20: Red

Painted Nails & Backup Plans
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
20 Red is for anger 
The moment Junhong heard his sister’s voice, he immediately froze. Every limb in his body refused to move. His mouth had gone dry and his eyes fell out of its sockets. The sandwich he was holding fell flat on the floor, pitifully absorbing every single mycobacterium there was. Junghong might’ve picked it up again, saying it didn’t stay on the surface of the ground enough to attract bacteria to make his bowel movement sketchy if not for the stare Jinri was giving him.
  “N-noona…” he stuttered then faked a laugh which, by the way, sounded dry. “W-what are you talking a-about?”
  “Oh, Junhong dear, I’ve heard everything, okay?” Jinri said sarcastically, striding towards her jelly-kneed brother. “I’ve heard every single thing you’ve told your pretty little best friend right here. Now, if it doesn’t bother you much, can you please repeat it because I think my ears are not serving me right tonight?”
  “Uh…” Junhong turned to Jungkook for help but the boy just gave him an I-told-you-so look, telling him this was his battle to fight, not his, leaving the poor blonde alone with no choice but to face the wrath of his sister which he desperately wished – more of planned – not to face this soon.
  “So,” Jinri’s voice snapped him back to reality. “Did you or did you not hook Jongin up with Soojung?”
  “No,” Junhong defended. “It’s not like that, noona –”
  “Oh yeah right, because it was me who you tried to lure over to Sehun! Oh my god, Junhong! I am so disappointed in you!”
  “Noona, let me explain, okay?” Junhong tried persuading his sister, stepping closer to reach for her arms which Jinri just slapped his hand away harshly.
  “Don’t you try to touch me right now, Junhong. Don’t you even try,” she said through gritted teeth.
  “Please, noona, it’s not like that. I just want you to be happy. I mean, Jongin is not the right guy –”
  “WOW! How do you even know?” she scoffed, crossing her arms on her chest.
  “He is so out of you league, noona. Can’t you see –?”
  “THAT’S THE SAME THING YOU SAID ABOUT MINHO!” she snapped. She’s tired of this. Tired of taking care of Junhong, feeding him, giving him his daily allowance, letting him live under her roof, babying him only to be paid back like this. She’s tired of Junhong trying to mix with her . She’s just tired. If this was the first time, she might’ve forgiven him, pity him even. But no. This is definitely not the first time because this is exactly what he told her when she was still with Minho and it annoys the out of her.
  “Because he is exactly what I described him as! A total workaholic, robot-like ! He wants you to be like this and like that for his own image! You’re too blind to see because you were so damn in love when it wasn’t even love!” Junhong retorted.
  He was tired too. He was tired of seeing his sister go on the wrong hands of guys who didn’t even deserve her. If Jinri thought she was goddamn tired, Junhong was just as ing goddamn tired as she because she had no idea how exhausting it feels seeing your sister walking along the streets holding the hand of an undeserving guy. She had no idea how frustrating it feels knowing that your sister wouldn’t go home because she was busy deep-throating a bastard she referred to as her boyfriend. It was tiring having a dumb, love-blind, love-sick sister you have to protect.
  “OH REALLY?! REALLY, JUNHONG?! I loved the guy, okay?! It just didn’t work out because we lost time for each other and to add up to my frustration, there you were feeding me with thoughts like I’m better off without him!”
  “And you are!”
  “Oh my god. I can’t believe I’m discussing this with you,” she scoffed in disbelief, chuckling humorlessly, hands on her hips and head thrown backwards.
  “Noona, please. Listen to me, okay? Jongin, he doesn’t deserve you. You’re so much better. You deserve something more. you deserve someone like – Chanyeol hyung? What – oh Jesus, what are you doing here? Aren’t you in States or something?”
  Chanyeol was walking down the stairs awkwardly, biting his lips with eyes wandering around the house.
  “Oh… uh… Junhong, hi,” he awkwardly greeted. “I… I think I should go. Uhm, thanks, Jinri. I’m sorry I –”
  “Hold up,” Jinri cut him off. “Wait right there. I’m just going to get my things. I’m coming with you.” And then she bolted up to the second floor, dashing to her room.
  “What –? Wait, noona! it,” Junhong cussed under his breath as he ran upstairs to her sister.
  “What the hell, Junhong! Stop it!” she shouted as she put back the clothes Junhong was unpacking to her bag.
  “Noona, what the heck are you doing?!”
  “I AM LEAVING,” she spitted as she struggled with her clothes still because her brother just wouldn’t leave her things alone.
  “No! Noona, please. Just see my point, okay? I only want what’s best for you –”
  She stopped moving for a second and turned to Junhong, staring right through his soul. “I am sick and tired of you. Cliché, right? Well, cliché because that’s exactly how I’m feeling right now.”
  Junhong sighed in frustration as he threw Jinri’s blouse he was holding furiously onto the floor.
  “FINE! FINE WITH ME! But it’s not you who’s leaving. I’ll leave. This is your house after all. And for all I know you hate me here, right? Because I’m just a -blocker whenever you invite your boys to come over and play here.”
  Slap. He received a slap right after he said his last word.
  “I am not a , Junhong.”
  A staring competition flowed right after. This was the first time Jinri became physical with Junhong. Even when they were kids, she’d never laid a finger on her brother even when she was mad. She’d yell at him, cry and yell at him more. There was this one instance when they were young when Junhong used one of her Barbie dolls to play a role together with his toy soldiers in a supposed to be phony war he set up in his imagination. He ended up severing the legs of the Barbie and when Jinri found out, she threw away his toys and shouted at him saying she would never let him borrow anything from her ever again. Which didn’t even happen because they were kids back then. And kids swear things they never stand up for.
  But now… they were adults.
  “And no. I am the one who’s leaving and I won’t be back until I think I can stomach seeing you again and not until you realize how much of a brat you’ve been. Enjoy the house, Junhong. Enjoy it as much as you want.” And with that, she zipped her bag with much effort because, heck, she was still Jinri and Jinri wouldn’t leave a single piece of clothing as much as possible whenever she leaves.
  “Noona – noona, wait!” He jogged downstairs to follow her.
  “Chanyeol, let’s go.”
  “Jinri noona, I am so sorry –”
  “Go talk to your best friend, Jungkook,” she cut him off. “He needs counseling badly.”
  “Noona, can you please just stop being stubborn and –”
  “Now I am being lectured by my younger brother! Unbelievab
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter