Her Last Day

Her Silent Song

“What?” HyoRi lifted one of her eyebrows as she stared at MiYeon in disbelief. “Ne, we’re going to America sooner than expected, HyoRi. Pack your things. Friday after exams, that’s the day of our flight. Luckily, we have no classes and just checking of the papers. I told the teachers already and made sure they’ll tell no one,” MiYeon elaborated.

HyoRi only nodded with a poker face. MiYeon was surprised she could be this calm about this matter. She expected HyoRi to suddenly cry or maybe ask if there’s another way. Maybe Luhan breaking her heart made her mature… somehow.

“Jongdae-ssi?” MiYeon tilted her head when she saw the familiar face. “MiYeon-ssi? What are you doing here?” Jongdae asked with a smile on his face. He was happy to talk to MiYeon after a long time. “HyoRi told me to come here. She said she’ll finally talk to Luhan-sunbae,” MiYeon said. “Hyung told me the same thing too. But why would they want to have us watch?” Jongdae asked. MiYeon shrugged.

Jongdae looked down, there was a perfect view of the school’s garden. HyoRi loves spending her time there, whether it’s for studying, inspiration or leisure. The only people she spends time there were MiYeon, KyungSoo, Baekhyun and Sehun, as expected. Sometimes, she would take Tao there too and Yixing.

Jongdae noticed Luhan was tending the roses there. He remembered every time Jongdae tried to touch those roses, HyoRi would almost kill him. Roses were special flowers to her after all. HyoRi was nowhere to be found though. Luhan picked a rose and sniffed it, not caring the thorns already pricked his fingers.

“I need to make her avoid me again. I need to,” Luhan breathed in. He put the rose down and his wound, thinking it would make the blood stop. “Pabo,” Luhan’s heart stopped as he heard her voice. He turned his head and saw HyoRi carrying a bandage and a pair of gloves. “Roses are dangerous even if they look beautiful,” she said, signalling Luhan to follow her.

They ended up by the empty flower beds. Those flower beds have been empty ever since Luhan was a freshman, he wondered why no one ever planted flowers there but that area has been a great place for picnicking, according to HyoRi back then.

“Come here,” HyoRi commanded and Luhan followed. She held his wrist and wrapped the bandage around it. “You should be more careful. Mina-ssi will get mad if you don’t take care of yourself,” she sounded hurt and Luhan flinched at her tone. “Anyways, I’m thankful you finally wanted to talk to me,” she added with a sad smile. “I’ve figured you wanted to kill me if I come anytime sooner,” Luhan half heartedly joked, just wanting to hear her laugh again.

“Aniyo, oppa. I would never want to kill you. After all you’ve done? I’ve got to thank you for letting me even meet our friends,” HyoRi smiled a bit after shaking her head. “Anyways, what did you want to talk about?” Luhan asked. “Last day of exams. Nothing to worry about tomorrow right? Well, I’ll give you something to worry about,” HyoRi wiggled her eyebrows and made Luhan laugh.

“What is she doing? Aish, pabo,” MiYeon muttered. Jongdae laughed at MiYeon’s reaction. “She’s going to confess. Am I right, MiYeon-ssi?” Jongdae asked. MiYeon frowned. Is she really going to do it? Their flight was tomorrow after all. If Luhan accepted her confession… no, HyoRi won’t believe him surely but what if she did?

“She can’t,” MiYeon whispered. “She just can’t…” MiYeon shook her head, turning her head away from what was happening. “Waeyo?” Jongdae asked as he worriedly looked at MiYeon. “Nothing,” she shook her head.

“Hey, oppa, saranghae. I love you even more than chocolate. So that means my love for you is so much. Sadly, you’re dating Mina-ssi but that’s why you should worry about it. I already cried my heart out during the last weeks of our school year so I’m fine by now,” HyoRi suddenly stood up. “Saranghae, oppa. I love you, goodbye,” she said before walking out.

Luhan knew about her feelings already but that sudden confession did shock him. He expected her to slap her. He expected her to punch her in the stomach like what she sometimes do to BaekYeol. He would accept what he did better if she had hurt him.

