Before the Games Part II

The Hunger Games: EXO

“Oh [insert your choice of curse word here]!” Luhan exclaimed, his cheeks swelling and reddening.

“What?” Sehun took a glance at the frantic elder. Luhan was currently pacing around in the elevator until it stopped.

It stopped.

“What is going on we aren’t even at a floor!” Luhan yelled.

“Relax the elevator probably broke down, someone will get it working again soon.”

Luhan sat on the floor. His cheeks were swelling and they were tomato red, making it look like he was constantly blushing. Which he was definitely NOT.

“Are you okay? Your face is a bit red, and your cheeks are swelling.”

“Was there any shellfish in that cake?” Luhan asks as he closes his eyes and leans back against the elevator.

“I don’t know there could’ve been this is the Capitol.” Sehun shrugged, slightly smirking to himself how funny Luhan looks, despite the cake that covered him.

Luhan glared at Sehun as Sehun began to laugh. “This is not funny! I’m very allergic to shellfish!”

“Yeah but your cheeks are all swelled up and red like you’re embarrassed to be around me.” Sehun laughed, “Is it because I’m so cool? Too cool for you?”

“Heck no I’m way cooler than you are, I do not know where you could get such an assumption.”

Finally, the elevator started back up and they reached the floor.

“Oh there you two are!” L.Joe and District 1’s mentor, Chunji stopped the two and pulled them into the corner.

“Sehun what happened? Was it Kai again?” Chunji laughed, voice piercing through the halls.

“Shut up, and yes, it was Kai.” Sehun mumbled picking the cake out of his hair.

“And you,” L.Joe turned to Luhan, “let me guess, allergic reaction?”

“Stupid cake man over there smeared it on me, and it had some shellfish in it.” Luhan mumbled angrily, shooting a glare at Sehun, cheeks still swelled and red.

“Anyways, we have a proposition for the two of you. We’ve yet to discuss this with Jongin and Kyungsoo, but we also haven’t gotten to Baekhyun and Chanyeol, well their mentors, Ricky and Changjo.” L.Joe began, “a sponsor has offered to give us a large amount of money for you all in the games if you become a couple.”

“E-excuse me?” Luhan shrieked.

“WHAT!” Sehun shouted.

“I refuse!” Luhan exclaimed, taking L.Joe by the shoulders and shaking him. “You don’t understand he is impossible!”

“Me impossible you are the impossible one!” Sehun pointed a frosting covered finger at Luhan.

“This is vital to your life in the games.” Chunji explained, “so you have to act like a couple whether you like it or not!”

“But the Career pack isn’t even forever!” Sehun pointed out.

“Shush, you will do what we say, or you can hope to die.” L.Joe frowned as he shoved Luhan who was shaking his shoulders over to Sehun. “See?” He said, pointing at the cake covered Sehun and swelled cheeked Luhan as they stood close to each other, “you guys already look like a couple.”

“A really weird couple, at least you guys have something in common.” Chunji laughed.

“I want to kill myself.” Sehun sighed.

“Look, you have to agree alright? Just promise me.” L.Joe stared into Luhan’s eyes with a pleading look.”Hyung!”

Luhan frowned; he was three months older than his mentor (real life 3 years). “Alright fine.”

“Sehun you’d better promise me too.” Chunji held up his pinky.

“Fine, fine whatever.” Sehun growled holding up his pinky to link with Chunji’s but Chunji pulled away.

“Don’t want any frosting on my fingers.”

“Classic!” L.Joe laughed as he high-fived Chunji. “I’ll take Luhan back to the room to help die down the swelling.”

“Let’s get you cleaned up, I’ll go over the other details you need to do while we do that.” Chunji pulled Sehun by the wrist.

“Don’t worry, you will eventually love him.” L.Joe told Luhan as they entered the room.

“I don’t know about that.” Luhan frowned, “I hate him.”

“Want to bet on it?” L.Joe asked as he gave Luhan a few pills to stop the swelling.

“Sure,” Luhan smiled, “loser has to be locked in a closet with someone.”

“You can be locked in with Sehun.” L.Joe pointed out.

“If I lost the bet, I would be in love with him won’t I?” Luhan laughed, “You can be in the closet with Chunji.”

“Excuse you, Chunji and I are just friends.”

“All I hear is denial, denial.”

