Losing Him

Boyfriend One-Shots

You are still on your senior year in high school.

Your boyfriend Donghyun is going to a university three hours away from your school.

He never fails to greet you in the morning and tells you he loves you before saying goodnight.

You definitely cherish each other despite the long distance relationship.

He’s the only person who could crack the lamest joke but would still make you laugh.

He sings you lullabies when you can’t sleep. So basically he was everything to you.

He was like a father, a brother, a friend and a lover to you.

 

At exactly twelve o’clock at night your cell phone rang.

“Saengil chukha hamnida~ Saengil chukha hamnida~ Saranghaneun ~~~~~-ah, Saengil chukha hamnida!” you heard Donghyun sang for you on the other line.

“Komawoyo oppa.” You said happily at the same time you felt empty because he won’t be there on your birthday.

“Did I wake you up?” he asked. “Aniyo oppa, honestly~” you hesitated.

“I was waiting for your call.” you admitted anyway while blushing.

You heard him chuckled “I made sure I was the first to greet you. Saranghaeyo baby ~~~~~~.” and you heard a sound of a kiss.

“I love you too oppa.” You said tenderly and kissed your phone too.

“Sleep tight ~~~~~-ah.” “You too oppa.”

And that was the end of your conversation. You slept with a smile on your face.

 

The very first thing you did in the morning was check your phone.

There were greetings from your friends and relatives but no message from Donghyun.

You found it odd but didn’t give much thought to it and still did your daily routine.

 

Two days had gone by, and it was on your birthday since you last heard from him.

You started getting nervous and worried.

You couldn’t even reach him at his cell phone.

You just got back from school. “Omo oppa?” You were surprised to see Donghyun leaning at the wall just beside the gate.

He was looking at you with a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes.

All your worries vanished in thin air. You threw yourself and hugged him tightly.

“Where have you been? I’ve been worried.” you said as you gently rubbed your cheek on his chest.

“Mianhe, something came up.” he said as he hugged you too. “I missed you.” he whispered.

He gently untangled himself from you and said “Get dressed. We’re going out.” he smiled.

 

He took you to dinner and late night movie.

From that day on, you always find him waiting for you after school hours outside your house.

He would take you to dates you have never tried before.

He took you to Lotte World. You went to a park and star gazed. You played at the doraebang and he sang for you.

The last date you had, he took you to a cozy dinner at a restaurant overlooking the city.

You didn’t bother to even ask him how he could still meet you for five days in a row despite the distance of his school and yours.

“Goodbye oppa. I’ll see you tomorrow?” you said somehow feeling uncertain.

He just smiled at you “Goodnight ~~~~~-ah.”

 

“~~~~~-ah, I will always love you.” Donghyun said.

He waved you goodbye and walked towards the light.

“Oppa?” you called out, confused. He didn’t look back.

“Oppa!” you called again. He kept walking towards the light.

You felt your chest tightened and ached “Kajima oppa!”

Startled, you woke up with tears in your eyes.

You were feeling very empty when you woke up so you called Donghyun.

“Yeoboseyeo?” a girl’s voice answered.

Your heart started hammering inside your chest. “May I speak to Donghyun oppa please?”

The girl on the other line started crying.

“~~~~~-ah, this is Donghyun’s sister. Didn’t you know what happened? Oppa got into an accident. Come immediately.”

You dropped your phone as your hands shook.

You didn’t think of anything other that getting there as soon as possible.

 

When you arrived it wasn’t Donghyun on a bed you saw but his portrait with a black ribbon on top of it.

In the middle you saw a small jar with candles beside it.

You were wide-eyed and shocked. Donghyun’s sister hugged you and she pulled you to Donghyun’s room.

“When did this happen?” was the first words that came out of your mouth.

“Donghyun oppa went to surprise you on your birthday but got into an accident instead.” she sobbed.

Your world darkened and you collapsed falling hard on the floor.

You heard Donghyun’s soft voice. “~~~~~-ah I will always love you but you have to forget me. Look for someone else who loves you as much as I did but will not leave you like I did.”

You regained consciousness. You eyes started to burn hot until you finally shed your tears.

“The last five days was real and I’ll never forget them. I love  you ~~~~~-ah” you heard his voice faded along the wind.

You felt like your chest would burst. It hurts too much.

“Oppa! Oppa!” you helplessly cried out.

 

You felt someone shook you and you opened your eyes.

You were in a familiar room. It was actually your room. You blinked your eyes and realized you were crying.

“Yah! Why are you sleeping on the floor?” Donghyun had his face close to yours.

“And why are you crying?” he said as he wiped your tears away.

“Oppa!” you reached out to him and hugged him tight.

“Yah, waehgoreh?” Donghyun asked worried. “Did you have a bad dream?”

You nodded. He didn’t know how relieved you were to see him.

Donghyun gently tear you away from him. He handed you a small box.

You opened it and saw a ring. He showed you his hand with a matching ring on his finger.

It was a couple ring. “Surprise! Happy Birthday ~~~~~-ah. I love you.” He said as he put the ring on your finger.

Your world now seemed perfect again.

He then bent down and lightly kissed your lips.

 

________________

I thought of this story when I went to a relative’s funeral.

Hope you enjoyed it…

Please comment and subscribe if you like it.