Chapter V: Pilot Episode Part 1

Behind-The Scene Heroes

“Hey, Een,” Suho greets me as I walk towards the living room.

 

Suho is sitting on the couch with Chen, who is asleep and resting his head on Suho’s shoulder. Kris stares at me, giving me a tight smile. He scoots a bit to the left, making some space for me on the second couch. I sit down, sighing.

 

“I’m sorry,” he mutters once I sat down.

 

I look at him, my eyebrows shooting up. He runs his fingers through his hair and I momentarily wonder how many notes would a GIF like this get in Tumblr. Kris shrugs, smiling apologetically.

 

“I’m sorry, too,” I tell him. This time, he’s the one who is taken aback.

 

“I didn’t know you could be nice,” he says to me, smirking.

 

I shake my head and roll my eyes at him. “You had to ruin the nice moment, didn’t you?”

 

“And we’re back to being hostile.” He chuckles, finding me amusing. I push him off the couch. He lands with a thud, making Suho and Kai laugh. Chen stirs, looking around as he opens his eyes.

 

“You’re supposed to fly, right?” Suho asks Kris. I think Kris’ power is one of the coolest. I mean, he can fly. He can go anywhere he wants.

 

“I can only fly in certain conditions,” Kris grumbles sulkily.

 

“Oh? I didn’t know,” I say to him. “When was the last time you flew?”

 

“Last month? We were training all day and I really, really wanted to go back to the dorm and rest. You couldn’t imagine how glad I was that the day was over,” he sighs. He rubs his neck, most probably remembering the exhaustion they all felt that day.

 

“I imagine that you floated off the ground. And probably did somersaults in the air.” I grin, taking a pillow and hugging it. I slouch against the sofa.

 

“He gave Tao a free ride,” Kai tells me, looking up from watching TV.

 

My heart melts as I imagine TaoRis, one of my EXOtps, flying around the dance studio even if they are dog-tired. I can visualize Tao’s non-existent eyes as he grins and whoops in excitement.

 

“It’s here!” Baekhyun shouts excitedly as he enters the apartment. He is holding a CD over his head, his grin wide.

 

“Kids!” Suho calls the others.

 

Chen sits up sleepily, woken up by Suho’s call. He rubs

 

“Episode 1 is here!” Suho says as he stands up, walking towards the bedrooms. “Lay, let’s go.”

 

Kyungsoo and Sehun emerge from the kitchen with Luhan and Xiumin trailing them. Xiumin is holding a big bowl of popcorn, Luhan grabbing a handful and munching. They’re followed by Tao and Chanyeol who are pushing each other. They approach me, still pointing at each other.

 

I raise my eyebrow. “What?”

 

They push each other some more but Tao gives up eventually, sighing. “We’re sorry that we made fun of you.”

 

“It’s okay. I know you can’t help it,” I forgive them. I glare at Chanyeol who’s grinning like an idiot at the back of Tao.

 

“So, does that mean you won’t show them my pre-debut photos?” Tao asks, his tone begging. Ah, so this is what it’s about.

 

I chuckle. “It’s already on the internet, Tao. How do you think I found them?”

 

His eyes widen, blood draining out of his face.

 

“I think you badly need a blush right now, Zitao,” I say to him. “Here, sit.” I stand up from the sofa, pushing Tao to sit down beside Kris.

 

Kris puts his arm around Tao’s shoulder, and Tao leans on Kris’ shoulder. My heart explodes as I witness this TaoRis moment. Millions and millions of fangirls would die if they see this.

 

“It’s okay. It’s not like we don’t know you were ugly before,” Kris tells Tao with mock comforting. He taps Tao’s shoulder reassuringly.

 

“There isn’t really any difference. You’re still ugly,” Chanyeol butts in, grabbing the opportunity to bully Tao.

 

“Yah!” Tao reacts, making a face at Chanyeol and glaring at him.

 

“Hey, Een,” Lay greets me, his eyelids heavy. I think Suho just woke him up. He sits down the carpet, leaning his head on Tao’s knee.

 

I shrugs, sitting down beside Lay. Jeez. Living with twelve other people makes the room sort of claustrophobic. Suho follows suit, settling next to me. Baekhyun plays the video.

 

The episode started with EXO arriving at the set, Kyungsoo the first one to step out of the car. Kris was the last one to get off the car. We laugh at the dog which spotted the camera on the street.

 

A long table with twelve chairs was on the set, a snack bar on its left. Chanyeol and Luhan headed straight to the snack bar.

 

“You gluttons,” I mutter, amused by the show.

 

“Yah. We were hungry,” Luhan tells me from across the coffee table. He’s still eating popcorn with Xiumin.

 

“Speaking of hungry.” Kyungsoo stands up from the couch and heads straight to the kitchen. We continue watching episode 1.

 

A message appeared on the TV adjacent to the snack bar, startling the members. Their different reactions were shown, Chanyeol stepping back, surprised. The boys laugh at themselves, enjoying the show like me even if it just started.

 

“We’re so embarrassing,” Suho says, covering his face with his hand.

 

“Welp,” I respond, not agreeing with him, but not disagreeing with him, too.

 

Kris and Suho arrived on the set. Suho sat in the middle, between Baekhyun and Chen. Kris settled down at the farthest left seat next to Luhan. The TV rang again, taking the members by surprise. I laugh at Chanyeol’s reaction. The other members laugh as well, Tao slapping Chanyeol’s shoulder while guffawing.

 

A message flashed on the TV, telling them to put on the microphones on the table. Chen handed out the mics. Baekhyun kidded around, putting his mic on, like the way they do during concerts.

 

The members laugh at Baekhyun’s antics. Kris gives him a high five. “Really funny, Baek.” Even though the members are usually hostile towards one another, they’re very nice to each other sometimes.

 

We resume watching the pilot episode. This time, the members were told to each do a mic test. I roll my eyes at Lay’s mic test, his pitch changing from high to low. The boys react the same they did on the episode when Suho performed his mic test.

 

“That didn’t make you any cooler, Suho,” Sehun says to Suho, smirking.

 

“You’re already a lost cause, even if you try harder,” Chanyeol sides with Sehun, pursing his lips and shaking his head.

 

Suho narrows his eyes at them and the two laugh.

 

“Mic check, 1 2 3, I’m Suho, yeah,” Baekhyun copies Suho, making everyone laugh again.

 

The members were asked to do a reaction about having their own show using their body. Kai started the round, punching his fist into the air, psyching the other members.

 

“Ah, the dancing machine,” Chen says to Kai, tapping his shoulder.

 

Suho called the attention of the boys. He stepped on his chair and raised his hands up like an idiot, performing a lame excuse for a body reaction. The other members chuckle as we watch him do his stunt. Sehun covers his face, embarrassed for his leader.

 

“I’m doubting your credibility as a leader,” Luhan tells Suho, snickering. I nudge Suho’s knee with mine.

 

The members performed their body reactions and I giggle at Sehun’s dancing. Kris, as expected, didn’t participate. So, they coaxed him to try harder.

 

“Cold city guy,” Tao whispers to Kris. I lean my head on Tao’s knee, finally getting comfortable around them.

 

Kris finally did his reaction on the show, performing a body wave. Amused, the whole gang stood up, wanting to do a body wave together. The wave started from Kai, ending with a flick of Kris’ hand.

 

“Cool!” I say, my inner fangirl slightly showing.

 

“It’s because it ended with me, and it’s my idea,” Kris states proudly. I raise my head from Tao’s knee to look at Kris, making a face at him.

 

Questionnaires were given to the boys and they had to answer one by one. The first question was who the most handsome is. Each of them examined the others’ faces, scrutinizing their groupmates. Kris voted for himself.

 

“Seriously?” I ask rhetorically, raising my eyebrow at him.

 

“They asked for my opinion.” He shrugs indifferently, as if the answer to the question is so obvious.

 

Luhan voted for Xiumin, while Chanyeol chose Kai, his idol. Sehun spitted his drink upon hearing this. The members laugh. Kyungsoo answered it’s Baekhyun and Baekhyun answered it’s Kyungsoo. I giggle at the cuteness overload of my babies.

 

Suho said that it’s Chen, looking expectantly at Chen. Chen looked at him, saying that the most handsome member is.. Sehun.

 

“See?” I tell Suho, chuckling.

 

Xiumin chose Luhan, too. Tao quietly said that it’s Suho. The Tao on the show so far is so different from the panda that I live with. Chanyeol looks at his idol, Kai, expectantly, too. But Kai chose Tao, making Chanyeol pout.

 

Suho and Sehun were tied so they settled it through rock paper scissors. Sehun didn’t respond, allowing Suho to claim the title. Suho won the round by default.

 

“It’s supposed to be Sehun!” Chen exclaims, disbelief still etched in his face even though he was there on the show.

 

“Hey, Een. How about you? Who’s the most handsome member?” Kris asks me, nudging my shoulder with his knee. The other members turn to look at me.

 

“Yah! Everyone is good-looking! How do I decide?” I complain.

 

“Okay, fine.” Kris rolls his eyes at me. “Then, rank us instead.”

 

“Can I just give the hottest half?” I bargain, unwilling to rank my EXO. I can never decide properly when I rank them. Sometimes, I just write the first three and plop down on my pillow, giving up on the list.

 

“Alright, alright!” Kris agrees impatiently. “Just get on with it already.” He leans back on the sofa, resting his arm on the backrest confidently.

 

“This is in no particular order, okay?” I cover my face with my hands. “Sehun.” I exhale, removing my hands from my face.

 

Sehun claps his hands, grinning. His eyes disappear when he smiles. He does a little dance. Yah! My heart melts into a puddle of feels at the sight of his curved mouth.

 

Kyungsoo arrived from the kitchen, handing me a bowl of fried rice and a spoon. “Thanks, D.O.,” I say as I take the bowl. “Hmm.. Kyungsoo, Luhan, Tao,” I continue my list. I eat my first spoonful of dinner.

 

Luhan gives a highfive to Kyungsoo as Kyungsoo sits beside him. Tao smirks, satisfied with himself. Kris looks at me expectantly, his eyes shining with confidence. I purse my lips, trying to stifle my giggle.

 

“Xiumin,” I go on. Xiumin grins, his cheekbones higher than usual. “And,” I pause for suspense. “Chanyeol,” I say, ending my list.

 

“Yah! Why wasn’t I there?!” Kris reacts violently, pointing at me. His eyes are wide, incredulous.

 

“Kris,” Suho calls him. Kris’ head snaps towards Suho’s direction. Suho points at Kris’ feet. “You’re flying.”

 

“Wait, what?” Kris looks at his feet, which are a few feet above the ground. But this distracts him. He lost his concentration, landing with a loud thud on the carpet.

 

“Maybe you’re not really a heartthrob after all, Kris. Maybe you’re just imagining it,” Baekhyun tells Kris with a mischievous smile. Chen snickers, agreeing with Baekhyun.

 

“Baek,” I scold him. “He is hot, not just hot enough.”

 

The members laugh at my joke and Kris’ crestfallen face. I pat his knee in fake comfort. Tao pulls him up and Kris sits beside him. My inner TaoRis shipper does a somersault before landing in a split.

 

“A lot of girls still think that you’re the hottest one, Kris.” I stand up. I think my bladder is about to burst. Suho pauses the TV. “I’m just not one of them.”