Chapter 4

I Am Myth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  I woke up to the last ray of sunlight setting over the river rushing east and out of my personal sanctuary.  I only had at most fours hours of sleep, but it would have to be enough for now, I could adapt to living with little sleep.  I was created to adapt to my environment and situations with no trouble at all.

  I changed out of the clothing I wore to school that day; it wasn’t the most practical for me to go around it.  I pulled the black legging out and slipped them on before pulling on a hooded black sweated the hugged my body.  I slipped my hair out from under the neckline and let it flow around me.

  Time to go watch over the city for the night and see just who could make their voice known through the millions fighting for my attention.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Zelo’s found his way into my head throughout the night from time to time.  It just wouldn’t seem right is I didn’t hear his voice at least once.

  A scream filled the air around me, one that wasn’t generated in my head.  I always had a choice to make if they could reach me mentally yet I still heard them.  I never turned down a cry for help if they called out to me loud enough, if they were desperate enough.  But when I heard them or saw them on the street my mind didn’t give me that push to go save them.

  But very rarely did I ever turn down a cry for my aid if I heard it.  I have to ability to save those from this fate of theirs and send then down a new road before they would meet a different death.  I can stop a human from dying many different deaths throughout their lived, but once they hit their expiry date they will die and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

  I stood at the entrance on the alley I watched the teenager get dragged into.  I moved to the shadows so I wouldn’t be seen and waited a moment, I wasn’t alone so doing something now would pull attention towards myself.  The girl was held against the wall by as three boys not yet out of high school surrounded her.

  I could hear the heartbeat of another human hidden in the shadows of the alley watching like I was.  Waiting for his turn to strike, it would seem this was one of those times I wasn’t needed to help.  I moved to watch the alley from the top of the three-story building creating a barrier for this alley.  I watched as the forth boy made his move to attack the other boys away from the girl.

  I didn’t stay long after that, there was no need for me to be there, there are reason I don’t hear certain voices that cry out.  If I am not needed then there is no need for me to listen to them.  If they are meant to live or are aided by another human then I have no need to interfere and I do not interfere in those situations.  I might watch should I have nothing to do, but I do not involve myself.

  “I saw someone that seemed strikingly like you did, my savior.”  There came Zelo’s twinkling voice.  “Was that really you?”

  I smiled, “Yes Zelo that was me.  I couldn’t seem to stay away.”

  I was running from rooftop to rooftop.  Jumping over the alleys and strolling people below me without a care.  The wind blew my hair behind me as the sound of voice filled my ears instead of the wind one would hear while running.

  “Get away from me!  I’m going to kill you before you ever get the chance to scratch me.”  I stopped short as that swirled around my head.  When a voice reaches me it is always before their death is coming, and it is always a scream for help.  So then why was this a thought that I was getting?

  The deep voice rumbled through my head once again, “Damn, to think I lost those bastards.  If they find me it is not going to end well.”

  I can’t turn away from hearing a human asking for help, no matter the form it comes in.  I fizzled away from the rooftop I was on to find myself soon situated on the roof of a house.  I crouched down so I wouldn’t be as visible to any on lookers, but there was no one around except for the boy who called for me.

  The streets were deserted and no house lights were one.  It was well into the night and just by looking at the neighborhood I knew that even if any one heard of saw something they weren’t going to do anything about it.  The human who called me had a hood over their head as they were doubled over panting, I could see the sweat beads dripping from his forehead from my position.

  “I can’t let them find me.  I dead if they do, and even If they don’t they won’t give up until all of us are.”  His voice rumbled both in my head and through the street softly.  He spoke aloud, but that didn’t stop my mind from finding them as well.

  I looked out down the street as I heard the thumping of boots.  A group of seven burly men were running down the street straight towards the boy I was now charged with guard.  Various weapons clasped in their grips ranging from metal pipes to baseball bats to knives.  This boy stood no chance in the condition he was in.  No wonder his voice found me.  He was as good as dead if I didn’t show up.

  He was still bent over but I could see his head tilt towards the increasing volume of feet thumping.  He knew they were close, but looked as if he gave up the will to do anything.  I wasn’t going to let him die like this.  He had a new fate to find.

  Standing up on the roof I took a step forward over the edge and dropped to the ground landing in a crouch to absorb the shock.  Standing up to my full height I held my head high as I walked out to where the boy was still half standing.  I planted my feet firmly on the ground between him and his incoming assailants.

  I left my eyes as their amber color for the time being, I didn’t need them just yet.  I didn’t move from my position or flinch as the boy’s hand wrapped around my wrist, “You need to get out of here.”  He told me as he tried to pull me away, but I didn’t budge.  “They will kill you, ple

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter