Hold Tight

✴ Wake Up To Love! ✴

CHAPTER NINE
HOLD TIGHT

❀ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

      Morning came all too fast. A hop, skip and flash away, Jimin had walked you all the way back to your street. Taehyung was casually waiting outside your front door in uniform for school, and his face when he saw you in the condition you were in was no surprise. Taehyung has many sides to himself, and an overly-mother side that usually lasted no longer than 24 seconds exactly was one of them (he says that if he goes over 25 he won't be considered as 'manly' anymore, so he made sure each time something terrible happened, he only allowed himself to whine and rage for precisely 24 seconds). 

"What happened to the two of you? You look like you'd been stuck on some island for the night." He commented, noticing the dirt on your clothing. Jimin and you both chuckled under your breathes, you could say that again

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

     "... and that's what happened." 

"Wait, wait... So, the two of you spent a night up in the mountains alone?" 

You nodded. Taehyung's lips twisted a bit as he pushed back on his seat. "You know, you could've called me to go up there with you. I know that mountain like the back of my hand, I would've helped you find him in less than an hour if you took me." 

"Sorry, next time?" You offered suddenly. He went wide-eyed at your stupid reply, which shut you up when you realised how dumb it was too. A familiar figure suddenly bounced on the table you were sitting at, with an energy that filled the whole classroom. "Hey," he greeted. Your lips helplessly curved up, "Hi." Taehyung remained silent. 

Jimin jumped off the table and bent down towards it to be just above eye level to the two of you. "So uhh... are you feeling better now?" You nodded. The night at the mountains must've really boosted Jimin's confidence to talk to you first, which you welcomed. "Thanks, for... everything." 

"So uhh... I was wondering if you uhh... can meet me tonight at the park? We could uhh... yeah." He cut his sentence short when he admitted his total loss of words to himself. There was a skip in beat inside you, like an invisible hiccup. You agreed and it was set - a proper first 'date-like' meeting was going to happen. And this time, it was the real thing. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

     "Go enjoy yourself, my darling." 

You pushed the door open and shut it behind you before bending down to fix the strap of your shoes, standing on your front porch. It was roughly 8:00pm now and the sun had set. You didn't expect anyone to be on the streets, especially not an 18 year old boy in a green, baggy sports jacket, jogging on your road, by your house, at this time. It was so fake, you might've just fallen for it being an extremely big coincidence. 

"T-Taehyung oppa?" You rose up and twisted your head a bit, "What are you doing here, and at this time?" He looked around the dark street casually, "Can't you tell? I'm exercising." 

You blinked. There are some things that people in this world will never ever do even if there are fifty elephants pulling them to do it, and what that 'thing' was for Kim Taehyung, was exercise. Besides, his bright orange hair was gelled up at the front and sides. Boys don't gel their hair just before they prepare to get sweaty. You had to admit though, it was cute on him. 

He stopped kicking his knees high and glanced at you all dressed up for a moment. He smiled and gave you a proud nod, convincing you that he was impressed by how you looked. You rolled your eyes playfully as you walked down the steps lightly, careful not to twist your feet. Yeah, heels. The things you'd never wear even if fifty mammoths forced you too, with the exception of Park Jimin. Taehyung chuckled deeply as he noticed your clumsy walking, "Heels?" 

You stopped in front of him and glanced down at them, then back at him. "It's a special occasion." 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

     "So, are you excited?" Taehyung asked with his hands in his short pockets, strolling with you down to the park. You took a deep breath before nodding certainly, suddenly feeling mature. You stopped and turned to him. "You don't have to send me there, you know. I know the way." 

He couldn't resist a small laugh. "What?" You asked, grinning. He shook his head with amusement, "Nothing, it's like I'm your father. You don't have to come, no really, you don't." He imitated a fatherly voice that went deeper than his usual voice, which made the two of you laugh. 

"Haha, you're funny." 

"No seriously though, I kind of do feel like your father right now."

"Yeah, in what way?" 

"Well you know.... like I'm sending you off to get married." 

You slowed down your walking pace, wanting to hear his full story. "It's like, you're about to get married, and I'm your father. You come out the door and I walk you into the room, down the aisle..." he glanced down at the long road ahead, as if implying the scenery was right now, "... we hold hands, then I give you to another man, and you fall in his arms and make a promise that you'll always love each other and be there for each other. Forever being by each other's side and coming to learn more and more about one another. That king of feeling." Taehyung's voice went from amusing to genuine, and took you along with it. You felt sad, because he felt hurt. You grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly, continuing to walk along the middle of the empty road. 

"You know, without you by my side, I don't think I would've made it 'till today. We've been through thick and thin like family, and you're an irreplacable person in my life Taehyung. And even if you wanted to treat yourself as my father, though you kinda do look like him, you understand that loving family members don't break apart no matter what." 

His subtle glance became a glare when he realised you just called him old, creating more laughs. 

"Hey, do you remember the first time we met?" You asked. It was a topic you seldom brought up. He smiled in the rising moonlight and you glanced at him, noticing his adult features that had formed since the little boy you first knew who didn't even have a moustache. 

 

     "Don't, please. Please, just- just leave me alone." You begged, hiding your face behind your arms against the wall. You couldn't even move your legs due to their hold on you. "Or what? Your prince charming gonna run in and save you?" One of the older girls said, no pity in her tone as they all laughed sadisticly. The students that walked past in the corridor were all younger than you. You didn't expect them, nor want them to jump into this mess. You shut your eyes and wished for it to be over soon. "Dream on, honey. No one's gonna come grab your hand and tell you everything'll be okay. That kind of thing only happens in stories." As a mere 12 year old, their words got to you. Being a first year in high school was always rumoured to , and you began to believe it. 

"Hey! Back off!" 

You felt a tight squeeze from your left, and opened your eyes to see Taehyung. He still had black hair then, and it was short and straight like all other young boys who weren't old enough to be considered as teenagers yet. He stood beside you and bravely attempted to stare the older bullies down, failing sadly. But it didn't matter, he was fast thinking. And in that moment, he was your innocent knight. 

"3, 2, " he whispered, "1, RUN!" He grabbed your hand and pulled you out of the circle the older students formed and dashed for the door of the long corridor, looking back every few seconds to check if you were being chased. From the corridor to the yard then to the most isolated part of the school oval, he held your hand tightly, not letting go for even a single second. 

Sitting on a bench beside each other, you thanked your somewhat familiar family friend for helping you. He brushed it off cooly, unable to hide the feelings of pride he felt for himself. You looked up at Taehyung and smiled at the way his hair blew in the wind. Maybe high school wasn't going to be so bad after all. 

 

     "Ahh... the good times. I miss saving people, maybe I should take some time to roam around the streets and see how many more damsels in distress I can help." Taehyung struck a superman pose playfully, earning a light slap from you to his arm. "So it was from then, that we became best friends right?" You asked, though you already knew the answer. 

He nodded curiously, "Guess so. Wow, it's already been 6 years." 

"Out of the 13 we've known each other for." You reminded him. 

He nodded again, interested by your sudden interest in math. You glanced ahead and saw the park. This was where the road ends. 

"Oppa, we've arrived." He looked ahead and subsconsciously agreed. 

"Well, have fun. If you need anything, call me." 

"Yes abeonim!" You saluted with a deep voice, finally releasing the grip you had on his forever warm palm. He stopped sending you any further, and after a few footsteps, you turned back and gave him a bright smile. Accompanied by a last wave, you left him in the middle of the night streets once again. 

 

     Taehyung looked down at his palm that was slowly losing heat. He had always told you that when he was serious about something, he'd never let it go. If he was serious about someone, he'd never let them go. And he lived by it. 6 years ago when he grabbed you's hand, he was symbolically promising her that he'd protect her from any danger. But this time, she was the one who let him go. He stood in his spot for a moment, allowing his soul to slowly, ever so slowly, leak out its pain, hoping that it wouldn't hurt too much if he tried hard enough. The windless night sent Taehyung home alone, with only his memories left to accompany him. 

 

You felt sad, because he felt hurt. You grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly, continuing to walk along the middle of the empty road. 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: If you go back to Chapter 1 and read a few paragraphs near the middle of the page, you'll be reminded of the age you and Taehyung first met and hints of the flashback above. Please do check it out!

❀ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Hope you liked the ninth chapter!

If you did, please subscribe and leave a comment if you wish!