31: Pastel

Painted Nails & Backup Plans
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
31 Pastel is for the kids    The moment Chanyeol opened his eyes, the usual thing he sees every time he does wasn’t the one he saw today; instead, the cold, wooden, herringbone floor greeted him like an insult. He was lying flat on his stomach on the ground (which, by the way, didn’t have any underfloor heating), only covered by a comforter that clearly didn’t help, considering he was now sniffing from almost freezing to death last night (his fingers wouldn’t move!). All this was all due to the thought the bedroom would be warmer (because it usually was; except last ing night!) the reason he chose to sleep there instead of cuddling with Jongin on the couch. Ironically though, the bedroom seemed a gazillion percent colder compared to the living area. Perfect.

Scratching his head, he sat up and stretched, his bones snapping from staying inside a refrigerated room for too long – which he positively regretted. Yawning, he peered over the girl sleeping on the bed. He chuckled the moment he saw her, because far from her glamorous, expensive look last night - almost as if she was a goddess - she definitely looked like a normal, human girl now, sprawled out on bed like a starfish, her foot sticking out from the blanket, slightly opened with hint of drool curving out.

Remembering, the girl asked him to specifically wake her up when he does – although she didn’t even bother asking if the idiot wakes up early or not in a normal basis (luckily, he did, being still somehow used to U.S.’s time zone and all) – Chanyeol got up and shook her shoulders.

“Soojung,” he called, rubbing his eyes while reaching for her. “Soojung, wake up.”   She just grunted but didn’t even budge. He shook her harder. “Hey, Claudia. Soojung, wake – OW!”

She shoved his hand really hard and then mumbled something angrily which he didn’t even make out what since she buried her face in the pillow.

Not being used to waking up not-easily-waken-up people (actually, he wasn’t used to waking up anyone at all given that he started living all by himself since early high school), he grabbed her ankle and dragged her until her was nearly falling off the bed.

“OKAY! OKAY! I’M AWAKE! I GET IT! I’M AWAKE!”

Chanyeol chuckled. “Get up and let’s –”

He was cut off midsentence when suddenly, some shuffling outside was heard. They exchanged looks, horror on their faces, before darting outside in full speed, afraid there might be burglar breaking in, or worst, Jongin breaking things.

But to their surprise, the peacefulness outside was ear-piercing. The mess they left last night wasn’t there anymore either. And although the couch was still stained, the rumpled carpet was already smoothened, the empty bags of chips and cans of soda Chanyeol and Soojung left on the table when they watched TV last night weren’t there anymore, and the blanket they’d covered Jongin with was folded cleanly on the couch. The living room was spot on, clean – even cleaner than how Chanyeol had ever done it – and almost sparkling. The only thing missing was Kim Jongin.

Their train of thoughts was cut short when someone spoke from the kitchen.

“I don’t know if you dislike people using your kitchen but I did anyway,” Jongin said, standing behind the island counter. “I may look like a but I’m not the type to just leave with a ‘thank you’ when someone does me a favor. I cooked breakfast if you don’t mind. I peeked into your room because I was curious of my whereabouts and I saw you, two, were still asleep so I just proceeded.”

Chanyeol and Soojung glanced at each other before Chanyeol spoke, his voice tensed.

“Uh, it’s okay, man. You don’t have to bother.”

Jongin went back to the stove. “I don’t know what you eat for breakfast so I just made omelets, bacon, and toast. I know this looks gay but I cooked for Soojung, too, so don’t misunderstand.”

Saving everyone from the awkwardness, Soojung made her way to the breakfast nook and peered over the counter to see three plates of mixed rice wrapped in omelet with tomato sauce drizzled on top, another plate filled with bacon strips and another with toasts. She almost forgot Jongin was a baker. He sure did know how to cook. The presentation was even gourmet – five-star hotel worthy.

“Wow, this looks amazing,” she mumbled, eyeing the omelets.

Chanyeol followed and stood behind her, jaw falling from the sight.

“Go help yourselves,” said Jongin.

In the end, the three of them ended up sitting on the same table, staring at each other’s faces awkwardly. Soojung was the first one to dig in, couldn’t take the underhand glare Jongin was giving Chanyeol. As far as she knew, those two didn’t even trade punches back when they were by the lake. From what she remembered, it was Jongin vs Sehun which turned into Jongin vs Junhong and Sehun vs Chanyeol. Never did she see a Chanyeol vs Jongin fight, the reason she didn’t quite understand the awkwardness. She meant, sure, they didn’t completely knew each other but why did it feel like there was something going on between them?

“It’s good!” she exclaimed, munching on the omelet. “It’s really good.”

Chanyeol glanced at her before taking a bite from his own plate. The moment the food touched his taste buds, his face enlightened.   “Wow, it really is!" he agreed. "Where do you learn to cook like this?”

Soojung wanted to smack him on the head for asking such lame question. I mean, you don’t ask someone where they learn to make breakfast, do you? Of course not everyone could do that but asking how someone did was like asking somebody how he learned tying his shoes.

“I’m a baker,” Jongin replied. “I know it’s not precisely the same thing but it’s still culinary.”

After feeding Jongin’s ego more from all the compliments and praises, they proceeded to feeding themselves with real, solid food this time. Right after, Chanyeol insisted on just dumping the plates on the sink, saying he’d just wash them tonight himself. He wasn’t the wash-right-after-using type of guy. Conserve water and do everything at once like what he’d said.

“Did I do something stupid last night?” Jongin asked, walking towards the living room.

“Aside from breaking everything inside Flour Beats kitchen, rolling over flour, eggs, and cinnamon as if you were pastry, shouting gibberish and embarrassing us to everyone we met last night, you were perfectly fine, Jongin,” Soojung said, nodding convincingly.

He couldn’t help but chuckle. “You know what, I’m sorry. You, too, Chanyeol,” he added although forced. “I don’t usually at drinking but I guess I drank a little too much.”

She shrugged and sat next to Chanyeol who was busy browsing TV channels even if he knew there would be nothing but news this early morning.

“It’s already done, Jongin. There’s nothing we could do about it anymore and after all, just like what you’ve said, you made up for it through breakfast,” she said.

“I guess you left my car in my shop.”

“Oh, yeah. Couldn’t take it with us.”

Jongin nodded. “I know. Still, thanks for last night, seriously.”

“That’s nothing,” she said, eyeing Chanyeol who clearly didn’t seem fine with it. But she knew it wasn’t Jongin he had to hate but her. “I think anyone who’d seen you like that would do wha-”

Chanyeol’s landline phone suddenly rang, surprising the three of them. The drummer picked it up.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Yeol. I have a favor to ask. Are you with anyone right now?”

“Yes, Chen, good morning to you, too. And yeah, I have a couple of people here with me. Why? Something’s up?” he asked, looking at Soojung and Jongin who were completely clueless of who was on the other line and why was he asking about them.

“Great!” Chen exclaimed. “Can I know their names?”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes, knowing Laura’s vocalist could be such a mischievous sometimes considering he almost lived as a thug before he joined the band.

“Chen, what the hell is this prank?”

Chen sighed. “Yeol, believe me, this is not one of my many games. I really need your help.”

“Is this about the girl you’ve wanted to have with again? Well, news flash, Chen, this is the hundredth time I am telling you I have no intention of helping you out with her. And trust me she’s one hell of a hard egg to crack. That girl looks like she’ll enter the convent whenever she has the chance.”

“Exactly! That’s why I need her! I want to get laid with anything that has a while she hasn’t even kissed a lamppost her entire damn life! I need her innocence for my own cleansing for god’s sake – definitely why you have to give me a hand.”

Having no other thing to do, Soojung awkwardly reached for the remote and continued Chanyeol’s ceased browsing. Jongin was sitting on the other couch. He actually intended to say goodbye and leave before the phone rang, but now that the owner of the freaking house was busy talking, he couldn’t, so he sat there awkwardly.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes again. “ you, Chen. What do you want?”

“Jesus. I love you, too, man. This is a yes, right? I’m going to drop by your unit in 20 minutes. Wait for me, okay? And please tell your two friends in there to wait for me, too. What are their names again?”

“Uh, Jung Soojung and Kim Jongin?”

“Fantastic! I’m hanging up, Yeollie.”

“Yeah, don’t call me that, er.”
 
Chen rang the buzzer 5 minutes earlier than what he’d said, something Chanyeol was grateful for since he’d ran out of excuses on asking Jongin to stay a little longer. He didn’t know what to say since he, himself, had no idea what was going on. He even said a lame explanation like ‘my friend just wants to know your name’ to Soojung and Jongin when they grew curious of why they heard their names being passed out through phone. Jongin was so near to calling the cops thinking Chanyeol just propelled him to a hired killer to get him rid for good so that he and Jinri could live happily ever after. What a wild imagination.

Chanyeol opened the door and greeted, “You er, what –?”

“Chanyeol, bro, watch your mouth,” Chen shushed him. “Come on, kids, let’s go inside!”

Kids?

Wait, what?!

He almost didn’t notice three little creatures surrounding Chen’s legs. They were so little they didn’t even reach the vocalist’s chest. But they weren’t just small, they were cute, something Chanyeol could’ve admitted if he wasn’t puzzled of why Chen bought kids with him. This was so not him.

“Did you just impregnate three ing s and now you’re here to ask for my help in getting rid of these spawn of your own evil ?” he whispered to his friend as they enter the living room. “And in what verse of the Bible have you read I’d agree to this?”

Chen whispered back, “Will you shut your filthy mouth and stop cursing? We’re with children, can’t you see? Talk appropriately.”

“And when did you ever acquire the idea of appropriateness, Chen?”

“Oh, hi!” the vocalist greeted happily. “You must be Soojung and Jongin, right? I’m Chen, Laura’s vocalist aka Chanyeol’s friend.” He offered his hand.

Soojung fidgeted but took his hand nonetheless and shook it once. “Uh, yeah, I’m Soojung. Nice to meet you, too.”

Jongin followed. “Nice to meet you, Chen.”

“You must be wondering why I’m here so I’ll cut the chase and just go straight to the point,” he said. “I’m here because I asked Chanyeol’s help with my soon-to-be-girlfriend’s project called ‘Get the Children of St. Claire’s Orphanage a Parent for a Week’. He signed you two up with him which is great because we need as many ‘volunteer parent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter