Chapter IV: Fighting Fire With Fire

Behind-The Scene Heroes

My eyes flutter, the rays of the morning sun passing through the blue snowflake curtains and into my eyelids. I reluctantly open my eyes and stare at my HunHan poster. I exhale, trying to remember bits and pieces of last night’s dream, where I was living with EXO. I turn to get my phone from the bedside table. Under my phone is a note:

 

Good morning, Een!

We went to a photo shoot. See you later!

xoxo, EXO

 

I groan. It’s not a dream after all. Yah! They were in my room again! Suho already reprimanded them. Tsk. These guys. I roll my eyes as I sit up. I look at my posters taped all over the walls and on my closet. I spot a yellow note taped next to my TaoHun poster. ‘Yehet!’ it says.

 

Ecstasy and embarrassment blooms inside of me. I could imagine Kris’ smirk, making me want to burn it off his face. Yah! What am I thinking?! I love EXO! I love them all so, so much, and I promised myself before that I would kill anyone who would hurt them. Petty, yes. But here I am, desiring to burn Kris’ face to a crisp.

 

I stand up, deciding to take down all of my posters and keep them where no member can find them. But before I can even peel the piano key washi tape off, I drop my hands to my sides. I pout, disappointed at myself for being so weak just because of boys. My disappointment quickly disappears as I tell myself that this decision is justified. Who can ever resist EXO?

 

I rummage the messenger bag that Chen handed me last night. It must be here somewhere.. Yes! I take out my iPod with its earphones. I grin like an idiot as I plug in my green earphones. History plays and I start to unpack my things.

 

I place my photo cards on my bedside table. I wonder why I am not ecstatic to be living with EXO. This is every fangirl’s dream, right? I even remember some of those ‘imagines’ blog that gives you short stories, sometimes even just a sentence, about ‘you’ and one (or all) of the EXO members. I sigh. But those were just ‘imagines’ before. They weren’t supposed to come true!

 

I chuckle. Here I am, setting aside my EXO photo cards neatly next to my phone with an EXO case, while listening to EXO’s History on my iPod Touch that is basically an iPod EXO, and yet I despise the fact that I am living with them. I guess something is really wrong with my brain.

 

I arrange my clothes on the closet neatly, hanging some of them on the rack. Though I don’t know why I bother. I’m sort of a slob when it comes to my closet. Once I have finished unpacking all of my things, I decide to cook breakfast. I tie my hair into a bun and go to the kitchen.

 

Unwashed dishes are stacked haphazardly on the kitchen sink. Apparently, the boys had pancakes for breakfast. A bowl with leftover batter is on the sink, along with plates streaked with chocolate syrup and maple syrup. A note is taped on the wall of the kitchen sink. Jeez. These guys must have a lot of paper.

 

Don’t wash this, Een! - Suho

 

Don’t even dare to try washing one dish! - Suho

 

These are our dirty plates~ We were running late~ - Xiumin

 

Eat well~ You didn’t eat your noodles so Chanyeol ate it. – D.O.

 

I grin, taking the notes one by one, putting them in my pyjamas’ pocket. I spot last night’s empty bowl of noodles soup amongst the myriad of dirty dishes. They should’ve woken up earlier or something. One does not simply wash the dirty dishes of twelve people in a few minutes.

 

I can’t eat knowing that there are unwashed plates on the sink. I crank up the volume of my iPod, listening to XOXO. One by one, I wash the plates and utensils thoroughly. I wonder how I could keep up with twelve guys. After three more EXO songs, the frying pan, dishes, bowls, glasses, and utensils are squeaky clean.

 

I open the refrigerator, scavenging for something to eat for my first breakfast here. Nothing catches my attention, so I open the freezer, hoping that there’s something I’d want to eat. My inner kid jumps up and down at the sight of the tub of vanilla ice cream. I also grab the chocolate syrup from the fridge and I skip happily back to my bedroom.