“Ah… HyoRi-ssi…” Luhan reclined his back and covered his face with his arm. “You really gave me something to worry about,” he rolled to his side. “Aish… I am so happy you confessed to me. I am… I just… If I can rewind time, I could’ve…” He bit his lower lip.

“I could’ve confessed to you sooner but now, you’ll never know of my feelings, right?”

MiYeon crouched down as she saw HyoRi walk out. “Aish… HyoRi…” She said in annoyance. “Maybe hyung likes her back though,” Jongdae whispered. “That’s it. She can’t. She can’t. I’m going to talk to her,” she stood up with a determined face. “Waeyo? Why are you so worried?” Jongdae furrowed his eyebrows.

“Jongdae-ssi, I’m sorry but this is only between HyoRI and I. Goodbye,” MiYeon said before running to where HyoRi was heading. Surely, that girl will head towards the shopping district. That’s how she forgets about things. She shops. A typical girl sometimes.

Jongdae sighed. “That was your chance, Jongdae. You could’ve asked MiYeon-ssi if she liked anyone and now, you blew your chance. Pabo,” he hit his head. Baekhyun suddenly blew into Jongdae’s ear. “Hey, saw Yeollie?” Baekhyun asked with a childish smile. Jongdae snapped out of his daze and shook his head. “Ani,” Jongdae smiled at him. “Something bothering you, Jongdae?” Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “Nothing. Ya, why do you think that?” Jongdae asked. “Just had a feeling,” Baekhyun shrugged.

“Hey, what’s hyung doing there?” Baekhyun said as he pointed at the garden. “Maybe sleeping,” Jongdae answered. “Want to come with me in trying to find Yeollie then?” Baekhyun asked. Jongdae nodded.

‘Just something to get my mind out of this drama.’

“Sehun-ah, you’re so handsome!” “Sehun-ah, notice me!”

The girls squealed when Sehun passed through the freshman halls with Jong-in and Tao. “You really are popular, Sehun-ah,” Tao elbowed Sehun. He only laughed as a reaction. “Well, that popularity won’t help him if his crush won’t give him that much attention,” when Jong-in said that, Sehun punched his arm. “Yah, don’t say that,” Sehun glared at him.

“But noona gives you enough attention though. You get kisses after all,” Tao pouted. “She only sees me as a younger brother. That’s the problem, hyungs. She only likes Luhan-hyung,” Sehun pouted also. “She’ll notice you someday. Luhan-hyung might’ve liked someone else after all,” Jong-in said.

Sehun was silent for a moment. He remembered what Luhan told HyoRi when she was unconscious. It was like he was only a third wheel in their romance plus that Mina chick. He’s only the sidekick to the wonderful Luhan. How can he compete with the top of the school?

“Sehun-ah, want to pass by noona’s place today? I’m going to return her novel,” Tao asked. Sehun hesitated but he nodded. “Sure, text her first won’t you? So we can have dinner in her place,” Jong-in said. Tao nodded as he put out his phone.

“Aish, pabo,” MiYeon half-whispered half-screamed when she found HyoRi in MIXXO. “What? What’s so bad about shopping here? SNSD approved shop,” HyoRi purred as she checked out some clothes. “Oh this is cute. Ah, daebak!” She clapped her hands as she looked through the clothes.

“Look, Tao-ssi texted you,” MiYeon said when she heard HyoRi’s ringtone. “And what kind of ringtone is ‘this is a pen’?” MiYeon narrowed her eyes at the figure of her best friend. “Bwoooo? Nothing better than a fictional character from Japan speaking English after all,” HyoRi said, grabbing another skirt. “Tao-ssi, Jong-in-ssi and Sehun-ssi are going to our apartment. Aish,” MiYeon said.

