34: Pastel

Painted Nails & Backup Plans
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
34 Pastel is for the cartoons    Chanyeol came in to the room carrying three large bags with him, two of which were clothes while the other, supplies. He pocketed his car keys as his eyes wandered to the sleeping figures inside. It seemed like Soojung pulled the couch where she and Dan were curled on to next to Chris’ bed. All of them were tucked under thick blankets because even if the AC was off, the weather was still so damn cold. A smile spread across his face as he put the bags down. He went over the small cabinet to load the groceries he bought inside.

He was on his second pack of fruits when Soojung stirred and lifted her head to find him.

“You’re awake.” He smiled.

“You’re back,” she muttered, rubbing her eyes.

He nodded and continued stacking. “I bought your and Dan’s clothes, too.”

“I told you I can get it. You didn’t have to drive all the way to Kline just to get our things.”

“It’s okay. You drove all the way here to get to me and Chris anyway. I’m just keeping things even between us,” he said with a chuckle. “And by the way, I didn’t know what are you favorites so I just grab some random undergarments from your drawer.”

Her jaw literally dropped. “YOU WHAT?!”   Chanyeol laughed. “Seriously, they’re inside the bag.”   “I told you to only get a t-shirt and a hoodie!”   “I’m just kidding! Although the undergarments were the first thing I saw when I tried getting your clo- AW! No need to throw me the pillo- AW! HEY! I didn’t know it was the drawer meant for bras and pa- AW!”   “HOW COULD T-SHIRTS BE HANGED INSIDE A DRAWER?!”   “Well, I basically fold my shirts and put them inside the drawer, okay?” he explained.   “Whatever, ert.” She just shook her head as she carefully stood up, tucking Dan under the blanket even more. She leaned in to check on Chris as well, brushing the little boy’s bangs away from his forehead.

“How is he? Did the doctor come when I was out?” asked Chanyeol.

Soojung shook her head. “It’s just the nurses. They just checked his temperature and adjusted the fluids. He would always assume they were going to prick him, but he didn’t cry anymore when the last nurse came in,” she told him, smiling proudly as if the boy was her kid.

Chanyeol grinned. “That’s a good thing. I should congratulate him when he wakes up.”

She hummed in reply before going over to where the drummer was. “What are those?” she asked, looking at the bag of groceries.

“Supplies?”

“What for?” She laughed, curiously rummaging the contents of the plastic bag. “Chanyeol, we’re staying here only for a day or two. It looks like you bought a week worth of grocery.”

He frowned. “I only bought fruits, you know.”

Soojung saw something inside the bag and pulled it out. “Fruits, huh?” she chortled, holding a carton of cereal with a free toy up. “You shouldn’t buy them things like this, Chanyeol. This is how children learn violence,” she nagged, eyeing the toy figure of what looked like one of the characters on Sehun’s favorite violent anime game.

“And who told you the toy is for Chris or Dan?” he smirked.

She scoffed and threw the carton back inside the bag. “You’re so childish.”

Almost like Sehun… who she honestly missed.
 
“YEHEY IT’S SHOPPING TIME!” Hejin cheered, jumping up and down on the couch at Jinri’s living room. It had been five days since the little girl arrived on their doorstep and since that day, Junhong’s shadow hadn’t even been seen within the vicinity. Well, at least for Sehun and Jinri.

“Hejin, there’s a big difference between grocery shopping and just shopping. Now get away from my couch. Or at least don’t jump there with your shoes on for Pete’s sake!” Jinri sneered from the kitchen as she fetched her, uh, toothbrush from the fridge. Who could blame her when she had a thing for fresh and cold bristles?

Hejin jumped off the couch. “But we’re going out! Together! That’s the most important thing, right, Sehunnie appa?!”

This made Sehun groan. “Why do have to go with you two? Like, ugh, isn’t this suppose to be a girls’ day out? I should be at home chilling instead of accompanying two annoying spoiled brats to shopping –”

“Grocery shopping.”

“So early in the morning? And aren’t mothers the one who do this kind of stuff? My role is just to work for the family!” Sehun complained with his body sprawled out on the other couch.

“Exactly why you’re coming. The bill’s on you.”

“WHAT?!”

Jinri smirked at him and turned to Hejin. “You little monster, let’s go.”
 
Sehun continued with his endless complaints while they were driving, when they parked the car, when they went out the car, and now that they were inside the grocery store, repeating things like, “Why should I spend money on you two? Am I a sugar daddy now? God, I hate both of you! And what’s this? Why are you throwing packs of sanitary pads inside the cart? Aren’t we buying Hejin’s necessities not yours? What do you mean it’s my fault? HOW IS IT MY FAULT YOU’VE RAN OUT OF NAPKINS?”

Jinri rolled her eyes. “I mean, it’s your fault I’ve ran out of food stock in my kitchen,” she cried, choosing between two brands of hand soap.

“Yes, kitchen,” he snickered. “Are napkins, oil controller, hand cream, and shaver kitchen necessities? Like, shaver? Seriously, Jinri? Don’t you wax?”

She hissed. “It’s for emergency purposes!”

“Like what? When you accidentally ordered a whole mass of pig and you have to get rid of its hair for dinner?”

When she finally made up her mind about the hand soap, she tossed it into the cart. “Shut up, Sehun, and just push the freaking cart. Like you’ve said, girls run the house. We, the ladies, do grocery shopping so you have no say on this one.”

“I want that!” Hejin squeaked, pointing at a roll of bubblegum she saw from her seat in front of the pushcart. Honestly, it was one heck of a struggle putting her there when actually, she was suppose to walk like a normal child, but being the persistent brat she was, she insisted of riding the cart even if her legs wouldn’t even fit the ing hole. That exact moment, Jinri wished she’d get stuck.

“Hejin that’s not even on the shopping list,” Jinri told her matter-of-factly.

“And so are these lettuce, cucumber, veggie chips, mayonnaise, and these two gallons of strawberry ice cream! I told you I wanted chocolate but you acted as if you didn’t hear me! And I’m sure you’ll just use the cucumber for your eyes just like that girl I saw on TV!”

Jinri groaned noisily. “Fine. We’re buying the bubblegum. Gosh, you’re so annoying,” she scorned at her while throwing the bubblegum into the cart. This little brat.

“YAY!” Hejin cheered and then stuck her tongue out at Jinri. This eomma.

“I freaking hate my life,” Sehun growled, pushing the cart to follow Jinri on to the next aisle.

“Hey, brat, what shampoo do you use? Since you’re form an orphanage, I assume bath soap?” Jinri snickered, laughing at her own joke.

“Do you always insult children?” Hejin retorted, crossing her arms. “For your information, I use that one.” She pointed at an expensive brand of shampoo.

It took Jinri five seconds to gather her thoughts. “You use that shampoo?! Excuse me, little brat, but that kind of shampoo doesn’t even touch hair like yours. It’s so expensive even your brain would straighten and you wouldn’t talk back to adults anymore. That shampoo’s exported from Japan!”

“Like I do not know.”

Jinri scoffed. “Whatever! You’re using this one, you liar.” She threw a cheap shampoo into the cart.

“HEY! I DON’T USE THAT SHAMPOO! IT’S ITCHY!”

“Like I do not know,” Jinri mocked at her.

“I HATE YOU!”

“Likewise.” She stuck her tongue out, stomping away.
 
“Why is this cart so full?! I am not spending more than $50 for your supplies!” Sehun whined, looking at the cart while Jinri was busy looking for a short file among the cashiers.

“Stop overreacting, Sehun. And what $50? You’re so cheap! That doesn’t even reach half of these items! There! That one has the shortest line, come on.”

“DOESN’T REACH HALF OF – I AM TELLING YOU I AM NOT BUYING THESE THINGS!”

Jinri pushed the cart by herself since Sehun was too hysterical to even care. “Sehun, be realistic. A $50 worth of supplies wouldn’t even last for a week! Just see it this way; with $50 you could buy a dozen of eggs, a couple of canned goods, a roll of baguette,
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter