, more unpredictable. More dangerous.

His lips pushed back to an almost snarl as he continued towards her, body crouched forwards like an animal about to spring. His hands were curled into claws and his eyes glinted a dark maroon.

Suji hadn't realised that she had been instinctively backing away from the creature before her until she started, the small of her back coming into contact with the balustrade, a straight ten metre drop to the garden below her. She could see a few peop

Please log in to read the full chapter