{4}

Overnight

***
letting your guard down 

***

Everyone had their tummies filled and they walked back to the so called place the Underground. Upon arriving, the place that was half empty a while ago was filled with people, and they barely had any space to walk.

“Who is performing tonight?” Jungkook managed to ask Namjoon amidst the chaos and voices of strangers.

“It’s pretty boy. You do know how much people he attracts,” Namjoon said with a boring tone.

“Hey,  heiress, I think you should watch him. He's the same species as you,” Yoongi smirked.

“I want to punch the daylights out of you right now!” Hyeju clenched her fist but Jin wrapped his arms around her shoulders, pulling her away.

“Enough, Yoongi,” Jin sighed and turned Hyeju’s gaze back to the stage. The boys somehow managed to push themselves –and dragging Hyeju with them- to the front, and Hyeju was greeted with another surprise. Hyungseok was on stage. The guy that she’s been with for almost 10 years is in front of her, not as student Park Hyungseok, but as an underground rapper Park Hyungseok.

“Uh uh,” Hyungseok tested the mic. "Gad to see you guys today and...” Hyungseok made eye contact with Hyeju. "Seems like I was right. Glad to see you here, babe,” Hyungseok winked but noticed Jin’s arms wrapped around her shoulder. “Oops,sorry. Never knew you had a boyfriend, cupcake.You never told me.”

“He’s not-“

“Save it later, cupcake. Got a show to do,” Hyungseok smiled and he started his rap. Jungkook kept on pestering Hyeju about who the guy was, and it was getting on her nerves.The funny part was that Jin’s hands never left Hyeju’s shouder and she wasn’t bothered at all.

“Can you guys keep your hands off of each other?” Yoongi glared at them.

“Jealous?” Hyeju smirked.

“No,” Yoongi scoffed, but deep inside he knew that he was lying to himself. He was uncomfortable, to be honest, and it felt like he wanted to pull Hyeju away and pull her into his embrace. ‘No Yoongi, what the hell are you doing?’

When the performance ended, people slowly walked away and continued to do whatever they were doing a while ago. Hyeju pulled away from Jin’s embrace and a playful hit landed on the so called ‘pretty boy rapper’s’ shoulder.

“Ya! You didn’t tell me anything about your little activity!” Hyeju made exaggerating gestures indicating she’s talking about The Underground.

“Sorry, cupcake. If I told you, you would've wanted to come here, and there’s no possibility that you’re even allowed and this is something that I don’t want you to know,” Hyungseok smiled and ruffled her hair.

“My hair,” Hyeju sighed and tied her hair in a ponytail, hoping he wouldn’t do it again.

“Let’s go home,” Mino appeared from behind and tugged on Hyeju’s elbow.

“Home?” Hyungseok raised an eyebrow at the 2 people in front of him “She knows?” Hyungseok glanced nervously at Hyeju but turned his gaze back to Mino.

“No,” Mino sighed.  “Can we not talk about it? Let’s go home.” Mino took Hyeju by her wrist and dragged her out.

“Know what? What should I know?” Hyeju glanced back at Hyungseok and Mino.

“Can’t tell you now, cupcake! See you tomorrow at school!” Hyungseok managed to shout back and gave a little wave. Hyeju gave one last wave to Jin before she was out from The Underground.

“What was Hyungseok talking about? It seemed like you know,” Hyeju continued to pester Mino with a gazillion questions, but none were answered.

 

The next morning nothing special happened, but someone found something very interesting and alarming. While Hyeju was in school, her chauffeur decided to drop her clothes and basic necessities off at the promised place as that was the only free time he had for the day. While he was driving down the road, he noticed that it was a very familiar road and neighbourhood to him.

“This can’t be... She can’t be living here,” Her chauffeur sighed and finally stopped at the address. He took the boxes and luggage –after going up and down for only-god-knows how many times- and pressed the doorbell as he arranged the boxes accordingly.

“Who is it?” The deep voiced owner asked before opening the door. Boy, weren’t both of them surprised to see each other. They were speechless. The chauffeur thought that he would never see the boy again, but here he was standing right before his eyes. “What are you doing here?” Mino asked.

“Hyeju told me to drop some things here. She lives with you? Does she know? Where is your mother? Does your dad know?” The chauffeur continued to bombard Mino with questions..

“Ahjusshi, please. Let me explain. I somehow met her at a place she wasn’t supposed to be and I brought her home. No, she doesn’t know and I don’t think I’ll tell her for the time being. She needs to get back on her feet before I decide to drop the bomb,” Mino sighed and he took the boxes as he brought them in –with the help of the chauffeur, it was done in no time- “Care for something to drink?”

“Nah, I’m fine. I have to get back. I kind of sneaked out. I’ll call you later and don’t tell your dad.” The chauffeur turned to Mino. “Here, take this.” He took Mino’s wrist, placing some money bills in his palm, forcing him to close his fingers around it. "Please just take it.” The chauffeur walked out before Mino could protest.

Mino sighed and slipped the money into his pocket. He waited for Hyeju patiently as they were going to buy some furniture to put in her room and to clean up. She changed into the same pair of clothes she wore the night before and a hat to cover her face. Both of them enjoyed a great time shopping, but Mino soon got a call from his friends that he had to perform.

“Go! Don’t worry, I’ll be ok!” Hyeju smiled and pushed the older guy slightly, indicating for him to go.

“I’ll drop you off at home. I’ll send some guys later,” Mino slipped his phone in his pocket and started to walk back home.

“But-“

“No buts. I’m not going to let you do things alone and wait for the furniture alone. Who knows what those mover guys would do,” Mino said and Hyeju only nodded in response.

 

The house was quiet as Hyeju continued to browse the internet as she wait for the so called guys that Mino called over to help. Soon there was a knock on the door. Hyeju closed her laptop –putting it to sleep- before opening the door. Much to her surprise, it was the guysBTS. Jungkook was the first one to attack her with a hug, followed by Jimin’s flirty wink, Jin’s brief hug and the other guys acknowledging her.

“So, shall we start then?” Hyeju tied her hair in a bun and the boys nodded. The boys helped her to move out the unwanted furniture that were later going to be thrown out. Right on time, the movers came and placed the furniture where Hyeju wanted. Hyeju smiled at the warm and cozy room as she continued to admire it. It wasn’t as big as her room back at the mansion, but it was just perfect. It felt like home. ‘Wow, that’s a word I’ve never used or understood,’ Hyeju thought to herself.

“Should we go get some food?” Jungkook suddenly asked.

“I’m too lazy,” both Hyeju and Yoongi answered. Everyone raised their eyebrow at their answer, while Jimin only giggled like a little girl, surprised at how they can be so synchronized.

“What if we go buy some food and you guys stay and finish up?” Jin gave a suggestion and neither Yoongi nor Hyeju denied. “That sounds like an ok plan. We’ll be back in an hour or so.” The boys put on their jackets and walked out.

“What should we do now?” Yoongi sighed softly as he turned to Hyeju.

“Well, can you help me with some stuff that's left?” Hyeju glanced at the boxes her chauffeur just sent. Surprisingly, Yoongi nodded without any hesitation and helped Hyeju to carry the boxes to her room. They were unpacking the stuff quietly when Yoongi decided to ask a question.

“Why did you run away?”

Total silence enveloped the room. Hyeju was stunned. She herself wasn’t sure why she ran away. She sighed softly before she spoke up. “Maybe I needed some fresh air? A little break from everything? Something like that,” Hyeju smiled slightly as she turned to face the guy and unexpectedly they made eye contact.

He was mesmerised. Only now has he realised how pretty the girl’s eyes are. It was shining, and her smile was broken. He knew it, how? Because he himself had been in that same situation. He himself has carved a fake smile on his face. The fact that she still wants to smile to hide her pain amazes him. He thought that people like her knew nothing about pain as they had everything they wanted in the world. Fame, money, and most importantly, family .

“Why? You have a family that cares for you there.”

The girl scoffed slightly as she turned back to unpack her stuff before answering him. “I won’t call the people there family. Having a father who doesn’t love but doesn’t particularly hate you is kind of depressing, you know. Going home to such a full house but feeling so empty. Feeling so alone when you’re surrounded. Feeling like you’re the only weird one in there just takes you away, you know? It makes you think ‘wow, I don’t really belong here.'” Hyeju sighed and bit her lower lip hard as she tried her best not to cry.

Yoonji was touched. He was surprised and also had mixed feelings, to be honest. How can someone with such a different background than him have such similar experiences and feelings as him? How? He noticed that her eyes were getting watery, but she held them back. Another thing that’s similar between them. They never cry.

“What about you? How did you start at the the Underground?”

“Well, same reason as you. Getting a little break, and I practically have no family left on this Earth. So yeah, we’re kind of similar in one way or another.”

The girl laughed slightly and took out a photo album. She flipped through the pages and stopped at a page with a family photo. A younger version of Hyeju was there –probably around 10 or 11- and a good looking man holding her left hand with a beautiful woman with a smile carved on her face holding her right hand. “Isn’t she pretty? It’s my mom.”

Hyeju smiled as she remembered the past she had with her mom. “Sincerely, I don’t know why I’m telling you all of these things and showing you these things.I feel weird,” Hyeju said and turned to face the boy again.

“Me neither. I never open up to people.” Both of them locked eyes and broke it a few moment later. “Well heiress, you don’t seem pretty bad.”

Hyeju let out a scoff. "You’re not so bad yourself. And please, it’s Hyeju. I don’t need a reminder of my painful life.”

Yoongi sighed and nodded. “Sure,” He smiled slightly.

“Did you just smile?” Hyeju blinked.

Yoongi cursed himself in his head for letting his guard down quickly, but he didn’t know what the hell got into him. He only smiled wider and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “Be happy, you’ll see more of this.”

“Ya Min Yoongi! What are you doing? You’re freaking me out,” Hyeju stared at the guy but made no attempt to pull away. In fact,she felt comfortable in his arms.

“Don’t worry, heiress, I’m not going to do anything to you,” Yoongi winked and both of them walked out to the living room to wait for the others.