The Skip

Crazy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 


Eunjung always woke up a minute before her alarm went off which had always been set three hours before school even starts. She would then have brushed her teeth twice before washing her face with warm water. She would always keep her hair in a neat shower cap; to avoid her recently (more like, exactly eight hours before) washed hair from getting wet. Once she hit the shower, she would let the warm water run through body for exactly a hundred and twenty seconds. She would have then proceeded to doing a light scrub for two hundred and forty seconds before thoroughly rinsing her body with another two hundred and forty seconds.

 

That followed another routine carefully patting her body dry for three hundred seconds. She would then dress for the day, depending on the weather, carefully picking out clothes; nothing too flashy or stylish. Then she would proceed for breakfast. Whatever her mother served on the table, usually consisting of a very healthy meal carefully planned for a balanced diet, she would eat graciously with back straight and a poker face. Of course that meant she would chew her food ten times before swallowing. She would have then continued scooping food from the plate, to , chew ten times, swallow and then repeat the same process until nothing was left, not even a single grain of rice.

 

Her route to school was the same. She always took her bike, considering how close their home was to her high school and so she would arrive thirty minutes before class starts. Her seat position had been the same, ever since she was a child. That would be the second seat on the left on the third row. She always arrived first too, ensuring her the seat on the first day. 

 

After school, she would head straight home, do her homework diligently and finish it in time for dinner that was always ready at exactly six in the evening, with another planned out meal. Dishes always change, none would repeat until another year with the same menu. Her mother had planned it out. So she wouldn't really wonder why they would have something Russian or Indian for a meal. Still, three hundred and sixty five days meant there would have been a thousand and ninety-five meals her mother planned and learned to cook for the past years the moment she started eating regular food as a child. For a year, it was the same annual menu. So it still followed a routine.

 

 

Once dinner was over, she would go back to her room and study for an hour for the next day's lesson. And then she would proceed to taking a fifteen minute long shower. Once she's settled in her bed, she'd then read a book of her choice for a maximum of two hours before hitting the sack. That is, if she stops herself from carefully lining up all the books on her wall-sized bookshelf, dusting off almost non-existent dust or rearranging her garbage in her small garbage bin. Usually she'd clean for another hour despite of it being unnecessary because her mother cleans her room every day. So once everything was finished, she'd turn her alarm on and sleep for eight hours.

 

She always had a routine she made and followed. That has always been her life. She didn't complain because for her, she was content and happy. She was living her life the way she wanted; stuck to the rules, never broke a law, avoided committing sins, always followed proper behavior and decorum.

 

Truth be told, she wasn't interested in the latest gadget or fashion trend. She doesn't like having friends, hates social interactions, and loves to keep to herself in complete silence. 

 

Eunjung is the complete package of an introvert, minus the classic 'nerds-wear-glasses' stereotype. She was a beauty but didn't have enough personality, nor did she want it, to have a life with people around.

 

That is, until, one day, the seat beside hers was occupied by a very talkative girl named Park Jiyeon after her seatmate attempted suicide over a breakup and never came back to school.

 

 

"Why don't you talk to me? Is it hard to say hi?" Jiyeon questions in annoyance as she chose to ignore the latter. 

 

Eunjung sighs for the seventeenth time that day. It had been exactly 37 days since Jiyeon became her seatmate and class partner and it had been 37 days since they had a decent conversation. And it was driving Jiyeon insane.

 

Park Jiyeon is the normal girl you know in school, someone 'everyone doesn't notice much but you know she's there' type. Eunjung never took time to remember anyone's names but it was too difficult to ignore someone who seemed to be fond of you. It was true; Jiyeon grew too fond of her. 

 

Jiyeon had known Eunjung for years but never had the courage to face. Eunjung had the habit of not speaking to anyone who approached her, thus resulting to embarrassment on the person being ignored. But being the new seating partner, Jiyeon knew no embarrassment would happen with that excuse.

 

"Can't you at least acknowledge me for a little? Jeez, you're really getting on my nerves," Jiyeon complains.

 

"Hi Jiyeon," her monotone acknowledgement was completed with a very blank expression. "Is that alright?"

 

Jiyeon's frown completely disappeared, a wide grin plastered on her face. "That wasn't so hard, now, was it?"

 

"No."

 

"There you go. You should say 'Hi' to me more often. It gets lonely not having anyone to talk to," Jiyeon says as she turns to their teacher who entered the room.

 

Eunjung sighed once again, completely relieved that that was all it took to get Jiyeon to stop talking. She just didn't like interacting but somehow, after that, she wanted to speak more.

 

But being herself, she ignored the feeling that once it was lunch she packed up her things and left the room in a hurry.

 

There was just something about rooftops. She loved seeing everyone going about down below while knowing the sky was smiling down on her with birds and airplanes flying by. The feeling of being alone enticed her, lulled her, and gave her the peace she wanted. If given the choice she would have chosen to be home schooled, away from the chaos of teenage drama and peer pressure. The rooftop gave her that escape in her normal school life, away from everything. No one really went

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter