Her Silence

Her Silent Song

Lunch soon came and HyoRi was more silent than MiYeon was. All she did was nod and get stuck in her own world which was unusual and MiYeon thought it was about Mina. “HyoRi-ssi?” Luhan snapped his fingers in front of the lady’s face. “Uhm… Ah, huh?” HyoRi looked at him, her sandwich untouched. “You’ve been staring at that sandwich for a long time. Something’s up?” Minseok asked, wrapping his arms around Luhan’s neck from the back.

HyoRi shook her head, lightly smiling at her seniors. “Nothing. Don’t worry, sheesh. I’m not a kid anymore, oppa,” she told them. Luhan and Minseok looked at each other then sighed. Sehun put his head on HyoRi’s lap and activated his aegyo. “Hey, noona, buy me some bubble tea later,” he said. “You have Luhan-oppa for that, pabo,” HyoRi flicked Sehun’s forehead.

“Why are you so silent, MiYeon-ssi?” Jongdae asked as he took a bite out of his sandwich. MiYeon shook her head. She knew all her sharp remarks lessened because of her silence. “It’s nothing. I’m just not in the mood for talking,” she told him. “Don’t tell me you like hyung too and you’re changing into a demure and quiet girl,” Jongdae gasped. MiYeon playfully punched his arm.

“Pabo, I can never learn to like that deer dude,” she told him with a frown on her face.

I like you after all

Of course, MiYeon can’t admit that. “Because HyoRi-ssi likes him?” Jongdae teased. “Aniyo… Pabo, he’s not my style,” MiYeon said. “Hey, can MiYeon-ssi sing for us?” Joonmyun asked. MiYeon bit her lower lip and HyoRi shook her head. “She’s not in the right mood, oppa. Plus, she was singing so loud last night and I’m sure her voice is tired,” HyoRi lied, and for the first time MiYeon was thankful HyoRi was a great liar.

Joonmyun frowned. “Aw, I wanted to hear someone sing,” he said. “Why don’t you sing?” Yixing raised his eyebrow. “I said I wanted to hear, I didn’t say I wanted to sing,” Joonmyun told him. “Ah,” Yixing nodded, finishing his sandwich. “Then I’ll sing!” HyoRi raised her hand.

“We don’t want our eardrums bleeding,” Baekhyun said. “Your eardrums will bleed? Oh, another advantage then,” HyoRi grinned then she stood up. “But what song?” She asked herself. “You volunteered then you don’t know what to sing,” Chanyeol laughed. “Shut up. Wait, I know,” HyoRi then started singing and since she knew Korean solo artists, she didn’t need anybody as back-up.

She took a deep breath, trying to have the confidence to sing in front of these people who she knows are more talented than her. All eyes were on her now and she was nervous though not all of them noticed that.

Geudae ipsuri naui ireumeul soksagyeo jul ttaemyeon

Meomchwo seon gaseumi jakjiman cheoncheonhi dugeundaegon hajyo

Galsaek nundongja geu ane geu soge naega bichil ttaemyeon

Ppajyeobeoril geotman gatdan geol saranghaebeoril geot gatdan geol geudaeneun anayo

She continued the song, slightly swaying her upper body. Jongdae and KyungSoo were singing along with her in certain parts. She hoped Luhan didn’t notice her gazes as she sang.

Come to me closer meomchuji marayo geudae tonight

Nae yarbeun ipsuri geudaeui ipsure daheul su itge

Come to me closer eojetbam kkumcheoreom wayo

Oh love saranghandago malhaeyo

“Woah, that was a different kind of song choice altogether,” Kris reacted, smiling a bit. HyoRi smiled sheepishly as she rubbed the back of her neck. “What’s the title again?” Tao asked. “Closer’s the title. I just heard it over the internet, you know. Since Hyorin sang Let It Go so I figured to check her out,” HyoRi told them.

“I thought you only sang that because Hyorin is close to HyoRi,” Baekhyun said before smirking. “Shut up. She’s really good you know but I’ll be really neutral about her, like how I feel about Suzy,” HyoRi said as she crossed her arms. “Anyone else want to sing?” Suho asked. Luhan raised his hand. “Chinese?” Minseok asked and Luhan nodded. MiYeon was smirking at HyoRi. Soon, all of the boys smirked at her except for clueless Luhan.

HyoRi sat down where she was sitting before she sung, patting her lap which was the signal Sehun was allowed to put his head on it. She soon found herself caressing Sehun’s head and he was already purring. Minseok was lying on Sehun’s belly.

“Noona, that was such a…” Sehun couldn’t find a word to describe what HyoRi sang. “I know, I know,” she chuckled at the youngest one. “I like it when noona says those kinds of things,” Sehun said, having a teasing smirk on his face. “Eh? What do you mean? You naughty little maknae,” HyoRi pinched Sehun’s nose.

And then Luhan started to sing and HyoRi was completely immersed in his song.

Kàn nǎi bèimiàn wǒ shēntǐ qiàn zìrán

Kàn nǎi zhèngmiàn liǎngshǒu shīkòng zài chàn

Kàn nǎi xiào miàn wǒ kāixīn shù yè shù tiān

It had a calming tune and because of MiYeon, she understood Chinese a bit. This song was familiar. She rested her head to the bark of the tree, asking herself what song that was. “Jacky Cheung huh…” Yixing whispered to himself. And soon, he found himself singing along too.

Guāngyīn kěyǐ shùnjiān zhuǎn shù shí nián

Shēngsǐ qǐ diē yě zhī bù huì xìngmiǎn

Dāngzhōng zhǐyǒu ài de gǎnjué wèicéng biàn

HyoRi wished Luhan was singing it for her but the Jacky Cheung song was surely something he suddenly thought of. “Nice song choice. Let Me Tell You,” Kris gave Luhan a high five. MiYeon looked at HyoRi who was still stuck in her thoughts.

“Aigooo… That girl and her imagination,” MiYeon muttered. “MiYeon-ssi, want me to sing for you?” Jongdae asked, almost making MiYeon blush. “You don’t have to do that, you know. HyoRi already sang for me,” she said, waving her hands as if the idea was silly. “Eh? She sang for Luhan-hyung, I’m sure of it,” he whispered, careful enough his hyung won’t hear it.

“Won’t you let me?” MiYeon couldn’t resist Jongdae’s cat-like smile with his lips curved up like that. “Okay then, I won’t stop you,” MiYeon said, pushing Jongdae thus the boy stood up. “Hey, Jongdae-ssi, are you going to serenade MiYeon-ssi?” Baekhyun teased.

“Ah, they grow up so fast,” HyoRi wiped a fake tear from her cheek. MiYeon glared at the two. “I hope you two end up with each other,” she cursed. Baekhyun’s and HyoRi’s expressions darkened then they suddenly laughed. “As if I’ll end up with a loud mouth like that person!” They said in unison.

“Ah, Jongdae-ssi, what are you going to sing?” Joonmyun asked. “I love you by Rain,” Jongdae answered with a smile. And then he started singing, sending chills into MiYeon’s spine.

Saranghae~

Neomaneul ojik neo hanaman saranghaewasseo

Ireoke neol wihae junbihan sarang norae

Neomaneul wihaeseo this is love song to my girl

Oh~! This is real

My love

MiYeon felt her heart racing and HyoRi really wanted to because she was making those weird expressions when she’s affixed to something but she left her best friend alone and teased Luhan, Minseok and Sehun instead. MiYeon was completely in her own world like HyoRi was minutes ago.

She knew she was completely in love with Jongdae.

MiYeon clapped as Jongdae bowed. “How did I go?” He asked. “Good as usual, Jongdae-ssi. Geez, you didn’t tell me you’ll sing that type of song,” MiYeon slightly pouted. “What? You wanted me to sing something like ‘Stalker’ or ‘Let It Go’?” Jongdae pouted back.

“You two are disgusting. Get a room,” HyoRi said, resting her head on Yixing’s shoulder. “Well, you are flirty,” MiYeon stuck her tongue out. HyoRi frowned for a second, remembering something and then playfully smiled again. “Ohoho? Flirty? If she flirts, she’ll look like an ahjumma,” Baekhyun insulted, resulting into a shoe being thrown at him.

“What were you saying, Byun Baek?” HyoRi smirked as she raised one of her eyebrows. Baekhyun rubbed his head, pouting. “Channie, look, she hurt me!” He whined. “Get a grip of your boyfriend, Chanyeol-ssi. He’s becoming haywire,” HyoRi teased. “Stop it you two. You know I hate it when you two bicker too much,” Chanyeol told them.

Fun time was over when the bell rang. Like usual, the sophomore were together and Baekhyun and HyoRi didn’t look like they had this argument. “I’m really sensing the chemistry here,” KyungSoo said, smiling. “What chemistry? The subject?” HyoRi blinked a few times before getting what it meant.

“O-Oh…” She nodded. Baekhyun hit her head. “Pabo,” he smirked. “Shut it. And chemistry between who?” HyoRi asked, holding on Chanyeol’s hand that was on her shoulder. “You and Baekhyun of course. Everyone knows Jongdae and MiYeon-ssi have chemistry,” KyungSoo answered, making the four of his companions blush.

“WHAT?!” They all reacted, MiYeon whispering of course because her voice was at stake. KyungSoo chuckled and Chanyeol was lightly slapping his thighs as a reaction. “Byun Baek and me? Crazy! Seriously, my heart belongs to oppa!” HyoRi whispered. “And I already have someone owning my heart too,” Baekhyun puffed his cheeks. “I’m just saying you two have chemistry. It would be fun if you went out,” KyungSoo said innocently.

Baekhyun and HyoRi sighed. “Ne, it’s alright. You and sunbaenim can be like that if you just talk to him casually, you know,” MiYeon elbowed HyoRi. “You know that’s impossible right?” HyoRi said as she pouted, letting go of Chanyeol’s hand. “Impossible? You were laughing with him earlier!” MiYeon said. “Well, because Minseok-oppa and Sehun-ssi were there and they helped me,” HyoRi reasoned out.

After school hours, the gang decided to go to the library to study. Everyone would expect them to be noisy but they divided into groups. “Mathematics…” MiYeon and HyoRi groaned, putting their heads on the table. “But isn’t HyoRi-ssi good in Math?” Jongdae blinked his eyes innocently. HyoRi rolled her eyes and MiYeon did too. “She’s good because it’s in their blood,” MiYeon mumbled.

“Her mom’s an accountant and her father’s an engineer plus her sister’s best in Math of her batch,” she added. “So those kinds of things can be inherited? Daebak!” Chanyeol clapped, earning a ‘hush’ from the librarian. “Mianhe,” he whispered. “Anyways, just teach us,” Jongdae pleaded. “We’re not a Math genius like you,” he added. “She doesn’t look like a genius though,” Baekhyun scoffed.

“You want me to teach you and you insult me,” HyoRi pretended she’ll cry. MiYeon lifted her head and shook her best friend’s body. “Stop being a drama queen and teach us. Exams are coming up after all,” MiYeon whispered. “I just want to go back home and sleep and forget about life,” HyoRi whined.

Baekhyun then copied her and made it more dramatic, making Chanyeol laugh again. “Shut up, Byun Baek,” HyoRi put her chin as the weight support of her head and glared at him. “Just teach us and he’ll stop,” KyungSoo said, pushing the Math textbook towards HyoRi. She slowly lifted her head up but slouched on the chair. “The lesson this quarter was easy. Why are you so worried about it?” She said.

MiYeon hit HyoRi’s head. “Because you’re used to not studying before the exams,” she said. “That’s why you don’t get top grades!” MiYeon lectured. “Just because your parents aren’t here to keep an eye on you.” HyoRi groaned as a response. “They never bothered to keep an eye on my grades since well, grade school! I’ve always sailed alone when it comes to my studies,” she said as she pouted.

“Aw, should we take pity on you now?” Jongdae teased. “Just teach us!” Chanyeol whined. “I think if Luhan-hyung was the same year as us, she’ll start teaching immediately,” Baekhyun teased, making HyoRi blushed. “Ya!” HyoRi hit Baekhyun’s head with a book this time. “With that reaction, I think what Baekhyun said was true,” KyungSoo said before lightly chuckling.

“Even if it was true, that kind of information is already known by all of us, unlike our Math lessons,” MiYeon whispered, gesturing to the textbook. “Didn’t you listen to our teacher? Well, I didn’t too but even so,” HyoRi frowned.

“Hey, kids, are you done?” Joonmyun suddenly sat beside Baekhyun, putting his arm on the younger one’s neck. Everyone except HyoRi shook their heads. “She doesn’t want to teach us,” Baekhyun whined. “Oh, this is easy,” Minseok appeared by HyoRi’s shoulder. “In fact, it is,” Luhan said, appearing at the other side of the shoulder. “It’s because you’re at the top of your class, hyungs,” Chanyeol pouted like a puppy.

“Well, that’s not true,” Luhan smiled. HyoRi can’t really look away from him right now but she should if she doesn’t want to get caught by him. “Luhan-hyung, HyoRi-ssi doesn’t want to teach us,” Jongdae whined, pretending to cry. “She says she’s too lazy,” Baekhyun backed him up, earning a glare from HyoRi.

“You’re wasting your knowledge about this, HyoRi-ssi,” and when Luhan said her name, she felt chills on her spine and butterflies in her stomach. “B-But… oppa,” she stuttered. She can’t argue with Luhan. She knows that all too well. “Noona promised to tutor me so I have dibs on her,” Sehun suddenly appeared and HyoRi was fairly thankful he did.

Sehun winked at her and then told his seniors,” She promised to teach me when she saw me flunking Math so all in all, I have the right to have noona all to myself while the exams are coming.” HyoRi almost wanted to protest with that all to myself but she kept her cool. MiYeon was almost giggling at this. It was like Sehun and HyoRi would go on a date.

“I was expecting you to ask me to teach you. Are you abandoning me, Sehunnie?” Luhan acted as if he was hurt. “I can never abandon you, hyung,” Sehun held Luhan’s face and then suddenly burst into laughter, followed by the other people there. “That was so gay!” MiYeon commented. “Don’t worry, oppa. I won’t still your darling boyfriend from you--  oh wait, what about Minseok-oppa? Oh my gosh, Luhan-oppa is such a flirt having Minseok-oppa and Sehun-ssi all to himself,” HyoRi reacted, making them all laugh more.

MiYeon was only laughing softly as she watched them. If she had more of her voice, she could’ve said more and they could’ve laughed more but she seriously can’t abuse her voice and HyoRi was fairly strict about that. She shook her head out of the thought and laughed along with them.

“Anyways, I’ll be pulling noona from you all!” Sehun said, literally pulling HyoRi out from her chair, forcing her to grab her bag and have a hard time following him. Luhan slightly frowned but then smiled when he watched them. MiYeon was the only person who noticed that and she smirked.

Maybe she does have a chance with deer boy.