THREE: GETTING ‘CLOSER’ TO YOU

Broken Hearted Arrow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I am Cupid, the god of love and attraction. I am here to help you, Seo Joohyun, find your perfect true love.”

 

            “WHAT?!”

           

            Yonghwa wasn’t expecting such a reaction. Isn’t this the part wherein the girl would fall at his feet, stare at him with those dreamy eyes, and beg him to find her true love quickly?

 

          “I should’ve kept the Olympian robe than these clothes male mortals are so fond of!”  he thought to himself.

          He was offended with the way Seo Joohyun was glaring at him. How can she have the guts to make direct eye contact with a god?! He was beginning to be flustered with the intensity of her stare and so, he cleared his throat once more and tried to speak in a tone filled with authority and pride.

 

          “It seems like your hearing is impaired. For your sake, I am willing to reintroduce myself. I am Cupid, god of love and attraction. I am here to help you find your perfect true love.”

 

            Seohyun looked at him in disbelief and snorted. She even rolled her eyes and clucked her tongue. That action has fueled up Yonghwa’s anger. He was about to say something when she held out her hand to prevent him from doing so.

 

          “Is that the new excuse sick erted psychos who break into innocent people’s homes come up with nowadays? Mwoh?! Cupid?! Finding perfect true love?! You sound like one of those idiotic ads for dating agencies. Hahaha!”

 

            “YOU! HOW DARE YOU LAUGH AT ME!”

           

            “What are you gonna do, hit me with your arrow? Hahaha!” she continued to mock him.

 

          “YAH! Wait….you can see me?!!!”

 

            He knew for certain that his ‘invisibility’ cloak was still in effect (it only wears out after 100 hours, or when he decides to unveil himself to humans) so how is it possible that this woman can see him perfectly?!

         

          “DUH! I may have poor eyesight but I am not blind! There’s also no way in hell are you a figment of my imagination. Now, get out of here before I call the cops! Out! You really should take this opportunity to leave while I’m still showing you mercy.”

 

            She continued to shoo him out of her apartment until they reached her doorstep. Yonghwa was so shocked that he didn’t notice he was driven out of the place. She was about to shut the door when he stopped her.

 

          “WAIT! Where am I going to sleep?!”

         

          “I don’t know? Didn’t you say you were Cupid? Why don’t you go ahead and stay up in the clouds or something?!”

 

            “How dare you mock me! Don’t you know who I am?! I am Cupid, god of….”

           

            He tried to emphasize who he was once more but she held out her hand and interrupted his speech.

           

            “Yeah yeah, I heard you the first time, so cut it out ok? You sound like a broken record. Look, I’m tired and it’s late. I should be reporting you to the cops for trespassing or so but I’m really not up for it right now. I don’t care if you end up in the clouds or the streets tonight. It’s been a long day and I need to get my rest. So, bye!”

          She hurriedly slammed the door in front of his face. It was only then that their entire conversation replayed on his mind. Did he just make a fool of himself and asked her where he should stay for the night when in reality, he has unlimited VIP access to Hotel Zeus (oh the irony of the name; Zeus’s son, Lee Jonghyun/Chronos owns and manages the hotel; they’ve always been close friends; Jonghyun regularly visits Olympus when he feels like it) and has been staying there since the beginning of his mission? And what was that the woman told him? Go ahead and sleep in the clouds?!

            He has never felt so insulted in his entire existence. He wanted to punish this woman but at the same time he couldn’t. No matter how irritating she can be, he can’t even imagine hurting her.

 

“What is wrong with me?” he sighed and flew back to the hotel. His friend Jonghyun met him in the hallway. He laughed upon seeing him but said no more.

 

Tomorrow is a brand new day. I will find Seo Joohyun’s true love whatever it takes and whether she likes it or not.

 

 

Seohyun woke up and continued on her usual routine. She remembered the odd incident last night as she ate her breakfast.

 

“It must’ve been just a dream. What kind of man would claim himself to be Cupid and trespass my apartment? Haha!”

 

She thought nothing more of it as she grabbed her things and went out. As soon as she locked the door and turned around, she was startled to see “Cupid” standing behind her, with a playful smirk all over his face.

 

“Oh my gosh! You scared me! What do you think you’re doing?! Did you sleep out here last night?!!”

 

“Well, good morning to you too. To answer your first question, well, I’m doing nothing but standing here as I wait for you to come out. Second, I didn’t sleep here last night. I stayed over at Hotel Zeus.”

 

“You’re crazy, and I’m not. I don’t have time for your crap so get out of my way!”

           

            He refused to leave her alone. He continued to by blocking her path.

 

          “I thought I told you to step aside!”

            “Sorry, I don’t take orders from humans.”

            “And I don’t give a damn about phony dating agents!”

            “I’m not phony. I really am Cupid!”

            “And I really am going to be late if you don’t step aside and let me go my way! I still have to take the stairs FYI! And we’re on the 9th floor!!!”

           

          He didn’t say a word as he walked towards the hallway windows and stretched his hand as a sort of invitation.

          “Sorry but unlike you, I am not suicidal. I’d rather take the stairs than risk ending my life by jumping out the window.”

 

            “Aish! You really are infuriating!” he yelled before taking her in his arms forcefully and brought her to stand at the edge of the window.

 

          “AAHHH!! LET ME GO YOU SUICIDAL FREAK!!!! UMMA! APPA! ANYONE! HELP! SAVE ME FROM THIS LUNATIC!”

 

            “Can you please shut up?! You’re hurting my eardrums!!!!”

 

            Seohyun screamed louder.

 

            “AAAAHHHHH!!!!!”

 

            “Stop shouting! No one is going to hear you anyway! They’re frozen in time until I click this thing (a time device thing that Jonghyun lent him) back in place!”

 

            “AAAHHHH!! I’m too young to die! Go find another jump buddy! Spare me!! AAAAAAHHHH!!!!”

 

            “If you don’t shut up now, I’m going to kiss you!!!”

 

            “AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!”

 

            “I mean it!!!”

 

            “AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!”

           

            “I’m warning you!!!”

           

            “AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!”

 

            “Aish! You asked for it, Hyun. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!”

 

            Yonghwa said as he crashed his lips into hers. The bolt of electricity they felt was so exhilarating. They didn’t notice themselves closing their eyes and giving in to the kiss. Yonghwa involuntarily unfurled his wings as their lips moved in perfect synchronization.

           

            He groaned as he forced himself to break the kiss. He looked down at her, smiled, tuck her hair behind her ear as he whispered,

 

          “Hold on tight, Hyun.”

            “Huh…wha…what?...huh?”

            Without warning, he jumped and flew towards the sky. He felt her grip tighten and he can’t explain why he is elated with such reaction. He gently landed in front of her office building.

          “So, now do you believe me?”

            Seohyun didn’t say a word as she pushed him away and darted towards the building. Once inside, she dashed off towards the ladies room and splashed cold water all over her face.

          “It’s not real. He’s a freak. Am I crazy? Did I hallucinate? Oh my gosh I must be crazy! There is no way I would ever jump off the 9th floor and still be in perfect condition! Waah! Should I go see a shrink? Oh noo!”

            Her gaze drifted towards her swollen lips. Memories of the kiss flashed through her mind and she felt her heart beat fast. Was that kiss real too?!!

          “Did I just lose my first kiss to a erted suicidal psycho?! How can this be! I’m hallucinating…yes…that must be the explanation…none of what happened earlier is real. Calm down, Seo Joohyun. It’s nothing.”

            Jihyo entered the room and saw her dongsaeng engrossed in her self-talk.

          “Seohyunnie, are you ok?”

            She jumped as she felt someone touch her shoulder and was immediately relieved when she saw it was her unnie.

          “Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just stressed out or tired I guess…”

            “What happened to your lips?!”

            “Huh? Oh, this! It’s just allergies. I ate seafood this morning for breakfast…”

            Jihyo looked at her curiously before giving her a teasing smile. She playfully nudged her shoulder with Seohyun’s as she remarked,

          “Ey. I’ve been with you long enough to know that you’re not allergic to anything, not even seafood. So, who’s the guy? That must have been one hell of a kiss for our baby genius to lose her sense and make up the most ridiculous excuse ever!!! Hahahha! Come on, you can tell unnie. What’s his name? How old is he? Is he hot? Cute? Handsome? Rich? Palli! Haha!”

            “He’s no one! Argh! Unnie! Isn’t it about time we get to work? It’s almost 8am!”

            “So there is a guy! Haha!”

            “Unnie!”

            “Arasso. I won’t tease you anymore, but you must promise to let me meet him soon. Haha! Come along now. We’ve got work to do.”

          Seohyun was distracted for the rest of the day. Her colleagues noticed her odd behavior and would catch her staring into nothingness. It was a rare sight to see the ever efficient and workaholic Seo Joohyun slacking off with her duties.

          If that wasn’t enough, Yonghwa would pop out of nowhere and try to talk to her about this crazy idea of finding her true love and blah blah blah. She did her best to ignore him but there were times she got fed up and would quietly threaten him to leave her alone. Since no one else could see him but her (much to his curiosity too), her officemates would look at her confusingly, thinking she was losing her m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter