Ch.10

Primal Isle

The area SeHun was currently walking in had gotten increasingly harder for him to travel through. The underbrush was rough, and dotted heavily with ferns and other low-lying vegetation. He had to zig-zag through for a while to avoid anything he might have to climb in risk of his injury which had him completely abandoning the idea of walking in a straight line. The only good thing about this was that the area was shadier due to the cluster branches high in the canopy causing it to be much cooler. 

He had no idea how long he had been walking. Time just seemed very irrelevant to him especially since he had nowhere to go. Despite that, he continued to trek on as he listening to every sound swarming around him. From the leaves crunching under his shoes along with the occasional wet smack from stepping in a puddle of mud to the unfamiliar callings that travelled across distances. He had to be cautious. Overly cautious. It was really the only thing keeping him alive right now. 

He noticed movement out of the corner of his eye making him to halt in step. His stomach fluttered in trepidation. He looked up in time to see a tail hovering above him. It was pebbled like the ones from yesterday only with green and brown stripes as the color sequence. He choked on air as he felt his stomach drop and the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end. This couldn't be happening.

Abruptly, the head of the creature rose from the ground. It had horns above its eyes and one on its nose. Its snout was covered in blood as were its thin blade-like teeth which had fresh flesh hanging from it's jaws. Obviously having been feasting on a kill. 

It lifted its head high in the air and began sniffing the air. SeHun can see clear mucus oozing out of wiggling nostrils as it inhaled the air. He dropped quietly to his stomach, hoping he hadn't been spotted as it turned in his direction and growled maliciously. 

He crawled under a bush, groaning as mud and dirt soaked through his shirt and coat his skin. His heart pounded in his ears and he was sure the dinosaur could hear it too. He jumped as a giant scaled strong and muscular with three toed foot slammed down in front of him. Thick sharp claws dug into the mud causing it to rise.

There is a low rumbling growl above him. SeHun watched through his hair as the thing snuffs above him, its hot putrid breath blasts through his hair making him gag. He clamped his eyes shut. He was sure the thing could smell the dried and fresh blood encrusting his bandaged wound. It knew he was injured and weak and at any moment, it was going to rip through the bushes and-

A roar resonated from somewhere behind him. The sound is so loud and deep it made his ears ring and throb painfully. 

SeHun snapped his head to the right just in time to see another beast making its way towards him and the other beast. This one was slightly bigger and longer than the other by a couple of feet. It's arms are longer and it's head was slightly narrower with eye ridges hooding over the eyes. Its skin was grey in color with black specks littering its back. A ice-cold terror slithered down SeHun's back.

The one in front of him, the green predator bellows out a roar of his own as it stood in a defensive stance. The two carnivores growled and stared each other down. SeHun didn't dare move afraid they would somehow see it and go for him instead.

The Green one charged first. The ground shook in anger and the primitive instinct to kill. The sound of the fight was loud and terrifying as both dinosaurs growled and tore into one another. Their sharp teeth sinking into any place they felt did harm.

For a moment, SeHun lied there in complete and utter shock as he tried to deny what he was seeing. His body refused to take off and get away from the danger. He wanted to keep watching just to see what would transpire. To see which one would be the last one standing. With a growl, the grey one lashed out with it's long arms and raked its claws along the green one's face and shoulder creating three gashes and earning a pained angry roar. It staggered towards SeHun causing him to roll out the way. A gush of air passed by him as a foot came down on the spot where he had just been lying. SeHun stared at the now torn and crumpled bush, adrenaline pumping. 

He needed to start moving or he's dead.

Shaking it's head, the green predator regained its footing before retaliating by butting it's head into the grey one's chest sending it into a nearby tree with a loud, dull thump. It grumbled as it sank it's teeth into the grey predator's shoulder, shaking it's head as it tried to rip flesh.

Still hidden, SeHun started to crawl through the underbrush of near by bushes wincing as rocks dug into his hands, knees and sides trying to get away. Above him, he can hear the fight becoming even more violent and far too dangerous for him to keep crawling along the ground cover. It didn't take him long to make the decision of picking himself up and making a run for it.

He makes it only a few feet before the grey one takes notice of him. He skidded to a stop and stares into the beady eyes of the carnivore their eyes locked. It lunges, it's mouth open wide only to bellow in pain when the green one takes a giant chunk out of the his thigh. Angry, the grey carnivore wraps its jaws around the green one's neck and throws it to the ground.

SeHun pressed himself flat against a tree and observed in a mixture of fear and awe as the green one crashes to the ground inches away next to him. Their eyes lock once more.

It kicked its legs in effort to stand; however, the grey carnivore stood over the fallen one and with parted jaws, sunk its teeth into the green one's neck crushing bone with a sickening crunch.

Cringing from the sound, SeHun watched as the dying carnivore let out a straggled cry before becoming still. He gagged when the grey carnivore tore into the neck and snatched its head back, sending specks of blood into the air as flesh hung from its mouth. He continued to stare at the gaping wound for a moment before he moved furtively behind another tree where he then took his chance to sprint off into forest. Never once looking back.

Behind him, he could hear the grey one give a roar of victory.


-----

SeHun continued running albeit clumsily. Pushing aside ferns and low hanging branches all while dodging through dense shrubs and trees. His stomach was cramping, his chest stung and his thighs burned yet he didn't stop running. Despite having put distance between himself and the dinosaur, he still felt like it would come after him. 

Rounding a tree, he hadn't seen the quick drop behind it and ended up tumbling down an embankment. He curses as his body slams violently against rocks. A twig nicked him across the cheek just before he lands painfully on his back in the dirt. Hissing in pain, he clenched his eyes shut and he curled himself into the fetal position as he wrapped shaky hands tightly around his stomach trying to will the pain in his side away.

SeHun had no idea what to do anymore. He never hated his life as much as he did in this moment and although he didn’t want to die, he was beginning to see it as the only way to salvation. He was just so tired of running and hiding. He just wanted to be home. He really wished that this was just a horrible nightmare and that once he woke up he would be back at the dorms ready to go do a photoshoot or music video.

It made his heart ache painfully and tears burn his eyes at the fact that he would never get to see his family again. He could only hope his band members were okay and that they're were at least safe and out of harms way. He hoped that they were at least worried about him, it would give him a bit of comfort if he knew they were thinking about him like he was of them. He then decided that he might as well say a quick prayer that if he died he just wanted to go quickly and as painlessly as possible.

After a minute, SeHun wearily pulled his tired body up into a sitting position and sat there sniffling. His heart felt ready to explode, his legs convulsed painfully from all the running and his side was screaming in agony. He wiped the tears from his eyes and the dirt off his hands with the hem of his tank top before giving himself a once over. His jeans are ripped and dulled with green moss stains and dirt. Scrapes, scratches and bruises covered his arms and hands. The blood from his wound had now soaked through the makeshift bandage and stained his tank top and button up shirt which was tattered with a few buttons missing. He looked like hell.

He looked around the temperate rainforest to find that he had landed on the fair grounds of some sort of compound. The area was littered with old overturned, rusted broken down trailers and a few abandoned cars. Mud decorated the broken windshields and headlights while glass lay scattered inside of the cars. Hoods and roofs were all completely smashed and dented.

Straight ahead passed the wrecked cars was an ominous looking building. The roof was heavily damaged and mangled, its outer concrete walls that were once strong and sturdy were now weak and crumbling with moss and kudzu plant coating their surface. Some of the windows were either broken or scratched, the stairway leading up to the building entrance was rugged and eroded with weeds growing in between the cracks.

SeHun made the notion to move only to hesitate. Anxiety being the one holding him back. He wanted to go in and rest yet at the same time he felt frightened and unsure there could be something inside waiting to ambush him and....he shrugged the thought aside he was more at risk out here than inside. 

Exhaling the breath he hadn't realized he had been holding, he stood, faltering slightly on his feeble legs. He glanced around for any movement or any noise that could possibly kill him. Not detecting anything slowly limped across the grounds towards the large rusted steel door. All while still keeping a sharp eye out. 

He only hoped he had found something beneficial to him for the first time he's been here. 

Once he came to the base of the steps leading up to the building, SeHun stopped and looked up. Up close it looked ominous. The windows that were unbroken were far too filthy for him to see through to check for danger.

Walking up the steps, he raised a hand and rested it against the rusted door handle before pulling it open, slightly relieved yet apprehensive that it opened up with ease. He gave a sharp intake as stepped inside. Closing the door as quietly as he could so he didn't attract attention to himself if there happened to be something in there.

The inside was quite small. Heavy layers of debris, dust, dried animal feces and dead leaves littered the cracked tile floor as holes in the roof allowed specks of light in. The walls were dirty and chipped with the wallpaper and paint peeling off its surface. Scattered chairs, couches and coffee tables lay overturned and crusted with brown mold. Straight ahead was possibly a reception counter that now had fungi growing where papers once lied in a stack. 

Heedfully, he walked around the counter and into a hallway that seemed to curve further down. Slowly, he continued on, his fingers ghosting along the wall for assistance. Hitting a second curvature, he found an vending machine lying over its side with the glass broken out and candy squandering the floor. From what SeHun could tell, the wrappers were still in tact albeit a bit crumpled and trampled. On the opposite side of the wall was a water fountain. It was holding its own despite all the dents, dust and grime growing on it. He hurried over, his lips suddenly feeling chapped and mouth dry from the lack of fluid in his body. He pushed down on the button only to have it dispense out air. He scoffed. Figures.

Turning back towards the fallen machine, he leaned against the fountain and stared at the scattered candy lying on the ground indecisively. His stomach was rumbling at the sight and his mouth clenched at the desire to taste something. He was so hungry. He wasn't sure if there was an expiration date on chocolate, but at this point he really couldn't be picky especially seeing as he hadn't eaten since he had crashed on this forsaken island. However, eating the sugar would increase his thirst and he didn't know how long it would be until he would find water or anything drinkable. So what should he do?

" it." SeHun grumbled bending over with a pained groan and picking up one of the chocolates. He was starving. The chocolate was soft to the touch due to being out in the warm air for God knows how long. He stared at the candy bar reluctantly before tearing into the wrapper with his teeth. The flesh of the chocolate was mottled in white-gray and looked very off-putting. At first he hesitated unsure if it was safe; however, the final rumble off his stomach had him sinking his teeth into the soft spotted flesh and nearly at the succulent taste coating his taste buds.

SeHun hadn't realized he had devoured the chocolate bar quickly until he was the melted remnants off the wrapper. He picked up a second candy to start on before stuffing some more candy (this time from inside the vending machine) into his pocket and continuing on down the hallway where a staircase stood. It was rusted and seemed about ready to give out with even the smallest weight. He stared at the staircase wondering if someone or something was up there. Waiting. 

It was curiosity that made him grip the rusted railing and take a step. The stairs groaned under his feet and he froze. He prayed that they didn't give out on him, he had had enough of falling for one day. Releasing the breath he was holding, he took another step up.

Making it to the top of the stairs and turning a corner, he found himself on a catwalk overlooking what looked to be a laboratory of some kind. There were two long rows of many incubators with dried hay and broken eggs lying within them. Giant and rusted robotic arms hung stalled from banners and large tubes with thick murky green liquid held tiny rotten dinosaur-like creatures while others were broken. 

He saw another staircase leading down into the production floor; however, he decided against going for he didn't want to push his luck with the stairs nor was he up to seeing extinct creatures in tubes. He had had enough of the live ones. Instead, he wondered into an office room that was filled with toppled desks, file cabinets and chairs. Computer monitors lay helplessly feet away molded and fissured. Vines intruded in from cracked walls, ceilings and windows as plants sprouted from the few rips in the carpet.

Shutting the entrance door securely and pushing a desk in front of it for added measure, SeHun slumped against the desk and slid to the floor, the action causing dust to rise from the ground. He pressed his back against the cool metal of the desk and tilted his head allowing his eyes to drift around the room, up towards the ceiling, and then back down again, fixating on the minor cracks and broken glass. His thoughts drifting.

Quite soon, he felt himself becoming drowsy and before he knew it, sleep had gripped a hold of him tightly and pulled him in deep.