Chapter 9

I Am Myth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  “The small table over there.”  I pointed to an altar table resting in front of the fireplace.  “Each of you can place a rose on the right side and make a silent request.”

  “What are you doing with yours?”  Himchan asked as Zelo handed each of them the purple petal roses.

  “Sealing it in resin as a final offering at the end of the year.”  I responded as I sliced the head of the rose off and dropped it in the jar I had waiting.

  I took a seat on a cushion near the low rising rectangular table in the center of the room.  I shut my eyes as I felt the small spark that filled me each time one of the human boys placed a rose on the altar and placed their request upon the stem.

  It has been longer than I care to admit since I have celebrated the Day of Light.  I have never once done it as it should be done since the beginning.  I have refused to do as my brothers and sisters have done; being in the same vicinity of the place is enough for me to care for.

  Zelo was the final boy to set his rose down as he kneeled down with his head bowed and carved the wish into the rose for me to read and grant if placed true.  When he stood up he looked over at me, “So what is it that we are doing with what you had us do just now?”

  “What are we doing this project on anyways, Violet?”  Yongguk asked as they all took seats around the table, eyes expectantly looked towards me.

  “As I said in the class, we shall be doing a study on the Myths.  The beings that began all and everything is descended from.”  I told them.  “If one knows anything of the legends and stories than this day is one that is very celebrated.  It is the Day of Light, the day told to be the one when the Myths first emerged from the earth and into the light.  It is then followed by the Day of Blessing sixteen days later.”

  The six boys simply nodded along, but it was clear when I watched them that they had little clue what I was telling them.  Having not been exposed to anything of this nature and religion it was easy to understand that they would not understand this so easily.

  Over our time working together I am going to be teaching them about the legends surrounding me as well as exposing them to what the humans would call a religion.  They will learn the ancient ways of my kind and the sacred days we conform to.  Understand the rituals that are done and incorporate them into daily living.  At the end of this, when I let them go I hope that they do not forget what I teach them.

  “The project we were assigned was to trace the roots of an immortal being.  Because of the timing in the earth cycles, it seemed like a perfect time to start with the very origin and beginning of the Myths.”  I spoke once again as I began to play with a strand of beaded purple amethysts.

  “So what’s the story behind their existence then?”  Youngjae rested his hands behind him and leaned back, scanning around the room.

  I hummed in thought.  I knew I have a scroll that had a pretty accurate account of the event – I believe it was of Tara’s emerging.  Hers was one of the more spectacular entrances to this world; while all of your entrances are documented, most only know of them from my sister’s account of the event.

  “Fourth shelf, third book in.”  I told Daehyun who went to get the animal hide bound, pressed flower parchment book.  Once he brought it back and set it on the table he looked up at me, “Twenty-eighth page, half way down.”

  “How do you know that?”  Daehyun asked as he carefully flipped to the page I indicated to him.

  “I was raised learning and studying it.  I know everything that is in this house.  It is for your benefit that I am not doing this alone and for you to learn something new in the process.”

  “This here?”  Daehyun asked once he found the hand written calligraphy that began to tale of Tara’s emergence.

  If there was one thing I was grateful for in the accounts and stories of us, it was that a name was very rarely ever mentioned save for the works directed towards a certain Myth.  All the books, scrolls and papers within this building had not a single name in them, the ones that did read of my name I was not going to show those to these humans without the absolute need to.

  Nothing that was done or read in this sanctuary would alert my brothers and sisters or call them to this place for any reason.  They would not be able to gain access to this place or access to these humans I am remaining close to.

  “Yes, read that for us please.”  I told him after glancing quickly at the writing he was questioning about.

  “Surrounded in darkness for many millennium, minds laid to rest have finally begun to awaken.”  He started as he deciphered the curled and delicate writing of the scriber.  “Minds gained cognition of their surrounding, the grain of the soil encasing them, the smooth perfectly angled shape they were trapped within.  Eyes tuned to see everything around them when no ray of light could reach them.  Refusing to be trapped longer within the earthen chamber any longer, the being within pressed its palms on the glass smooth soil.  With a blast of energy and force of will the top of the box within the earth crumbled to dust and shift up into the sunlit air of the earth.  Leaping from the ground the flawless being stood before the world and let its care, calmness and protection grace the land.”

  “So they just came from the ground one day?”  Zelo asked curiously.

  I nodded slightly.  “They came from this earth, born of a world that needed them.  Created from a new formed world ready to release them once the time they matured and grown had come.”

  Youngjae pulled a note pad from his bag as Daehyun had been reading and was scribbling words down on the pages.  “What is the history around this Day of Light?  Is it a celebration of their emergence and existence or something

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter