Avoiding Him

✴ Wake Up To Love! ✴

CHAPTER ONE
AVOIDING HIM

❀ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

      “Yah, Kim Taehyung! How many times do I have to tell you?! Stop staring at my timetable, I don’t need you following me everywhere.” You snatched your diary back from the dark-orange haired male. “Who said I was going to follow you? I just wanted to see if we were in the same class next period.” He leaned back on his seat for a moment as he stretched his legs.

The few seconds of silence around the cafeteria table was interrupted by the scent of flutters, and the sound of promising enjoyment to come. “Hey, what do you guys have next?” You both looked up to greet the swift-feeted person who presented himself suddenly, before one of you put your head down again. Just a clue, it wasn’t Taehyung.

“Hey Jimin.” They clapped hands and after, you and Jimin shared a shy “Hi”. He gripped the edges of the round table with style to show his light muscles, which honestly - you didn’t really have much interest in, and tried to start a conversation that wouldn’t end in awkward departures. “We’ve got Physics, you’s got Biology.” Taehyung, or V, as he’s also known, replied to Jimin’s opening question.

As they glanced lightly at each other you just looked at him – not deeply, but enough for him to know that you were interested in his facial expressions – so he smiled a lot to show the cute way his eyes became when he did. They made you blush and look down to hide your smile, of which every time you knew he’d take the chance to look at you too. That was the process – you’d glance at each other from far away, look for one another in big crowds, wait at the lockers for each other to turn up, then time by time, have a light conversation. Taehyung was friends with him. They have a whole group, called Bulletproof Boy Scouts, or Bangtan Boys for short – sounds really cute right? They had a hobby of performing songs at school occasions and each free weekend night they had at dance clubs. You go to watch sometimes. The amount of pictures of Park Jimin you have locked in your phone is embarrassing to show.

He likes you too, you think. There has to be a reason why you always glance at each other whenever you see each other in the massive school, right? Oh, it’s also been about six months – more or less. It was about three months ago that you finally started getting closer to each other. Not full on conversations yet, just, closer – distance wise. His friends seem to know that you constantly stare at him, then turn away when he looks back, so they started talking to you more than usual, maybe to make you feel more comfortable with them. You thought it was kind.

Only, there’s another problem.

Kim Taehyung seems to have a crush on you too.

He’s never told you to your face, of course. But he makes it quite obvious. It’s only recently that he’s been giving you this feeling though. You’ve known each other since you were 5, but only became close in year seven. That story will come later. It’s a sweet one.

But even though you’ve been best friends for so long, he hasn’t really tried to push himself in front of you as much as you’ve noticed he has for the past two months. If other guys, even your other close guy friends talk to you, he’ll always be standing close, pretending to do his own things, but always giving the boy silent glares. He also waits at the lockers for you even if pretty much everyone else has left to class, just so he can see you rush back in and grab your books. There’s an increase in staring too. If you’re talking, he’ll stare at you. And not just any stare, an intense stare which to him looks innocent enough to trick everyone.

It’s… kind of annoying and a bit creepy. But you’re best friends, which makes it even more weirder. You have noticed one thing though, and that’s that when it’s just the two of you, he’s the same kid you’ve known for 5 years. You’ve been conflicted secretly about how to deal with it. He makes it obvious enough that he desperately wants your attention and care 24/7, but in giving it you’re worried he would take it the wrong way. There is a fact that is always on your side, however, and that is that Kim Taehyung knows that you have an extreme liking to Park Jimin. He knew from the start, not because you told him, but because he’s observant. Observant of what you’re doing whenever you’re in his viewing range. Your every expression, your every step, he became familiar with them.

Is that creepy? You know he’s a good kid, which is why you came to the simple conclusion that he just has unique ways of learning about people.

You have friends besides him, one of which you’ve told your problems to without being specific. You simply said: “I have a problem. I need to make someone unlike me.” She raised her eyebrows at you at the time, and reassured that you weren’t dumb despite your innocent looks when you raised the possibility that your friend doesn’t feel any wrong with sticking by you all day because you act as if you don’t know how he feels.

Pfft, it when the guy you like is friends with a guy who likes you. Why? Because if you go up to them, the one you want to talk to becomes shy and stays quiet, while the one who likes you speaks loudly and steals all the attention. When you eventually leave everyone at the scene thinks you have a thing for the friend that likes you because you politely laughed at his lame joke.  

Oh well. All this worrying doesn’t really help, or matter anyway if he never confesses directly to you that he likes you more than a best friend, correct? Therefore, until that day comes, you can just continue being friends, and if that day ever comes – break it to him straight-forwardly that you don’t like him. Don’t be polite and say fancy words to imply your meaning, because he knows who you like anyway. He knows you like someone else, he’d be able to accept it.

You are sometimes curious if Jimin ever talks about you with the Bangtan Boys. Taehyung would hear all of it, and it makes you wonder that if he didn’t have a crush on you, whether or not he’d tell you what the group has said.

After school Taehyung and you walked home together as usual, and you reminded him briefly that over the weekend you were going with Jimin’s family to a resort to celebrate the New Year. Two days, one night. Your family was friends with Jimin’s; Taehyung’s too.

Explanations can end here before they become long. The only things filling your head, heart and mind are when and how you’re going to tell Jimin your feelings for him. A starlit night with warmth from the reunion of families, the beautiful occasion and large lanterns that carry hope into the sky – sounds like a good time to confess.

 

Your every expression, your every step, he became familiar with them.

 

❀ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Hope you liked the first chapter!

If you did, please subscribe and leave a comment if you wish!