Ch.9

Primal Isle

It was the combined sounds of grunting and snorting followed by the dry crunch and bend of the grass that had awoken BaekHyun first. Lethargically, he shifted around before lifting his head from JoonMyeon's shoulder and half-opening his eyes, blinking hard to clear his distorted vision. 

He didn't know how he and JoonMyeon slept with all the constant noise of the jungle echoing throughout the night as well as the constant fear of being found by that bipedal monster that had chased after them. But apparently they had seeing as it was now morning.

Another deep heavy snort that sounded way too close startled him. He whipped his head towards the opening of the drain to find a group of six maybe seven quadrupedal creatures grazing. Their heads were triangular with long thick ivory horns protruding from behind it's head. The creature's wide robust body was covered in thick armor oval shaped plates similar to that of a crocodile or an armadillo with the underbelly exposing soft gray lizard like skin and a tail that resembled a giant club. 

Panic settled in quickly as he bolted upright, hitting his head on the drain's concrete ceiling and jabbing his elbow into JoonMyeon's side. Rubbing his sore head with one hand, he frantically shook JoonMyeon with the other trying to wake him. Eyes glued on the beast outside the drain. "JoonMyeon Hyung, wake up. Wake up."

"Hm." JoonMyeon groaned, pushing BaekHyun's hand. His eyes remained closed due to the amount of effort it took just to awake. 

"Come on Hyung, wake up." 

JoonMyeon felt his mind slowly coming to consciousness. Pulling his eyelids apart, he stared at BaekHyun only to find the other looking passed him. He glanced back only to gasp in shock and shuffle close to BaekHyun and away from the opening. The two watched as the beast grazed. It's beak like mouth tearing into the dried long grass and chewed haphazardly. In a way, it reminded them of cows. Big, armored cows. "What the hell are those? How did they even get in here?"

JoonMyeon shrugged. There was probably another opening somewhere in the perimeter. He jumped when the thing sneezed and shook his robust body before waddling away from the drain to graze on more grass farther away. Slowly, the two inched close to the opening drawing back quickly when a smaller one waddled by, emitting a nasalized cry before it nuzzled the leg of the older one. "Wow." JoonMyeon mutters in awe watching as the herd began to move back into the forest. It looked like something out of a movie, so mesmerizing yet startling. It made them forget for just a moment that there were meaner, faster and hungry ones lurking about as well. 

Neither of them moved even after the herd of ankylosaurus drifted into the jungle to find more grass. Their hollowed calls between one another echoing across distance. "Alright, they're gone. Come on." JoonMyeon finally says peeking out of the drain to scan their surrounding before crawling out.

BaekHyun stands before the drain beside JoonMyeon and stares up at the surrounding jungle. Although he doesn't want to go back in, he knows they have to for many reasons. He felt JoonMyeon tap him in the arm before he began to walk towards the forest. "Let's go."

 

 

The two walk in silence. The only sounds are that of crunching twigs. Although it wasn't as hot as yesterday, the humid air still made the walk a bit uncomfortable and had them slightly regretting leaving the only shelter they could find. Who knows when they could find another place to rest. JoonMyeon felt his stomach growl and winced at the sound. He was so hungry. He was sure he was on the verge of collapsing from the lack of food in his system.

He glanced down at his hands and took noticed on how ashen and tan his skin was beginning to look. His fingers and knuckles were littered with scraps and cuts he didn't know how he gotten. He then looked back at BaekHyun to see him looking the same. They really needed to get something in their system. He looked up towards the trees contemplating if leaves could be a source of food because they needed something. Anything.

He jumped when he heard a heavy thud followed by a pained hiss coming from behind him. Turning around, he saw BaekHyun lying flat on the ground. "Baek!" JoonMyeon called out, rushing over and kneeling before the other. "Baek, are you okay?"

"Yeah." BaekHyun hissed sitting up on his knees and leaning back on his calves. "Yeah, I just...tripped over a root or-or something." He muttered brushing off the dirt clinging to his hands and shirt as he glared at the raised root. What was up with these stupid things always being in the damn way?

He stopped in mid-swipe when his eyes caught something underneath the foliage nearby. He squinted, his eyes focused. When he finally figured out what he was staring at, BaekHyun felt his stomach churn and flutter with heavy dread. "Hyung..."

"What?" JoonMyeon answers back. He was beginning to feel a bit apprehensive with the younger's lack of attention. "What is it? What do you see?" JoonMyeon followed BaekHyun's gaze. A sinking feeling settled within his stomach as he realized that they were looking at hand. A hand covered in short bloody slashes on the palm with black blood clotting the area were the index and middle finger should have been. 

JoonMyeon looked at BaekHyun and found the other stared back at him wide-eyed. The two having similar thoughts about the possibly of this person being one of their group members. Their whole world seemed to come crashing down. Please no....

The two continued to stare at the unmoving hand before JoonMyeon stood up and wondered over to the bush. He had to know. He had to see who it was.

With hesitant shaky hands, JoonMyeon reached towards the foliage and pushed them aside revealing a young bloodied male around their age possibly younger. He was pale, shivering and unconscious. His dark hair was clumped with blood, the guy's whole right side of his face was torn open from the scalp to his chin. His left side was completely soaked in blood where a big slash ripped from the shoulder down to his torso. The flesh was shredded and slowly decomposing and the shoulder was dislocated and exposed. The sight and smell had JoonMyeon's stomach churning sending him toppling over into a nearby bush to dry heave. BaekHyun only grimaced at the smell and raised a hand to his face. This is the first person they've come across and it's the worst way to find anyone. 

The boy suddenly moans and twists his head before he bolted up scaring the other two males. He stared wide-eyed, looking left and right frantically. "Help me!" He gurgles, reaching out towards them. "H-Help m-me!" JoonMyeon and BaekHyun are frozen in shock as they were unable to move. Unsure of what to do. "Plea-"

The guy leaned over and began to vomit blood violently. His eyes roll to the back of his head as he then starts to convulse. His body vibrating as he vomits again. Blood spewed everywhere. His body gave a final spastic jerk before he became relaxed and lay still.

BaekHyun stared down at the lifeless body shakenly his heart slamming so hard against his chest he can hear the sound of his blood pulsing in his ears. Words couldn't form on his tongue as the image of death claiming a life before him burned itself into his memories so to always be a reminder. "Oh God..." He looked up at JoonMyeon to find the EXO-K leader pressed up against a tree trunk, staring vacantly at the body. "Oh my God...he...."

JoonMyeon's knees buckled causing him to slumped against the tree in shock, fear. He wrapped his arms around himself, his breathing becoming hastened. His face flushed red and contorted into anguish as his eyes became coated with tears. He burrowed his head into his knees and released his cries into the humid air. "Oh God..."

BaekHyun's heart twisted painfully at the sight of JoonMyeon breaking down. The older always having been the most sensitive out of them all. Swallowing down the lump forming in his throat and blinking back threatening tears, BaekHyun walked over to JoonMyeon and pulled him into a tight comforting hug one which was quickly reciprocated. 

BaekHyun knew exactly how the older was feeling. He knew of the helplessness JoonMyeon felt while they watching this boy take his last breath. He knew of the guilt JoonMyeon felt for being glad this wasn't someone they knew because he was too. He also knew of the fearful realization and that this could still be them at any second. Whether it was due to a wrong turn or they simply weren't paying attention, this was probably how they were going to end up no matter how hard they fought.

For five minutes, he allowed JoonMyeon to cry on his shoulder and although that is technically too long to be sitting still especially in their current dilemma, JoonMyeon needed it. Pulling the older from his shoulder, he whispers, "Let's keep moving Hyung." JoonMyeon looked up at BaekHyun with tears staining his face and his handsome features were contorted into so many gloomy emotions. The look hit BaekHyun so hard, he nearly lost his composure and cried himself. He clears his throat instead. "Something will smell all that blood. We gotta get out of this area."

"Yeah." JoonMyeon sniffs slowly collecting himself. He looked over BaekHyun's shoulder and at the body. They can't leave him like that...so exposed. 

"We should bury him. Or at least cover him." BaekHyun replies saying JoonMyeon's exact thoughts. He glanced down at himself considering on leaving his sweatshirt over the boy, however, JoonMyeon stood slowly and walked passed him towards the body. He winced at the sight, he couldn't even try to think about what this boy had to experience, the pain, the fear. His last thoughts and so with trembling hands, he pushed the bush's leaves over the body covering any revealing bloody flesh. He lowered his head and said a quick prayer asking for the boy to find peace and be free of pain. 

JoonMyeon stared into the bush as he began to wonder about the dead boy. Was he alone? Did he have family or friends with him like they did? How long had he been running and hiding before he was attacked or just...gave up?

He felt a warm yet slightly sweaty hand slip into his own. Glancing up, he meet BaekHyun's gaze. There were so many emotions swirling within those brown eyes he couldn't figure out which one was the most predominant. BaekHyun laced their fingers together and gave a squeeze. "Let's go, Hyung." 

JoonMyeon gave a tepid smile and nodded before allowing the younger to tug him along.