Chapter XII: Saranghaja!

Behind-The Scene Heroes

I was styled in another room, but it is just next to the styling room of EXO. Miss Red Lipstick was uneasy when I gave her my sweet smiles. She was about to curl my hair, holding the curling iron to test its heat.

 

“You’re so lucky. A fan with her ultimate idols,” she says, smiling with her harlot red lips.

 

“They’re my friends,” I correct her, smiling widely at her.

 

“I heard you screaming, girlie. I definitely think that you’re a fan.” She tests the heat of the curling iron. I smile even wider to the point that it looks forced. I increase the heat on the curling iron.

 

“Ow!” she shouts, dropping the curling iron on the floor.

 

I pick up the curling iron, touching the heated portion. Miss Red Lipstick stares at me with wide eyes. “Sheesh. You can’t stand a little heat? How can you be a stylist to my friends?”

 

Kris suddenly appears on the doorway. “I think you should get some ice on that burn.” He smiles pleasantly at her. Too pleasant.

 

“Yes, Mr. Wu.” She scurries out of the room, flashing one last pained smile at Kris.

 

I roll my eyes. Even if her index finger is burnt, she still manages to flirt with Kris. I exhale loudly as soon as Miss Red Lipstick leaves the room.

 

“What? Was that a third degree burn?” Kris asks me, raising his eyebrow.

 

“Don’t be silly. I think it’s a sixth,” I say, grinning mischievously at him. My evil façade eventually fades as I remember the stylist’s words. I sigh, sitting back on the cushioned chair.

 

“What did she do?” Kris asks, squatting next to me. He holds my hand and I flick his forehead with my fingers.

 

I sigh again.

 

“You really do sigh a lot, and not even happy sighs,” he tells me, smiling weakly.

 

“You talked to Kyungsoo, huh?” I shake my head. I guess these guys really tell each other everything. I sigh again, and he chuckles. “Will I always be fan, Kris?”

 

He thinks for a while, his eyebrows furrowing. “That’s your choice, Een. We can’t force you to be our fan.” He shrugs.

 

“No. I mean, will I always be a fan to you guys?” I look at him in the eyes, nervousness blossoming inside of me. Do I really want to know the answer?

 

“You’re the new maknae of the group, Een.” He stands up, taking me in his arms. “You’re our very first sister. The lost girl among the lost boys. You’re more than a fan to us now. Especially after the breakfast this morning.” He gives me a thumbs-up, making me smile.

 

“You’re our friend now. A friend who burns us every once and a while. Or always. But that’s what friends do, right?” He grins as I roll my eyes at him. “And you should see Sehun and Tao,” Kris adds, laughing at the two of them.

 

“Tao?” I ask. I know why he mentioned Sehun. I’m an ultimate Sehun stan. But Tao?

 

He chuckles, shaking his head in amusement. “You better get ready, maknae.” He stands up. “I’ll call another stylist. Or should I call that woman back?”

 

I make a face, scrunching up my nose. “No, thanks. I think I can manage here.” I face the mirror in front of me, wondering what I should do to myself.

 

“Hey, Een,” Kris calls me before going out of the room.

 

“Yes?” I turn to face him.

 

“Is my hair okay?” he asks innocently, his lips pursed as he awaits my verdict.

 

“Very,” I tell him, giving him a thumbs-up.

 

“Thanks, Robin-ah,” he says to me, going out of the room.

 

I exhale loudly once Wu Yi Fan left. I stare at myself in the mirror. A towel is still wrapped around my hair, and I remove it. My newly beached hair tumbles down past my shoulders. It looks darker since it’s still wet. I grab the hair dryer and the hairbrush, starting to dry my hair.

 

After a few minutes, my hair is dry. From a straight waterfall of ebony, my hair is now blonde. What excites me about my new hair is its tips. The tips of my hair is a cross between green and blue. It’s not really green, but it’s not really blue either.

 

I look at the stack of cosmetics on the table in front of me. I sigh. Thank goodness for YouTube tutorials and dads who allow their daughters to practice putting in makeup.

 

I tie my hair with a clear hair tie. I place pieces of Velcro on my hairline to keep loose tendrils in place. I take the foundation from the table and start to do my work.

 

After a miracle, I finally finished making myself look decent enough for the event. The event we’re gonna go to is the launching of a tycoon’s business here in Korea—a pastry tycoon. Everything should be cutesy and sweet, like a tea party.

 

I stand up from the blue cushioned seat. I must find something cute and gross to wear. At least fifty dresses are lined up for me to pick from. Everything is pastel in colour, not a monochromatic shade in sight.

 

I groan, then start hunting for the least horrifying dress I can find. After going through everything, I find out that all of them are equally girly and gross. I shrug. I might as well wear the one I like most.

 

Miss Red Lipstick crosses my mind. I wonder how many women will be that way towards EXO, and I wonder if I can ever compete with them. I shake my head. Why should I even compete with those girls?

 

I breathe heavily, calming my nerves down. I look through the dresses again with new resolve, and I finally find one that I like. I put it on, looking at myself in the mirror. Hmm. I need accessories.

 

After finding the right things to go with my dress, I remove the Velcro from my hair, tying my hair more properly this time. I wrap a floral handkerchief around my ponytail, and place my hair over my shoulder.

 

I grab the flower purse that I chose a while ago, stuffing my phone and iPod inside. I didn’t even bother bringing money. Dr. McLaren said everything else will be taken care of. All I have to do is have fun, and have fun I shall.

 

∞∞∞◊∞∞∞◊∞∞∞

 

After one final look at the mirror, I step out of the room, and into EXO’s styling room. I don’t know why I’m so nervous. I exhale all my worries away before turning the doorknob.

 

“Hey, guys,” I greet them as I enter the room.

 

Everyone is busy, putting on their suits. For the event, they’re wearing pastel blue coats over white shirts, and beige pants. Even their shoes are the same. I shake my head in amusement.

 

“Hey, Ro—” Lay stops midsentence, pausing from wearing his blue coat.

 

The others turn to look at me. I see Kai and Chen smile. Suho pats Sehun on the back, then puts his hands on Sehun’s shoulder to shake him.

 

“Hi. Which girl group are you from?” Baekhyun asks, grinning.

 

Chanyeol is acting like a cameraman, his hands holding an invisible camera. He moves from side to side, saying he’s finding the right angle.

 

“Yah! You look beautiful in every angle,” he grumbles sulkily, putting his hands down.

 

“Thank you?” I ask, uncertain. Is that supposed to be good thing or a bad thing?

 

Kyungsoo smiles at me, his lips forming a heart. I melt a little, seeing his new hairstyle. They shaved his the sides of his hair, the longer portions are sticking upwards. Kai approaches me and BaekYeol. He bows to me, and I punch him lightly when he stood up properly.

 

“What’s wrong with you guys?” I retort, rolling my eyes at them. Secretly, I’m happy that they think I’m pretty. I was even able to make Lay stop talking midsentence!

 

I look at the for of us in the mirror. The three of them are wearing the same clothes. Though, now that I’ve noticed it, EXO-K are wearing bowties with a darker shade of blue. Baekhyun’s hair was dyed a darker shade of brown. Yeol’s mushroom hair was shaved, giving him a manlier look. He isn’t wearing a cap tonight, looking really handsome. Kai’s hair is pushed back, dyed black for tonight.

 

I, on the other hand, had my hair bleached. I’m now blonde with blue dip-dyed hair. I tied my hair up into a ponytail, secured by a rubber band and a handkerchief with pink roses prints. The dress that I wore has sequins at the bust portion, sparkling gold as they catch the light. The rest of the dress is pastel blue sheer cloth. I’m also wearing white lace gloves without fingers.

 

After looking through frightening high heels that will definitely break my neck, I found white wedges with golden ankle straps that are neither too high nor too low. I thank the heavens for the awesome clothes provided by SM Entertainment, even if I’m not an artist.

 

“You scrub up pretty well, Een,” Xiumin tells me. His hair is red tonight, combed to one side but still spiky. I like this look on him.

 

“You scrub up pretty well yourself.” I gesture to all of them. I might actually die right now. These boys really look handsome tonight.

 

“Hey, fire princess,” Tao greets me, arranging the lapels of his suit.

 

“Hey, fire princess,” Baekhyun copies Tao, tugging on his own suit exaggeratedly.

 

The others laugh in response, Chanyeol clapping his hands like a seal. You can dress these boys as dashing as you can, but they will always be the twelve idiots that never run out of stupidity. The twelve idiots who are my housemates, who are my friends. I smile at Kris, and he winks.

 

“Oongya, oongya,” I mutter, beaming widely.

 

“You had to ruin the moment, didn’t you?” he asks rhetorically, rolling his eyes and shaking his head to mimic me.

 

I give him a poker face, but I couldn’t keep my face steady. Kris’ smirk is so much better than his cold guy image. Even though he shows people that he’s this city guy who couldn’t care less, he’s a really nice moron who can make everyone smile.

 

I place my arm around Tao’s waist. “Waddup, time prince?” I look up to meet his eyes.

 

These guys are really tall. I’m just a few inches taller than Tao’s shoulders. Jongdae had to slump his shoulders when I put my arms around them.

 

“Hey, hey, hey. That’s Mrs. Byun,” Baekhyun interrupts us, tugging at my arm.

 

“How can I be Mrs. Byun if you’re already Mrs. Park?” I ask, raising an eyebrow at Park Baek Hyun.

 

“Let them be, baby.” Chanyeol places his arm around Baekhyun’s shoulders, pulling Baek towards him.

 

“Oh, boy,” Chen mutters from behind us.

 

I shriek, removing my arm from Tao’s waist to smack him on the arm, again and again and again and again. “THEY’RE DOING IT AGAIN!” I shout.

 

“Excuse me,” a woman interrupts us, passing by to exit the room. She looks at me, and then at Tao, her red lips. Miss Red Lipstick.

 

I immediately shut up. Her judging look is like a douse of cold water to my face. I look down at the floor, tugging nervously at the chain strap of the flower bag. Maybe she’s right. Maybe I will always be just a fan.

 

I hear Kris clear his throat. I didn’t notice him move. How did he get here? He places his arms around my shoulders. Something, I noticed, that all of the member do. Nothing is ever too close to them.

 

I look up at Kris, the giant. I barely reach his shoulders. He’s holding up a bottle of water. “Hey, guys,” he calls the other members who are seated on the couch. I raise an eyebrow at Kris, intrigued.

 

Suho, Sehun, Luhan, and Lay join us. Luhan pushes Sehun towards me and I make room for him beside me. He smiles shyly at me, and I melt into a puddle of feels and fangirling. But Miss Red Lipstick’s look haunts me, making me look down on the floor again. I look up at Kris as he clears his throat again.

 

“To friends, to fans, and to awesome fans who are better as friends,” he says, raising the bottle of water.

 

Suho places his hand in front of himself, the others putting theirs on top of his hand. Kris lays his hand there, too, and they all look at me.

 

“What?” I ask, unsure of what’s going on.

 

“Please stop ruining the moment with your numbness and dumbness,” Chen says, winking at me.

 

I roll my eyes at him, but I beam at him afterwards. I place my hand on top of theirs.

 

“EXO!” Suho says

 

“Saranghaja!” we answer in chorus.

 

This is the most epic moment of my life. Baekhyun and Suho starts singing 3.6.5. Most epic moment of my life.. Yet.