Ch.7

Primal Isle

SeHun jerked awake drenched in sweat and gasping for breath. He nearly fell off the wide branch he was sitting on only to catch himself before he plummeted feet to the ground. Shifting his position, he sat back on the branch and leaned his back against the trunk of the tree. With the events of yesterday still fresh and replaying in his mind, he had no intentions of falling asleep again. Not for awhile at least.
 
It was dark and quiet, yet the jungle seemed quite alive. Every once in awhile bird-like chirps, and a rustling and scampering of small creatures in the underbrush filled the air. The creatures...dinosaurs he had come to realize from earlier had long since left most likely aggravated that they had to wait so long for him to come down. Somewhere after sunset he had fallen asleep to the relaxing lull of the crickets, owls, and frogs and had been drowned in a sea of nightmares all night.
 
He shivered in the dark as he hugged himself to keep warm. The cold penetrating through his thin muscle shirt and freezing his bloodstained side giving him goosebumps. It was at this moment he wished he had his hoodie he had given to KyungSoo.

He sighed as his mind began to wonder if SM had reported them missing and asked the government to send the military or something to come look for them after the plane hadn't arrived at Incheon. Perhaps the airport had made the request because they should know something had happened. Help will be coming. 

Right?

SeHun's felt his eyes beginning to burn with sleep, yet he kept them open just so he wouldn't have to be plagued by those beady expressionless eyes or the menacing sounds that have tattooed themselves into his subconscious. To forever haunt him whether he would be asleep or awake.

He didn't know how long he had been awake, but he managed to watch the sun rise in the distance and paint the blue-black sky in a mixture of pastel hues of pinks, yellows and blues. 
 
SeHun jumped the final feet from the side of the tree to the ground grimacing at the effect the impact had on his side. The sun was still low in the sky, but he wanted to get a head start just in case those things decided to come back and try another go at him.
 
He paused a few feet from the base of the trunk and glanced around, the humidity already rising and it was gladly welcomed the chilly night he had. He looked in the direction he first came from, he couldn't go back to the beach seeing as those creatures had hurried back off in that direction and he'll be damned if he'll become breakfast.
 
He turned around briskly and walked in the opposite direction. If he was going to survive, he need to toughen up and figure out a way to clean his wound and find the others. Clenching his teeth, he held his now blood encrusted side and pushed forward, the thickening brush slapping him in the face while early morning noises already started to fill the air.
  
                                                                              *******

"But I want to stay here." Tao muttered as he watched JongDae stuff the first aid kit into a backpack. His eyes were wide and waxed over, the color from his face drained as he shook his right leg and clutched the plastic container in his hands nervously. "I-I don't want to go out there."

It was either late morning or early afternoon. The sky was the typical white and blue-grey. The wispy cirrus and cirrocumulus clouds bundled the sky like a pack of cotton while the sun gleamed down on the earth and sea like a warm ball of white light. Everyone was up and packing to getting ready for the search for the rest of the members. No one really liked the idea of going into the woodland, but they needed to find the others and get the hell off this island.

LuHan sighed as he placed a hand on top of Tao's shoulder and gave it a sympathetic pat, knowing the younger was terrified. Hell, he was too. They all were. Last night still had them pretty shaken up and the thought of whatever it was from the night before coming back at any moment had them looking over their shoulder at every noise made. "We have too Tao. What about BaekHyun, YiXing and the others? You want to see them again, yeah?"

"Yeah, but what about that-that thing? We don't know what it is, it'll get us if we..."

"You know, you don't have to go Tao." JongDae interjected as he finished stuffing the first aid kit into a backpack. "If you feel safer here, maybe you and Kris Hyung could stay while LuHan Hyung, JongIn, KyungSoo and I go look for the others."

LuHan shook his head. "We can't split up. That'll only make things even more complicated, we discussed this last night." 

"I know Hyung, but with Kris Hyung's injury and Tao being scared, it would probably be safer for them to be here than out there." JongDae counter argued almost pleadingly. 

"And if it came back? Then what?"

"I-I don't want it to come back." Tao whimpered meekly at the mention of that thing's return. Last night was scary enough.

"But Tao-"

"JongDae's right TaoZi. If you're scared, you should stay." 

Tao turned to the leader of the group whom although had just spoken, was playing around with his ring while looking heavily in thought. "But what about you DuiZhang? You're not going to stay?" Tao inquired. He so badly wanted his leader to say yes. Yes that he would stay with him.

At the sound of his nickname, Kris glanced up at Tao to see the younger looking at him with a pleading look. Exhaling a sigh, Kris returned his gaze to his ring. "No." He heard the gasped gutturally sound Tao gave out of shock; however, he continued on to explain his reasonings. "Listen TaoZi. I know you're scared and I would much rather have you stay here than pressure you into doing something you don't want to do, but I want to go." He lifted his gaze back towards Tao, "I need to make sure the others are okay. That YiXing and MinSeok are okay." Kris sighed once more, this time at the hurt look that flashed across Tao's face. The last thing he wanted was to hurt his DiDi's feelings. "I'm sorry Fuzz, but I want to do this."

JongIn leaned forward and rested a hand on Tao's thigh, "If you want Tao, I can stay here with you." He suggested smiling, "Hyungdeul can go, but we'll stay."

Tao looked from JongIn then back to Kris before casting his gaze downwards to the remaining grapes in the forgotten container in his hands. Kris was right. As badly as he wanted to be safe and away from the creature, it hurt to think that the others probably didn't have that option and were wondering about out in the open possibly being stalked by unknown things. His bottom lip began to tremble as he shook his head in objection. "No. I'll-I'll go."

"Tao, you don't-"

"No!" Tao replied in a surprisingly leveled and firm tone despite the anxiety he was having which in turn startled everyone. "We need everyone together right? We are one, remember?"

Kris stared at Tao for a moment obviously seeing pass the dissembled bravery. This was exactly what he didn't want yet Tao had already made up his mind and was refusing to change it. Sighing, Kris glanced around at the other three before letting his eyes settle on JongIn. "Alright, we should finish packing. JongIn can you go check on KyungSoo? He should be finishing up packing the water."

JongIn nodded before heading to the back of the plane where KyungSoo was stuffing a backpack with snacks and bottles of water. "Hey KyungSoo Hyung, are you almost finished?" He plopped down on his knees next to KyungSoo and watched the older stuff a bag of onion rings into the bag.

"Yep." KyungSoo replied adding on last bottle of water before zipping up the bag and hoisting it up on his back, the sound of the water bottles and bags of chips crunching at the movement.

JongIn eyed the bag for a moment, "Do you...need help Hyung? I can carry the bag if you want."

KyungSoo smiled at the younger and shook his head. "No, it's fine, I got it. Thanks though."

"You sure?" JongIn instinctively stretched his hand towards the older as an offering to help carry the backpack.

"Uh-huh."

"Okay." JongIn nodded pulling his hand back and dipping it in his pocket. He his heels to head back to the front; however, he paused mid-step  before turning around to face his Hyung. "Hey Hyung..."

"Yeah?" KyungSoo watched as JongIn began to nervously at his lips and look every which way instead of at him. It was strange, he was so used to seeing the younger being Kai all the time that he had forgotten how shy and adorable JongIn truly was. "What is it JongIn? Are you okay?"

"Well...I was thinking maybe would you-i-if we...no," JongIn stuttered while rubbing the back of his head as he was unsure how to convey his words in a way KyungSoo would understand them. "I was wondering if you...I-I mean...I wanted to say that I..." He heaved a somber sigh, his shoulders sagging in frustration. "Never mind. Forget it." With that said, JongIn turned back around on his heels and continued on his way leaving KyungSoo standing there in confusion.

"You guys ready?" JongDae questioned jumping from the plane and examining the trees around him before adjusting the backpack filled with medical supplies on his back and turning to the remaining five, whom were slowly making their way out of the plane.

"Do you really think we'll be able to find them in all of...this?" JongIn inquired, staring through the trees. He felt trepidation trickled into his blood as he stared into the vast jungle. After last night, something about this jungle just didn't settle with him.

"No idea, but we can only hope." Was JongDae's reply before he began walking towards the tropic trees. JongIn followed after in second with KyungSoo and LuHan behind him. Tao and Kris were last.

Tao paused at the edge of the woodland to stare up at the surrounding trees. His stomach began to twist in a giant knot as his adrenaline began to kick into overdrive. He felt his breathing beginning to hasten and his knees tremble. He couldn't do this. He opened his mouth to try and exclude himself out of going once more; however by the time he decided to do so, he felt a warm smooth hand slip into his own. He glanced up meeting Kris's comforting gaze. 

"Come on, let's go." Kris smiled lacing their fingers together and giving the hand a consolation squeeze before gently tugging the younger along to follow after the other four.

Stepping into the rainforest was like stepping into a whole new era or a whole new lost world. A much different place than what they were used to. The air within the trees was humid compared to that of the coolness by the ocean.The sound of the roaring ocean seemed to be miles away due to being lost in the crowd of trees. The smell of the salty ocean was blocked by that of a clean damp earthy woodland scent. A scent that was invigorating yet strange to their senses.

They listened as birds flying over head and those perched in trees chirped to the sounds of other unknown animal calls.

No one could deny that the scenery was indeed beautiful and calming.

Tao held onto Kris's hand as if his life depended on it while staring at the ground, watching his step as he trampled through the damp vegetation and overgrown plant life. He kept his eyes sharp for insects because with tall grass come giant bugs and he'll be damned if one jumps-

"What's that?" LuHan inquired, glancing around the vast jungle. Tao snapped his head up and glanced around frantically just as everyone halted in place, all trying to figure out what the oldest of the group was talking about. "Do you guys hear that? It sounds like snorting."

At first, no one heard anything, but after a while they had. It was a low deep snort followed by the snapping of a branches and thudding of feet. It sounded close by too.

Too close.

Tao moved closer to Kris, pressing himself against the older's back as they all began to feel alarmed.

It was coming back and they had nowhere to go.

He knew they should've stayed on the plane.

The bushes ahead of them began to rustle. Everyone's eyes were now fixated on the moving foliage while they tried looking through the thick crowd of trees to see what was approaching. "I-I don't think this is such a good idea anymore Hyungdeul. We should turn back." JongIn whispered in a small quivering voice. He swallowed thickly as he continued to gaze straight ahead into the foliage.

Suddenly, pushing it's way through the green foliage was a giant full grown rhinoceros. It's skin was the color of dark red clay and textured like small pebbles. On it's head was a giant shrill and three ivory colored horns. One horn protruded over each eye with a smaller one above a beak like mouth. 

It was then they all realized it wasn't a rhinoceros.

Just as it passed by and entered into vegetation on the opposite side, another looking very similar soon followed. Then another and another. Back-to-back a total of at least eight with three being babies walked out of the jungle bush, all bellowing a low trumpet like noise.

The group watched in sheer fascination and shock as the herd of Triceratops crossed the path in front of them, the tiny herd seemingly unaware of the small group of humans staring at them in immense wonder. "What...the ..." Kris whispered in English eyeing the herd, his grip on Tao's hand loosening slightly.

"What the hell are those?" JongIn gaped.

"Th-th-that can't be real...can it?" LuHan muttered in breathless awe while darting his eyes between his group-mates and the giant beasts before him.

"I-I don't know..." KyungSoo answered back with the same awe. He couldn't believe his eyes. Science books and television had told him that these things had walked the earth and long since died out millions of years ago. So how the hell were they here now? Better yet...

Just what the hell was this place?