Ch.8

Primal Isle

MinSeok awoke abruptly to his heart racing rapidly in his chest and the sudden sense of persistent fear binding him tightly in a taunt grip. Motionless, he stared into the pale dawn light trying to give his heart time to settle itself all the while trying to get his eyes to adjust to the morning haze surrounding him. The light looked beautiful as it nudged its way into the room. A serene sense of calm enveloped him as the smell of fresh dew filled his nose.

He wondered how long had he been asleep? He furrowed his brows recalling that it had been slightly after dusk when he had shut his eyes so...He sighed it was so hard to keep track of time without a clock.

It was then MinSeok heard what sounded like rustling paper followed by soft whispers and a deep chuckle coming from behind him. Looking over his shoulder, he found a smiling ChanYeol whom was sitting cross-legged before YiXing with the latter's injured ankle resting gingerly in his hands while ChanYeol wrapped it in an ace bandage. A first-aid kit lay open next to ChanYeol as did aluminum cans of some sort.

Sitting upright and he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, he felt something.  daintily slid down his shoulders sending the chilly morning air rushing over his arms causing goosebumps to appear on his skin. He glanced down taking notice of a squalid doctor jacket pooled around him which was apparently used to keep him warm during the night. He figured ChanYeol had placed it there.

Standing, MinSeok trudged over to the other two males and took a seat next to ChanYeol. Looking up from his can of beans, YiXing was the first to acknowledge his presence with a tired dimpled grin. MinSeok can't help, but notice the five o'clock shadow YiXing was developing. "Hey Hyung, did you sleep well?"

"Hm, I slept alright." MinSeok returned the other's smile as he stretched, groaning in content when he heard his spine pop and felt his muscles relax almost instantaneously. "How about you?"

"As good as one can given the situation." YiXing shrugged placing his half-eaten can of beans to the side, "I was really hoping this was just a realistic nightmare when I woke up, but...no such luck."

MinSeok made a noise that expressed he agreed. The other two looked like they had been through hell and back (he was sure he looked the same). Exhaustion presented itself in dark circles under their eyes, their skin had become cadaverous and littered with acne from the lack of care. Their clothes were dingy and their hair was now caked in layers of dirt, sweat and dust from the air vents. He glanced down at YiXing's almost fully bandaged ankle. "How's your ankle? Feeling any better?"

"Yeah." YiXing nods watching as ChanYeol secures the bandage. "ChanYeol's just bandaging it to help-you know-further the healing process."  

"Alright, done. Just be careful with that ankle." ChanYeol mummers while placing YiXing's leg in his lap before turning his attention to MinSeok. "Hey Hyung, glad you're up." He grins grabbing an open can that stands next to his knee and holds it out for MinSeok to take. "I went snooping around while you two were asleep and I managed to dig up a first aid-kit and some canned beans. I don't know if food in cans can live passed their expiration date, but it's all we have to eat and it still tastes pretty good so..."

"No, I understand. Thanks." MinSeok replied taking the can and rotating it around in his hands undecidedly. Unsure if he wanted to risk eating something that could be expired. It took the sound of a feeble grumble from his stomach to make him realize that he couldn't be picky in the situation at hand. Beggars can't be choosers. It wasn't a warm meal like he wanted or even a can of sweetened red beans or black beans in soy sauce like he's used to, but it'll have to do.

So with a sigh, he took hold of the metal spoon in the container and scooped some out before putting it into his mouth. He scrunched his nose at the texture. The beans' dry mushy texture and the cold slimy gelatin sauce was foreign on his tongue. The only thing making it remotely tolerable is the hint of sweetness and subtle smoked bacon flavor. Swallowing that down with much effort, he began scrapping the side of the can for a second spoon full. "So...does anyone know a way to the emergency bunker?"

"Ah...uh..." ChanYeol shifted uncomfortably as he cleared his throat and shook his head. "No. I-uh-sorta fell asleep after I came back from looking around." He chuckles sheepishly, "Sorry Hyung. I know I said I'd keep watch, but-"

"No no you're fine. It's fine. I was just curious." MinSeok pulls his lips into a grin as he replies, "But I'm glad you went to sleep though, you needed the rest." ChanYeol smiles back. MinSeok had always been understanding.

The three sit in silence since there really wasn't much to talk about. The only sounds are that of MinSeok's spoon occasionally scrapping the ridges inside of the aluminum can and the birds chirping high in the trees. Their song is seen as a good sign because it's when things get quiet that they had to be cautious. 

While MinSeok and YiXing lose themselves in their thoughts, ChanYeol occupies himself by looking for a route to the emergency bunker. He stares intently allowing his gaze to trace invisible lines from what YiXing pointed out as their current location to their desired destination. Every possible route leads them to going outside the main building and around the building, which waste time especially considering they have no clue what lives around this place. Maybe they could-

"Guys..." Both MinSeok and ChanYeol turned their attention to YiXing, whom was staring straight ahead at one of the grime covered windows that was littered with flecks of light. "Something just ran passed the window." 

The other two halted their movements and held their breaths. It's quiet. Fidgeting, the other turned their heads towards the window. YiXing had to be joking. His eyes had to be playing a trick on him.

All three caught a glimpse of a sleek moving shadow slithering passed the window. Freezing terror passed through them leaving them feeling cold. Their hearts hammered violently within their ribcage and their muscles locked with fear. They needed to get out of here.

The sound is soft, but it could still be heard. The distinct sound of a door closing shut somewhere had them panicking. These things knew they were here and was making sure they couldn't hear them. 
 
"We gotta go." ChanYeol whispered easing himself up and grabbing the first aid-kit, map and the other necessities he had found as quickly as he could. Not knowing what door that was, they obviously couldn't risk it. "We'll just go out the window."

"Sounds good to me." MinSeok looks to YiXing and hoists him up, grasping the other by the wrist. "Think you can run?"

"Ye-"

ChanYeol bumped into MinSeok grabbing the older's attention. It was then MinSeok noticed ChanYeol wasn't looking at him, but towards the broken door. Following the other's gaze, he found one of the dinosaurs they had encountered yesterday standing there. Its flexed its claws as it pulled its lips back into a peril grin. They took a step back as it took a step forward, its middle claw raised.

Then one of the windows shattered from behind them. 

Whirling their heads towards the sound, the three found another one standing in the center of the shattered shards. It's was snout tilted up towards the ceiling sniffing the air before it snapped it's head in their direction and gave a hissy purr as saliva dripped from its mouth.

The three stood rigid as they had a stand off with the two hungry six foot creature. The three had never been so scared. The creatures were approaching slow and cautious assessing the situation. These things were smart. They knew they had trapped them within this room. There was nowhere for three to run. On his left, MinSeok felt YiXing press closer to him tightening his hold around his waist while ChanYeol wrapped a hand around his wrist, his grasp firm. 

ChanYeol suddenly jerks him by the arm to the right in the same moment the two dinosaurs spring towards them. The sudden movement caused MinSeok to lose his footing sending him to his knees which in turn had YiXing clumsily tripping over the fallen boy's limbs. The two fall to a hemp onto the floor just in time to send the beasts colliding head first into the other.

"Come on! This way! This way!" ChanYeol urges pulling MinSeok up onto his feet while he grips YiXing firmly by the wrist and allows himself to be lead by the tallest towards a backdoor they hadn't even noticed.

As the group cross the room and make it towards the back exit door, the dinosaurs are already up and heading for them. A high-sounding grawl echoes through the abandoned room.

ChanYeol throws himself against the backdoor, pushing with all his might. The door groans from having to move after all these years sitting and rusting. "!" He hears YiXing mutter as he watches one of the dinosaurs jump onto a desk before bounding towards them. It's claws retracted and mouth open as it soars through the air. 

The door flew open, sending ChanYeol tumbling in. MinSeok shoves YiXing through first so that he's safe before entering himself, slamming the door closed behind him. He hears the raptor yelp from where it's snout greets the door.

The three winced at the blaring rays of the sun shining in their face and the humid air that nearly suffocates them yet none of the three stopped as they run across the dirt road and straight to the emergency bunker.

Throwing a quick glance over his shoulder, MinSeok caught sight of the two dinosaurs bursting out of the door they had just exited from and speeding towards them fast, a high-pitched shrill echoing from the two. Fresh fear propelled him forward. They needed to find that bunker soon because there was no way they could outrun these things.

ChanYeol made it to the bunker first. He gripped the hot metal door handle tightly and pulled, wincing at the burning sensation going through his nerves. The door groaned yet didn't budge. "." ChanYeol muttered while continuing to pull on the door. With the assistance of YiXing and MinSeok, he tugged harder. They can feel it budge.

"ChanYeol!" YiXing squeaked through ragged breaths. ChanYeol threw a glance over his shoulder in time to see the two carnivores coming up on them fast. The three begin to panic and began tugging harder. The screech of metal filled the air, as it began to move and open.

Wasting no time, he pulled YiXing into the bunker first then MinSeok before entering himself. He turned around and yanked the door closed, slamming it shut. He collapsed backwards at the hard smack the creature made against the metal door not a few seconds later. It continued to throw itself against the door huffing and snarling in anger at its prey getting away.

Panting and struggling not to cry, ChanYeol flicked on the flashlight and turned to find YiXing and MinSeok leaning against the wall on the opposite side. Their eyes were wide and hands were trembling. "You guys okay?" Despite the nod of their heads and their breathy reply of 'yeah', ChanYeol knew that they weren't.

None of them were.