4

Underground Rappers

Hayoung rushed to their house when she didn’t get any reply from Nahyun. It had been an hour. She took out the keys and opened the door quickly. She saw a girl sobbing on the desk. “Nahyun?” oh god please don’t let that girl in our house is a ghost. She prayed in her heart.

“Hayoung….” Nahyun called her with her wet face and messy hair. Tissues are everywhere on the table. Hayoung let a few relieve sighs. She ran to her and comforted her. “Hey, what’s wrong?” Hayoung asked in concern. She’s so worried when saw Nahyun like this. Never in her life she saw Nahyun like this.

“It just…” Nahyun grabbed another bunch of tissue and wiped her watery eyes. She was trying to calm herself down. “Did someone do something to you?” Hayoung used her very friendly and caring tone. “No..”

“Then?”

“It just… my phone. It’s broken. Look, it makes an annoying colour. Rainbows!” Nahyun cried out loud. Thinking how hard she worked to buy the latest phone. It takes almost a year and half to buy the phone.

“Yah! I thought someone you or something!” Hayoung smacked Nahyun’s head with her purse. She took her hands off from her and get annoyed. “But it was my first phone.” Nahyun is still crying over her phone. She stared blankly at the lifeless phone.

Hayoung looked at her housemate. She knows how hard Nahyun worked for that phone. She even had a two job in one time. “Stop crying. I’ll buy you a new phone. “ Hayoung patted Nahyun’s back. “For free?” Nahyun’s face went sparkling. She really hopes that her friend is that kind to give her a new phone.

“Are you stupid? Of course you’ll pay for it. I’m not rich okay,” Nahyun pouted. But your dad is. Can you stop being so petty to your cutest and prettiest friend? “But I have no money to buy a new phone.” She looked down and played with her own finger nails.

“You can work. Oh by the way, you said you need a job right?

“Yes, why?”

“Anything would be okay, right?”

“Um, yeah. As long it’s an illegal work,”

“Okay, so I was walking around and saw a bookstore that needs a woman employee. I ask an employee and he said that you can contact this number if you are interested,” Hayoung took out a small piece of paper from her pocket. Nahyun fixed her hair and sat straight. “A bookstore? Where is it?” She started to show some interest. She took the small paper from Hayoung’s hand and read it out loud.

“Wait… this place is near to Yoongi’s studio,” Nahyun snapped her thumb and index finger. She saw the bookstore when she was on the way to Yoongi’s studio. She didn’t notice there’s a board sign says they need an employee.

“That’s great! You should work there so you can meet Yoongi everyday!” Hayoung shakes Nahyun’s shoulders. If Nahyun take the offer she could meet Namjoon, the only man that she adores so much. Or maybe spend few hours reading novels or fictions at the bookstore. She also gets some benefits.

“I don’t know. I don’t feel like meeting Yoongi or Namjoon for this few days.” She played with her finger toes again. It’s like a habit to her. “Wait… why? What happened?” Hayoung’s smile disappeared.  All her hope just ruined with Nahyun’s words.

“I bumped into some guy named Yongguk or Bang or Jepp. I don’t know his name and Namjoon is siding him. I mean, I need someone for my side and Nam-“

“Wait, you said Jepp?” Hayoung cut her words when she heard the name. Nahyun nodded quickly. Why’s everyone so surprise when I said his name? Is he some popular person or what?

“I’m not sure about this but I heard people said there’s big a quarrel between Yoongi and him. They said Yongguk stole Yoongi’s songs from his computer. They were good friends and always together. Now they’re only strangers. This rumour spread faster than Nasceo’s rap and what I know is tomorrow night they’ll have a rap battle. Wanna go watch it?” Hayoung walked to the refrigerator to take some juice. Nahyun was trying to process the story in her head.

“Wait… who’s Nacseo?”

“His name is… Woo Jiho I think? He’s so friendly. I once talked to him while I had a drink alone. He even asked my phone number but too bad I lost his phone number in my contact.” She sipped a juice that she poured while explaining. Nahyun nodded slowly. I need to ask this to Yoongi.

“Oh back to the topic, how about the job?” Hayoung reminded her about the job that she offered to Nahyun. She looked again the number on the small paper. Working at bookstore is kinda boring but I need to pay for the rent of this house and to buy a new phone. Oh and my food too. Dang it, life’s so hard.

-----

She bowed for few times to the elder. “Thank you so much! I’ll work hard!” She bowed again when she reached at the door. The elder bowed his head too and gave a small smile to her. She went out and saw Hayoung was waiting for her while reading a fiction book.

“I’ll work here starting tomorrow,” Nahyun controlled her facial and tone. She doesn’t want to sound so excited in front of her. Act cool Nahyun, just act cool. “Oh my god! Really?! Congrats!” Hayoung putted down the book and hugged her friend. If she’s strong enough, she would carry her up.

“Hey hey, I need oxygen.” Nahyun pushed Hayoung’s shoulder a bit. She let her friend from her hug. She was too happy for Nahyun. They planned to buy Nahyun a new phone after she asked about the offer job. Glad that it’s not a part-time. They reached a phone store at started to pick a phone. She wants a very simple yet useful phone (everyone wants that kind of phone duhh).

“I’ll save my number first in your phone,” Hayoung took the phone from Nahyun’s grip. She just give Hayoung a slight glance before she saw someone that looks familiar to her. That guy walked pass by her with a friend. Wait...

“Hey! YOU! I KNOW YOU!!” She shouted out loud and pointed to the guy. Hayoung looked back and saw Nacseo or Jiho with Jepp or Yongguk. Nahyun still pointing at Yongguk. All the people that walk by are just stared and judged and stared at four of them. Yongguk looked at his right and saw Nahyun pointing at him. , she found me. He ran as soon she ran at him.

“How dare you run away from me again? Stop there you stupidass!! She took of her sneakers and threw them at him. Strike! Nice throw Yang Nahyun! Yongguk tripped down when something hard hit his head. Nahyun quickly grabbed him by his collar shirt. “What the man?! Is it necessary to throw your sneakers? God damn it, I might die!” Yongguk struggled so much when Nahyun started to pushed him back to a tree. Yes, they fought in the middle of crowded people at noon.

Nahyun looked for her sneakers at the middle of the route while Yongguk kept trying to look for a chance for him to run away again. Nahyun immediately gave a death stare when she felt a movement. Yongguk stayed silent when Nahyun stared at him. “Move or die,” Nahyun let the collar and grabbed her sandals in the middle of the route. Yongguk stood silently and watched Nahyun wearing her sandals. Nahyun is different from other girls he met before this. She’s so weird and strong.

“Okay, now let’s settle everything here, right now. Pay me or I’ll never let you enjoy this beautiful life again. Come on, Yong..”

“Guk. Yongguk or you can call me Jepp. We didn’t do a proper introduction,” Yongguk trying so hard to change the main topic. Nahyun nodded few times. Wait… this is not the reason I met him.

“Stop making me look stupid, Mr Yongguk. What you have to do now is just take out 70$ from your wallet and give it to me,” Nahyun held onto Yongguk’s arm. He looks so weak in front of this girl, the only girl. Her woman strength is beatable. He kept looking for Jiho to appear from nowhere. “Hey, are you going to pay or not?”

Yongguk was trying to avoid the eye contact with this girl. He kept thinking a way to stop this girl from asking him to pay her while Nahyun kept forcing him to pay her by shouting and tightening her grip. But Yongguk got a crazy idea to stop her from asking him to pay.

“Okay okay, let me go first. And can you please stop shouting? Damn” he put his right hand up means  a surrender from him. Nahyun smiled in satisfy. She let go of his arm. Yongguk looked around hoping for that none of his friends are around.

Once Nahyun let go of his arm, he cupped her face and locked her lips with his. He shut his eyes tight. Jesus, what the hell am I doing right now? Nahyun’s eyes widened so wide.

“Yang Nahyun!!”