Her Nearing Departure

Her Silent Song

“How’s Jongdae-ssi doing?” MiYeon asked Baekhyun while they were on their way to the nursing station. “He’s doing his best on patching things up between HyoRi-ssi and hyung but he’s getting a headache because of it. I am sure because he wants to talk to you again,” Baekhyun teased, making MiYeon blush. “As if, Byun Baek,” MiYeon snapped. “Why? I am sure you want to talk to him too,” Baekhyun smirked.

“I just want all these troubles to go away before we do,” MiYeon covered as she said those words. “What did you mean about before we do?” Baekhyun narrowed his eyes, as if it was possible. “Don’t mind about that. I wanted to be dramatic,” MiYeon lied, her fake smile showing. Baekhyun puffed his cheeks as he glared at MiYeon.

“Don’t you dare lie to me or I’ll force Jongdae to make you tell the truth, Choi MiYeon.”

“What do you mean by that, Sehunnie? I treat Jong-in-ssi and Tao-ssi like this too sometimes,” HyoRi tilted her head. Sehun sighed in defeat. “I want you to treat me like how you treat hyung,” Sehun said as he looked into her eyes again. “Which of them? I treat them all differently like I am rude towards Jongdae-ssi and Byun Baek and then I tease Chanyeol-ssi a lot, I have a lot of respect for Minseok-oppa etcetera,” HyoRi said.

“Aish…” Sehun massaged his temples. He admits it’s cute watching her like this but it annoys him how dense she can be. “So which of them?” HyoRi turned to him with a childish smile on her face as if she isn’t on the hospital bed and broken hearted at that.

Sehun put his face inches in front of HyoRi, making her blush. “S-Sehunnie?” She blinked a few times. He looked down to her lips and appeared like he was going to kiss her but suddenly, he broke into laughter. “You should’ve seen how you looked like, noona!” He laughed, holding his stomach.

“That was just too mean, Sehunnie!” HyoRi puffed her cheeks. “Says the girl who calls herself the devil,” Sehun said as he smirked at her. HyoRi crossed her arms and cocked her head to the opposite direction. “You should have respect for your noona,” she muttered. “Aw, don’t get that mad, noona,” Sehun said as he hugged HyoRi.

“I won’t do that again, noona. I promise,” he whispered into her ear. “Okay then!” HyoRi immediately flailed her arms in the air to escape from Sehun’s embrace and then turned to him. “If you do, you have to treat me to bubble tea, understand, Oh Sehun?” HyoRi said.

“Ne, noona!”

“Are you sure you want to spend time with me, Jongdae?” Luhan raised an eyebrow as he eyed his dongsaeng. Jongdae nodded with a wide grin on his face. “Of course, hyung!” He said. They were riding their bicycles along Han River. Jongdae always noticed whenever Luhan had a problem, he would ride a bike here and maybe spend his whole day here. Well, Jongdae wasn’t the first one to notice since HyoRi pointed that out when they had a picnic here.

The sophomores were all rounded together. It was obvious out of the fourteen, they were the closest to one another. MiYeon got along with Jongdae and KyungSoo pretty well and HyoRi got along with Chanyeol and Baekhyun. The circle was always arranged as MiYeon and HyoRi sitting beside each other, to MiYeon’s left was Jongdae then KyungSoo then Chanyeol then Baekhyun and then back to HyoRi.

KyungSoo and Chanyeol were the ones who brought the food. HyoRI brought some cookies she made, that was according to her family’s recipe since they did own a bakery back in her province. Jongdae did bring some drinks too. Baekhyun and MiYeon kind of felt guilty since they didn’t bring anything but it wasn’t obvious since they ate towards their heart’s content.

“You’re getting fat, MiYeonie~!” HyoRi chimed, taking another bite of her homemade cookies. “Nuh-uh!” MIYeon shook her head in strong disagreement. “You’re the one getting fat,” she added, taking another mouth full of pasta. “You two shouldn’t fight,” KyungSoo puffed his cheeks but it was effective since MiYeon and HyoRi were distracted on how cute KyungSoo can be.

“You know, Luhan-oppa always comes here when he’s troubled,” HyoRi said when she looked around. “And how come do you know that?” Chanyeol raised an eyebrow. HyoRi grinned widely. “When we were younger, I had a frail body didn’t I? Oppa always looked so troubled about it and when he tells me he’ll just go out, I’ll follow him. He always has this troubled expression whenever he goes here. It’s always either he has a test or he’s worried about any one of us,” HyoRi answered.

“You’re such a stalker,” Baekhyun scoffed. “I call it investigating, Byun Baek,” HyoRI said matter-a-factly. “Whatever,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes before smiling a bit at her. Jongdae remembered that moment when he thought Baekhyun liked HyoRi but he was so wrong when Baekhyun told them who he likes. It wasn’t his fault Baekhyun and HyoRI always tease each other and then somehow patch up right after, already hugging each other and seeming like they can’t be separated.

MiYeon was only smiling at what was happening as if she was still amused by these kinds of occasions. Jongdae really likes MiYeon’s smile. Her eyes always twinkle with purity and she smiles like an angel to him. But that doesn’t mean he likes her already. Sure, Jongdae loves MiYeon’s company but that’s about it to him. And MiYeon would probably like another person.

“Why do you like hyung that much?” KyungSoo asked and all the others except for HyoRi groaned. “Don’t let her lecture you. It would be such a bore,” MiYeon complained, earning a glare from her best friend. “I agree with MiYeon-ssi. She’ll tell you every detail about hyung,” Jongdae added. “Alright, alright, I won’t lecture KyungSoo-ssi,” HyoRi pouted and the others cheered. KyungSoo blinked and was obviously confused. “It’s better if you don’t understand why she likes him,” Baekhyun whispered.

“So I heard you want HyoRi-ssi and me to get along again,” Luhan said as the wind flew past by him. He was a fast biker but Jongdae could manage to keep up with him. Jongdae nodded. “Of course, we all do,” he said. “But that’s impossible, especially after what I did. Do you know how the others look at me right now? I’m only a criminal in EXO,” Luhan said with a sad tone in his voice.

Jongdae furrowed his eyebrows. “Hyung, is that how you look at us? Do you think we’ll stop being your friend because of that? Sure, HyoRi-ssi’s heart has been broken but still, you’re still our friend. Even HyoRi-ssi herself hasn’t bad mouthed you,” Jongdae said with full concern.

Luhan smiled at him sadly and said,” It’s safer if you keep her away from me. All I want is her safety after all. I am sure she’ll never understand, knowing how she is but she’ll move on. I am sure of it. She’s strong and once she found someone else, I’ll cheer her on from the shadows.”

“Jongdae, can you keep a secret?” Luhan then ask as he stopped his pedalling. “What is it, hyung?” Jongdae stopped beside him. “I love HyoRi-ssi.”

“Why are you carrying me, Sehunnie?” HyoRi pouted, having herself on the maknae’s back. “I am sure your feet are still weak,” MiYeon pointed out. “HyoRi-ssi looks more of a maknae than Sehun,” Baekhyun smirked. “The is only one year. One freaking year, Byun Baek,” HyoRi said as she glared at him. MiYeon chuckled at how she reacted.

HyoRi didn’t seem at all flustered. She looks purely annoyed. She doesn’t like depending on others that much after all. And Sehun usually carries her around, whether it be on his back or bridal style, ever since the two became closer. Sehun was actually called HyoRi’s knight by Joonmyun once.

“Do you not like me doing this, noona?” Sehun turned his head to her with a pout. “Stop doing aegyo, Sehunnie. You know it’s my weakness!” HyoRi said, resting her head on his shoulder. “Uwa, your back is so smooth,” she purred. Sehun was bright red as he heard that, making Baekhyun and MiYeon chuckle and stop themselves from teasing him.

“Hey, Sehunnie, do you have somebody you like?” HyoRi asked. Sehun shook his head. “None, noona,” he said. “Good. Stay being my knight,” HyoRi said happily. MiYeon’s hand went in contact with her forehead in realizing how dense HyoRi is. Her words are powerful against Sehun after all. MiYeon could really say HyoRi was accidentally flirting with Sehun now but seeing it was an innocent statement, it was really hopeless.

“Annyeong, Sehunnie!” HyoRi gave Sehun a peck on the cheek as usual. “Take care of your health, noona,” Sehun ruffled her hair. “I will. Don’t worry. I’ll be able to tutor you soon,” she said with a smile on her face but Sehun noticed it was now half hearted. “Move on, okay, noona? We’re all worried about you,” Sehun said. “If… I can,” HyoRi looked down.

“When are you going to tell them about your leave?” Baekhyun asked. MiYeon avoided his eyes. “Never?” She answered. “When’s your flight?” Baekhyun asked again. “I don’t know. Right after the end of the school year, I guess,” MiYeon told him. “Why are you even leaving Korea?” Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows. “It’s classified, Byun Baek,” MiYeon said.

“Are you really sure you want to keep this a secret, MiYeon-ssi? The others will get worried,” Baekhyun said. MiYeon nodded. “Just remember to do this after we leave. Go here and the key is in the mailbox, then go to the living room. You’ll see two boxes there, one for M and one for K. Don’t forget to bring the others too,” MiYeon said. Baekhyun looked worriedly at MiYeon but only nodded, not asking more questions.

HyoRi headed straight to her room and plopped into her bed. She was staring at the ceiling and whispering to herself,” I can’t run away forever.” She covered her face with her pillow before screaming. “I need to face oppa soon. I can’t cower away like this. I should confess to him properly soon. A day before the flight would be good,” she said before falling into deep slumber.

MiYeon went straight to the living room and walked towards the two big boxes at the corner of the room. It had K and M written on top with bold letters and it was empty. MiYeon and HyoRi were both sad they’ll leave the boys after all. She later on sat on the couch and the TV to see the drama HyoRi has been watching these past few days. That girl is a er for dramas and she’s been telling MiYeon she’ll write a drama as good as The Heirs someday.

MiYeon laughed at the memory.

That was when her phone suddenly rang and when she looked at the caller ID, her face fell. She took in a deep breath and put her phone to her ear. “Doctor,” she said in a hoarse voice, she was afraid of this doctor but she trusted this person. “My friend, he told me you and HyoRi-ssi should go to America a week before the operation,” he said over the other line.

MiYeon’s world suddenly was destroyed at the moment. She opened but nothing went out. “So we’ve got less than two weeks?” MiYeon asked. “Ne, I’m afraid so,” the doctor said. “I’ll tell HyoRi about this. Thank you for the update, doctor,” MiYeon said. “No problem. I’ll book you a flight exactly one week before the operation, okay?” The doctor said. “Thanks, you’ve been a big help for both HyoRi and I,” MiYeon said. The doctor hung up and MiYeon lied on the couch, covering her eyes with her arm.

“Aigooo… I don’t want to leave them so soon. I was prepared before but the fact I’ll be leaving sooner scares me. A day without Jongdae is like another day without wi-fi!”