Step-Brother

Country Bumpkin

"But... but... What about... Why?"

Mother sighed shakily and grabbed my hand, seeking more comfort from me than consoling me. I pulled my hand away, not even making eye contact with her. She sighed again. Ever since my father had passed away, she was becoming more and more fragile. A small needle of guilt bore into my heart, but I was stubborn and didn't admit defeat.

"I'm sorry Mi Sun... But ever since..." She faltered and took a deep breath. "Ever since your father's passing, I've felt that it would be better to send you to Korea, just for a little while, so that we can at least do something in honour of your father."

I suddenly pushed my chair back with a loud screech and stalked away, stopping briefly at the doorway as if I wanted to say something, but quickly continued walking upstairs. I knew my reaction was selfish, and that my mother should be happy, but talking about Father was a sensitive topic, and the last place I wanted to be was Korea, where I had no connections to anyone but Father's family.

The door to my bedroom suddenly opened and Mother stepped into the room. "Honey, I know this is the wrong time, but I don't want to tell you at the airport. You'll be staying with your brother, Oh Sehun, while you're at Korea, since I know you won't want to be staying with your uncle and aunty."

Brother?! "What brother? I have a brother?!"

Mother smiled sadly. "Well, he's not exactly your blood brother. He's your step-brother. Me and your father adopted him before you were born and he moved out when you were around 8 years old. You don't remember?"

I shook my head.

"That's a pity. He was so nice to you, it was like he was your father."

 Oh Sehun... "I'll start packing now, mum."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The plane ride was long and somehow draining. When I got off the plane, I was exhausted and I pulled my luggage along behind me, searching for...

I don't even know what he looks like!

I looked around frantically until I spotted a head of hair all the colours of the rainbow. Intrigued, I peered closely at the man and noticed he was holding a sign. Mi Sun!!!

Is this Sehun?

I walked up to the man and tapped him lightly on the shoulder. "E-Excuse me, are you Sehun?" I touched my lips, shocked that I had self-consciously spoke in Korean.

He turned around and I saw his eyes sparkle. "Hello, dongsaeng."

Sehun

"E-Excuse me, are you Sehun?"

I turned around and a nostalgic feeling washed over me so strongly that I felt like I was floating. "Hello dongsaeng." I reached out and took her hand in mine and lead her towards the exit of the airport. It was soft as ever and she was still ever so cute.

I glanced over at her and gave her a smile and I saw her eyes widen and the corners of twitch.

As I drove home, I remembered her tiny little hand clutching my finger.

I had just got home from school and I was walking inside the house when I heard appa urgently telling eomma to push. I closed the front door quietly and went to see why he sounded to nervous. And then I saw her. I heard her high-pitched cries and I heard saw her tiny hands closing and opening.

"We know you're there Sehun. Come in and see your dongsaeng." I had heard eomma say, her voice slurred slightly.

I entered the room, and I saw her. I didn't realize it, but I was suddenly by the bedside, her hand clutching my index finger. Eomma had smiled, and kissed my forehead. "She likes you, Sehun."

I suddenly braked when I realized I had just passed my house and Mi Sun rammed into the back of the passenger seat. I turned around quickly. "Sorry, dongsaeng, I'm very sorry, are you okay?"

Mi Sun nodded, embarrassed, even though it was my fault. I quickly reversed and parked in the driveway of my home. "We're here!"

Mi Sun

You stared out of the window lost in thought, then glanced over at Sehun when suddenly the car braked and you slammed straight into the back of the passenger seat.

Sehun turned around quickly, with an apologetic expression on his face. "Sorry, dongsaeng, I'm very sorry, are you okay?"

I nodded. How embarrassing was that?!

Sehun's voice interrupted my thoughts. "We're here!"

I looked at his house in awe. It looked much bigger than the house me and eomma shared.

Did I just say 'eomma'?!

I timidly looked towards Sehun. "Um, oppa, what does dongsaeng mean?"

Oppa?!

Sehun looked just as shocked as I did when I called him oppa. Was it something offensive?! He suddenly laughed.

"'Dongsaeng' means little sibling, and judging by your panicked expression, 'oppa' does not mean anything offensive. It means 'older brother', or something you call a boy older than yourself. Don't you know how to speak Korean?"

I nodded. "I do know how to speak Korean, it's just I don't know the respective terms for my peers."

Sehun nodded. "It's okay, just make sure to call adults the proper terms or you'll come off as rude, okay?" You nodded quickly and smiled. "Okay, Mi Sun, would you like a room upstairs or downstairs? The upstairs room has a lock on it and a bathroom, but if you're late for school, it'll take a bit of time to climb down those stairs. The downstairs room doesn't have a lock or a bathroom, and anyway, the bathroom is only next door, and if you get hungry in the middle of the night, I'll let you have something to eat because I don't want you climbing down the stairs in the middle of the night. Also, if you take the downstairs room you can jump out the window if you're late as long as you remember to open it halfway and to lock it. That way, since the window frame is blocking both window panes, robbers and other bad guys won't be able to sneak in through your window. Also, there is a television in there, but if I hear that on in the middle of the night I will confiscate it from your room and you won't be able to watch it any more."

I stood there, looking up at Sehun with a taken-aback expression.

"So, which room do you want?"