Ch.4

Primal Isle

"Hyung...JongDae Hyung, wake up." With a low groan and eyes half-lidded, JongDae awoke to feel Tao's presence looming over him while the younger still tried to shake him awake. "Come on Hyung, wake up."

"Tao? What? What is it?" JongDae questioned groggily while pulling himself in an upright position and running a jaded hand over his eyes and down the left side of his face. He blinked the sleep from his eyes before staring blearily into the empty darkness hoping it was in the right direction. "What's wrong?"

"I have to go to the bathroom."

JongDae stifled a yawn as he stretched his arms behind him. "Okay, so why didn't you just get the flashlight and go?"

"Because I...I didn't want to go by myself."

JongDae didn't have to see the younger to know that his was fiddling with his fingers and tinged pink from embarrassment, the sheepish tone used told him all that. He could understand why Tao felt it was embarrassing. Here he was at twenty-one, skilled in Wushu yet he was scared of the dark and afraid to go anywhere by himself. "Alright, I'll take you." He sighed fumbling in the dark, hands scrapping against the seat cushion searching for one of the three flashlights JongIn had found earlier. 

Successfully finding the flashlight, he flicked it on causing both he and Tao to wince at the sudden brightness heavily contrasting with the obscureness of night. JongDae stood from the sleeper bed. "Okay, come on." The two crept through the creaky carcass towards the split as quietly as possible without trying to wake the others. 

Once they reached the crevice, the two jumped from the plane and into the cool nocturne air. With a shiver due to being in the dark and the frigid air, Tao grabbed ahold of JongDae's hand just before the older began to head into the tall grass, the light from the flashlight swaying back and forth as their guide.

Coming to a small clearing, JongDae aimed the light at a large redwood tree in front of them. "Alright, go use the restroom. I'll be right here." Tao nodded before hurrying towards the tree and disappearing behind it.

While Tao relieved himself, JongDae glanced around the surrounding woodlands for nothing in particular while listening to the eerily peculiar song the nocturnal creatures were creating. A chill ran down his spine as a cool breeze brushed passed him. Wrapping his arms around himself, he continued to shine the light around the tall vegetation.

Off to his right he heard what sounded like something trotting through the grass at a leisure pace. With a quickness, he shined the light in the direction, the light catching a reddish-orange gleam. He frowned, baffled by what he was seeing. 

There, several meters ahead was a group of almost featherless birds at least six-maybe seven-feet in height bobbing their way through the dark. He squinted his eyes and slid the light over their bodies for a better look. This couldn't possibly be real.

They all stood on two muscled hind-legs, it's small head supported on a long slender neck, which was connected to a bulky body covered with a thin layer of russet and beige-colored semi-plume feathers and a long stiff tail. It reminded him of a lot like a less feather-y ostrich with a tail.

He continued to stare in mild fascination as one of the featherless ostriches moved closer and lowered it's flat, slim rounded beak towards the ground to pluck some grass. It's long curled arms kneading the air passively.

"What is that?" 

JongDae nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard Tao's whisper so close to his ear. He spun on his heel and aimed the light directly in the younger's face. "Jeez, ZiTao, you scared the hell out of me." He grumbled with a sigh of relief as he placed a hand over his heart trying to calm its racing.

Tao took a step back before lifting a hand to block the excess light from his face. "Sorry Hyung, I thought you heard me coming." He looked over his Hyung's shoulder at the creatures behind him. "What are those things?"

The older turned his attention back to the flock before giving a shrug. "I don't know. They looked like birds, but wi-"

The ostrich-like bird paused suddenly. It's reddish-orange eyeshine reflecting in the light as all of the birds raised their heads and cocked it to the side as if to be hearing something. They stayed that way for a minute or two before one gave a sharp squawk and they all quickly dashed off into the foliage with great speed.

"GeGe, I want to go back now." Tao whimpered in Mandarin as he grasped JongDae by the forearm and began tugging at it. He didn't want to be out here anymore, especially with those things running about. Who knows what they could do. "Chen GeGe, come on."

"Wait Tao, stop. Listen. Do you hear that?" Tao reluctantly stopped tugging on JongDae's arm to do as he was told. 

The rainforest night was growing unearthly silent. The crickets, owls and frogs that had been chirping and hooting a peculiar song earlier were uncommunicative leaving only the swashing of the ocean and a low ponderous thumping to sound in the distance. 

The two stood frigid, their faces contorted in concentration as both tried to pinpoint the sound's location by ear. 

The thuds continued. Increasing in volume and growing quicker in succession as whatever it was that was causing them came nearer. Each step reverberating through the ground sending quivers to their knees. 

Trees near by began to rustle roughly, their branches bending and crackling as the massive and cumbersome object pushed its way through them. Tao tried looking through the thick crowd of trees to see what was approaching; however, from his position and the limited amount of light, he couldn't see past them.

Then it stopped. 

It just stopped. There were no thuds, no moving of trees or branches. Nothing. Just the eerie silence from the lack of forest sound. "I think we should go back now, Hyung." Tao turned to JongDae only to find the older staring straight ahead with wide eyes, the muscles in his jaw clenched tightly. He didn't like that look.

Before Tao could even think about turning to see what the older saw, JongDae had grabbed him by the wrist and was dragging him through the tropic trees back towards the plane. 

Behind them, Tao heard something shoot out of the trees and trample after them. The ground underneath their feet trembled with each approaching step as low deep growls rumbled from the beast's throat. He didn't have to look back to know it was gaining. He could hear it growing closer. He could practically feel it's presences just inches from his back.

JongDae yanked on Tao's wrist urging him to run faster as he guided their way through the jungle. He made sharp short turns through the endless cluster of trees. He was beginning to panic. He didn't remember walking so far out. What if this wasn't the right way? What if one of the turns he took lead them somewhere else? What if-

The flashlight's beam of light glimmered against metal. He knew it was the plane. With one final jerk on Tao's wrist, JongDae sped up.

Barreling inside the plane, the two found a doe-eyed and confused KyungSoo and a half-awake JongIn staring at them with the second flashlight illuminating their faces. "Where have you guys been?" JongIn inquired scrunching his face in confusion. "We woke up and you were-"

"Turn the flashlight off and be quiet." JongDae whispered taking in deep breaths as he flicked off his own flashlight. "Something chased after Tao and I. I-I don't know what it is bu-"

KyungSoo frowned at the clearly frightened and breathless male. "Wait, what? It? What's 'it'? What's going on?" 

"Please Soo, just-"

Something slammed into the side of the plane with a staggering force, the strength of the impact knocked everyone to the ground and sent the flashlight flying out of KyungSoo's hands, compelling the light off.

"What the hell?" JongIn groaned as he tried to picked himself up of the ground. "What was th-" There was another forceful smash before the plane began to roll. Floor and seats became the new ceiling as everyone fell downwards, crashing into a heap on the new floor with 'oofs' and groans.

A deafening roar filled the carcass making the piece of scrap metal quiver in fright from the sound. The earsplitting stentorian noise convulsed within their chests sending their hearts into overdrive and hands to clamp against their ears as they tried to muffle some of the sound.

"What the hell is that? What's going on?" LuHan question, his fear-stricken feeble voice slightly droned out by the roar.

The plane rolled once again, sending them sliding along the side of the plane and into rows of seats that were knocked loose from the impact. LuHan felt himself slam full-force into someone and judging by the pained hiss that escaped the person's lips, he knew it was Kris and his injured shoulder.

There was a low growl and heavy breathing coming from somewhere. Deep inhales and exhales of a hot muggy breaths wafted in the air, suffocating them with its foulness.

Tao huddled closer to the person beside him and buried his face into their chest. His eyes were squeezed shut as tears seeped through his lashes. He was terrified. It was going to get in and kill them. He just knew it.

It continued to sniff about. The thing inhaled one more final deep breath before it gave what sounded like a final snort and growl before walking away. The plane trembling to the timed intervals of its steps. Tree branches creaked and rustled as it headed back from whence it came.

Save for their hastened breathing due to shock and panic, they were all quiet. No one saying anything or moving for the fear of even uttering a whisper the thing would return.

Ten minutes later, the cricking and croaking sound of the crickets and frogs began to start back up again as if nothing had ever happened. "I think it's gone." JongDae whispered blowing out a shaky sigh of relief. 

"Wh-what was that?" KyungSoo stuttered with trembling alarm in his voice while glancing around wildly in the nocturnal night.

"I-I don't know. I just looked and-and it was there." JongDae answered back, his voice tremulous. He had spotted it watching him and Tao through the top of the trees where it lay hidden. It's eyes glowing in the light. He couldn't see it's body through the trees, but it's head...it's giant bulky lizard like head with those beady eyes and pointed snout with an overbite revealing a long row of teeth would haunt him.

There was sounds of sniffling as Tao tried to calm himself. He didn't want to be here. Not with unknown things walking about at night and could come back at any sec-. He yelp when a disembodied hand touched his arm. "Calm down Hyung, it's just me." JongIn murmured shakily and breathlessly in his ear as he began to rub and pat Tao's back comfortingly to try and calm him. It was then Tao realized it was the younger he was pressed against. "It's just me. Are you okay?" 

Tao shook his head and although JongIn couldn't see it, he knew the younger could feel the motion against his ribs. "Are you sure you're okay Kris? It isn't dislocated again is it?" LuHan's voice of concern whispered in the air and traveled into Tao's ears. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean-"

"DuiZhang?" Tao pulled away from JongIn as he tried to locate the direction LuHan's voice traveled from, his thoughts now consumed with the well-being of his leader. "Are you okay? Where are you?"

"I'm fine ZiTao, don't worry about me." Came Kris's breathy modulated voice from somewhere behind him, he was obviously still freaked by what just happened.

Ignoring Kris's disregard to his own health, Tao crawled blindly through the dark feeling his way towards the injured leader. He paused when his fingers brushed against the harsh fabric of denim jeans. "Kris Hyung?"

"Yeah Tao, it's me." 

Tao continued on and saddled his way up next to Kris, accidentally bumping against the older's injured arm earning a pained groan. "Sorry, DuiZhang." He whispered, crawling over Kris and settled into the leader's left lateral. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Aside from the numbing pain and mild panic, I'm fine." Kris grunted before chuckling softly, "How about you?"

Tao shook his head, feeling that familiar lump in his throat as the warm moistness of fresh tears began to welted up in his eyes. Everything he had experienced so far hit him ten times over. Just like a bad nightmare you couldn't wake up from. "I'm-I'm scared GeGe."

"I know. We all are a little scared."

"But I'm really scared DuiZhang. What if that thing comes back? It could get in and-and kill-"

"Hey, hey, hey, stop. Don't you'll only freak yourself out more." Kris draped his good arm around Tao's shoulders and pull the younger close before resting his chin on the crown of the younger's head. "Besides, I'll make sure it won't get in. I promise." 

"But YiFan-"

"Ssh. Don't worry about it TaoZi. Now just...just try to get some sleep." Defeatedly swallowing the words that sat on his tongue, Tao said nothing as he wrapped his arms around Kris's waist and snuggled into his chest. He rested his head over the M-leader's heart and listened carefully to the sound of it's rhythmic beats as he felt the slight rise and fall of Kris's chest against his cheek. The sound and slight movement soothing his frayed nerves and slowly lulling him to sleep.

                                                                          ☆*:…*・*:.。. .。.:**.:*☆

Black hi-top converse sloshed through a muddy puddle sending specks of mud into the air to latch onto white-washed jeans. Scratched hands pushed through dangling branches as he ducked, dodged and weaved through tangled foliage all while trying to avoid whatever was chasing after him.

His lungs burned from the lack of air entering them and his legs and injured side screamed in agony, but he didn't stop running. He couldn't stop running.

SeHun could hear leaves and shrubs rustle behind him and the low thumping footfall of several beings sprinting after him getting louder. Closer. The sounds of menacing hisses and purrs teased the air, urging him to run faster.

He reflexively ducked under a low branch, never once breaking his speed. 

SeHun had no idea how long this chase had been going on. All he remembered was walking through the thicket of forest and hearing soft clicking followed by a low nasally growl. He glanced around, but didn't find his stalker. An icy chill trickled down his spine and the hairs on his neck stand on end as he realized something was hidden amongst the vegetation. Something had smelt his blood and was now most likely watching him. Just waiting to strike.

Panicking, he took off running through the jungle bush. Sliding in between tree trunks and dodging low branches that seemed to want to slow him down. The humid air suddenly was filled with a high-pitched whistled shrill and menacing hisses and caws before vegetation began trembling as something started speeding after him.

Not paying attention, his foot got caught in between the space of a raised root causing him to trip and slam his face against the side of another larger raised root. The blunt of the impact focused more so on his nose. He groaned in pain as his head began to spin. The was up with these roots and their need to take up the space above? Tentatively, he touched his nose, wincing at the excruciating pain. It wasn't bleeding to which he was thankful. That was one less thing to worry ab-

A loud nasally trumpeting sound and hissy growls filled the air. The creatures were coming closer. The distance between them and him closing quickly.

He scurried to his feet; however, his left leg locked up on him and forced him back down to his knees. His body had grown tired. It could no longer keep running. He felt his arms tremble in lack of strength to lift his body from the ground, his legs unresponsive to his commands.

For the second time today, an icy chill ran down his spin. This couldn't be happening. 

He urged his body to continue, just for a little while longer...

A large bush just a few feet behind him trembled before the creature leapt into the air, a menacing hiss emitting from it's mouth.

His fear increased tenfold giving his body that miracle second rush of adrenaline which he used to push himself forward and continue running. The high levels of epinephrine in his body helped with increasing his speed. 

There was a thud of it landing before it continued to chase after him. Never once breaking speed.

SeHun knew he couldn't keep this up any longer. He was losing his second adrenaline just as quickly as it had came. His legs now felt like jello and he was beginning to feel weak from the amount of blood he was losing. And too make it worse, he could feel the thing right behind him. He could hear it's low grunts and heavy breathing as it snapped it's jaws at the back of his shirt trying to grab him and drag him to the ground. He had to get this thing off his back to at least get put distance so he can find a place to-

He spotted a tree up ahead with a tiny little sapling around his height sticking out the side of it's trunk. Outstretching his hands in front of him, he grabbed ahold of the sapling and pulled it back. Stretching it as far as he could go. Once he has passed through, he released it sending it springing back into it's former position causing it to smack into the pursuing predator in the snout. Hard. There was a screech of surprise and pain as the predator staggered back and inadvertently slowing down the others that were in pursuit. SeHun didn't dare turn to confirm. 

He ran a few more feet before coming up on a large tree standing a proud twenty to thirty feet before him. Without thinking twice, he ran towards the tree's trunk and threw his arms around it's large base. He grabbed a hold of the liana vines wrapped hugging the trunk and pulled himself up to the lowest branch before climbing higher, ignoring the pain pulsing through him from the strain. 

Hand over hand, foot over foot, he continued this pattern pushing himself upwards to safety. 

Sehun had just made it about eight feet when whatever that was chasing him exploded from the undergrowth and leaped in the air barely missing the sole of his shoe. One by one they all shot out, each one jumping higher than the next just to reach him. 

Out of curiosity, SeHun glanced over his shoulder and down at what was so desperate to get him.

Nothing in the world could have prepared him for this. 

There below him were three six foot living dinosaurs. Three pairs of beady round eyes glared up at him with hunger and burning anger while they all snarled and growled in fury. 

He scooted back in between the split of where the tree bark divided into two, avoiding their glares. Resting his head against one of the tree trunks, he closed his eyes as he tried to settle his ragged breath by taking in large gulps all-the-while hoping this was just a really long and really bad nightmare.