The Promise

✴ Wake Up To Love! ✴

CHAPTER TEN
THE PROMISE

❀ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

     You glanced back secretly to see Taehyung's figure in the distance, strolling away like the carefree human he always pretended to be. You wished him a safe walk home with a light blink before turning around to see the park gates just ahead. With a nervous grasp on your wrist, you walked into the park on the concrete path (risking high heels on unflat grass was not going to happen). 

Cr.

Butterflies began to fly around your stomache, you had no idea what to expect. You didn't even know if he was here yet. Clump, clump, clump. You really regretted wearing high heels now, the sound they made in the silence were frightening. Bup bup! You jumped back a bit, then let out a sigh when you realiseded it was your phone. 

"Walk past the see-saw and stop at the slide." - Mr. JuJu

What game was he playing... You smiled and did as told, walking in a curve around the seasaw then coming to the slide. 

"Now walk straight ahead to the end of the concrete path." 

Ay-ay cap'n! You slid your phone back into your small bag. One step to friends, two steps to happiness and three steps to eternity.

     "One step to friends, two steps to happiness, and three steps to eternity!" You chanted. Considering you were only 4 and a half, the words came out blurred together, but understandable. "And what is this again? Another song?" Your mother asked from the couch. The three mothers had gotten together to watch you, Jimin and Taehyung play on the floor for the first time. 

You shook your head, "It's how I'm going to find my future boyfriend mummy, one step and we're friends, two steps and we're a couple..." you looked at your fingers subconsciously become a 'peace sign', and showed it off proudly, "because there's two of us! And then three steps, because after we're a couple, we're gonna be together forever and ever and ever and ev..." The words 'and' and 'ever' went on for a while. Your wide smiling face attracted the attention of the two 5 year olds who sat before you. "So how do you wish your future boyfriend will be like?" Your mother asked again, amused by your creative thinking. 

     You couldn't believe your eyes. You would've heard your phone drop on the ground like in the dramas if you hadn't just put it away. Before you, were small, round candles set out on the floor. Each one lit with love and hope; 28 to be exact. They were lined up with a curve at the top, and came to meet at the bottom. It looked something like this:

Cr. 

Being lost for words, both in eyes and voice, you just stared at the candles, feeling their heat glow on your cheeks and send the flutters away. You gulped, quickly lifting your shaking eyes to find him. You needed to see him now before you won't able to hold the tears that were bound to appear in. 

"Hi," the voice you waited for finally appeared in the midst of this unpredicted night, "glad you came." He stepped out of the darkness, with the beautiful candles before his feet. You couldn't even find it in your to twist your lips shyly, they helplessly formed a smile, and you raised a hand near your mouth, still in disbelief of this dream-like, heavenly scene. Suddenly, soft music . (BG MUSIC)

"Mm, I want him to be taller than me, and be playful and funny..." 
"That's a lot of 'ands'." Taehyung jumped in with a judging tone, something he used a lot until the age of 8. 
"Why do you care?" You called back, unhappy from his interruption in your self-prided explanation. "Who said I cared?! I don't care, why would I care?! Geez..." 
You ignored him. "And he has to be good at sport or something, that way he's an active person!" Little Jimin raised an impressed eyebrow at you, "You even know what 'active' means?" 
"Yeah! It means he'll be jumpy, and playful, and talkative, and-" 
"-and annoying." Taehyung jumped in again. The other two laughed while only you puffed your cheeks up, getting fed up with the skinny kid.
"Don't you want him to be good-looking too?" Your mother asked. 
You grinned cheekily, nodding shyly. "But just a bit is enough." 
The two boys chuckled at your awkward sentence, "So out of us two, who's more good looking to you?" 
"Hmph! Of course it's Jimin! You're an evil person, and evil people are not good looking! Na-uh!" You exclaimed in Taehyung's face, though you were really lying, because deep down, deep down, you honestly felt that Taehyung was very cute and handsome. 

It's weird right? Sometimes the one you fall for isn't the best person you could have. It's like with best friends. The person you call your best friend will never be the perfect person, but they are your best friend because they are perfect with you. The same thing happened with Jimin and Taehyung. Taehyung grew up to be a great guy, it just happened that Jimin was the one who stole you heart. There are no regrets though, missing out on Taehyung just meant you were going to be even more serious towards Jimin. But let's just forget these thoughts for the moment and fall into the trap of a special awaited scene called 'Jimin's Confession'. 

     His cover of 'You're My' by Taehyung played as he took off his white cap and bravely met eyes with you. You looked at him, wearing clothes that made him look like any other normal teenager. You admired his unique fashion sense for tonight though. 

With only the candles as light, his face below his fringe was glowing of light orange. His eyes shined as they gazed at yours deeply, pulling you into this moment that belonged to only the two of you, where nothing else in the world existed. He held a small bouquet of flowers in his hands, with good posture and slight confidence in his romantic presence. 

"You look beautiful." He said with the most gentle voice that shook your heart and sent it beating a thousand times a minute. He stepped closer, then bent down on one knee, lifting the flowers before you, over the heart of candles. The flowers reflected the warm light the candles gave off. You looked at him kneeling before you, unable to move. All you could do was react with shock to his sudden actions. The whole thing was so genuine and pure, you couldn't help but feel overwhelmed. A dream was coming true, and the reason for it was right before you. 

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He continued to gaze at you. Tears worked their way up to your eyes and slowly slipped down your face as your eyes locked with his. The moment was so wonderful you didn't want to do anything but stay still, in hope that it could remain as was for eternity. But there was still something you wanted to do.

"Yeah, I will." You let out, watching him rise. His blush-worthy smile turned into a delighted chuckle, and he stepped around the candles to be by your side. You covered your mouth with one hand as tears uncontrollably fell out. Every movement, every detail that happened was utterly heart-warming. The back of your hand felt like it was drenching, until Jimin grabbed it and wiped your tears himself with his fingers, poking each drop he could spot playfully. He made you giggle at his enjoyment from poking your cheeks. You returned a light wack on him, and looked up at him looking back at you. 

"So, do you like it?" He asked, looking down at his work of art, which to him, was like winning the basketball championships of the world. You nodded, grinning. He let out a proud chuckle, smiling at the sky for a moment. "Well, I have something here which you'll like ever mo-"He froze when you layed a kiss on his cheek. You were sort of thankful for the high heels now. You pulled away and admired his stunned face, poking it like he did to you. You watched as he heavily gulped and looked down to his shoes, blank-minded and shy.

"Thanks Jimin, this was the best," you smiled. This brang him back to life, and he spun you around so your backed faced him. "Don't thank me just yet, there's still more to come." 

"Come on, what else now?" You chuckled, your voice finally beginning to return to its normal pitch. 

He let out a big breath and took out what he had prepared. "you-ah, listen closely. I've liked you for a long time, and last night when I was thinking about it, I felt so lame for being so shy to do anything about it until now. I know now though, I want to be that guy in your life who will be by your side all the time, and keep you safe. I want to do everything I can to make you happy. I want to dedicate my efforts to you- to us, in hopes that one day, we can hold hands on 'till forever. And here's my promise." 

A small shine flashed before your eyes as he lifted something over your head, wrapping it around your neck and locking it at the back. You ran your fingers over it and felt a rush of unexplainable feelings. That day in the mountains, he hadn't only found you, he also found the necklace. You spun around, gazed at him passionately before jumping into him for a tight hug. He rested his head on your shoulder and wrapped his arms around you, hugging you back. While glancing up at the stars to stop anymore tears from falling, you smiled. "You know, this is probably the most romantic night I've ever had. It's the best." 

He chuckled, "You already said that, so unoriginal." 

You wacked his back a bit harder this time before pulling away from the warm hug. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

     "Damn, this is actually real." You said as your eyes wandered the stars again. "What?"

"I mean, you know. This... Us... I never really imagined this day would really happen." You fell into a deep mood and he stayed silent to listen to you. "I'm one of those girls who spent their time hugging their pillow as they imagined the places they could go with their future boyfriends and the things they could do together. Usually scenes in our minds are really exaggerated, because we don't believe they'll happen in reality, so we let them be. But tonight, a dream-like scene happened." 

Jimin scooted closer to you across the bench and laid his hand on top of yours. "You say that, but you're really cool about the whole thing. You're not jumping up and down with joy like in the dramas." 

"That happens when we get home." You informed him, smiling. Jimin smiled and leaned in closer, pushing his face forward towards yours. His eyes were on your lips, and he was about to make contact with them. "Stop!" You put your palm over his mouth. He made puppy eyes at you. "No, not happening!" 

"Fine, make me wait then." He whined cutely, dropping his chin over his knuckles. 

"Come on, we've only just started. We've still got ages to go. Starting today, I'm yours and you're mine." You grabbed his hand and squeezed it. He put an arm around you and pulled you close to him, where you rested your head on his shoulder. 

"That sounds nice." He said, and you both talked and listened to warm music while admiring the stars, all the way until sunrise. 

 

Usually scenes in our minds are really exaggerated, because we don't believe they'll happen in reality, so we let them be. But tonight, a dream-like scene happened.

 

❀ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Hope you liked the tenth and last chapter!

If you did, please subscribe and leave a comment if you wish!