“You should be one to be talking!”

“What are you two talking about?” Kyungsoo walked in to see L.Joe and Luhan bickering.

“Oh nothing, just a simple bet that I’m going to win.” L.Joe smiled, “have fun sharing a closet with Sehun for two hours.”

“What? I thought Luhan hates Sehun’s guts.” Kyungsoo asked as he sat on the couch with them.

“He does!” Luhan exclaimed, yelling in third person, “Luhan hates Sehun so much he should not be paired with him!”

“Paired? What are you talking about? The Career pack?” Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, quite uninformed.

“Oh no, that reminds me, you’re going to be dating Jongin from now on, m’kay?”

“WHAT!” Kyungsoo shrieked it was so loud Luhan thought everyone in a ten mile radius could hear him. “I will not date someone I just met for the first time in my life!”

“You have too, it’s for a sponsor!” L.Joe exclaimed.

“I don’t care if it’s for my dead grandmother! I refuse!” Kyungsoo stormed away.

“I’ll talk to him.” L.Joe said immediately standing up, but Luhan stopped him.

“No let me,”

“Go away!” Kyungsoo cries as he sits in his room.

“Kyungsoo,” Kyungsoo whips around to see that it’s Luhan who walks over and sits on the bed with him. “Why are you so mad?”

“It’s just, I can’t” Kyungsoo starts, “I can’t make someone fall in love with me. I’m ugly and I shouldn’t be with anyone if they don’t genuinely love me.”

“You are not ugly Kyungsoo.” Luhan rubs soothing circles on Kyungsoo’s back, “if anything, I wish I was you, you were always so smart.”

“Were? Am I not smart now?” Kyungsoo sits up to stare Luhan directly in the eyes.

“See? You even correct my grammar even though it really doesn’t matter.”

“It freaking does!”

“I don’t care,” Luhan laughs, “but I hope you can just agree with L.Joe okay? I already had to and I hate Sehun’s guts, whereas you and Jongin are on friendship terms.”

“Sorry, I was just being rash, I’ll agree, if it helps during the games you must do anything to save your own life.” Kyungsoo nodded.

“Life !” Sehun flopped onto the couch after his twenty minute shower. (He is quite the water waster)

“Aww calm down Sehun!” Chunji slaps Sehun on the thigh.

“Can you not.” Sehun groans, his silver hair plastered to his face.

“Actually I can’t.” Chunji answers. “I rather not”

“What kind of freaking answer is that?” Sehun hits Chunji with a pillow.

“Oh shush cake boy, go run to your shellfish allergic deer boy.”

“Never, I hate him!” Sehun exclaims.

“Sure, sure,” Chunji rolls his eyes, “and I hate talking.”

“Ugh, stupid sponsor,” Sehun smacked his head repeatedly with a pillow, “why couldn’t it have been someone else?”

“What are you talking about?” Jongin asks as he sees the maknae smacking himself.

“Bastard sponsor is making Luhan and I become a couple.” Sehun groans between smacks.

Jongin bursts out laughing. He laughs for a good five minutes before Chunji comes over and smacks him on the back, hissing to shut up before someone whips you. “Sorry! Sorry, it’s just so funny because Sehun and Luhan absolutely hate each other.”

“Don’t laugh now; you have to be with Kyungsoo.” Sehun mumbles.

“That tiny guy, sure why not?” Jongin shrugged.

“You don’t even know why! And you’re already agreeing?” Sehun exclaimed.

“Don’t be stupid, Ricky that District 2 mentor already cornered me.”

“Ricky! What does he think he’s doing? Jacking my tributes…” Chunji walked out of the room, presumably to confront Ricky and give the shorter man a piece of his mind.

“So is there a thing going on between you and Kyungsoo?” Sehun asked, “I thought we were best friends, Kai.”

“We are there’s nothing going on between us!” Jongin insisted, “Yet.”

“Whoa, whoa there, let’s back it up.” Sehun sat up and looked at Kai, very startled. “You’ve only just met the guy; wait how old is he again? 14? Isn’t that ia?”

“For your information, he is older than both of us!” Jongin said defensively, protecting his hyung, “Luhan looks like he’s 12!”

“I don’t even argue with you on that.” Sehun agreed.

Later that night they watched the results of the performances. Everyone did well, scoring very good points.

District 1: Sehun: 10 Jongin: 9

“Beat you loser.” Sehun smiled, pumping a fist.

“Oh shut up.”

District 2: Baekhyun: 9 Chanyeol: 9

“Nice we tied!” Chanyeol offered up a high five.

“It was expected, we both trained hard.” Baekhyun shrugged as he hesitantly gave Chanyeol a high five.

District 3: Jongdae: 8 Yixing: 7

“Hmm fair.” Jongdae shrugged, a bit envious of the first two districts.

“We did our best, that’s all that matters.” Yixing patted Jongdae on the back.

District 4: Kyungsoo: 12 Luhan: 11

“Sick! Kyungsoo what the heck did you do?” Luhan exclaimed, embracing Kyungsoo and L.Joe.

“I just did some archery and this brain thing!” Kyungsoo couldn’t believe it, a perfect score. He would get perfect scores at school, but this was the games. The gamemakers must’ve been super impressed.

“Hey guess who beat you?” Jongin poked Sehun.

“Shut up! Kyungsoo beat you too!” Sehun frowned. “He must be good.”

“Yeah whatever Kyungsoo put out for the Capitol must’ve been impressive.” Chunji agreed, “In my day I scored a solid 9.”

“That boy is something else.” Jongin smiled.

District 5: Suho: 7

“Solid.” Suho stared at the screen. He felt like such a downer because District 4 almost got two perfect scores.

District 8: Xiumin: 8

“At least I got the same score as Jongdae.” Xiumin frowned; the Career pack had done so well!

“Hmm got the same has hyung.” Jongdae didn’t know what to think of it.

District 12: Tao: 9 Kris: 10

“They know it!” Tao cheered, “Careers are going down!”

“They better watch their backs.” Kris growled menacingly, “that Kyungsoo shrimp getting a perfect score? Not on my watch.”

“That Luhan too, they look so feminine but can pull such a score?” Tao wondered.

Soon it was the day before the dreaded games. Every tribute was getting prepped before the interview with Caesar Flickerman.

“Why are these pants so tight?” Luhan complained as he was pulling on the clothes Juniper and Rosalie provided.

“Because they’re skinny pants!” Juniper insists as she hands him a top. “We’re aiming for casually cool.”

“So skinny jeans and a dressy shirt?” Kyungsoo asks as he pulls on the shirt.

“Right-o let me go fix your eyeliner sweeties!” Rosalie grabs a stick of liquid eyeliner.

Luhan backs away, “No thanks!”

“Rosalie leave them alone, they look fabulous already!” Juniper smiles as she gazes at both the boys.

Luhan brushes some hair out of his eyes; they left it down today, hair spraying Kyungsoo’s hair instead.

“Remember, smile and act as cute as possible!” Juniper reminds them.

“You two over here!” L.Joe calls. “Okay tonight we announce the relationships, a head start on the games, Chunji already told the others. Wait for your cue.”

They turned their attention to Caesar Flickerman who was having an interview with Sehun.

“So Sehun my boy how’s life here in the Capitol?” Caesar asks, flashing his white teeth.

“It’s interesting.” Sehun replies. “I never knew what lay beyond District 1”

“What are your goals?”

“I want to die the right way,” Sehun answers softly, “and I want him to live.”

The crowd gasps at this, he wants to die?

Caesar looks at Sehun with a puzzled look as Sehun nods curtly, displaying that he is not joking.

“Who do you want to win?”

Sehun starts, but is tongue tied and can barely choke out, “L-Luhan.”

The citizens of the Capitol all awe and gush in unison.

“Luhan from District 4, let’s see how he looks now!” Caesar exclaims.

The cameras revert to Luhan. Luhan is looking at the television but all he sees is a baffled mirror of him. He is on the monitor looking star struck. He was expecting this, but Sehun just blurted that out! How was he supposed to know how to react? Things were crashing in like the high tide, the high tide of his life. He couldn’t even speak, a hot blush was creeping up on his cheeks and he was trying to force it back.

“I wish I could bring him out here to get the real details but we are out of time!” Caesar chuckled, knowing he would see Luhan soon anyways. “Oh Sehun it was great to meet you.”

“It was great to meet you too Caesar.” Sehun walked off the stage.

“Nice job you got them cheering” Chunji slapped Sehun on the back. “We definitely got them excited.”

