EIGHT: THE FINAL SHOT

Broken Hearted Arrow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Heads up: this is quite a long chapter but if you’ve read RU, then you’re probably used to the length. Lastly, beware of the cheesy scenes that lay ahead. Acckk!! Haha! here you go… :p

 

“Now it’s time for the real thing. I hope you’re going to love it.”

 

            He snapped his fingers again. As soon as Seohyun opened her eyes, she was greeted with the most beautiful and romantic sight. The place was nothing short of her imagination of paradise. It was everything she ever dreamed of. THIS was the exact image she had of a perfect first date. She looked around and tried to take it all in. Every corner was a reminder of the time they spent together. A part of her felt wistful. There’s this nagging feeling that this grand gesture was his way of saying goodbye. She felt the tears forming but she shook that thought away and continued to survey the place.

There was also a glass piano carefully placed inside the gazebo. The glass was of pink and blue color, while diamonds decorated the piano’s edges. Whenever the light shines upon it, it creates a prism of colors that added up to the breathtaking sight of the romantic table setup. It was only then did she also realize that they were dressed formally. He was wearing a white suit, with royal blue shirt. Her dress was of the same color motif.

The added touch of a mini-library stacked with her favorite books on one side, along with the magnificent waterfall in the backdrop just did it. She felt so overwhelmed and thankful.

          “So, do you like it?”

            Yonghwa tried to imitate Kim Soohyun’s question back during the first movie date. He was irritated at himself for feeling so ‘competitive.’ Seohyun had tears in her eyes as she hugged him tightly.

          “No words could ever express what I feel right now. It’s perfect. You’re perfect. Thank you.”

            Yonghwa felt so proud of himself. The preparations were worth it. He felt his cheek hurt from smiling so much. Before the mood became all mushy, Seohyun reverted to her usual self and slapped him hard on the shoulder.

          “OW! What was that for?!”

            “That’s for raising the bar so high! YAH! How do you expect me to go through another date with manhwa boy and not remember how perfect today was?! Especially this place! Argh! It’s either you erase my memories or pass on that skill of yours to him otherwise I don’t think there’s anything else that could top this off. Aish.”

             He laughed as he led her towards the gazebo. The table was set with his and her favorite food.

          “Go ahead. Gobble it all up. Don’t mind me. I already took out the pineapples and olives just in case you want some pizza. What are you waiting for?”

            She looked at him suspiciously.

          “I’m serious. You can go ahead and eat like you normally do. Now is not the time to think of the ‘proper dining etiquette’ I kept pestering you about.”

            It felt so liberating to eat on a date without having to be so conscious of how she looked like ALL the time. Maybe it’s also because he’s seen both the good and bad side and she didn’t have to work on having to impress him. After a hearty meal, he led her outside to lie on the grass (with a mat of course) and gaze at the stars.

          “You know, I’ve always been curious. Why does everybody else think that you’re some chubby diaper-winged toddler?”

            “Including you right?”

            She kept shut. DAMN. He caught her. He chuckled as he answered back.

          “It’s umma’s fault. One time she took me to some painter, I forgot his name? Pablo something..pick a sow?”

            “Pablo Picasso.” She corrected him. She wanted to laugh but decided against it.

          “Yeah yeah, Picasso it is. Well, umma wanted to have my portrait painted. I think that painter was a demigod or something because he recognized umma and me. He spread the word about the baby in the picture being Aphrodite’s son and the rest, as they say, is history.”

            “I’m reminded of that famous quote: Why does Cupid never grow up? Because it symbolizes that love never gets old. And why does he shoot arrows to the heart? To remind us that true love hurts.

Whoever wrote that got the ‘never grow up’ part wrong. I wish he/she could see the ahjussi Cupid. Haha!”

“AHJUSSI?!” he sat up but even before he could say something, she changed the mood again with a serious question.

“But is it true? That you shoot arrows to the heart to remind us that true love hurts?”

He looked at her and could see just how innocent and truly curious she is. He sighed and answered her truthfully.

“Yes. The arrows are designed to be shot to the heart specifically. I tried to hit some annoying mortal in his eye and somewhere else but it still ended up in his heart. The part about reminding you that true love hurts? It’s true. No one is a perfect individual, and it’s these flaws or imperfections that would cause the hurt in the relationship. However, it shouldn’t be enough of a reason to give up on it, especially if it’s true love.”

“Have you ever missed an aim?”

“Nope. Once a target is locked, even if my eyes are closed, the arrow will hit that person.”

“But aren’t you meant to shoot two people? In my case, why do you only have to hit the guy?”

“Because you’re supposedly “in love” with him already. So, are you? Wait. Don’t answer. I think what I saw in the park yesterday was good enough.”
           

He refused to look at her just in case she’d see the hurt in his eyes. What he missed though was that her eyes mirrored the same emotion as his.

“Some scenarios aren’t meant to be seen as it is. It’s not always what it seems. Enough about him. This arrow of yours. You said before that it’s special and created specifically for this mission. What does it look like?”


            “It’s twice longer, and heavier. The body is made up of gold and every gem you could think of, but what makes this arrow different from the rest is the tip – it has a broken-heart shape. The broken halves will only unite when the arrow is aimed and shot at the right person, in this case, YOUR true love.”

“What happens if he’s not my true love?”


            “The tip retains its shape and I get to lose my immortality. I’ll be forever banished to live as a human.”

“What if you shot yourself with it instead?” Seohyun asked carefully. There’s a plan brewing in her mind but she’s afraid to be figured out so soon. Fortunately for her, he wasn’t able to catch up on her train of thought.

“NOTHING. Every Olympian deity is immune to its effect, most especially, ME.”

“So much for planning to ‘stab’ him with it, Seo Joohyun. Of course he’s immune! It’s his own arrow, stupid.” She muttered and thought to herself. He looked at her curiously as if waiting for an explanation about those ‘mumblings.’ Instead, she changed her facial expression to convey ‘excitement.’

“So, where is it? I want to see!” she asked like an excited little girl waiting for her Christmas present.

 

“NO! I can’t risk you playing around with it!”


            “It’s not like I’m going to shoot some random guy. Palli! Show it to me, please!” she batted her eyelash at him and tried to work her hand at doing ‘aegyo.’ He almost fell for it. ALMOST.

“Andwae! I know you too well Seo Joohyun, and you’re not the type to ask me to show that damn arrow without a plan cooked up in that pretty head of yours.”

She felt irritated because he figured that she was planning something. In the end, she screamed out her frustration at him.

“BUT YOU SAID SO YOURSELF IT DOESN’T HAVE AN EFFECT ON YOU!!!”

“ARE YOU SAYING YOU’RE PLANNING TO SHOOT ME WITH MY OWN ARROW?!”


            “MORE LIKE STABBING YOUR HEART WITH IT! I don’t even know how to use a bow!”

“WHAT?! STAB?! YAH!”

 

They were quiet after the shouting spree until the rest of the topic of their conversation finally sunk in their heads. Seohyun felt her cheeks burn. She mentally scolded herself for saying those things.

 

“…Hy~un…” he called her ‘nickname’ affectionately but she knew him well enough to know that he’s messing around with her again.

“Go away!”

“Hahahaha! I knew it! You’re so into me! Hahahah! I am Seo Joohyun’s ideal type! Mehrong!”

“You’re not!”

“You can deny all you want but I’m not the one who said she’s going to stab my heart with that arrow. Hahaha! Arasso. I’m sorry. I’ll drop the subject. Come back here, Hy~un.”
           

“Shiro.”

She turned her back on him and quickly walked back towards the gazebo. He was faster, and he carried her back to the mat (even if she did pull his hair every now and then in protest).

“I think you just damaged my scalp!” he whined.

 “Stop being so vain.”

He continued to massage his head when she asked him another question.

“Why do you hate being called Eros?”

The question caught him off guard. Just a minute ago they were arguing and now she’s turned the situation all awkward with that question. Ah, now the white elephant is out in the open.

“Because that’s the name she gave me. Whenever I’d hear it, I am reminded of the “pain” of losing her. That’s why I ended messing up my job as the god of love because you mortals would often address me by that rather than my real name, Cupid or Yonghwa.”

The atmosphere suddenly turned solemn. The awkward tension was back.

“Eros…”

He turned towards her direction and their gazes met.

“Does it hurt? Did you feel that pain when I called you that?”

Her voice was shaking.

“No. I don’t feel it anymore.” I feel hurt seeing you look like that, instead.

“Did you…I mean…do you…do you still have feelings for her? Are you still in love  with her?”

Seohyun asked the last question so quietly it was almost a whisper. Yonghwa tore his gaze from her and chose to look up the sky.

“No. I was never in love with her. I know now that it was nothing more than a delusion. Isn’t it ironic that the god of love fell victim to a witch’s love potion? I don’t know how she came up with that concoction and I stopped being interested in anything that has to do with her. I hate her. I hate how she made the past 100 years of my life miserable just because my father never reciprocated her obsessive feelings.

Funny isn’t it? It took me a century to accept the truth that everyone else back home keep telling me. I feel sick just remembering how I defended her from all their insults.”

After another few seconds of silence, she asked,

“I want to hear the answer to this question straight from the god of love himself.”

“Ask away.”

“What is love?”

“Love is…” he purposely trailed off.

“Love is…?”

“Love is…that feeling that makes you go…Ahh…crazy..you can’t sleep because you keep thinking about that person.”

“Ey. What kind of answer is that?! Choding!”

“Haha! I was just kidding! Love is..it’s more than just a concept, or that romantic phenomenon you mortals are so fond of. It’s not just an emotion, but also a decision. Once you decide to love and give your heart to a certain person, you have already accepted the risk that comes along with it – be it any form of heartache or others.

To put an analogy…it’s like a homework or a problem that can’t be solved…it’s about giving freely without expecting anything in return..it’s like the wind, you can’t see it, but you can feel it; and lastly, love…Love is like chocolate – too much of it can be sweet, but it can leave a bitter taste. In short, love, for me, is bittersweet.

How about you? What is love to a girl named Seo Joohyun?”


            “Love is like a dandelion seed. In order for it to bloom, you have to protect it from the wind and nurture it with water and sunlight. It takes a lot of time, effort, willingness, and energy to do so but once it blossoms, it becomes very precious and beautiful.”

The silence didn’t last long. He broke the ice by teasing her again.

“Ah. As expected of the brainiac Seo Joohyun.”

“Yah! Why do you have to ruin the mood? Hmp.”

“Because it’s getting too serious. Haha!”

She tried to change the subject and check the time.

“How come it’s only 11pm? We’ve done so much with all the time-travelling and going across the world. It feels like it’s been more than 24 hours.”

It’s not that she wanted it to end, she’s just genuinely curious.

“Don’t you know? Because time stops when I’m with you.”

“Yuck. Save your cheesy pick-up lines for someone else.”

“Who said it’s a pickup line? I meant that literally. All thanks to this reliable clicker from Jonghyun/Chronos, the god of time! Hahahaha!” Yonghwa beamed as he proudly showed off that device he’s been using since that time he jumped from the window to ‘fly’ her off to work.

“Come on. Let’s go back to the gazebo. There’s one last thing we have to do before this date ends.”

They stood in front of the piano.

“Please. Can you play a song for me?”

She didn’t say a word as she took her seat. Yonghwa sat on her right side. She let her fingers dance on the keys as she played the song she’s been working on since that night they fought and he left.

You are the song

Playing so softly in my heart

I reach for you

You seem so near and yet so far

I hope and I pray

You'll be with me someday

I know down inside

You are mine and I'm your true love

Or am I dreaming

 

How can I

Each time I try to say goodbye

You were there

You looked my way, I touched the sky

We can share tomorrow and forevermore

I'll be there to love you so

You are my song

 

          She was bearing her heart through the lyrics. As the song reached its second half, Yonghwa placed his hands on the piano and followed along her lead as he sang.

 

I know for sure

That we were meant to fall in love

I look in your eyes

I know what you're thinkin' of

I try not to say

The words that might scare you away

I know down inside

You are mine and I'm your true love

Please, no more dreaming

 

          To say that she was surprised was an understatement. She was mind blown. She hasn’t finished writing the lyrics for the second verse. She tried several times but she was stuck, and now, he has completed it for her. They looked at each other and no one bothered to break off the eye contact. They sang the last part as if it was a well-orchestrated and practiced duet.

How can I

Each time I try you say goodbye

You were there

You looked my way, I touched the sky

We can share tomorrow and forevermore

I'll be there

To love you so

You are my song

You are my s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter