Entry 1

The Journalist

And it was a regular rainy day. I sipped on my favourite tea, green tea, with my mini laptop off the side. I had my headphones on, listening to my indie rock. It was days like these that I find pleasure in-atmosphere is quiet, but not too quiet. It was perfect to write my journal entry. But, I still couldn’t think of anything. I sighed, looking down at my almost empty porcelain cup. It was in the middle of the day, and I was waiting for Yuri to come back from school. Suddenly, I heard the bell of the entrance chime, with a girl with silver dyed hair in a loose bun, striding her wet umbrella and bag right over. She plunked herself across from me, sighing. “Man, history is boring,” Yuri drawled.  I paused my playlist to listen to her conversation. “You’re so lucky you’re homeschooled, Natsumi! You don’t need to listen to a 50 year old man talk about the importance of a flag.” I smirked. “I thought you only have school for half a day?” Yuri was academically gifted-she already graduated from the private school she’s attending, but she wanted a certificate in history and science, so she only has 2 hours in the morning for school, then home by lunch. She took my cup and drank some of my tea, which her touch on my hand was cold from the rain. “I was helping some younger student in the photocopying room.” She finished. I nodded. She pointed at my laptop, giving me a look as if she wanted to know if I was writing. I shook my head. “Still thinking.” I say, before looking out the window once more. I heard her laugh, making me turn her way. “I knew you were saying something like that…Natsumi, the ‘dreamer’” I smiled. I did tend to wonder off from time to time, just cause’ I had so many things in my head, but I wasn’t sure how to put them in words exactly. I heard the door open again to see 2 boys, one seemed to be my age and the older looking one with the slightly golden brown other that’s an inch taller came in the store, both wearing Adidas sweaters. “Man, no more seats.” The taller one sighed. The black haired boy looked around the room and looked in my way. “Over there!” He pointed at my table, which the other looked where he was looking. Suddenly, they both strided over, which I kicked Yuri’s leg underneath the table. “Ow! What the-“She turned around, and saw both of them peering down at us. “Can we sit here?” The black haired boy asked. Nodding, Yuri came over to my booth which they both sat across, the golden haired one just opposite of my seat. “Hey, aren’t you both in my history class? You sit just 2 seats beside mine.” Yuri pointed at both, which the first boy smiled. “Yup!  And this guy right here is the one who indulges into his textbook more than checking out girls instead.” He snickered, which the other rolled his eyes. “Very funny, Jimin-ah.” He mumbled, looking at the menu. “Sorry for not introducing us, I’m Park Jimin, and this is Jung Hoseok.” Hoseok glared at Jimin. “I can introduce myself, thank you very much.” He spat coldly, which he just rolled his eyes. “I already know your names, we’re in the same class.” her tone had a bit of a ‘no-duh’ remark. She pointed at me. “It’s her you would need to greet.” They both nodded at my way, which I didn’t hesitate in doing so back. “I’m Natsumi Ayumu. Nice to meet you.” I say casually. Jimin smiled, which I noticed he had a slight chubbiness to his cheeks. “Wow, you’re really pretty.” He blushed. I smiled at his compliment. Yuri slapped his hand, which he yelped. “If you try charming her, good luck. I doubt she would pay any attention to guys like you anyway.” Hoseok silently chuckled to himself, earning a glare from Jimin. Ignoring their constant eating and talking, I kept my gaze on the computer screen, figuring out what to type. I wasn’t trying to be mean, but that’s what being an introvert in my definition. Not that I wasn’t good at socializing either. I glanced at the window to see the rain stopped, and the sun was shining bright above the clear blue sky. “Sorry, you guys, but I best be getting a move on.” Yuri slid out her booth, with a curious expression. “Leaving? I thought we could go home together.” She smiled. Instead, I hugged her as a response. “Another time.” She looked at me, and nodded, knowing that whenever I’m the first to leave among a crowd, it’s just because I needed time for myself and she respected that. Jimin waved cheerily at me, while Hoseok just gave me simple nod. As I exited through the door, I looked at the window where they sat. Oddly enough, Yuri and Jimin didn’t pay attention. They talked with each other. It was Hoseok that seemed to stare at me back out. I felt frozen in place. We exchanged a quick glance before I ducked my head down, walking the other way. That was weird. I heard quick running, as I turned around and saw Hoseok, coming up to me in heaving breaths, his leather sweater hanging from his arm. I widened my eyes. “Hoseok?” I asked. He took out a cell phone, ruby red with a little flower charm dangling. “Oh. My phone.” I took it, stuffing it into my messenger bag. “Thanks.” I said. He looked down, shuffling his feet awkwardly. “No-no problem. Say, sorry about today. You seemed pretty uncomfortable back there.” I bit my lip. Man, he’s good. I never really knew that out of all things, he sensed I didn’t like being with many people. I tucked a hair behind my ear. “I’m pretty quiet, so to speak…” I murmured. He chuckled. “I wished you’d speak more. You are a pretty interesting person.” I felt my cheeks get warmer. I can tell he too was blushing, under his bangs. I gave a small smile as he looked up. “Small world, huh?” I chuckled, which he smiled warmly. “See you.” I waved, and walked away back home. There were a few things I still didn’t seem to get in travellers’ eye: why does one blush when receiving a compliment from a new stranger? I checked my phone contacts, just to make sure. Hoseok added his number in my phone.