Luhan just stared at the boy, his heart was racing and he couldn’t quite breathe. He would have to talk about his relationship with Sehun in a matter of minutes. And by relationship, they definitely mean not trying to kill each other.

“What’s wrong Luhan?” Kyungsoo asks as he watches Jongin shake hands with Caesar as they sit and discuss.

“I can’t do this.” Luhan mumbled, his usual snappy exterior broken down, he was feeling scared. Scared of what to do. He would have to give the juicy details on how he and Sehun got together.

“Just breathe, you’ll be fine.” Kyungsoo smiles and at that moment, Jongin announces that he has fallen head over heels with Kyungsoo and the cameras flash on him and Luhan. Kyungsoo’s jaw drops and he tries to give a weak smile to the audience.

Luhan can barely walk up the stairs to where Caesar is patiently waiting for him. He saw how flustered Baekhyun was when Caesar questioned him and Chanyeol.

“Luhan nice to meet you boy,” Caesar extends a hand and shakes Luhan’s.

“Nice to meet you too Caesar.” Luhan smiles, maybe he forgot about Sehun and his supposed relationship.

“So you and Sehun hmm?” Caesar eyes Luhan with a hint of mischief in his eyes. “How did this happen?”

Luhan takes a small gulp of air and begins to spew out lies, “we were in the training room when I almost killed him and we fought, our mentors made us make up after that, and I…” Luhan looks up at the camera and sees Sehun’s face on the monitor as well, “I fell in love.”

Capitol citizens cry out and gush.

Sehun’s face on the camera makes Luhan want to go run and hug him, but the problem is, they hate each other.

 “Has anything juicy happened yet?” Caesar presses.

“Not really, just some hugs and laughs together, the usual.”

“The usual is kissing my boy! Have you two kissed?”

“N-no” Luhan’s face is tomato red at the question.

“When it does happen I hope it’s during the games!” Caesar finished up as Luhan shook his hand again and walked off the stage.

That night Luhan couldn’t sleep at all. The next day, all the tributes that he had grown to like, are going to all go down in bloodshed. They were all going to die. Luhan stood up from his bed and walked up to the rooftop. He sat there staring out into the night, looking up at the stars. It was a cold night and he didn’t bring a blanket but he didn’t care much. Catching a cold was the least of his problems.

“Taeyeon, please give me strength tomorrow.” Luhan pulled out a locket shaped like a deer and opened it, inside was a picture of him and Taeyeon. It was the last part of his old life in District 4 and he had to keep it in the games at all costs. Luhan remembered all the laughs he shared with his family, when they were all together as one. He remembered making fun of how short Taeyeon was and her snapping back that he was a fetus face.

All the good times.

“Hello.” Luhan looked up and saw Sehun standing there with a blanket.

“What are you doing up so late?” Luhan scooted over to make room for Sehun to sit. Normally he would yell at the annoying younger but tonight was the final night of peace.

“I could ask the same.” Sehun replied, “I can’t sleep.”

“You know I really hate you.” Luhan blurted out, “but sometimes you’re not so bad.”

“Same.” Sehun laughed, “I hope that in the games it doesn’t go down to the both of us, because we’re supposed to be lovers.”

“It won’t.” Luhan reassured him, his locket again before putting it back on.

“What’s that?”

“It was my sister’s, she gave me her locket before she died in the games.”

“I’m very sorry.”

“Don’t be. She died very loyally; she was fighting for a change.”

“What do you mean?” Sehun looked down at the elder who was trapped between him and the wall.

“I mean that she was fighting to change the games, her life goal was to end these inhumane games.” Luhan leaned back and closed his eyes, “but it was too much of a goal for her, she ended up with a bird skewering her neck.”

They didn’t speak much after, until they were lulled to sleep by exhaustion.

Oh Sehun, when I said I wouldn’t want the games to come down to the both of us, I meant it.


Okay I dunno what I just spewed out but MAN WAS THAT A STRUGGLE.

Props to those authors who can write a lot!

Anyways, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE, UPVOTE, TELL YO FRIENDS.

It is always appreciated!

BTW: SHAMELESS ADVERTISING: i WROTE A NEW HUNHAN STORY.

ITS CALLED ASSASSINATION AT ITS FINEST, It is also Kaisoo so go check it out!