The Real Jinki

Runaway

“Well, for one thing, I’m not Onew.”

His nonchalant answer shocked Luna so much that she jerked backward, hitting her head hard on the window. But she didn’t felt the pain. Nope, not a bit.

Her mind had turned to panic mode as she thought about all things at once, like: “Who the hell is he and why does he looked exactly like Onew oppa?”, and “Did SM finally found a way to clone their idols?”, and “If I jumped down from this moving car, how much injuries will I get?” and lastly, rather distractingly she thought, “Does he likes chicken too?

Onew glanced at her in concern as he heard her bumped her head quite loudly. Her scared expression when he tried to reach for her wasn’t exactly setting his mind at ease either. He signaled right and pulled the car to a stop by the roadside.

“Hey, are you okay? Are you hurt?” He asked softly, reaching for her again but immediately stops when Luna shrank back in fear.

“Wh… Who are you?” She whimpered, keeping her body practically plastered to the door and far, far away from the entity in front of her.

Onew’s eyes nearly doubled in size as he looked at her in surprise. Had she hit her head so hard that she lost her memory?

“I’m Onew… Onew oppa.” He answered hesitantly, leaning closer to her.

“No, you’re not! You’re not my Onew oppa, you said so yourself. And get back, don’t come near me!” She screamed bloody murder, trying to get away from him. Well, as far away as her still buckled seatbelt would let her.

Ears ringing from her shrill scream, Onew stared at Luna blankly, trying to figure out what she’s saying. Though he felt pleased to hear Luna referring him as her Onew oppa, he was still worried over her mental wellbeing. Then it suddenly hit him. Onew burst out laughing so hard that he doubled over, his body shaking with laughter.

Luna looked at the entity who was roaring with laughter, horrified. Dammit, it’s bad enough that I was kidnapped by Onew’s freaky doppelganger, but he had to be insane, crazy-as-a-bat too? Just my luck. Way to go, Luna. Way to go.

After his laughter died down, Onew had to clutch his stomach to still the cramp that had formed there. He was still snickering, wiping his tears away when he saw Luna’s terrified face.

That sobered him up instantly, and he carefully explained.

“Luna, when I said I wasn’t Onew, I was referring to my personality, not my person.”

“Wha… What do you mean?” She stammered, still not trusting this ‘Onew’.

“What I meant to say was, I’m not Onew…” He stopped when Luna gasped, tugging harder at her seatbelt to free herself. “Wait, wait dammit!” He cursed as he tried to still her, not wanting her to hurt herself.

“I meant to say that I am Jinki, not Onew at the moment!” He rushed out, holding on to her hands and pulled her closer.

“Jinki?” She asked, confused.

“Yes, Jinki. Instead of Onew, I want to be just Jinki for this trip. I want to drop all pretenses, and just be the real me for awhile.” He said, one of his hands moving to her side to release her from the seatbelt.

“That… That means…” Luna voice trailed off as she worked thing out in her head.

“Yeah, that means I’m not some sort of clone freak you’re thinking.” He smirked as he said this, obviously reading her mind and humored by her dramatic reaction.

Luna went still for ten seconds, then:

“You jerk!” She screamed out in rage, shoving Onew hard to his seat.

“You filthy bastard! How dare you scare me like that?! How dare you laugh at me like that?! Do you know how frightened I was?” She screeched like a banshee, punching and pummeling Onew’s chest with her small fists while kneeling on her seat, leaning over the gear shifts.

Onew was trying to catch her hands, to stop her from hurting herself (and bruising his body). “Yah, calm down! I didn’t know you’re going to react like that. It never crossed my mind that you’ll think that way. You have a very vivid imagination, Luna.” He chuckled, but broke off immediately when Luna went quiet; her hands limp at his chest.

“Luna?” He whispered, his hand went to her cheek and tilted her head up gently. What he saw made him in his breath in astonishment. Luna’s eyes were b with unshed tears, her lips trembling slightly. Just when Onew was about to pull her for a reassuring hug…