COOL MARK

MY FATHER'S APPRENTICE

  We came to the school. It's actually my first time here. We went to his training room. It looked like regular dance practice room with added equipments and foam puzzles

  "I'll just change to training clothes." he said before going out. He came back after a few minutes wearing a black, traditional martial arts clothes. I have to say, he did look good.

   "Woah. You look like a ninja." I said and he chuckled. 

   [A/N] he wore this without the mask/headgear. :))

 

   "If father coming now?" I asked.

   "Actually no. I'll just practice what he taught me yesterday. Then he'll test me tomorrow." he explained. My shoulders automatically deflated.

   "You're disappointed aren't you?" he asked.

   "It won't change anything even if I say I am." I shrugged.

   "Isn't this a bit... boring?" I asked as he started stretching.

   "Do you get bored when you play the piano?" he asked, he's already kicking on air.I shook my head.

   "You don't get bored when you do what you like. In your case, it's playing the piano while mine's Martial arts." he said. I just nodded.

   He looks to concentrated. Passionate. He looks so strong, there wasn't any traces of the gentle Mark I knew. Cool.

   Yes, what he does amazes me. But something inside me doesn't want to watch him. What if he gets hurt? What he does is really dangerous. One wrong move might lead him to the hospital. I was scared for him. He did get hurt... right before my eyes. He landed on his shoulder while doing a flip.

  "Mark!!" I ran towards him. "Are you okay? Are you hurt somewhere? What happened? I thought you know what to do?" I literally bombarded him with questions. He just chuckled.

  "I'm fine" he said. I glared at him because he was still chuckling.

  "Why are you laughing?!" I asked him.

  "You were so scared you almost cried." he said, still chuckling.

  "Should I laugh at you when you break your bones then?" I asked.

  "No. It's just that you're cute when you're concerned." he explained.

  "I'm always cute." I flipped my hair. he chuckled and patted my head.

  "Yes, you are." he said. He went back to practice after that.

   After 4 long hours of practice, he said we're going home. The car ride only took 15 minutes. I went straight to my room when we got home. I took a bath and wore comfortable clothes, which means jogging pants and large shirt. I heard a knock while I was busy brushing my hair.

   "Come in." I said loudly.

   "Hi." Mark said, peeking through the door. He went inside and sat on the corner of my bed. I looked at him through the mirror.

   "Do you need anything?" I asked him. He shrugged. "I just don't want to be alone" he said. I played music from my phone and laid on my stomach beside him.

   "You're bettet than this." he said. I just smiled with my eyes closed.

   "Can you play for me?" he asked. I looked at him.

   "Why?" I asked him.

   "Your music soothes me." waah, what a compliment? I was really flattered I had no choice but to oblige.

   "Myleen, I'm obviously older than you, right?" he said. I think I know where this is going.

   "Yeah." I replied.

   "Why aren't you calling me oppa?" he asked. I knew it.

   "I don't have a brother, and never have been close to an older guy, let alone a guy. Technically, I don't have anyone to call oppa so I'm not used to it" I said.

   "But you have me now." he said.

   "I'm sorry." I said.

     We had a very quiet dinner. We usually talk about his family and friends in the states , sometimes about the contests I've joined, but now no one is talking. He must be mad because I didn't want to call him oppa. Is it my fault if I'm really not used to it? Why does he want me to call him oppa in the first place? 

   MARK's POV

   I think I'm being silly. I asked Myleen to call me oppa, just because I heard one of the lower grade students call a classmate of mine 'oppa'. But, she really should call me oppa because I'm older. I didn't really have to ask. 

   I didn't know how to approach her at dinner. I've never felt akward before. I want to talk to her but didn't know how to start. 

   After dinner, I tried talking to her but I saw her on the balcony, talking to someone over the phone while taking notes down. I sat near her, making her notice my prescence.

   "If we can have it done sooner, it would be better. It would be an acquaintance party after all." she said through the phone, which was on speakerphone.

   "Geez, you still talk to me so formally Myleen." the person on the other line said, who I learned is a guy.

   "Youngjae-ssi, we're talking about formal things right now. Besides, I won't really talk to you if we are not in the same club." Myleen said. I heard the guy cough.

   "Should I talk about something personal then?" he asked.

   "If that would make you feel better, shoot." she said nonchalantly.

   "Are you allowed to date already?" he asked. Myleen, who was cupping her jaw lazily looked at me shocked, as if not wanting me to hear that.

   "Those matters shouldn't concern you though" she said, trying to gain her composture back.  "I was expecting you'd ask what my favorite color is or things like that." 

   "Sorry, you must have been shocked because of my bluntness, but might as well take the chance now" he said.

   "I'm not getting you." Myleen said

   "Could you start calling me oppa?" he asked. Her wide eyes became wider.

   "Why?" she asked.

   "Aren't we friends? Come on  we even celebrate our birthday together." he said

   "That's to save money, we didn't want to spend lots if clubmoney for different parties when your birthday's the day after mine." she said, looking at me.

   "But we had---""I gotta go now Youngjae-ssi, I shouldn't stay up late." she said and hung up.

   "Schoolmate?" I asked her. She nodded.

   "That's Youngjae, he's also a part of the school's event club, we're coordinators, the two of us." I nodded. "And he's just clingy" she added. 

   "He likes you." I told her.

   "I don't, I mean, he's kind, but I don't feel the same way towards him." she said, more like defended.

   "Do you think it's clingy to ask you to call him oppa?" I asked.

   "You're not clingy, I mean, it's not. He does things worse than that." she explained.

   "Looks like you're really sleepy" I smiled so did she.

   "It's not that, I just don't want you to not understand me." she said.

   "What am I to you?" I asked her. I don't want to expect she sees me as a brother though I want her to treat me as one.

   "You're a brother to me. I just am not comfortable with the word oppa" she told me.

   "It'll come to you sooner or later." I said.

   "I'll be waiting, I don't want to be forced." she said.

   "Go to sleep now" I told her. She nodded and headed to her bedroom door.

MYLEEN's POV

   He's takes things well. That's wise. He understands the situation. He's really cool. I'm sure he'll make a cool brother.