Memory

Before you loved me...

Reita's POV

Actually, in my entire life I didn't have the reason to complain. My mother gave me everything what I needed for. Her love to me was boundless. But even this like everything else in life, was transient.


 

I knew that I wouldn't have been late from home. But we had so much fun with the others, so I thought a couple of hours more couldn't hurt. However I was wrong...
I have already closed the door and was about to sneak into my room, when I noticed the light from the kitchen. 

'She might be waiting for me? Certainly she worried a lot...' I puckered up my lips and acknowledged that I wasn't gonna get away with the telling off...

I headed towards the kitchen silently and slowly. I don't like when she's yelling at me... but I don't like it either that my friends can stay as for long as they want, while I need to be at home in time...- I look in the kitchen but don't see anyone.

"Mom?" I ask and going inside. 'Where could she be? She just left the light on like this?'

I ask from myself while I'm going further inside. Suddenly I freeze because I see an arm beside a chair on the floor. My sudden shock turns into panic as I go closer and relize that she lies on the floor.

"MOM!!?" I hurry there and kneel on beside her.

She doesn't respond and doesn't move, I start to shake her to wake her up. But she doesn't wake up. I check her pulse which luckily she has. I immediately hurry to the phone to dial the ambulance. My heart beats in my throat and don't even remember what I have said to person on duty who picked up the details. 

Until the ambulance didn't arrived I was there with her holding her hand, but she didn't opoened her eyes. The ambulance ringed the doorbell and I instantly let them in. They asking question about if she has any problems or is sick... but none of them. I don't remember that she stayed at home because she didn't felt herself good.

They put her up on a barrow and take her away while I follow them. I don't leave her, not even for a minute. I sit in the back of the car and watching as the they trying to wake her up, putting her on the machines.


 

"Are you Esumi-chan's son?" I come back as her doctor speaks to me and places his hand on my shoulder. I look up at him and nod.

"Yes, I am." I answer quietly and stand up to honor him.

"Her condition's now stable." he says, but I can see  on him that he doesn't want to tell me something.

"Is there something else, right...?" I ask, meanwhile I hope that I just imagine it and the doctor will shook his head and tell me that my mother got a cold.

"...as a matter of fact there is something." he says while I close my eyes. "Your mother has cancer. It's already advanced, unfortunately we can't do anything for her...

'NO! IT CAN'T BE!' I open my eyes and look into his, from where I can tell that he isn't lying. Why would he? It's neither funny nor cheerful...

"But... but... it can't be! She was never ever sick!"

"It might be that she wasn't sick earlier. But for some time she is..." he says then my eyes widen.

"NO!" I yell at him.

"I'm sorry, Akira-san, but yes." he puts his hand on my shoulder but I pu away. "Your mother came to me long ago..." he adds, then I take my look at him startled and questioningly. "She didn't wanted you to know. But now she can't play for time to tell you... go in and talk to her." he says kindly, but for me it doesn't look kindly at all.

I nod and go into that room which he pointed. I close behind me the door then walk to the bed. The sight terribly hurts me and the sense that she doesn't have much left. I just can't belive it that it happens to us. My mother never has hurt nobody. She always worked for a steady income. Never has stolen, never has lyed and never has cheated. She can be classifiesd to the most fair people... she doesn't deserves it to happen it with her...- I stop beside the bed. Carefully I take her hand into mine and she slowly opened her beautiful brown eyes.

"Sweetie..." she says quietly and weakly.

"Mom..." I look down at her and I don't need much more to start crying. I'm scared, really scared.

"I-I'm sorry... I didn't want you to know it like this..." she sits up a little more, in which I help her.

"But why didin't you told me? Why like this? And since when?" I look at her.

"Almost since two years I have been knowing that I have cancer... but I didn't know how to tell you. I didn't want to tell you, because you're still so young." -she starts to cough- "I didn' want your childhood to mess up..."

"That's stupid! What's that you didn't want?! I would have had the right to know." 

"Rei... Sweetie..." she reaches to my face with her hand, I close my eyes and snuggle to the touch. "It's hard even to an adult, not for a child..."

"But even so! If I know, then..." I started to talk back, but she takes her hand in front of my mouth.

"Then you wouldn't have done that, what a child needs to do. Instead you would have paid attention to me and that I couldn't have let that happen..." she starts to cough again.

"But mom... this is not how to works!" I lean to her closer, because I want to hug her so much.

"Life is evil and only the strong ones stay alive. In order to be strong, you need a normal childhood..." she says and I couldn't hold it back anymore and I start to sob between her hugging and soft arms. "Shhh... my son, don't cry..." she caresses my back like before, when I was little and was afraid of the dark. "It will be all right, you'll see..." she tells me, wherewith she just try to comfort me. But I'm not a 10 years old kid... I know what her sickness means. "Look, Sweetie." -she lifts my head up and swipe away my tears. Her eyes are sparking and tries to hold herself. - "... Tomorrow we're going home and I'm gonna make your favorite dish. Is that good?" she asks and I just start to cry even more.

"No, I don't want that dish! I don't want this to be! I want you to be healthy!" I shout and she drops a single tear. "You have to stay here and get well!"

"You know, my son, that it can't be." sha says and swipes away hear tear, while I bite my lower lip. 

"Then I go to work! I'll get a job! Just please stay here and recover!" I'm pleading, but she just shakes her head and looks me in the eyes.

"You know that I don't have much time left." she caresses my cheek and I most like to run away. "I can't be helped anymore... and it's reason isn't just money."

"But... but..." I sniff. "If we would try... I'll get a job, and if needed, for night too! At least try it! Please! You can't leave me here!" I start to sob again and snuggle closer to her. I can't belive it that all this is reality and is really happening. I want to wake up, where everything's so like was. Where mom isn't dying, and could live our life in the way it was. "I promise, I wouldn't do anything wrong and wouldn't get into trouble! I will help you, just please get well!" I plead her, but she doesn't answer just tries to sooth my crying.

The next day mom came home from the hospital. I couldn't convince her to stay and try to figure something out... something that can solve all this problem.
Weeks passed and her stable was getting worse. Slowly she couldn't even stand up.


 

"S-sweetie..." she reaches her hand out, which I grab immediately. In that few weeks she lost even more weight. She is almost skin and bones... she couldn't eat properly. The absence of medicine and treatment provided her illness to overwhelm her. 

"Stay, mom..." I lay her back in the bed. "I'll take care of everything."

"N-no! You have to go to school."

"No!" I take my hand on . "I'm not going! I don't leave you alone!"

"Yes, you are!" she coughs, I sit her up and give her some water.

"No. I won't let you here! And I don't want to hear about this anymore!"

"..." she doesn't say anything, just lays back and tries to rest. I don't get up from her until she's sleeping. I let go of her hand, go to the kitchen and try to make something for her. Which is pretty hard... because I can't cook, and the gas and lights are turned off. I can't go to work, because I need to stay with her... I can't leave her alone since she can't stand up. That little money, which she has put aside was gone after the first week. At that time I still could buy her painkillers, which she really-really budgets. I sigh a big and lean to the counter then slide down along the wall. I pull up my legs, put my head on my knees and I start to sob quietly. The last time I cried was when I was 5-6 years old and Tora had scared me. After that I was alwayas scared at night. Then mom always came in, sang or told me a story and caresses my back. Her sweet, special scent always was around in the room and so I could fall asleep. I liked dreams, because there could happen everything... but now, I feel like that I'm in a nightmare, which is never want to end... but even if it ends there will be just pain left.


 

The next week mom died.
I couldn't help her... I couldn't do anything to feel herself better. I hated myself for this... I hated it that she was taken away from me. That I cant smell her sweet scent anymore, that I can't snuggle to her. That she doesn't gives me names, that she doesn't chides me, because I mingled in a bad company again. That I can't hear her voice as she cooks in the kitchen... I hated it that the most important thing in my life was gone and I wan't gonna get it back.

"Reita." I hear Kyo's voice and I look at his way. "I know it's not the best time... but..." he starts but I look away. I sign him that I don't want to hear him! "In your mother's last will stays that I need to bring you to your father.

"NO!" I shout and turn back. "I WON'T GO AWAY! I DON'T WANT TO! NO!" I yell and start to back. I press my mother'scushion close to me, on which it can be still smelled her sweet scent, and can't take it anymore. Again immeasurable sorrow flow over insidde of me and sob force itself up.

"Reita..." he comes closer and tries to comfort me, but it's still not the same. I push away his hands and turn away. He gives a sigh. "Listen to me..." he put his hand on my shoulder. "I don't know, what it feels to like. But I know your mother too for a long while. I loved her too... I'm sure that she wouldn't want you to be sad."

"BUT SHE ISN'T ANYMORE!" I yell at him. "SHE'S NOW GONE! SHE LEFT ME HERE!" my tears flow again and Kyo drags me closer to him. I cling to his coat and sob like this onwards.


 

"I... don't want to go in here..." I look over my new 'home'. Kyo doesn't says anything just puts his arm over my shoulder. 
I never knew my father. My mother didn't really told me about him... but what I knew was more than enough. She cheated on my mother while she was pregnant with me then sent her away, when he didn't loved her anymore... for me it was enough to think over to move in an orphanage or in that house.

 

 

 


First chapter done!!!! YEAHHHH! Tell me about your opinions!
Btw, in this fic Reita's gonna be 19 years old. Just made sure if anyone asks.

Feel free to comment and/or subscribe!! ^^