Chapter 3

What have you done to me ?

I couldn’t explain why I felt this way, but to me he looked perfect.

He had short blond hair, and a small red nose. His eyes were so sharp you could stare at them all day and never get tired of it.

I felt like my face was red, but I was trying to hide it. He sat next to his mom and joined us at the table. The rest of the conversation just went by.

My mother and his were the only ones talking about the past. And occasionally I would look at him and he smiles at me making me blush. I just couldn’t stop it.

He probably noticed because he kept laughing, how embarrassing. “Tell me, which school do you go to Sandara?” Jiyong’s mother asked me. “Please just call me Dara, and I go to Seoul high school which is just a few blocks away from here, I go walking everyday.”I replied. “That’s fantastic! I enrolled Jiyong there too.”

I controlled myself from blushing and looked over to Jiyong.”If you want I can show you around our neighborhood and the way to school tomorrow?” I asked him. He smiled at me and nodded “that would be very nice of you.” I smiled back.

It was time to go home, my mom and I bet goodbye and left to go back to our house. I flew upstairs and crashed into my bed. What was wrong with me today? Why was I blushing and I felt something really weird in my stomach.

I have never had a boyfriend though. I wasn’t really into that stuff. So I just fell asleep on my bed. I woke up the next day to prepare for school. Brushed my teeth, washed my face and headed towards the closet.

Sometimes I wished we had school uniforms so I didn’t have to choose an outfit every day. So I put on a t-shirt and a crimson jacket, and headed downstairs. I never eat breakfast in the morning. I don’t know why but I always feel sick in the morning.

I put on my shoes and went out to go to school. At the same time, Jiyong went out of his house. I looked his way and he looked Back. He started waving at me so I approached him. “so let the tour begin!” I thought starting with a joke would be good and it was because he started to laugh.

We started walking in the direction of the school when I asked him “so when is your birthday?””I was born 18 august 1997, what about you?” He replied. “I’m born on May 4 so you better address me formally!” I joked. “I will miss Sandara-ssi” he said laughing. “Oke don’t go that far!” we both laughed. “So where did you come from Dara?””I am from Busan, what about you?” I asked. “I’m from Incheon” he replied.

 “Oh I have never been there” I said.

“You should it’s so much fun and beautiful up there!” Jiyong replied.

“I’ll be sure to visit it one day” I replied with a smile.

“You just moved into this city?” he asked me.

“Oh no, I have been living here for six months but im not completely familiar with the streets” I replied.

“Hmmm, okay” He replied and looked in front of him.

The rest of the walk was pretty awkward though. We said nothing. We both just walked up the path that leads to school. It felt weird. Every time I looked up to him, I felt a tickling sensation in my stomach. But I decided just to ignore it. Maybe I am just imagining it. So we finally reached the school doors.

“So this is Seoul high school.” I said.

“Wow it’s bigger than I expected.” He replied coolly.

“Well you are going to get lost, I mean I still get lost when I walk around here.” I replied.

“Well which direction is the principal’s office?” Jiyong said.

“You go down that way and go until the end of the hallway to your right.” I pointed.

“Ah okay thanks, Ill be on my way then, see you around and thanks again.” Jiyong replied.

Before I can even tell him welcome he walked away towards the principal’s office. Wow he is weird I thought to myself. I could have showed him around school why is he such in a hurry?

I just shrugged my shoulders and walked towards my class. It feels like 10 minutes getting to class, yea our school is that big. Its better than having a small suffocating school where you keep bumping into each other while you walk. And the advantage is you can skip and no one will notice you are gone.

 

I opened my class door, and suddenly my friend Bom jumped in front of my face.

 

“I’m very disappointed in you Dara, you get a boyfriend and you don’t tell me!” She screamed.

 

“What are you talking about Bom?”

 

“Who’s that guy you came to school with?” Bom asked looking at me with her big eyes.

 

“Are you stalking me now Bominator?” I replied trying to avoid the question.

 

“Don’t avoid my question Sandara” she looked at me fiercely.

 

“Oke, he’s my neighbor they just moved here he’s not my boyfriend and I don’t like him either!” I replied impatiently.

 

“It’s obvious you do stupid! Why would you say you don’t like him I didn’t ask if you did” Bom replied laughing at me.

