Chapter VIII: The Morning After

Behind-The Scene Heroes

It’s cold. It’s really, really cold. I open my eyes, and I see Minseok, sitting beside my bed, his frozen fingers on my head. He unfreezes his fingers when I opened my eyes.

                 

“Good morning, Een,” he greets me, smiling.

 

“You really do look like a squirrel when you smile,” I comment groggily, weakly grinning at him.

 

“Yah! I do not!” he complains, his grin replaced by a look of disbelief.

 

“I’m kidding, Minseok.” I roll my eyes at him.

 

“Sheesh. Even early in the morning, you roll your eyes.” He rolls his eyes exaggeratedly and I stick my tongue out at him.

 

“What time is it?” I ask him. He’s stifling a giggle, I can tell. I narrow my eyes at him.

 

“Pfft.” His giggle threatens to come out.

 

I shake my head. It’s too early for bickering. I stretch my arms, but I can’t extend my right arm. I stop moving in the middle of stretching, my eyes widening. A gust of wind breezes next to me, my eyes snapping to Xiumin.

 

Suho sits up, rubbing his eyes. He slept on the floor with Kai and Kris. “Good mor—” He freezes, seeing me in my catatonic situation. “Oh.”

 

Xiumin cannot contain his laughter anymore. He’s having a fit of giggles, covering his mouth to muffle the noise.

 

Oh Sehun’s arm is draped over me. I mentally face palm myself. My body temperature drops, probably going to absolute zero.

 

“Sheesh, you’ll freeze him to death,” Xiumin tells me, noticing the sudden change of body temperature. “I didn’t know you could do that. Chanyeol can’t.”

 

“I’m cooler than Chanyeol,” I respond, rolling my eyes.

 

“Well, you are right now.” Suho scratches his head, yawning.

 

Sehun stirs, shivering. His eyes flutter, taking in the morning light. He shivers again, holding me tighter, not knowing that I’m the source of the wintriness.

 

“Uh.. Sehun..” I mutter, suddenly embarrassed.

 

“Hmm?” he replies, though his eyes are still closed.

 

“Um,” I say, speechless.

 

“You’re smothering her, Sehun,” Kris says too loudly. He sits up, scratching his head. Maybe we woke him up. That’s why he’s cranky.

 

Sehun’s eyes snaps open, looking at me. He immediately lets go, and sits up. “Sorry, sorry.”

 

I don’t know if I’m relieved or disappointed. I sigh, finally able to breathe properly.

 

“Did I suffocate you?” he asks me, his eyes apologetic.

 

“Nope. Not really. It’s more of your, uh, presence,” I tell him. “You know.. Bias and stuff,” I mutter quietly, my voice trailing away.

 

“Oh,” Sehun says, blushing.

 

Suho and Kris laugh, Xiumin guffawing and clapping his hands. I glare at them.

 

“Yah!” they exclaim. Xiumin holds his hands up in surrender. Frost forms on his hands, cooling them.

 

“Stop using your powers for violence,” Kris scolds me, shaking his hands to cool them off.

 

“Stop provoking me!” I shout.

 

“Alright, alright!” Suho intervenes, raising his voice. “CAN WE PLEASE STOP SCREAMING?”

 

“You guys started it!” I glower at them, my eyes shooting daggers.

 

“I’M SORRY! I’M SORRY!” Kris screams, standing up. He holds on to Xiumin to chill his hands.

 

“WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?” Chanyeol yells, barging into my room with Kyungsoo and Baekhyun. They all have bedheads. I think I have died and went to heaven.

 

“I DUNNO BUT IT’S REALLY FUN!” Baekhyun hollers back.

 

“SHUT UP!” Kai shouts, covering his head with the pillow.

 

I cover my ears with my hands. The screams reminds me too much of the ward, senseless cries and irrational shouting. My breathing shallows. My heart beats faster, making heat flow double time through my veins. I can smell something burning and I am 100% sure that it isn’t Chanyeol.

 

“YAH! STOP PROVOKING HER!” Kris shrieks, his voice high-pitched.

 

Kyungsoo punches the floor beneath him, making the floor shake. The members lose their balance but before I can see them fall, I feel a tugging sensation on the pit of my stomach and the world turns black.

 

∞∞∞◊∞∞∞◊∞∞∞

 

The darkness doesn’t last long but it felt like eternal night. The tugging sensation on my stomach disappears and I’m standing inside a bedroom with beige walls and a bunk bed. There are various photos taped on the walls. I take a step closer to the pictures and instantly regret it.

 

The whole world spins around me and I know that I’m going to fall. The tugging sensation is back and suddenly, I am lying on the top bunk.

 

“You okay?” Kai asks me, sitting on the foot of the bed.

 

“I think I’m going to throw up,” I confess, feeling really queasy.

 

“It’s always like that on the first time you teleport,” he says to me. “Baekhyun puked right after we teleported.”

 

“Vomit stories don’t really help in nauseous situations,” I tell him, covering my mouth with my hand.

 

“Well, don’t vomit here. This is Kyungsoo’s bed and trust me, he’ll go berserk if you barf all over it,” Kai warns me with a half-smile.

 

“How can you even stand doing that every day?” I groan. My stomach feels awful. Ugh. I can’t even enjoy being at Kyungsoo’s bed! Dammit.

 

“You’ll get used to it. The guys already have,” he assures me. “Come on.” He jumps down. “We better get you to the bathroom and I am pretty sure that you don’t want me to teleport you there.”

 

I sit up and the world spins again. I close my eyes briefly and take a deep breath. I use the mini-ladder at the side of the bunk bed to get down. I hold on to Kai’s arm to steady myself. He flexes his biceps.

 

“Jongin, please.” I roll my eyes at him.

 

“What?” he chuckles, feigning innocence.

 

He assists me to the bathroom. I sit on the bathroom tiles, next to the toilet.

 

“Get out, Jongin,” I tell him. “Out.” I point at the open door.

 

“Oh, no, woman,” he refuses. “I cannot leave you here.”

 

I shoot him a look. “I won’t burn the bathroom down.”

 

His face falls. “That’s not what I meant. This is Kyungsoo’s bathroom, too. Well, this is our bathroom but he cleans it like, all the time. He’ll turn the two of us into rubble if you get puke all over it,” he explains, giving me a tight smile.

 

“Okay, fine,” I relent. “I’m not going to vomit anyway.” I bury my fingers in my hair. “I’m in EXO’s dorm but I’m sick. Dammit.”

 

“Sorry.” Kai sits next to me, our knees touching. “I had to get you out of there. You had this look in your face.”

 

“Well, screaming guys is not really a good start for a day, now is it?” I retort, rolling my eyes.

 

Kai slides his hand over my entire face. “You roll your eyes too much.”

 

I sigh in response.

 

“And you sigh too much,” Kai comments, smiling at me.

 

My eyes light up as I remember something. “Kyungsoo said that, too.” My KaiSoo! I grin at Jongin.

 

He gives me a look. “You’re thinking of KaiSoo, aren’t you?” he asks me, deadpan.

 

I shrug, unable to wipe off the grin on my face. Kai shifts, getting his vibrating phone from the pocket of his sweatpants.

 

“Jongin here,” he answers his phone. “Wait, wait.” He presses the loudspeaker button on his phone.

 

“WHERE ARE YOU?” Suho screams through the phone. There is a shuffling noise on the other side.

 

“Are you with Een?” Kyungsoo asks. Blood rushes to my face, my eyes widening.

 

Kai chuckles at me, shaking his head. “She’s here alright.” I poke Kai on the ribs, heating my index finger.

 

“Yah!” he exclaims. “I didn’t say anything!” There was more shuffling on the other side of the phone.

 

“Hot or cold, Kai?” Chanyeol asks, excitement and banter evident in his voice.

 

“Hot,” Jongin grumbles, rubbing the spot where I touched him. The phone is passed around again, or taken forcefully from Yeol.

 

“Are you okay, Een?” Sehun asks after the shuffling noise.

 

Kai and I look at each other, our eyes wide. He grins at me as I stare at the phone, catatonic. He touches my forehead with the back of his hand and he laughs.

 

“Cold, Yeol! Very cold,” Kai yells at the phone.

 

“Hey, can you get some stuff for me?” Luhan asks after wrestling the phone away from Sehun. “I forgot to bring my blue sungla—”

 

“Yah, yah!” Yeol interrupts Luhan. “We were talking about Robin’s coldness,” he scolds Lulu.

 

“Her power is fire, Chanyeol.” I can practically hear Luhan’s eyes roll through the phone.

 

“Eye rolling is Robin’s thing. It doesn’t suit you,” Chanyeol counters.

 

“Chanyeol, I’m going to burn your face into a crisp and feed it to Baek,” I threaten Chanyeol.

 

“Yah, yah!” Kai shouts, shifting sideways to remove his arm from my grip. “Yeol is the one teasing you. Not me.”

 

“You’re a culprit, too. Shut up,” I snap, glaring at him.

 

“My sunglasses!” Luhan shouts over the phone, reminding us of his request.

 

“Okay, okay!” I groan, rolling my eyes. They should be thankful that I love them.

 

“You’re the best, Een!” Luhan makes a kissing sound through the phone and I blush.

 

“Very, very hot, Yeol.” Kai calls out to Chanyeol, chuckling.

 

“Don’t mind them, Een. We’ll go there later, anyways,” Suho informs me once he got hold of his phone.

 

“We’ll wait for you here,” Kai tells them and the other members groan in protest.

 

“Can’t you just teleport us now?” Baekhyun whines.

 

I cringe, remembering the nauseous gut-tugging of teleportation. My stomach twists and I cover my mouth with my hand.

 

“O-kay. Robin’s not feeling well. I’ll see you later,” Kai tells the other members.

 

“Wait!” Sehun calls out just before Jongin ends the call.

 

I sigh, relieved that I the controversial phone call is over. This is too much drama for a simple Friday morning.