 

I sit on the bed, opening my tub of ice cream. Half of it is gone, obviously eaten by the boys. I open my laptop and log in to my Twitter account. After three millennia, I can finally spaz again!

 

Tweet after tweet on my timeline is about EXO. Mostly, they are photos. The guys are apparently in Korea, arriving in the airport. I wonder briefly if they use Jongin’s teleportation to go to faraway places. After tweeting millions and millions of photos about my EXO, I log out. I have finished the ice cream and even though it’s high noon, I feel sleepy. I lie down, wondering why I can spaz about my housemates but not interact with them normally, before I close my eyes.

 

∞∞∞◊∞∞∞◊∞∞∞

 

“Een! Een!”

 

I jolt awake from a dreamless sleep. I sit up and someone switches the light on. Jeez. It’s night-time already? How long have I been asleep? I yawn, rubbing my eyes.

 

“What do you want?” I groan, collapsing back to my pillow. Class starts in three days and I am determined to hibernate before it begins.

 

“We’re going to watch EXO Showtime. It’s the first episode!” Chanyeol tells me, standing by the door.

 

I roll my eyes even if he cannot see me. I was waiting for the airing of EXO Showtime, deciding to download it once it’s posted in YouTube. I want to watch it but my body protests, wanting to return to hibernation.

 

“Come on!” Chanyeol walks across the room. He pokes me, coaxing me to get up.

 

I increase my body temperature, a warning for him to buzz off. He just snickers, unaffected by my heat.

 

“What? You want me to tell you that you’re hot?” he teases me, still poking my arm.

 

I sit up. “I’ll just watch it later, Yeol.” I yawn again.

 

“I thought you are our fan,” he gasps with mock hurt. “You’re supposed to support us. EXO, let’s love!” he tells me, reciting their fighting slogan.

 

I sit up, facing him and making a face. “You’re not gonna stop poking me, are you?”

 

“Those are my orders. Kyungsoo said you should eat.” He grins. His ears are more prominent right now since he’s not wearing a cap.

 

I sigh, unable to resist Park Chanyeol. “Okay, fine. Let’s go.” I get up from my bed reluctantly. “What time is it?”

 

“9pm?” Chanyeol answers, leading me out of my room. “You should’ve gone with us, Een. Yah! It was so fun.”

 

“What did you do?” I ask him even though I already know the answer. The accounts that I’m following on Twitter are updated. Always.

 

“We did a photo shoot and there was so many chocolate. I think I died and went to heaven. It was really, really fun.” My sources weren’t wrong. From what I’ve read, it was announced last week in a fansite that EXO will be doing a photo shoot for the advertisement of a chocolate bar.

 

“Yo,” Chen greets me, his hand raised to give me a high five. I act normally, but my heart leapt to the moon when his hand met mine. Chen sits down beside Suho on the couch.

 

“Yah, Robin.” I look at Chanyeol who just rolled his eyes at me.

 

“What?” I frown at him.

 

“I know your power is fire like mine, but you don’t see me red as a tomato every time, do you?” he scolds me. “You really need to know how to control your powers. Come here.” He takes my hand, directing me into the dining table. He makes me sit down on the table and walks to the kitchen.

 

“Say what now?” I hear Zitao ask from the kitchen. “Okay, okay.”

 

I wonder what they’re up to. I look at the table in front of me. Most of the food is gone. I think the others have already eaten. I turn around and notice Lay sleeping, his head resting on Suho’s lap. The scene makes me smile. Maybe I should ask Nurse Emma for a camera. Nurse Em! I wonder what she’s doing right now. Yah! I make a face as I remember that exhibition she did with her water powers.

 

“Alright, alright!” Chanyeol says in his deep DJ voice, entering the dining room. I think I melted a bit for a while there. “Welcome to EXO’s Foodtime!”

 

Other members from the kitchen enter the dining room as well. D.O., Tao, Sehun, Xiumin, and Luhan are each bringing a plate of food in their hands.

 

“Yehet!” Sehun says, raising the bowl of ice cream, which he’s holding, over his head. Yah! This maknae is really, really adorable!

 

“What the hell is this, guys?” I raise my eyebrow, though I cannot keep my y charade. My mouth stretches into a grin.

 

“Well, you have to eat and Chanyeol said that you need some training,” Kyungsoo answers. He is holding a small bowl of macaroni salad.

 

“Like his training before,” Kai snickers. Chanyeol needed training?

 

“Training?” I ask, trying to stifle my smirk.

 

“Yah! That’s enough!” Chanyeol interrupts us, covering Kai’s mouth before Kai can even answer.

 

Tao laughs. He’s enjoying this. “Dara~ Dara~” he singsongs, teasing Chanyeol.

 

“Really?!” I ask. Chanyeol’s crush on Dara is old news for KPop fans but I didn’t know he needed to control his powers when she’s around.

 

“You guys are idiots,” Chanyeol grumbles, frowning.

 

“Aww. Don’t worry, Yeol.” I put my arm around his shoulder. “It’s not like she still doesn’t know.” I laugh, enjoying because the tables have suddenly turned.

 

“Here.” D.O. feeds me a spoonful of macaroni salad. “Chanyeol was always blushing when Dara is around.” He looks at me in the eyes and flashes me a boy-next-door smile. “Just like you in three, two, one.”

 

I blush, realizing that I am looking eye-to-eye at Do Kyungsoo. He just fed me for heaven’s sake! Yah! If this is training, then, no thanks. But I know that deep inside me, there’s a small part of me saying, ‘Yes! Yes, thanks! Thank you so much! Woooo! More EXO!’

 

I must not be weak. I must not be weak. I remind myself again and again, even though I know that it’s futile. Tao is laughing with Chanyeol, who is mimicking what I assume is my reaction to Kyungsoo.

 

His eyes are as big as his sockets would allow. “It’s even bigger than D.O.’s eyes,” he chortles, enjoying my embarrassment.

 

“Do the blush again,” Tao tells him, his hand over his stomach. I wanna smack him right in the head.

 

“You be Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol says to Tao. Tao’s eyes widen, puckering his lips a bit to impersonate Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo regards them coolly, his eyes impassive.

 

“Here.” Tao feeds Chanyeol the macaroni salad that he took from Kyungsoo. Chanyeol laughs exaggeratedly. I do not laugh like that! He, then, proceeds to eating the salad. He stops laughing, his eyes widening again. His face reddens, a blush creeping up from his neck to his face. Tao bursts in laughter.

 

I feel the red-hot blood creeping up to my face but I will it to subside. I breathe heavily, thinking of Tao’s pre-debut photos. I laugh internally, the corners of my mouth quirking up. D.O. smiles at me, his eyebrows raised curiously.

 

I exhale, standing up from my seat. I walk towards the laughing duo, who still cannot get over the events that happened. I poke Chanyeol, holding his face when he turned to me. I give him a megawatt smile, copying the female KPop idols. Blood rushes to his face.

 

“Yeol,” I whisper.

 

“Y-y-yes?” he stammers.

 

“Call. Lay,” I drawl out the words from my mouth slowly, as if Chanyeol is a child who doesn’t understand anything. Now that I’ve thought about it, maybe he is. “Your face is burnt. Never let your guard down. You need training.”

 

Huang Zi Tao laughs some more, his laughter echoing in the dining room.

 

“Uh.. Tao,” Sehun warns him but he doesn’t stop.

 

I face him, flashing him the same megawatt smile that I gave Chanyeol.

 

“I don’t blush, Robin,” he tells me haughtily.

 

“Of course, you don’t. How would people know? You’re too dark.” I smirk.

 

“You’re confusing me with Kai over there.” He gestures towards Kai who is watching TV with the other members.

 

“Pre-de-but,” I whisper menacingly. I wink at him and walk towards the living room, leaving Tao and Chanyeol speechless, the other members guffawing.