Crash-landed

Primal Isle

His process into consciousness was inconceivably slow. It were as though, his mind had become detached from his body and were drifting leisurely beneath the dark waters of the ocean. It felt so surreal yet somehow serene and euphoric, much like how one would imagine an out-of-body experience to feel. Or death.

A heavy sense of apprehension filled him at the thought. He couldn't really be dead, he was too young! He had so much to live for! And what about his family? He didn't even get the chance to say good-

Something at his chin. It was cold and wet; however, quite refreshing against his skin. And though the movement was gradual, he could feel something coarse and gritty slide from underneath his jaw.

Actually, now that he though about it, he could also feel the surface he was lying on bushing against his chest making it difficult to breath. He tried to lift himself to give his lungs room to expand only to realize he couldn't move. It was as if every muscle in his body had become completely relaxed and drained of all strength.

He was beginning to panic now. He wasn't dead, but he couldn't move either.

Just what the hell was going on? 

Another gush of iciness flooded his body. This time running up his neck and over his bottom lip before disappearing as though it had never been there. He could taste the subtle hint of salt on his tongue that managed to slip through his slightly parted lips.

Salt water? Where did that come from? Where exactly is he?

The water had returned. This time crawling up his legs and back, drenching every inch of him in it's coldness. It washed over his lips and nose forcing the liquid down both his throat and nostrils resulting in that familiar burning sensation. 

But it wasn't until the water hit his eyes, did his body react. Lost strength was quickly regained allowing him to scurry away from the salt water, his hands and knees sinking into damp and dry sand. A series of coughs shook his body as his lungs expelled the salty liquid from him.

He stopped crawling when his arms began to shake under his weight. Dropping to his knees, he sat back on calfs. 

Slowly, he opened his eyes only to close them from the intense light radiating in his face as well as the irritation done by the salt water and tiny grains trapped in his eyelashes. He ran the back of his hand across his eyes, wincing as the coarse scratchy feel was painfully dragged across his eyelids and nose bridge.

Using the bend of his elbow, he managed to remove just enough to be able to see without causing irritation. Reopening his eyes, he squinted to keep the light at bay while he looked around. His vision was slightly nebulous, but he was still capable of seeing. 

His eyes followed the (surprisingly) blackish grey sandy beach upwards into a forest of trees where it disappeared. He glanced behind him to see waves running up along the beach's edge, leaving sea foam in it's wake. A frown found it's way to his face. How and why was he on a beach?

He turned back to the temperate rainforest. It reminded him of one of those 'Best Islands to Vacation On' magazines, that's how beautiful it was. There were trees of different kinds. From lush evergreens and conifers to palms and fruit trees, they all extended as far as the eye could see.

Unconsciously, he brought a hand up to fan himself, only now realizing how hot it was. The sun above him beating down on him and warming his skin. Possibly burning since he didn't know how long he had been out here. His long sleeve black button-up wasn't helping in the matter seeing as it was black and everyone knew that black holds heat. He was debating with himself if he should take it off when he glanced down at himself to find minuscule bits of black-grey sand covering him. 

From the front of his button up and dark wash skinny jeans to his face, and hair, it overlaid it all. He swiped at it, trying to get as much off as possible. "Tao..." He halted his movements as what sounded like someone calling his name drifted in the air. It was distant and low.

He waited a minute.

Then two. 

Then three. When it didn't hear it again, he shrugged it off as him just hearing things. 

Tao gave up on the sand once he realized he was only knocking it in different directions rather than actually off him. With a sigh, he sat down and brought his knees to his chest before gazing out at the ocean. His mind to question the whereabouts of the others. 

Where exactly were they?

Were they okay?

Did they know he was missing?

Were they out looking for him? 

Were they even here on this island?

His bottom lip began to quiver, tears forming in the brim of his eyes at the thought of being alone on an island. He hated being alone.