HyoRi then paid for the clothes she picked and said,” Then let’s go! I don’t want Sehunnie to wait~” MiYeon stared at her best friend with disbelief. HyoRi was weirdly innocent and flirty at the same time. ‘Aigooo, Sehunnie, I pity you so much,’ she thought to herself as she followed the skipping HyoRi. How the heck can this girl stay this happy after confessing to her love though that dude locked lips with another girl plus knowing they will leave the next day? MiYeon wanted to ask her since if there was a way, she could be as optimistic as her best friend.

Well, close to it.

And she means, act like an optimist.

“Noona!” Tao waved his hand when he saw the two girls going to their direction. The trio just arrived and were just hanging around the door of the apartment. Sehun was playing around with his phone, Tao was taking selcas and Jong-in was quietly reading something KyungSoo suggested to him. Tao was the first one to notice the pair of girls and seemed to be the most excited to see them.

HyoRi immediately hugged Tao and giggled a bit. “Ne, I bought some Gucci stuff,” HyoRi told him as she put up one of her hands. “Let’s go in first,” MiYeon said as she shook her keys in the air. “Sehunnie~ How are the exams?” HyoRi said as she glomped behind Sehun. “Thanks to noona, I think I did well,” Sehun answered. “Uwa, good, Sehunnie~ Luhan-oppa surely will be proud,” HyoRi cheered, as she pulled her dongsaeng into the apartment.

“Hyung…” Sehun whispered to himself with a bit of hatred. Why did he have to be so perfect? Why did HyoRi like him instead of Sehun? Sehun knows he isn’t that smart nor was he that expressive of his affection for his friends but he knows very well he can take care of HyoRi better than that deer. Sometimes, he hates his best friend for having a better life than he has.

“Noona, what are those?” Jong-in pointed at the two boxes in the living room. MiYeon shot a look at HyoRi. HyoRi then shook her head at Jong-in with a smile. “Our parents sent us some things. Now, sit down and I’m going to prepare dinner for all of us,” HyoRi said as she went into the kitchen.

“Ah, chincha… That was close,” she inhaled as she rested her hand on the refrigerator handle. “Sehunnie… Tao-ssi… Jong-innie… Why now? You three are too cute to be left behind,” she groaned. “Why am I such a soft noona?” She scolded herself.

“Noona, noona, why don’t you sing anymore?” Tao asked as he blinked a few times at MiYeon. “I just… serious case of sore throat? But don’t worry, I’ve had my check up,” MiYeon said, wishing Tao believed what she was saying. “Chincha? Get better, noona. Jongdae-hyung misses singing with you,” Tao said. “We miss our singer,” Jong-in commented. “Sometimes I get deaf whenever HyoRi-noona sings. Don’t tell her,” Sehun whispered, making them all laugh.

“It’s because she keeps on picking songs too high for her range,” Jong-in said. “But admit it, Sehun-ssi, you like it when she sings y songs, right?” MiYeon naughtily smirked. “I’m not that naughty, noona,” Sehun quickly shook his head as he blushed. “I remember Sehun’s smile when Joonmyun-hyung was teaching HyoRi-noona the Give It To Me dance plus she was even singing it,” Jong-in laughed. “Naughty Sehun. Tsk, tsk, not the innocent maknae we used to know. Did the hyungs teach you this?” Tao said as he shook his head.

“Yah, MiYeon-noona, Tao-hyung and Jong-in-hyung, stop it. What did I ever to you?” Sehun reacted. He admits to himself he was utterly when HyoRi was dancing and singing that but was it his fault? He found it y and he was a growing man. It’s normal, right? He was sure the others have their own fantasies and his was just the most innocent.

“You pushed me and made me fall on Jongdae-ssi,” MiYeon answered. “You made me steal KyungSoo-hyung’s underwear and he didn’t feed me for a week,” Jong-in answered. “YOU FREAKING STOLE MY GUCCI,” Tao almost shouted, making the other two laugh. “You’re lucky HyoRi-noona was kind enough to give me her Gucci bag,” he added with a pout. “She doesn’t need a lot of bags anyway,” MiYeon said.

“Yah, Mama, help me,” Sehun told himself as his cheeks got redder.

‘My feelings will surely get caught because of these three.’