Her Lovely Voice

Her Silent Song

“Aigooo… MiYeon, wake up, could you?” “5 more minutes, HyoRi. It was a hard night last night,” Choi MiYeon said as she covered her ears with her pillow. “Baboya…” Lee HyoRi muttered as she covered her face with both her hands. “We will be late because of you and you know we can’t be late,” she almost whispered, trying to keep calm. MiYeon sleepily opened her eyes, yawning a bit and turned to her bestfriend and roommate. “You do know Jongdae-oppa goes to school early,” she said, in attempt to make MiYeon move faster.

“Why call him oppa though you’re older?” MiYeon said as she sat up and rubbed her eyes. “It’s just a few months and it’s no fun being someone with an early birthday and being called noona all the time,” HyoRi reasoned. MiYeon only shrugged, too sleepy to annoy her right now. She’ll annoy her bestfriend later. “I’ll get ready in a sec. Go down and just wait for me,” MiYeon said as she yawned. “Alright. Just be fast, MiYeon,” HyoRi said before going out of the room.

“Okay, another day to see Jongdae-ssi,” MiYeon whispered to herself before standing up. “Another day to sing with him and laugh with him,” she told herself as she went to the bathroom with all she needed. “Another day to be just a friend to him,” a sigh escaped her lips as she said that undeniable truth.

After half an hour, MiYeon raced down the stairs to see HyoRi reading another book. “Took you long enough, MiYeon,” she said as she closed the book. “If I didn’t mention that camel dinosaur, I am so sure you won’t bother to get out of bed,” she said as she stood up and put the book in the bag. “Hey! Jongdae-ssi may look like that but you have no right to call him that,” MiYeon exclaimed. “Yeah, right,” HyoRi rolled her eyes before going out of the apartment.

MiYeon and HyoRi have known each other ever since they were in diapers. They never did fight seriously and rather, it was all for jokes and laughs. That’s why their parents agreed in letting them go to Seoul. They were with each other after all, they can handle themselves at least.

Their school was only a few blocks from the apartment so they usually walked. But now, noticing the time, they were practically sprinting through the busy streets of the said city. “Good morning!” Both of them greeted as they entered the halls. They were greeted by the popular boys of the school called EXO.

“Aiya, nearly late again?” Kim Minseok said as he smiled a bit. “It was all her fault, oppa,” HyoRi frowned, acting cute again. “Stop acting like that. It’s disgusting,” MiYeon elbowed HyoRi which earned her a pinch on the arm. “Let me be, MiYeon,” she said as she crossed her arms. MiYeon rolled her eyes. HyoRi was always like this around Luhan and it annoyed the heck out of her.

HyoRi was always the type to give her all when she likes someone.

The problem is Luhan was someone completely out of her league.

MiYeon guessed this was another heartbreak for her bestfriend but she thought of how HyoRi supported her on her feelings for Jongdae. She should support her on her feelings too. But seriously, this was too disgusting for MiYeon’s taste. “She’ll never change will she? And Luhan-hyung will always be that clueless person,” Jongdae suddenly appeared beside MiYeon and whispered those words in her ears.

MiYeon nodded a bit and frowned. But then she turned to Jongdae. “Stop whispering into my ears. Actually, stop being near my ears. It tickles,” MiYeon said as she covered her ears. Jongdae laughed a bit and straightened up his posture. “Sure, sure,” he said as he smiled at her. MiYeon returned her attention to the group when Jongdae suddenly blew air into her ear.

“KIM JONGDAE!” MiYeon reacted as she bent her head to the left. “I hate you,” she muttered repeatedly while glaring at Jongdae. HyoRi was whispering something to Byun Baekhyun that made him chuckle. “Sweetness, sweeter than honey itself, yes, that’s young love,” HyoRi said as she acted like an old person. “I wish bees will sting them soon,” Baekhyun added that made HyoRi approve.

“Could you stop teasing us, HyoRi and Baekhyun-ssi?” MiYeon hissed. “Maybe you’ll two will start growing on each other if you keep being together like that,” when Jongdae said that, he earned a glare from both of the teasers. But they eventually laughed about it. “I am sure you both know we have someone else we like,” HyoRi said as she smiled goofily. “We know Baekhyun’s but who does HyoRi-ssi like?” Luhan suddenly asked.

HyoRi sighed in hopelessness. Why does she have to like someone this dense? She didn’t want to tell him directly right now. “You have to find out, oppa,” MiYeon said as she winked at the senior. HyoRi silently thanked MiYeon and MiYeon told her just to make it up by preparing hanwoo as dinner.

The school bell then rang and the group split up to go to their classes. Kris, Luhan and Minseok are classmates and in a separate class were Yixing and Joonmyun. Jongdae, MiYeon and HyoRi are classmates. KyungSoo, Baekhyun and Chanyeol are classmates. The younger ones were all classmates too, Tao, Jong-in and Sehun.

“Sing for me,” Jongdae chimed as he looked at MiYeon. They were seatmates in the back of the classroom after all. HyoRi was near the door of the classroom because of her luck. “Our teacher might hear us,” MiYeon whispered. “Then later. You have a sweet voice, Choi-ah. You should share it more,” Jongdae complimented which made MiYeon’s face red.

“It’s not as good as yours, Jongdae-ssi. You know I can’t hit low notes and you, sir, can hit both high and low notes successfully. And you also know how to dance,” MiYeon winked before laughing at herself. “I am a great dancer, aren’t I? And they say Jong-in and Yixing-hyung are better dancers than me,” Jongdae said proudly which made MiYeon laugh more.

“Choi! Kim! Listen!” The teacher then shouted. “Mianhe,” they both said in unison as they looked down on their laps. They looked guilty in the teacher’s point of view but under the desks, they were giving each other a thumbs-up.

After an hour of formulas and letters and what-not, the two were able to relax a bit. “Just a chorus, please,” Jongdae said as he did his aegyo. He knew very well MiYeon gives up to aegyo easily, except HyoRi’s aegyo, and well, Jongdae is MiYeon’s weakness. "Alright,“ MiYeon sighed. “Just once,” she held up one of her fingers.

MiYeon then began singing “What Is Love” which was one of the songs of Jongdae’s band. She was singing the Mandarin version since it was her favourite aside from that, Jongdae is part of the two people singing it, aside from Luhan. That’s why HyoRi loves this song too.

“You really love that song, huh,” Jongdae pointed out. MiYeon nodded lightly. “It’s fun singing it. It’s challenging,” she lied. It wasn’t obvious if she was lying though. Thank goodness for that. “Challenging, huh? You should try Two Moons then, or The Star,” he suggested. “Shut up. You know I hate fast songs!” MiYeon said as she hit Jongdae’s arm.

“Ouch, that hurts, MiYeon-ssi,” he pretended he was nearly crying. MiYeon just suddenly laughed as she saw his face. “So ugly!” She told him. “That’s mean.” “It’s called honesty, Mr Kim,” MiYeon put her hands on her waist. Jongdae laughed after pouting a bit and showing his aegyo. “So ugly, really. How can you be that ugly?” “You’re not that pretty yourself, Choi MiYeon,” Jongdae pinched her cheeks.

“Ouch, ouch, that hurts,” MiYeon said as she held Jongdae’s hands. “Let go of my beautiful cheeks before I break your cheekbones,” MiYeon threatened him. “Don’t, MiYeon-ssi. That’s one of my rare assets,” Jongdae said as he stopped. ‘That’s not it. Your whole existence is your asset. That’s why I like you,’ MiYeon thought. “Yeah, you are right. You don’t have much to cater anyways,” she jokingly said as she turned her back on him.

“That’s mean but that’s what I expect from you,” Jongdae chimed. “I mean, HyoRi’s kinda mean too so I get who influenced you,” he added. MiYeon only puffed her cheeks when he mentioned HyoRi’s name. “I am not being influenced by that deer lover,” she told him. “I think she’s influenced by me—I mean she’s getting minor dyslexia because of me,” she whispered. “Minor dyslexia? How can you influence someone to have minor dyslexia?” Jongdae laughed at the idea. “I don’t know. Ask her. She’s the one that blamed me for that,” MiYeon said as she shrugged.

Time was so slow in class. That’s why all three sophomores were happy when break time came, especially HyoRi since she didn’t have anyone to talk to by the door. “Finally,” HyoRi stretched out her arms. “Stop doing that. You’ll grow taller,” MiYeon hissed. “And so? I think oppa loves tall girls, like between 162 and 168 cm,” HyoRi chimed. “Why are you so addicted to being the girl that deer dude would like anyway? It’s better if he accepted you for who you were, not because of your appearance,” MiYeon muttered.

“Well that’s what you call true love, I guess,” Jongdae said while he was walking with the girls. “Yes, I love oppa. Sadly, he doesn’t look at me that way and he’s too dense,” HyoRi frowned. “It’s normal for him to be dense and isn’t it better to maintain this kind of friendship with him for now?” MiYeon looked at her best friend. “I guess so,” HyoRi reacted.

The three headed towards by the trees outside of the school building. This was where they always hang out. They would share stories about what happens and they share food, even if some people don’t like it. Joonmyun had a bunch of snacks for all of them there like always. Minseok had his dumplings and KyungSoo with his spaghetti. The group always cherished those kinds of moments.

“Hey, MiYeon, can you sing for us?” Luhan requested as he raised his hand. “I agree with hyung so I second the motion,” Sehun raised his hand, copying Luhan. “My voice is not in its top condition though—“ MiYeon tried excusing herself. “Come on, MiYeon-ah! Your voice is a God given gift so you should share it,” Chanyeol told her.

“I have no choice, do I?” MiYeon sighed. “You can do it! Fighting!” HyoRi cheered her on. “But…” MiYeon paused. “What’s wrong?” Baekhyun asked. “I don’t know any songs in Korean with only one singer. Well, I know Oppa Gangnam Style and Gentleman but that’s about it--  Oh, and also Gwiyomi, wait, does that have one singer?” MiYeon told them.

“Are you seriously Korean, MiYeon-noona?” Sehun sighed. “I love foreign things when it comes to solo artists,” MiYeon said as she shyly scratched the back of her neck. “Then sing one of our songs,” Jong-in clasped his hands. “Like what?” They all looked at the man with the darkest complexion. “Um…” Jong-in looked down and then at them and then at the leaves of the trees.

“What Is Love maybe?” He suggested. “Which version?” MiYeon innocently blinked a few times. HyoRi thought it was disgusting since that girl was acting cute for Jongdae again. “Which version do you like?” Yixing asked. “Chinese,” HyoRi answered for her. “MiYeon loves Chinese,” HyoRi teased. MiYeon shyly nodded, hinting a glare at HyoRi.

“Do you want Lu-ge or Jongdae to sing with you?” Minseok asked, taking a bite from his dumpling. “I feel more comfortable singing with Jongdae-ssi. Mianhe, Luhan-oppa,” MiYeon lightly bowed. “It’s alright. I’m not offended and it’s obvious why you picked Jongdae. You are always hanging out with him if you’re not around HyoRi,” Luhan said as he waved his hand.

“Oh, you noticed that?” MiYeon blinked her eyes. “Later with the chattering and go on with the singing. I want to hear the vocal goddess and vocal god,” HyoRi told them. Actually, she was just jealous MiYeon can talk to Luhan like that. HyoRi knew she can’t talk to him casually so the thought of MiYeon can do that makes her jealous.

Luckily, MiYeon quickly understood why HyoRi did that. “Okay then. Jongdae-ssi, do the honours in telling the gull how you feel,” MiYeon teased. “The gull’s heart will beat fast because of my confession, MiYeon-ssi,” Jongdae said as he jumped up. “Yi, er, san,” Tao counted.

Chen started their famous song:

Girl, I can’t explain what I feel

Oh baby my baby, baby, baby, baby, yeah~

Then MiYeon followed after him:

Màncháng de yītiān fǎngfú jiù xiàng duǎnzàn yī miǎo de gǎnjué

Měi tiān dū xiàng shì wèi nǐ xiě xià de qíngjié

The others relaxed in their own ways with HyoRi swaying from left to right, Minseok and Sehun resting their heads on Luhan’s shoulders, Tao’s head on Kris’ lap and Lay resting his head on the tree’s bark.

I lost my mind Dāng nǐ zǒu jìn wǒ shìxiàn

Jiù zài nǐ zhōuwéi zhěnggè shìjiè get in slow motion

Qǐng nǐ gàosu wǒ rúguǒ zhèyàng jiùshì ài

Ài wúsuǒbùzài huì ràng wǒ wàngjì shānghài fēndān bēiāi xuéxí guānhuái

Chǎoguò kūguò hái néng yǒngbào

Qǐng nǐ gàosu wǒ rúguǒ zhèyàng jiùshì ài

“Aigoo~ I’m so jealous of my best friend’s voice,” HyoRi chimed. “You have a great voice though,” Jong-in told her. “No, I don’t,” HyoRi frowned. “Yes, you do,” Jong-in insisted. “No, I don’t. I can just rap, that’s it,” HyoRi said, discontented by her skill.

“At least you can do fast songs. Most of these boys’ songs are fast and I can’t do it. Do more ballads for me,” MiYeon requested. “We’ll try,” Jongdae patted her back. “As long as you motivate us since we love school girls cheering us on,” Baekhyun said as he winked. “That’s why you have your fanclub, duh,” HyoRi told him. “It’s better if you two did it. We all practically got used to this place together. It’s like we’re one big happy family,” Joonmyun told them.

“I reject the fact of being a family,” HyoRi and MiYeon said in unison. “We’re pretty much fed up of each other,” MiYeon said, Hyori nodded in agreement. “But you two make a great team when it comes to music. I am sure you’ll get discovered in some way,” Yixing told them. “Nuh uh. No, we can’t. Our parents won’t allow us and being celebrities, in Kris-oppa’s words, it’s just not our style,” HyoRi told him.

“Such a waste, especially because you have a beautiful voice, MiYeon-ssi,” Jongdae complimented. MiYeon felt butterflies fluttering in her stomach as she heard that. “Thank you for saying that, Jongdae-ssi,” MiYeon managed to say.

“Ah, young love,” Baekhyun and HyoRi watched with lonely eyes. “If only we experienced that, right, Byun?” HyoRi looked at him. “I agree with that, Lee,” Baekhyun said. “Baboya,” MiYeon whispered, careful enough she was the only one hearing. “I heard that,” Jongdae smirked at her and she just smiled at him.