 

I turned around putting my bag on my desk.

 

“Dara you can stop blushing now he’s gone now.” Bom said teasingly.

 

“Would you stop it now it’s not funny, fine I think he’s cute that’s all” I replied angrily

 

I sat down by my table, man she can get on my nerves sometimes but I don’t know why I still see her as my best friend.

 

Bom said down next to me smiling sheepishly. She kept staring at me. I looked at her trying to look angry but it totally failed. I mean seeing her face like that is totally priceless. I started chuckling.

 

“Fine what you want me to tell you” I know when she looks at me this way she wants details.

 

“What’s his name?” She asked still having that smirk on her face.

 

“You know ill only tell you if you get that smirk of your face its really annoying me!” Man I hate it when she does that.

 

“Oke I will now tell me!”

 

“Fine his name is Jiyong and he is the same age we are.” I replied hoping she won’t ask anything more.

 

“How did you meet huh I want details!” oh god she is not going to quit this. I bet its very funny to her but to me it’s just a burden.

 

“My mother and I went over to their place to welcome them to the neighbourhood.” I replied.

 

Before Bom could ask me any other questions, the teacher came in. Thank god this is the first time I’m happy that the lesson is about to start. Bom gave me a death stare.

 

So the lesson started. And I couldn’t stay awake. It was math and purposely our school puts it in the first lesson. I leaned over to Bom and asked her “Lets skip the next hour dude im going to die of boredom.”I whispered. “Totally” Bom said yawning. Suddenly someone knocked on the door. It was the principal.

 

The principal entered the room. And following behind him was Jiyong. I looked surprised. We’re going to be in the same class NOW! I started feeling feeling hot.

 

“Good Moring kids.” The principal said out loud.

 

“Good morning principal Park Hee-Song” The whole class said in harmony.

 

“There is going to be a new student in your class, Kwon Ji Yong” the principal said to the teacher.

 

“Im sure we have a place somewhere here, thank you Mr Hee-song”

 

“Then I’ll leave it up to you Mr. Kee-won, I’ll be on my way” The principal left the room.

 

“Sit anywhere there is a empty seat young man.” Mr. Kee-won said and returned to the board.

 

Jiyong walked slowely through the class and sat on an empty seat. He never looked at anyone he just looked straight ahead. He looked rather angry. I looked at Bom because I was sure she was looking at me, and she was with that crazy smirk on her face. She started laughing at me saying my face is all red. “quit it Bom!” I said in a loud whisper. Bom just turned around laughing. Now he is in my class too, great.

 

The bell finally rang after 20 minutes that felt like 20 years. Bom and I took out our bags and dashed out the class.

 

“Man I was seriously considering commiting suicide” Bom exclaimed. We sat down in the school field.

 

“So whats up with your crush why is he so mad.” Bom asked.

 

“He’s not my crush Bom” I said face palming myself. “And I dunno he was really nice when we walked together but when we reached school he turned cold all of a sudden.” I told Bom. Its really weird, maybe hes just nervous its his first day? I have no clue.

 

We skipped the second hour which was math again, which im pretty sure Mr Kee-won noticed. He knows we can’t stand his lesson, and he makes it super hard and complicated just to get on our nerves. The rest of the school day was just boring, and it was finally time to go home.

 

I walked towards the school doors with Bom, where I saw Jiyong standing. “I think hes waiting for you Dara” Bom said joking. “Are you jelous or what Bom? Stop making fun of me.” I exclaimed annoyed. “Then go talk to him! I’ll wait here.”

 

“Why would I go talk to him?” is she trying to set me up with him?

 

“Ask him if he wants to go to the café next door with us just do it!” and she pushed me forward.

 

Seriously why would I do that hes capable of taking care of himself but I was forced to by Bom.

 

I approached him. He was busy playing with his phone and he had headphones on.

 

“Hey Jiyong.” I said.

 

He took off his headphones and looked at me annoyed. “What do you want?”

 

I was surprised, what is wrong with him. “Well- uhh I was wondering if you umm want to come with us to the café nearby you know” I stuttered. I was too speechless and got nervous.

 

He sighed. “Look, I have no interest in becoming your friend. I was only being nice to you because my mother was around and she insisted me to be nice to you, so just leave me alone and don’t bother talking to me again.”