"Tao." He perked up, for sure he heard someone call his name this time. It was much closer this time and quite familiar. "Tao?" He glanced to the right to see someone jogging towards him. Tao remained still, steady trying to match the voice to a face.

"Tao!" The person began to sprint now. He could hear the relief and happiness in the their voice. It wasn't until the person was a couple of feet away when he finally put a name to the voice. 

LuHan. 

Strands of russet brown hair clung to LuHan's sweat covered forehead and flushed cheeks. His light blue wash jeans and red and white cardigan were coated with sand.

Happiness, enthusiasm, excitement and other overwhelming emotions of joy began to wash over him as he watched his Hyung run towards him.

"Oh my-Tao!" LuHan dropped to his knees in front of Tao and engulfed him into a tight hug. One Tao was quick to reciprocate. "I'm so glad I found you!" 

Tao said nothing as he buried his face into LuHan's sandy chest, his saddened tears from before now rained down his face in sheer solace. They were looking for him. He wasn't alone.

LuHan pulled the younger away from him and cupping his face, wiping away fallen tears with the pad of his thumb. "I can't believe you landed all the way out here by yourself. Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?" His eyes darted around Tao's face, checking for injuries. "The other's will be glad to know you're o-" He trailed when his gaze rested on Tao's left temple. A small hiss escaped his lips. "That looks like it hurts. I think KyungSoo or JongDae can fix that up for you when we get back." Tao attempted to raise a hand to touch the spot the older was referring to only to have LuHan grab him by the wrist and yank it down. "Don't. You'll only make it worse if you touch it."

"LuHan Ge..." Tao sniffed, his voice sounding like a rasp whisper thanks to the crying and dehydration. He swallowed his saliva before continuing, "Wha-what happened? How did we end up here? Where's everyone else?"

LuHan stared the other with a confused yet helpless look. "You don't remember anything?" The younger gave a slow shake of his head and LuHan sighed, his gaze shifting out towards the ocean. "We were on our way back to Korea when the plane began experiencing engine failure and crashed." He dropped his eyes to the sand. Digging his hand into the sand, he raised it up and watched the granular material slide between his fingers. "The majority didn't make it."

Tao gasped. The memory came flooding back to Tao. Somewhere during the flight, the Pilot had said something over the intercom about experiencing engine failure. Then five maybe ten minutes later, the plane began to nose-dive. He remembered hearing everyone screaming as luggage toppled out of the overhead bends and the lights flickered out. The last thing he heard was a loud pop and a gush of wind whipping around him. 

Tao felt his stomach twist in a tight knot at the thought of so many lives being lost. Men, women, children, infants, elders, his friends...

His eyes widen as fear slammed into him full force. "What about everyone else? YiFan GeGe? BaekHyun GeGe? SeHun? Kyung-"

"Kris, JongIn, JongDae, and KyungSoo are back at the camp with a few survivors."

"What about BaekHyun GeGe? SeHun?" 

LuHan bit his lip and shook his head. Tao choked back a sob as tears began to start for the third time. This just couldn't be real. "Hey, hey, they'll be okay. They're part of EXO, remember? Who knows, maybe they're somewhere basking in the sun and sipping on a coconut believing it's a vacation." He joked lightly earning an involuntary chuckle from the younger. They knew that it wasn't true, but it help lighten the mood so why ruin it? "Come on, let's head back. The others are waiting and we need to treat that gash before it becomes infected. "LuHan brushed sand from his hands before standing and stretching out a hand to help Tao up. "Can you stand?"

Tao acceptable the outstretched and pulled himself up. He stumbled a bit, but he managed to stay standing. LuHan wrapped an arm around Tao's waist while draping the younger's left arm around him neck and clasping it around the wrist with his other hand. "Hey Tao," the said boy looked to his Hyung. "When we get there, I want you to look at me. Don't look anywhere, but at me. Understand?"

Tao nodded, knowing full well LuHan was trying to protect him from seeing what awaited them at the wreckage. 


It had taken them forty-five minutes to get back to the plane. Tao was completely exhausted and dehydrated and he was sure his legs would've given out on him had it not been for LuHan holding him up. "LuHan Ge...I'm tired."

"I know, but it's just a bit further ZiTao, we're almost there." LuHan replied, patting Tao's waist encouragingly. 

They hadn't walked for more than five minutes before chunks of metal came into view.

The plane was a complete wreck. Giant bits of metal littered the beach before straight into a clearing of fallen trees where the plane lay pressed up against a fallen tree nearly split in half. Subconsciously, Tao glanced at the beach and immediately regretted his decision to do so.

There on the beach lied bodies of men, women and children. The number of unmoving bodies was unfathomable. There were so many.

Swallowing a whimper, he turned to look at LuHan like the older advised before their trek. He noted a soft smile made it's way to the other's lips. "Hey Guys! Guys! I found someone! I found Tao!" He called out towards the wreckage. 

Tao snapped his head towards the plane, his heart pounding at the thought of seeing the others and how they were holding up. Especially his DuiZhang.

There were sounds of movement before JongIn came out. His caramel colored skin glowed in the sun's rays making him look godly. "Tao? Tao!" JongIn ran towards them, arms wide as a grin presented itself across his lips. "Tao! Are you okay? Where did you find him Hyung?" He pulled the young Chinese into a brief hug before pulling him away and to scan his face just as LuHan had. He too stopped at the tear on his temple. "Ouch, that looks painful."

"Hey JongIn, where is everyone?" LuHan questioned, looking around the empty beach.

JongIn pointed to the rainforest. "They all wondered into the forest hoping to find civilization, but JongDae Hyung, Kris Hyung, and KyungSoo Hyung are back in the plane. They finally managed to relocate Kris Hyung's shoulder back in place, JongDae's putting it in a sling now."

"DuiZhang?" Tao felt trepidation trickle into him at the sound of Kris being injured. "Is he okay? Can I see him?" Tao pulled away from LuHan as he tried to get to the leader only to stumble due to his legs finally giving up on him.

LuHan grabbed ahold of Tao, steading him. "Take it easy, I'm sure Kris is fine. You on the other hand, need that gash fixed up and some water." He turned to JongIn, "Is there any more water? Being stuck out there for hours left him pretty dehydrated." The youngest of the three nodded before ushering them to follow him into the split of the plane.

"KyungSoo Hyung, Tao needs water." JongIn called out the moment they entered. KyungSoo gave a curt nod before shuffling in a bag beside him.

LuHan sat Tao in the seat alongside Kris, whom was getting his right arm slinged by JongDae. "DuiZhang." His voice was a whisper, his heart aching to see his leader wounded.

Kris turned to Tao and gave a soft smile. "I'm fine ZiTao, don't worry about me." Kris reached out his left hand to Tao's face, fingers coming to hover over his temple. "Does it hurt?"

Before Tao cold answer, KyungSoo appeared in front of him with a plastic bottle in his hand. He knelt before Tao and brought it to the younger's lips. "Here, drink up."

The moment fresh water hit his tongue, Tao began to drink feverishly. Swallowing down large gulps of the cool crisp liquid. "I'll go ahead and bandage your temple. Don't want it to get infected." KyungSoo replied, pulling the bottle from Tao's lips and capping it before reaching into the first aid kit next to JongDae and digging through it.

Tao slumped in the seat, his eyes heavy with fatigue. Now that his thirst was satisfied, there was nothing keeping him from succumbing to his exhaustion.

JongDae glanced over at Tao while making sure Kris's arm was secure in the triangular sling. He smiled and patted the younger's thigh, gaining his weary attention. "Why don't you just get some sleep. KyungSoo can still fix up that laceration for you."

Tao gave a drowsy nod before pressing the right side of his face against the headrest and drifting off to sleep.