New Student

Daycare
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The principal of the daycare had called Luna and Victoria into her office for a meeting. The two teachers were honestly scared and nervous because they weren’t sure if the principal was going to kill them for losing the maknae last month. Yet, the principal was sitting calmly behind her desk with a cup of coffee in her hands.

“Have a seat.” After the two teachers had sat, the principal spoke again, “Starting from next Monday, you will have a new student.”

Luna almost spat out the water she was drinking. “Another student? Another troublemaker?” She thought.

Victoria on the other hand was trying her best to not squeal in delight. “Another bundle of joy!” She mentally cheered.

“Well she won’t be here for long. She’s waiting for the daycare near her house to be opened. She should be here for a few months.”

Luna let out a sigh of relief. The principal then handed them a folder.

“In that folder is her profile and dietary information. She seems like a combination of all the girls in your class.”

Luna didn’t like the sound of that. Honestly, she was dreading to open the folder; afraid to see the face of her future devil student. Seeing as her colleague was taking forever to open the folder, Victoria took the folder and flipped it open. She gasped. Luna instinctively shut her eyes.

“OH MY GOD!! SHE IS SO PRETTY!!!” Victoria squealed. Luna was still hesitant to open her eyes to take a look at the picture.

“Well, she’ll be your new student anyway. So be prepared for next Monday.”

 

*

 

The two teachers made their way back to the classroom. The girls were still in school so the teachers had some free time. Usually they would spend this time cleaning up the classroom and preparing food for lunch and the menu for teatime. However, Victoria decided that it would be the perfect time to get to know more about their new student.

 

Bae Juhyun Irene (4) a quiet girl when with strangers or people she is not close with. However, she can be quite a mischievous and playful kid when with friends because she likes playing pranks on them. She doesn’t have a big appetite like a shikshin but she eats well (NOTE: she cannot eat chicken because she will turn pale and will start vomiting).

She is obsessed with the colour purple but would always colour her hair pink in all her drawings. She also has a hanky that she carries around everywhere because she likes the smell of it (don’t worry, it’s clean and she just likes the smell of fabric softeners).

Although her expression might be cold and she may seem distant, she’s silently observing the surrounding. She’s very imaginative, creative and hardly causes any trouble to teachers or caretakers.

Irene has an imaginary friend whose name is Son Seungwan. Although it sounds like a boy’s name, Irene is sure that her friend is a girl. However, she only talks to Seungwan when she is alone or with her family as she is afraid to be teased by people around her. She will colour Seungwan’s hair in blue in her drawings.

 

Luna looked at Victoria and the two of them shared a knowing look but the latter broke the silence, “Mrs Kim was right, Irene is pretty much a combination of all the girls.”

Luna nodded her head. With the addition of Irene, they will have 10 girls in a class. She had very little confidence about having only herself and Victoria handling the class.

“Do you think we should get another teacher?”

Victoria stopped wiping the kitchen counter. “What for?”

“There’ll be 10 girls with Irene around. I don’t think we can handle that many kids, Vic.”

“Well we can call Amber? She’s always helping us out anyway.” Victoria took out her phone; dialled Amber’s number and put it on speaker.

“YO YO VIVIVIC VICKY!!”

“LLAMAAAAAA” Luna rolled her eyes at the two’s weird way of greeting each other.

“Wassup? Is Luna PMS-ing again?”

“I’M RIGHT HERE AMBER!” Luna said out loud just to be sure that Amber heard her.

“Oh snap. Hey Lulu.”

In order to stop a fight from starting, Victoria quickly explained the situation. “Anyway, we called because we were wondering if you wanna be a permanent teacher in the daycare.”

“Permanent teacher? You mean like you two?”

“Yeah. There’ll be a new girl, Irene, who will be staying here for a while because the daycare near her house has yet to open.”

“Cool. How long will I be needed?”

“Mrs Kim said Irene would be here for a few months. So I guess same for you?”

“Aww man. I can’t. I have school and I have to help out at my friend’s dance studio after school. Sorry guys.”

The two teachers sighed. They knew it would be pointless to try to convince Amber.

Hearing her friends sigh, Amber felt bad. “Why don’t you guys try asking Wendy? I heard she’s not doing anything after she graduated from university. She should be free enough to help you guys out.”

“But the girls are not very familiar with her.”

“You guys don't have much of a choice, do you? At least the girls have met her once and she seems fine with the girls.” Amber reasoned out.

“We’ll call her then. Thanks llama! Bye!!” Victoria ended the call before Amber could even respond to her friends.

The two teachers looked at each other. Both were quite hesitant to ask Wendy for help. Wendy has only been with the class once and even though she got along well with the girls, the two teachers were afraid that in the long run, Wendy might not be comfortable with the girls.

However, what Amber said was true. They didn’t have much of a choice since other classes had taken up the other part-time teachers. They both sighed at the same time before Victoria picked up her phone and looked for Wendy’s number. She pressed the call button and left it on speaker.

“Hello?” Victoria greeted Wendy, unsure if the girl could hear her since it was pretty loud in the background. There was the sound of drums and a guitar jamming out to a song.

“Hi Vic unni! Give me a second.” They heard a door being slammed closed.

“Hey unni. Sorry about that. Was in band practice. Can I help you with something?” As usual, Wendy’s voice was bright and cheery.

“Hey Wendy. Luna here. Sorry if we interrupted your practice. We called because we were wondering if you would like to join us as a permanent staff. We have a new student coming in on Monday and with her, there’ll be 10 students and there are only two of us. We honestly don’t think we can handle them all. I mean, we lost a kid just last month and you were there when we lost two at the sea aquarium.” Luna gave a long explanation.

Wendy let out a laugh hearing the unfortunate incident but she cleared and asked, “How long will I be needed?”

“The new student will only be here for a few months since this is like a temporary thing for her.” Again, Luna did the explaining since Victoria was now busy munching on an apple.

“Ah is that so? Since I’m doing nothing now, I might as well accept the job offer.” Wendy accidentally voiced out her thoughts.

“Great!! Do you want to come by tomorrow so the girls can get used to you?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

Luna was about to give Wendy the details but Victoria beat her to it. “Awesome! Come by around 9 am tomorrow so we can settle the applications and documents for the job. Welcome aboard Wendy!”

 

*

 

It’s Monday and that means Irene would be joining the daycare today. Victoria and Wendy were beyond excited for the arrival of the new girl whereas Luna was still unsure about the addition of Irene. They had agreed to formally introduce Irene to the class so that they would get along better and to avoid Irene feeling like an outcast and not belonging in the daycare during her short stay.

The girls have accepted Wendy as their teacher and they get along fairly well. Wendy was like a combination of the two teachers. Although she was strict with the girls in terms of discipline like Luna, she’s also caring like Victoria and would at times bake for the girls healthy treats and snacks. Of course, the girls loved the treats and snacks more than Wendy but she do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter