Ch.5

Primal Isle

"Leave it to Lay to be able to fall asleep at anywhere, anytime and on anything." MinSeok mumbled in a amusement as he stared at YiXing whom was fast asleep on ChanYeol's back, his face lay flat in between the younger's shoulder blades, mouth slightly ajar as soft snoring could be heard from him. MinSeok turned his attention to ChanYeol and said, "ChanYeol, do you want me to carry him for a while? You look pretty tired."

ChanYeol smiled and shook his head while he carefully adjusted Lay on his back, making sure not to wake him. "No I got him for now." He sniffed and sighed before gazing up towards the canopy. "It's hot though, I'm thirsty."

"Me too." MinSeok agreed as he ducked to avoid being hit in the face by a low branch. "I hope we find a water source soon." 

After that, the two walked in silence. The only sound is that of their feet trampling through the sloppy wet moss and over dead logs and bushes. It was such a hellish walk.

"Hey Hyung, look!" ChanYeol pointed out through a thin clearing of trees towards a building out in the distance below them. MinSeok could hear the hope in the younger's tone. "It doesn't look too far from here, maybe we should go check it out and see if anyone's there."

"Can't hurt." MinSeok shrugged before walking ahead, pushing passed branches and walking down the slope.

Although it was hidden amongst lush rain-forest trees, the partially moss-covered construct stuck out amongst the trees like a sore thumb. Its presence an ever present reminder of the island's unnatural origins. 

The structure had two main buildings with several smaller structures surrounding it. Six tall black tinted windows, three on either side, spanned the building's facade. The top of the building had three thatched, tiki-hut styled roofs with a larger one in the center to house the main entrance hall. The now mossy, vine covered exterior of the building was made of concrete that seemed to curve inwards. The lower front section, decorated with overgrown foliage on either side. It too followed the same convex curve before splitting in half between stairs on the right and a ramp on the left, both which led up to the main entrance double door.

Together, they walked up the moss-grown steps and pushed open the door before cautiously entering the abandoned building.  

Inside was the main entrance hall leading off to different parts of the building. The hall was made of limestone with wood edges and the floor was laid with dust black marble. There was a rusted staircase leading to the balcony walkway and above that were glass windows covered in grime, dead leaves and vines, casting scattered streams of light into the main lobby below. The middle of the hall showed two destroyed dinosaur skeletons replicas, pieces of the artifacts littered the floor.

"Hello! Anyone here?" ChanYeol boomed in his naturally deep ringing voice. The two waited for a sound, a movement or something to let them know someone was here. He sighed as he adjusted YiXing higher up on his back, "Guess no one's here." The two stepped deeper into the lobby, their eyes tracing over the ruined place in fascination. What the hell was this place?

As ChanYeol wondered down a corridor, MinSeok walked towards the stairs, his curiosity building on the want to explore what was up on the second floor. Resting his hands on the rusted guardrail, he took a tentative step, the stair groaning under the weight of his right foot. He placed his left on the second step before slowly ascending the steps. He suddenly felt apprehensive. Like there was something else here with them. 

"Hey Hyung! There's a kitchen down this way!"  ChanYeol's voice called to him from below startling him.

Stepping off the stairs, MinSeok followed in the direction where he had seen ChanYeol head off too. He had passed by what looked to be a gift shop before coming to stand in a dusty cafeteria. The place apparently still had enough energy to have lights which gave MinSeok the ability to see that the walls were lined with shredded and dusty artwork of dinosaurs. Some of the tables and chairs were overturned and dirty from the amount of dust covered with cobwebs.

He noticed YiXing sitting in one of the chairs, eyes still drowsy with sleep. The other looked up at him and smiled, "ChanYeol's in the kitchen trying to find something to eat."

"How's your ankle?" MinSeok inquired taking a seat next to YiXing. 

"It's doing." YiXing sighed, his shoulder's deflating and a look of sadness seemed to cast over his face. "Hey Hyung, I'm sorry for being such a burden to you guys. If I wasn't so accident prone, you wouldn't-"

MinSeok rested a hand on the younger's shoulder, "Listen YiXing, you're not a burden so no need to apologize. After a plane crash like that, we're glad all you managed was a sprained ankle. Hell, things could've been a lot worse."

"I know, but I feel like I'm-"

"Welp! There isn't much, but I managed to find some bottled water. Don't know how long it's been here, but I'm pretty sure contained water can't go bad, right?" ChanYeol announced holding up the three bottles of water in his hands. He placed two on the table before cracking the remaining one open and gulping it down.

"Is it...is it good?" YiXing scrunched his nose in mild disgust.

ChanYeol pulled the bottle from his lips and shrugged. "Good enough to clench my thirst? Yep!" He chuckled, it's contagious sound making the other chuckle too before he pointed behind him back towards the kitchen. "I also found some canned foods on some shelfs and spoiled food in the freezers. Don't know if those are good though, but we can try and see. I mean, at this point food is food who knows how long before-

The three was startled by the sound of the front lobby door swinging open. The three looked at one another before MinSeok stood up and began walking over to the swinging doors. "Hello? Anyone there?" He called out before hearing shoes running in their direction. Someone was here to rescue them! Quickly, he hurried to the door-

MinSeok found himself on his back, the collision with whatever hit him knocking him to the ground and taking his breath out of his lungs. He felt the thing he collided with scramble off him, its hands adding pressure all over his chest. With the help of ChanYeol, he stood slowly, alarmed by the sudden crash. The man scrambled to his feet, his eyes wide and darted around in panic, his breath irregular, face pale. "Hide...quick!" 

"What?" ChanYeol scrunched his face as he tried to decipher what the man said. "What's he saying?"

MinSeok shrugged before scanning the man's appearance and taking notice that the man's palms were decorated with short slashes and his right shirt sleeve was shredded revealing his shoulder blade which was torn, dislocated and coated in oozing fresh blood. MinSeok pointed at it. "Your arm. Are you-"

The man shook his head. "Forget it! Just hide! They're-" A series of soft hissing and growling filled the compound as what sounded like heels clacking against the marble floor began stalking towards them. The man tossed a quick glance behind him before pushing past the two and darting off inside the kitchen.

ChanYeol watched the man run off before looking at MinSeok. "What do we do Hyung? Do we follow?"

The hissing began to amplify as whatever it was drew nearer. They could tell that whatever it was was out there definietly wasn't human.

"Grab YiXing, quick." Not wasting anymore time, MinSeok and ChanYeol grabbed YiXing and hurried to the industrial kitchen. Quickly, the three huddled into the giant freezer. Where the man had hidden himself was anyone's guess. While MinSeok placed YiXing on the floor, ChanYeol closed the massive steel door leaving just a small crack to peek out of. He brought a finger to his lips before peeping out into the kitchen through the crease. MinSeok mimicked the action underneath him. 

The minutes seemed to tick by slowly while the two waited anxiously for the thing that was chasing the man to enter the kitchen. ChanYeol felt his heart thump so violently against his chest he thought for sure he was about to have a heart attack.

Suddenly, the door swung open and the two paled at the sight before them.

Entering the kitchen were two reptilian like beings. 

Standing as tall as ChanYeol, the two stood on two very muscled hind-legs, their feet equipped with four clawed toes on each foot, the middle being larger and sharper than any knife. Their long and flat heads were supported on a thick neck, which was covered by a thinly stretched layer of pebbled dark mossy brown skin. It's two forearms held tightly to its chest, claws dangling in the air menacingly. 

The two paused at the entrance of the kitchen and peered around cautiously. Then one stood tall and sniffed the air before growling, it's lips pulling back into a peril snarl giving show to the sharp top row of their teeth. 

MinSeok wasn't sure if it had caught their scent or the man's blood. Maybe both.

They were alert now. Walking forward steadily, their heads moving in bird like jerks. From time to time one would bend over and lower its head to the ground looking under tables.

MinSeok turned away from the horrific sight and pressed his back against the wall. This wasn't happening....This couldn't be happening. He looked up in time to see see one of the animals jerk its head up and look directly at him. He froze and ChanYeol hissed a low curse. Surely the thing hadn't seen them. Did it? 

They continued to watch as it threw its head back and yawned silently before shaking its head and proceeding on its search.

Releasing the breath he didn't know he was holding, MinSeok turned away to find an escape route. He'll be damned if he or the others were going to be eaten. YiXing was staring at him with worry and curiosity. The younger most likely waiting for an explanation. An explanation he didn't have. Because really, how could he explain that there are living dinosaurs stalking them?

MinSeok jumped at the tap to his left shoulder. Turning, he looked to see ChanYeol pointing up. Following the younger's finger, he found that the other was pointing to one of the ceiling tiles that had come a loose revealing a small opening. He looked back to ChanYeol who pointed to himself then back to the ceiling before gesturing what looked to be pushing up against something. It took him awhile to realize that ChanYeol was telling him that they could escape through the roof. As ridiculous as it sounded, MinSeok was going to agree due to it being the only and best idea of escape they've got.

MinSeok nodded and switched places with ChanYeol. How the younger managed to look and stay so calm was beyond him. 

He watched as the younger carefully and as quietly as possible climbed atop of one of the rustic wired five shelved units. Careful not to knock over the pots and pans resting on it.

There was a loud bang somewhere near them. And for a moment, no one moved or even breathed. The hell was that? Silence filled the small abandoned kitchen a sign the dinosaurs had heard it. A low graw sound rumbled through the kitchen as the slow stalking sound of clawed feet drew near.

Taking a deep breath, MinSeok peeked out the crack, the creatures were sniffing by the tables, tails raised and heads low to the ground while they sniffed and the pot the caused the ruckus. He caught movement in his right perifial. Tilting his head, he saw the man, whom was hidden in one of the ovens, get ready to launch a ladle in their direction. He felt his heart jump in his throat as he realized the man was trying to lure the things way from himself and towards them. MinSeok glanced back towards ChanYeol who had just managed to slide the tile fully to the side. He prayed for the younger to hurry, they didn't have much-

One of the beast let out a high pitched whistled shrill. MinSeok's felt his blood run cold at the sound. They had been found. It was over for them, it was coming and-

There was another scream. This one sounding slightly more human.

Turning around, MinSeok watched with disbelieving eyes as it sank its teeth into the man's arm and pulled him from the oven, tossing him to the ground like a rag doll. The man kicked and screamed and at one point managed to scramble to his feet and run. However, just as quickly as he did he was knocked back to the ground by the second one. It's giant claw sinking into his back paralyzing him.

As the man screamed, the two animals stared down at him cocking their heads to the sides quizzically before communicating with one another in short sharp grunts. It were almost as if they were discussing who should get to kill him first. 

That thought terrified MinSeok to no end. 

A low growl emitting in the back of one's throat before it lowered it's head and with a sickening crunch, silenced the man's screams.

MinSeok felt bile rise in his throat as the sound of teeth crunching and breaking bone, flesh being ripped away in chunks, and fresh blood and hungry growls clung to the humid air. Each sound and smell seeming to engrave itself into his brain to replay over and over again never to be erased no matter the years.

He looked back at ChanYeol to find the youngest of the three helping the injured YiXing climb onto the wired shelf before entering into the opened square himself.

Just as MinSeok stood to walk over to the wired shelf, ChanYeol lost his footing and slipped sending pots and pans toppling to the ground in a loud clashing metal heap. "!" ChanYeol hissed as he picked himself back up and hoisted himself into the air-vent. He outstretched his hand out for MinSeok. "Come on MinSeok Hyung! Quick!" 

Not linguering around, MinSeok rushed over to the shelf and threw himself at the shelf. ing his hand out, he clasped his hand with ChanYeol's and allowed the younger to help pull him up.

He had just managed to get his torso into the hole when the freezer door burst open and the two beasts rushed in. Blood stained teeth barred. Seeing MinSeok's dangled legs, one ran towards him and jumped at the dangling leg only to crash into the rusty metal. It hissed in dissatisfaction as it picked itself off the ground and gave a shake of its head. "Sorry Hyung. God, that was stupid. Stupid." ChanYeol chastisted himself. 

MinSeok slumped against the metal, grimacing at the noise it made from his weight. "It's fine. I'm still in one piece." Strangely, he felt exhilarated and giddy almost as if he were getting a thrill out of almost being caught by those things. Talk about an adrenaline rush. 

The group grew quiet leaving only the agitated snarling and growling of the creatures below to echo through the vents causing them to sound even more malicious and loud. "Guys..." YiXing mummers after a moment, "what are those things?" 

The three glanced down their only escape hole and into the beady emotionless eyes of those monsters. Their snouts stained red with blood as they continued to snarl and growl in anger. "No idea." ChanYeol shrugged, "But they kind of look like...dinosaurs?" He felt silly saying such a thing because that just wasn't possible right? Surely there was no way for such creatures to still be alive...

...Right?

MinSeok nudged ChanYeol and pointed down the left air shaft.  "Come on, let's...let's find another way out of here."