 

“It’s usually not this rowdy at the morning,” Kai tells me. He clasps my knee, standing up.  “We usually sleep in if there’s nothing on our schedule.”

 

“But there’s always something on your schedule,” I respond. “How will you go to your classes?”

 

“Our manager hasn’t talked to us about that yet,” Kai exhales. “I’m really looking forward to going back to school.”

 

“What? Aren’t you already living the dream?” I ask.

 

“Yes, of course. Of course, this is the dream. But will it last forever?” he asks me in return, giving me a half-smile.

 

“Trust me. The fandom won’t leave you even if you can’t dance anymore because of arthritis or something,” I reply, grinning. “I think Yeol will be your fanboy forever. If it makes you feel any better, I’ll be an EXO fangirl for the rest of my life. Not even kidding.”

 

“But you’re our friend. Of course, you’ll support us,” he counters.

 

“May I remind you that I’m already a fangirl before I moved in with you faggots,” I say, rolling my eyes.

 

“You can’t even stand one morning with us!” he laughs.

 

I give him a look. “Well, pardon me if I’m not used to half a dozen guys screaming their butts off at 7am in the morning.”

 

“Touché.” Kai raises an eyebrow at me. “Come on, fire girl.” He offers his hand and I take it, standing up.

 

He steps out of the bathroom. “I’m really hungry. Are you good with disguises?”

 

∞∞∞◊∞∞∞◊∞∞∞

 

I don’t know how the hell it’s possible, but Kai and I found some of EXO’s clothes that could fit me. I’m wearing someone’s denim skinny jeans and Luhan’s long-sleeved, floral shirt.

 

“You should audition for SM,” Kai tells me as I emerge from the bathroom.

 

“I’m not a dancing machine like you, Jongin,” I reply, gathering my hair together. “Do you have a rubber band or something?”

 

Kai opens Kyungsoo’s closet. Polaroid photos of Kyungsoo with the boys are taped on the closet doors. Kai searches carefully, cautious not to mess up D.O.’s closet. He grabs something and stands up, closing Kyungsoo’s closet. He’s holding a box of rubber bands.

 

“Yeah. D.O. confiscated it from Baek and Sehun. They were shooting everyone with these,” he explains when my eyebrows shot up.

 

I grab one and Kai returns the box carefully inside D.O.’s closet. Sheesh. I didn’t know that Kyungsoo is this obsessive-compulsive. I tie my hair into a tight bun. I grab the snapback that Kai got for me.

 

I sigh. I can’t believe I’m going to wear an EXO snapback. I stare at the cap, my hands shaking.

 

“Een?” Kai calls me. I look up. “You look like you want to scream.”

 

I smile, shaking my head. “Shut up.”

 

“You can scream if you want. That’s Chanyeol’s.” He points to the black snapback that I’m holding. It says WOLF in white letters.

 

“Says the guy who reported my temperature change to everyone,” I reply, rolling my eyes. I put on the cap, tucking my bun carefully.

 

“Have you tried singing?” he asks me as he assesses my disguise. He hands me a pair of RayBan sunglasses. “Wear these later.”

 

“Have you heard Kyungsoo sing?” I groan. “If SM looks for people with a talent like that, they’d reject me before I can even open my mouth.”

 

“Then, what are you good at?” he asks, walking towards his bed.

 

“Fangirling,” I reply without a second thought.

 

Jongin grins at me, shaking his head. “I don’t think so. You haven’t even taken one selca with any of us. And you’ve been bullying us!”

 

You guys are the ones who are bullying me. Besides, I can’t disclose any information about you guys. McLaren told me,” I explain, shrugging my shoulders.

 

While it’s true that Dr. McLaren told me that EXO’s location is highly confidential, he didn’t restrict me from posting anything about them. I can actually tweet that I’m eating with Kim Jongin and no one would believe me. But somewhere inside me, I really like being with EXO. Not in a 100% fangirl way. I like being housemates with them even if it’s just been two days.

 

There are things that you like so much that you broadcast it to the whole world, and meeting people who likes these things, too, is a blast. More so if you can make people join the fandom.

 

But with EXO, it’s different. Well, different now. It’s as if sharing my experiences with them would be a sin, like cheating or something. It’s not that I want to keep them all to myself. I.. I don’t understand, too. I groan.

“What? Is it that ugly?” Kai asks me. I turn around, looking at him.

 

What the actual. I burst into laughter. “What the hell are you wearing?” I ask, unable to stifle my laughter.

 

Kai is wearing normal clothes. Something that he would wear. But damn. He’s wearing a long, blonde wig, which is tied up in a ponytail.

 

“Who are you and what did you do to my dancing machine?” I laugh some more.

 

Your dancing machine?” he asks me, raising his eyebrow.

 

I roll my eyes. “Yes, Jongin. Your my dancing machine. You’re everyone’s dancing machine, for heaven’s sake.”

 

He grins. “Nice to see the real you bit by bit, Robin Young.” He takes the sunglasses from me and places them over my eyes. “But we have to disguise ourselves for now. Ready for chicken?”