FOUR: CUPID IN ACTION

Broken Hearted Arrow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Tell me again what we’re doing here.”

          The three of them (Seohyun refused to go anywhere with Yonghwa without her Jihyo unnie) were sitting at the lobby of a real estate broker’s office. Jihyo sat in between them and sighed as she knew that another round of disagreements would soon begin.

          “Isn’t it obvious? We’re here to find you a better place to live in.” Yonghwa answered.

          “What’s wrong with my current apartment?! Besides, who is going to pay for this? I don’t see how this is relevant to anything!”

            “How can you live in that piece of trash?! The building looks like it’s going to fall apart anytime. The elevators are always under maintenance. The neighborhood itself looks like it houses every sort of thug and criminals. There is only one streetlight, and most of all, your place is so small! This is part of the ‘reinvention’ thing we discussed earlier. If you want to go and get the guy, then you better improve everything about yourself – inward & outward appearance and that includes your house.”

            “Ugh. You sound like some character in a chick flick. If he really is my ‘soulmate’ then shouldn’t he accept me for who I am? Why should I try so hard to impress him?!”

            “You’ve been yourself for the past 23 years and how has that gotten you in your love life? Nothing but a few terrible blind dates.”

            “YAH!”

            Sensing that the argument won’t end until she intervenes, Jihyo held up both hands to calm the two.

          “Aish! Can you both please shut up? If not, then lower the tone of your voices, will you? The two of you are practically yelling in my ears!”

          Seohyun glared at Yonghwa who only more by sticking his tongue out. She was going to say something when someone called their attention.

          “Mr. and Mrs. Jung? This way please.”

            Seohyun assumed that it was her Jihyo unnie and Yonghwa who’d be playing the role of a married couple but she felt herself stiffened when Yonghwa went to her side and took her hand in his. She looked at him accusingly but he ignored her glares. Jihyo silently followed behind and kept the laughter to herself.

          They were expecting to meet an older man/woman but were surprised to see a young man (who could pass off as a high school kid) greet them and introduce himself as the agent. The discussion took longer than expected because the two of them would disagree on almost everything.

          “Aish! Jinja you two! Did you bring me along to act as a referee?! Look. Narrow down the choices into 3 and then we’d decide once we see the place!” Jihyo scolded them. In the end, they finally found a place they both agreed on. The contract was signed and the payment was made in cash.

         

(guest room aka Yonghwa's room)

(Seohyun's room)

          He not only got her a house, but also a car. A white mini-cooper.

 

          “It is such a waste for your license not to be used. Besides, how would it reflect when you live in such a beautiful house but have to take the bus to work?!”

          She went into a hysterical fit when she caught him burning ALL of her clothes and shoes.

          “Don’t even think about saying ‘oh it’s such a waste you should’ve just donated it to charity!’ No one has to suffer wearing these rags. Let the curse end with you! hahahaha!”

He dragged her to the mall to shop for clothes, shoes, makeup, and other necessary accessories. Her Jihyo unnie had to forcefully lock her inside the dressing room until she agreed to fit into the clothes that Yonghwa chose for her.

He also found out that she had no problems with her eyesight. Just that, she wanted to keep the glasses on for the ‘sophisticated, modern woman effect.’ It was another messy battle when he kept scolding her to ditch the glasses. It was only after he threatened to silence her with a kiss did she reluctantly agreed, much to her embarrassment and to Jihyo’s amusement.

 The last stop was the salon. All eyes were on them, or rather, on Yonghwa, as soon as they set foot in the place. Seohyun was ushered to her seat as Yonghwa was busy talking to the stylist.

“Unnie, how can you allow him to do this?” Seohyun whined.

“I’m not the one who agreed to help him with his mission. Besides, what are you complaining for? He got you a house, a car, and even shopped for you! Aigoo, just seduce that god will you? Steal that arrow of his and shoot him with it! Haha!”

“UNNIE!”

Jihyo fell asleep in the waiting area while Yonghwa was busy writing the next step of the Reinvention Plan. After 2 hours, the stylist ushered Seohyun where the other 2 waited for her. There was a moment of silence and she stood there awkwardly. Jihyo and Yonghwa’s mouth were wide opened upon the stunning transformation. It was like a different Seo Joohyun standing before them. There was an inexplicable glow/aura surrounding her –a similar one that ONLY those from the Olympian crowd have. He shook that thought away and stood up.

“Perfect. She looks perfect. You did great, Kwanghee-sshi, Sunhwa-sshi.” The tandem clapped their hands and high-fived. Yonghwa turned to the blushing Seohyun, smiled as he told her,

“You’re so beautiful.”

Seohyun didn’t think it was possible for her face to get any redder than it already was but choosing not to give in to whatever odd feeling in her heart, she quipped,

“I know. Thanks. Although I really would’ve preferred if they chose a better-smelling hair dye.”

All of them laughed and then thanked the two before leaving the salon. Every now and then, Song Jihyo would catch him stealing glances at Seohyun. There was even a time wherein he’d just stare at her with his mouth wide open and be lost in a daydream. She wanted to laugh but knew better than to disrupt the moment.

“Things are going to be even more complicated, even if it never was in the first place. Leave it to Yunho to make a drama out of this situation.” She thought to herself.

          He felt his heart beating fast again. Despite his satisfaction and happiness over this change, he felt something he knew he shouldn’t: regret and jealousy. He’s becoming even more attached to this target of his. You can’t fall in love with her otherwise you’d fail. He’d remind himself of that every now and then.

          Since the basic parts of the reinvention plan has been covered, they now had to deal with her ‘dating’ skills. They’ve been working on it for some time. Jihyo was busy with her own wedding preparations so it’s usually just her and Yonghwa doing the ‘brainstorm’ or ‘dating lessons.’ It was a Friday evening (Yonghwa has taken the measures to ‘reside’ in the house despite her protests) and Seohyun found herself sitting in the living room, being quizzed about her ideal type.

          Yonghwa snapped his fingers and a slideshow of male celebrities were on display. Seohyun snorted.

          “What is this? Ideal world cup?”

            “Yah! Can you be more enthusiastic about this?! We would be saving time and effort if only you’d mention your ideal type.”

            “But I don’t have one! How many times do I have to tell you I’m not that interested in guys just yet!”

            “Are you…perhaps…interested in girls instead?”

            “WHAT?! NO! Ugh. I’m just not into the dating stuff, ok? It’s boring and a waste of time.”

            “Well you better start getting interested now if you want me out of the picture soon. or…you’re purposely dragging this off so you can spend more time with me? Hahaha! How many times do I have to tell you that I’m not on the menu? Hahaha!”

            “Get over yourself! If you love your immortality so much then you know better than to piss me off.”

            “Alright. Fine. Let’s just get back to the subject. How about this guy?”

          

“Nah. Too pretty.”

            “WHAT?! YOU DON’T LIKE WON BIN?!!! HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE WONBIN? TOO PRETTY?! MWOH? WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU LOOKING FOR? SOMEONE WHO LOOKS LIKE A DRUG ADDICT?! IT’S WON BIN! Aish! The entire nation is in love with him!”


            “Geez, chill. I’m starting to get the vibes that you’re the one who is in love with him. Is he your type? Ohhhh..is that right? Cupid finds another man attractive other than himself! Behold! The apocalypse is upon us! Haha!”

            “YAH!!!”

“Hahaha! Back to Won Bin. So what if everyone likes him? Does that automatically make me share the same sentiment?”

She asked, not even bothering to look up from the game she was so engrossed in – Flappy Bird. “It’s more interesting and entertaining than dating itself” she once told Yonghwa, much to his utter frustration.

          “Then who do you like?!”

            “YOU.” That was the first thing that popped into her head and it was a miracle she was able to stop herself from saying it out loud. She suddenly felt nervous. “He can’t read minds, right?! Why did I even think of that?!”

            She was panicking in her own mind when Yonghwa kept snapping his fingers in front of her face to bring back her attention.

          “Hey! Hyun! Focus! Now where were we?”

           

          The time has come to put those lessons to use. However, none of the dates he arranged for her went well. In fact, it’s safe to say that every single one of it was a catastrophe. Her strong personality/character, achievements, and tendency to lean towards boring topics for conversation pretty much scared them away.

 Yonghwa would scold at her when they got home and would often remind her of the things he went through just to search for the “most eligible bachelors” in the country. Jung Jinwoon, Lee Wongeun, Cho Kyuhyun, Kim Woobin, Xi Luhan, Im Siwan, Choi Minho, Park Hyungsik, Choi Siwon, Joo Jihoon, Lee Jongsuk, and even N (the young college boy who was ‘crazy’ over her; he practically ‘stalked’ her and sent her so many letters twice a day) gave up. None of them asked her for a second date, not even her phone number. All of them were eager to go home just half an hour within the ‘date’ when Seohyun would start blabbing about this new self-improvement book she’s into, current affairs both local and international, and every other topic that would send anyone into a snooze fest.

          Tonight was Date # 13. Seohyun was fed up with all of it and refused to get out of bed.

“What’s the point on going through all these dates?! What happened to the whole ‘You wouldn’t have to experience the pain of going through a breakup or being cheated on or suffer the doubts about whether you're with the right person or not. You’ll get it right, the first time’ speech of yours?! I thought you were here to make that happen!”

“I’m just trying to expand your choices! Let you meet these men and then you’d decide which one is your type. It wouldn’t reach this number if only you tried harder to at least give them a chance!”

“Expand choices? Meet all these men and choose which one is my type?! You think dating is just like shopping? Heol!  How dare you even call yourself a god of love! Stop torturing me by sending me into these stupid blind dates! We only agreed that you’d find me my “true love.” I repeat, true love. Singular. Not plural!”

She turned her back on him and hid herself under the covers. Yonghwa kept shaking her and tried every means to pull off that cover but she was stronger than he remembered.

“Hy~un!!! I promise this will be the last one! I have a good feeling about this!” he whined.

“Feeling?! Didn’t you say you were Cupid? Why is it taking so much time for you to find me my so-called ‘destiny?’ Don’t you have the ability to see a person’s partner or whatever?!”
           

“Ah…about that…I uh….hahaha….uh…”

“There’s something you’re not telling me and until you do so, I won’t get up from this bed. You can never count on me to help you with your mission unless you tell me everything. And I mean, EVERYTHING!”

He sighed. He’s caught and there’s no way out of this now but to tell her the truth –that he lost his love discernment ability; that’s the reason why he kept failing with each man he chose for her so far.

“When Yunho/Zeus gave me my final mission, he took away the defining characteristic of me being the god of love and attraction – the love discernment ability. It’s the ability that allows me to see a couple’s “aura” or that invisible bond that signifies their true love. Without it, I’m pretty much like you, mortals. I have to rely on my instinct and critical thinking in order to accomplish my work..hehe..”

When she heard this, she bolted to a sitting position, faced him, and yelled,

“WHAT?!!!!! So all this time, you were just ‘guessing?!’ YAH!!!! Couldn’t you have told me that in the first place?!”

“If I did, would you even agree to help me?” now he was trembling out of guilt and nervousness. His voice was loud but unstable as he said that.

“YES!”

The two of them were surprised at her answer. Even Seohyun couldn’t understand why she said that.

“I mean, if you wanted and needed my help so badly, the least you could do is to be honest with me.”

He scooted closer to her and held her chin as he said,

“You’re right. I’m sorry.”

There was that dugeun dugeun feeling again. As soon as it began, they immediately tried to distance themselves from each other.

“Now, go get ready! I have a feeling that this would be the end of your blind dates. Wear your hair down and I think it’s best if you pick that si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter