The Coconuts and Bananas

Crazy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 


"Why are we watching this?" Eunjung just had to ask as she saw a man struggling in the middle of an ocean and a storm. 

 

She didn't really get the point of watching movies for which her mother seemed to enjoy a lot. It was only then she realized that Jiyeon also had the same interest after having watched three different movies in a row on a Saturday night after their stressful college entry examinations. She did start to get a hang of it little by little even though she preferred to read a good book. But Jiyeon had insisted she tried other means of entertainment. At least she didn't regret it that much unlike Jiyeon's plans of skipping classes, skinny dipping and cliff diving which only meant that she somehow liked watching movies a little.

 

They had already watched a ridiculous (in her own opinion) movie about puppets, then they had watched a movie about teenage lovers who fell in love with the girl dying in the end because of a disease, and then they had watched a Japanese movie of a girl crawling out of the television that scared the daylights out of the person who wanted to watch it (Jiyeon). Her friend's screams had ringed throughout the whole bedroom, it was almost deafening but she was very much entertained at some point. She did panic but it wasn't because of the crawling long haired ghost. It was because her friend had started crying out of fear.

 

Finally, the crying stopped and they moved on to their 4th movie about a man supposedly stranded on an island and she hoped it was the last. Liking it was one thing, but the idea of losing sleep was taking a toll on her eyes.

 

"I told you, it got very good reviews. I haven't seen this and I wanted to watch with you." Jiyeon whispered as she grabbed a handful of chips for which she then 'graciously' shoved in .

 

"Can we just save this for tomorrow?" Eunjung complained. 

 

"No. I don't like watching movies during daytime. It's when I want to watch dramas, or go out, not watch movies." 

 

Eunjung could only sigh at Jiyeon's reply.

 

As the movie rolled on, Eunjung got so deep into it, her eyes didn't hurt anymore. She patiently watched the movie, slowly sympathizing at the idea of being stuck alone on an island. Maybe if the guys had someone like Jiyeon, he'd be entertained and he wouldn't be so lonely. But then again Eunjung thought, if Jiyeon was there then who'd be with her?

 

"He'll lose his sanity if he doesn't have anyone to talk to," Eunjung murmured to herself, earning a nod from the engrossed Jiyeon.

 

"Maybe he'll lose his mind and kill himself." 

 

"He has a wife he loves; he'll stay alive for her."

 

Jiyeon suddenly sat up straight and turned to her with an eyebrow raised. She even stopped eating chips and had set it aside, Eunjung noticed. 

 

"I never knew you were a romantic," Jiyeon said with a very playful tone.

 

Eunjung turned back to the television in her bedroom and ignored the comment since she figured it might be slightly true anyway but she didn't want to lie about it. Jiyeon never knew she also loved to read romance books (Shakespeare). 

 

Knowing she'd be ignored, Jiyeon went back to her chips and movie with a smirk, triumphant at the newly stored information about Ham Eunjung.

 

"Finally he has a friend!" Jiyeon squealed, startling Eunjung beside her.

 

"But it’s...a ball..." Eunjung murmured with confusion before sitting upright to fix her posture and stared back at the television. "But I guess it'll suffice considering the chances of him being insane."

 

"He can't be picky now. The ball's all he has."

 

Comments like this were given every now and then. Jiyeon even announced that she would be the official movie marathon partner from then on because of the fact she turned out to be a surprising moviegoer. But then again, if her mother watches TV for entertainment, then maybe it was in her genes too. 

 

"I wonder how it would feel like to be in his shoes. To be stranded on an island alone," Eunjung wistfully comments, her back still straight and her hands on her lap.

 

"He's not alone, he has the ball with him," Jiyeon argues ever so passionately.

 

"If I were stranded there, then you must be the ball considering how you think if it as a human being," Eunjung deadpans.

 

"Then you'd grow a beard," Jiyeon shrugs her shoulder, chuckling. "Seriously, it’s his companion; I can't take it simply as a useless ball. It plays a very important role. He would have lost his mind and then die! That's how important it is. That's why I'll be willing to be your ball if it would happen."

 

"Doesn't change the fact that I think it's crazy being stranded on a deserted island. It'll be one of the craziest things that'll happen to me."

 

The conversation stopped once again as a scene unfolds in the movie. Eunjung thought it was nothing; Jiyeon was probably just too engrossed in the movie again to comment further. 

 

She thought wrong.

 

She knew she thought wrong the moment she stepped foot on sand two days later, eyeing a beach with no people around with Jiyeon beside her as their boat sped away.

 

"Oh my God! Jiyeon! Please don't tell me you dragged us to a deserted island!" 

 

There was obvious panic in her voice as she followed a calm Jiyeon towards the forest of coconut trees nearby, reluctantly glancing at the boat that looked like pebble every now and then. She wasn't stupid as how this happened but she regretted voicing out her thoughts about a movie that had very small chances of even happening.

 

"Relax. I brought cans of food, water and a tent. And there's a storm coming tonight!" 

 

"What?"

 

"Isn't it exciting? It would feel like the movie! But without the starving and thirst."

 

Jiyeon pranced to the nearest coconut trees by the shore, dropping her extr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter