21: White

Painted Nails & Backup Plans
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
21 White is for the walls    “Hello?”
  “Yeah?”
  “Uh… did I leave something there? I lost my bracelet and I think I lost it there. It’s silver with skull pendants –”
  “Yeah, I have it here,” Jongin cut her off, staring at the silver accessory on his hand.
  “Oh,” she stopped. “Are you still there? At Flour Beats, I mean.”
  “Nah. I’m on my way home,” he lied. He was still inside his office, sitting idly on his chair, slouching. A smirk was forming on his lips.
  “Oh, okay. Will you be in your office tomorrow? I’ll come and get it.”
  “Sure.”
  “Around 2pm,” she declared. “I’m hanging u–”
  “This bracelet seems important to you. You even called this late for it,” he said, looking up at the clock on his wall. It read 12:43.
  He heard her breathing. “Yeah. I’m hanging up.” And she did.
 
  Jung Soojung pushed the door open, again, making the ing bells jingle like the balls of a camel walking on a lonely, hot desert. She loathed the sound. It reminded her of Kim Jongin and all the mess he brought to her life. Since the day he met the guy, her boring, set-on-a-schedule life became a roller coaster ride that hopped off its railway.
  “Good afternoon!”
  And there. She hated the staffs’ greeting as much as she hates the boss.
  “Come with me, Ms Jung. Mr Kim told me you’ll be paying a visit,” Hyungseok chirped happily, smiling that handsome smile of his.
  Even if she wanted to say she could walk to his office on her own, she knew better. So she followed him obediently, trailing behind him and it somehow felt like she was inside a Greek story, with Hyungseok as the boatman and her as a dead person being escorted to the underworld. It freaking felt like a walk to hell. She just wanted her bracelet back and if there was only a way to retrieve it without seeing the face of that kind-in-the-beginning-but-grew-horn-and-tails-later , she’d definitely turn around and run away now.
  To Soojung’s surprise, Hyungseok bid goodbye just before they reached the door to Jongin’s office. She should’ve known better because when she pushed the door open, a different face greeted her with a grin and it was the first time she ever preferred seeing Jongin’s goddamn handsome, chiseled face instead.
  Her face scrunched up, brows knitting. What the hell. “T-taemin?”
  “Hi, Soojung.” He grinned further if that was even possible.
  “W-what…” Oh my .
  “Here’s,” he said, fishing out something from his pocket. “Your bracelet. Jongin said you left it here yesterday and he invited me to, you know, come over. So, yeah, I’m doing the honor.” He smiled charmingly.
  Soojung looked over Taemin’s shoulder and saw Jongin sitting on his stupid office chair, looking up and smiling smugly at her. She wanted to shout at him and call him a betrayer but it wasn’t even applicable to the situation she was in right now and it was even more irritating knowing she wasn’t thrown under the bus. She was pushed inside instead. And I wasn’t even her lift!
  “And since you’re here…” Taemin trailed off, seeing her eyes were somewhere else.
  She glared at Jongin but looked back at the guy in front of her immediately. “Yeah. I’m sorry. What is it again?”
  “I am wondering if, you know… do you have anything up today?” he asked hopefully.
  Soojung, think of something! She wacked her brain for any excuse. Just literally anything. Maybe if she’d told him she’d have dinner with Sehun, he’ll leave her alone for good. But she knew that that pretty little devil, Kim Jongin, had already brief Taemin of her and Sehun’s relationship. So if ever she used that excuse, the guy would probably just leave her for tonight and not forever. And she needed something to make him leave her alone for eternity. Great.
  “Uh… actually, I’m going to –”
  “I’m telling you, dude, she’s free,” Jongin butted in.
  Oh my god. you, Kim Jongin.
  “Well, honestly, I –”
  “It’s just dinner, please,” Taemin pleaded, looking at her with hopeful eyes.
  She wetted her lips, practically considering the idea of harshly rejecting him but she wasn’t in the mood to be a a ruin someone’s night so she agreed half-heatedly.
  “Really?”
  “Yeah,” she said, looking down. “I don’t have anything scheduled tonight after all.”
  “Oh my god, thank you! I brought my car with me. It’s right outside, come on.”
  “Uh, after dinner, can we go back here? I have my car with me too and…”
  “Oh, is that so?”
  She swore she saw disappointment in his eyes. Maybe he was hoping to give her a ride back home. But her house wasn’t in the city and besides, she had no plan of letting Lee Taemin step anywhere near her house. It was her only safe place for goodness’ sake and if he already knew where her lair was, she couldn’t afford the guy barging in whenever he felt the urge to.
  “And I’m going home with Sehun because that poor kid just won’t buy his own car,” she added, thinking maybe talking about another guy in front of him would turn him off.
  “Your neighbor?”
  She guessed he already knew but she just wanted to more and said, “Best friend. And sometimes he sleeps in my house too since he hates sleeping alone.”
  His expression changed. “Oh.” He laughed humorlessly. “Seems like you guys knew each other for a long time.”
  “Diaper days,” she smiled lightheartedly.
  He forced a chuckle. “Right. So… let’s get going?”
  “Sure.”
  “Okay. Let’s go.” And he walked out of Jongin’s office.
  “Way to go, Jung,” Jongin cut in. “I’ve told him enough. You cannot fool him with all your ugly, redundantly over-exaggerated stories.”
  She smirked. She wasn’t losing to this annoying . “I see. But did you tell him it was Sehun that I like?” she challenged for the sake of annoying the ever annoying spawn of hell. Seeing the change on Jongin’s face, she added, “I bet you didn’t.”   “Well… I didn’t know.”
  “Now you do. And I think you should tell him that instead of all the false trivia you’re passing on to him, know-it-all.” She was frustratingly agitated! Who could freaking blame her?
  “Does he like you?” he asked softly.
  She was taken aback. “What?”
  “My gut’s telling me he has a thing for my girlfriend.”
  Wow, is he a mind reader or something? Maybe a gypsy? How can he know?!
  “He doesn’t! The same time he doesn’t feel anything for me,” she shamefully added in a whisper, thinking Jongin didn’t hear him. But how wrong could she be?
  He gazed at her. “Don’t worry. You’ll find love.”
  Her eyes fell on Jongin’s, surprised by his words. Jongin was actually as surprised. He didn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter