SIX: MYSTERIES UNRAVELLED

Broken Hearted Arrow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihyo entered her house with a smile on her face. Her Gary oppa agreed that tonight would be the last time they’d see each other as an engaged couple. The next time they do, it will be on their wedding day, which was only 3 days from now. Her smile disappeared as soon as she saw the uninvited guest.

          “What brings the mighty ruler of Olympus in my humble abode?” she didn’t bother hiding her sarcasm. She even did a fake bow as she said that.

          “Oh come on. Is that the way to treat an old friend? Are you still mad at me? It’s been a millennium since that happened, Eirene.”

            “You’re no friend of mine, and I would prefer if you call me Jihyo.”

            A moment of silence passed and then the both of them laughed at their poor attempt to act hostile to one another. They’ve had their share of misunderstandings and a huge fight that ensued right after, but those issues have been long settled.

          “You know you can come back to Olympus anytime you wish to. You haven’t even visited in 100 years!”

            “And you do know that coming back means I have to lose him right? For the worst actor in the bunch, you sure do compensate a lot by creating drama in everyone else’s lives. What’s the point of visiting? I don’t think I can handle another catastrophic situation. The last time I came to attend your birthday party, this Psyche witch inflicted havoc and we had to work on saving Cupid and Athena. Besides, Apollo/Yoon Han and Artemis/Soyeon aren’t there and I’d hate to bump into Hercules. You know I’m not good at handling awkward situations.”

            They sat down at her mini-bar and had their own glass of nectar wine, a gift that Yunho brought along with him.

            “You don’t have to worry about bumping into Hercules in Olympus. He’s been busy living the celebrity life on this world. The chances of you meeting him anytime anywhere is higher because you both are staying here, not just on earth, but in the same city and same country. Aigoo. Why do you guys adore Korea so much? I told him to go pick another place, but no, he had to follow you around. It’s a good thing though that he completely got over you when he fell in love with a fellow celebrity and demigod named Yoon Eunhye.”

            “What?!” Jihyo choked on her drink.

            “Hahaha! I’m surprised you didn’t even recognize him! He goes by the name Kim Jongkook by the way.”

            “So that’s why I feel irritated whenever I see that guy! I thought his overly buffed body was a turn off and it reminded me so much of Hercules. Turns out they’re one and the same. Aish. He did well by concealing his aura.”

            “Enough about him. I came here to catch up with an old friend. I keep forgetting about this, but did you really have to go to this length? Mwoyah?” Yunho said as he held a copy of Romeo and Juliet. Jihyo felt embarrassed to be reminded of that phase in her life and so, she tried to snatch the book from him.

          “I wrote that when I was really depressed and mad at you! Yah! Can we not talk about it, please? It’s so embarrassing!”

            Yunho ignored her attempts at covering up the subject as he flipped through the pages and recited the lines in a teasing tone:

"Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight!/ For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night."

"O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name.
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love
And I'll no longer be a Capulet!”

          “Puhahahahaha! I never knew you had it in you to be so poetic and melodramatic. I always thought you were the tough one. Ahh…but just like the rest, being involved in a star-crossed romance brings out this side! I wonder how the rest of the world will react when they find out that Romeo and Juliet was actually based on a forbidden love between an Olympian goddess and a Titan. It would alter the course of their history! Anyway, why did you have to disguise yourself as a man? William Shakespeare?! Where did you get that name by the way?”

            “It’s called a pseudonym you idiot! Besides, at that time, no one would pay attention to a brooding, semi-depressed, and heartbroken female playwright’s work. At least William Shakespeare sounds so much better than U-Know Yunho!”

            “Hey! U-Know is a cool name! Whatever you say, Eirene. I still can’t believe you chose that funny looking Titan over Hercules!”

            “And I still can’t believe you tried to marry me off to someone who loves his muscles more than anything! You should know by now that your wife’s matchmaking skills are terrible. And FYI. Gary oppa is not funny looking!”

            “Gary? Is that the name he goes by now? Hyperion sounded a lot better. I chose you over anyone else to spy on the Titans and learn about their plans because I thought you could handle the mission well. If I had known you’d fall in love with their prince, I never should’ve sent you there. Aigoo.”

            “If we didn’t fall in love with each other, then the war would have ensued and peace would never be possible. You should’ve thanked me for accomplishing my task as a goddess of peace but you were too busy listening to your annoying wife, Hera/Ara, to realize that what I did was for the common good. You banished me to the human world and it took a hundred years for you to calm down and before the other Titans finally agreed to set Gary oppa free.”

            “Arasso. I’m really sorry. I did come here to apologize. I was irrational when I did that. I regret it especially when Eris took over your place in Olympus! That nearly wiped off a race with the Trojan War!”

            “Serves you right!”

            “Yeah yeah I know. But you know my offer still stands right? You can go back to Olympus and live just as before.”

            “I’d go up and take your offer if you’d let Gary oppa come with me.”

            “Aish. You know that Titans and Olympians cannot stand each other. That request is next to impossible. I still consider it a miracle that the two of you managed to fall in love and are getting married despite it all!”
           

            “What can I say? True love conquers all. Tell everyone back home that they can come to the wedding. Everyone except Ara/Hera! Oh and what do you plan on doing with Cupid and Seohyun? You’re really cruel for playing around with their heart like that. Just tell them the truth already!”

            Yunho sipped his wine and didn’t even feel threatened or nervous.

          “Eyy. Telling them the truth at this point would spoil all the fun! Just like every movie, they need a conflict – one that would make them realize what is and what isn’t worth fighting for. They need something that would push them out of the boundaries of their comfort zones and I just provided that twist. They’ll thank me for this when it all ends. Oh and I’d like to complement you on taking care of Apollo and Artemis’s daughter. I applaud you for being able to stand her stubbornness, strength and wit! Haha!”

            Jihyo pushed him playfully and snorted. She responded to his accolade mockingly.

            “Why, thank you, your highness! I wouldn’t have had this babysitting job if it weren’t for your irrationality back then! Just because Artemis/Soyeon unnie helped me secretly meet up with Gary oppa, you had to let her daughter suffer for it. The poor girl! Even if she’s stubborn and all that, she’s still a sweetheart. It’s not such a bad thing to look after her.”

            “Does it matter? All those ‘punishments’ I gave backfired – you being banished to earth only for you to love it here & get your happily ever after with that funny-looking Titan. I issued the same judgment upon Apollo/Yoon Han and Artemis/Soyeon, with the intention of never letting their daughter experience the luxury and carefree life in Olympus during her childhood, only for it to backfire again because they had a happy family life in this world. I was the one who had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter